Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

GMS2 Censorship

Comments

  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    edited 12:33PM July 26, 2018
    Olujiwan wrote: »
    Because one of those is often used to be discriminatory and some people might take offense to it. Personally, I see no reason to allow you to use that name.

    I don't quite understand the reasoning behind this. Homosexual isn't a discriminatory word. I do agree there is no way to please everyone, but there is a point where it becomes ridiculous and Nexon has passed that point. Mabinogi was pretty bad as well when it came to the filtering of words. You all need to relax with that stuff.

    I remember back in Mabinogi I thought these words were censored because Nexon didn't like the LGBT community. So in a way, I think to censor these words are actually more offensive to the LGBT community if anything. It's almost like saying we can't talk about it and we are not recognized.

    But now to hear these words are blocked because they could possibly be offensive, is none sense. Any word can be used offensively if you really want to. And this means just about anything controversial or political has been used offensively. But by blocking these real words, you allow them to win and give the word power and you say you agree that it's bad to be these things. At least that is how it comes off.
    MissVanjieAnOldGeezer
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Posts: 274
    Member
    ... Is this serious? It should be neither bad or good. Telling yourself a now-derogatory word is good isn't going to be doing any favours either. If you're really willing to start fights over a word when other people use it, you shouldn't really be using it yourself and giving them a leg up about it. Better yet, learn what the word means to begin with. Also, that sort of attitude is why a lot of people are going to be homophobic to begin with, the exact nonsense they'd want to avoid. I know I would, I hate noisy people who put their fingers in their ears if it's something they don't agree with.

    homosexual/gay isnt a derogatory word though, why would you even say that?.... like i said, if someone uses gay as an insult, then that just means theyre ignorant, and the only person who should feel embarrassed is themselves. its 20gayteen, gay/homosexual isnt a derogatory word, if you use it in a derogatory way, then you obviously need to buy a dictionary and get educated. the f word on the other hand is something that can catch hands.

    and "if youre willing to start fights over words when other people use it. then you shouldnt be using it yourself"
    ... What? gay is an identity. you want us to stop saying our identity because you think not using it will stop people from using it derogatorily? nobody is going to do that. and even if we did, when does that ever work?
  • Masked_Masked_
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 670
    Posts: 10
    Member
    MissVanjie wrote: »
    the point they're making is that it isn't censored in-game.

    tbh some of those arent that bad such as murder and drugs, but i can see why hentai/ahegao are censored. i can see why they censored loli too even though the defenition isnt bad.

    what hentai?
    Do you guys know what hentai is, google it cause I don't see any here lol
  • AyriezAyriez
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    Posts: 18
    Member
    Just read that griffin book where a smol griffin loses his parents and village to an evil one-eyed villain, he trains and gathers allies to take down the evil villain, and in the end the villain is old and decrepit with a family, yet the smol griffin now adult griffin murders all but a smol griffin in his rage and the cycle repeats, he loses all his allies, and is the monster his revenge made him.

    But this is a game for kids, no content they wouldn't understand owo
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Posts: 274
    Member
    Masked_ wrote: »
    MissVanjie wrote: »
    the point they're making is that it isn't censored in-game.

    tbh some of those arent that bad such as murder and drugs, but i can see why hentai/ahegao are censored. i can see why they censored loli too even though the defenition isnt bad.

    what hentai?
    Do you guys know what hentai is, google it cause I don't see any here lol

    the word is censored....
  • PoofcatPoofcat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    Posts: 55
    Member
    edited 9:23AM July 27, 2018
    EMS wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that if they reduce the amount of censorship it will increase the age rating for the game which in turn has an impact on the number of players coming into the game?

    If the age rating goes from 12 to 16, or even 18+/R, Nexon will probably increase MTX prices through the roof because of a large decrease in income.

    This is the biggest issue you have to remember. Exposed skin is way more offensive to Americans than in many Asian countries, and even if there are only a few complaints you would be surprised what a few loudmouthed parents can do when they don't think their 13 year old should see skin.

    Also, those of you who are talking like the reason the censorship upsets you is because of some huge moral injustice or something.... we all know that's not what you're reeeeally upset about...
    Always_Hid
  • ReploidShamReploidSham
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,670
    Posts: 105
    Member
    Poofcat wrote: »
    we all know that's not what you're reeeeally upset about...

    Hell yes I like boobies, but having things change as little as possible is more of a thing I like because I simply don't like change. The new subject is censorship of language/words, though, and I have seen some odd word censors already. Like Maple.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    edited 3:25PM July 27, 2018
    Poofcat wrote: »
    Also, those of you who are talking like the reason the censorship upsets you is because of some huge moral injustice or something.... we all know that's not what you're reeeeally upset about...

    As an artist, I absolutely do have a problem with censorship even if it's not something I particularly want to see. The great thing about not wanting to see something and having the ability to control my eyes and where I go, I don't have to see it if I don't want to. But I don't think just because I don't want to that no one should be able to.

    Now do I like to see skin? Absolutely. Is that a factor in not wanting it censored? Yes, of course. Is it the only reason? No, of course not. It would be disingenuous to sum it up as people just wanting to see skin just because it happens to be a factor.
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    Posts: 246
    Member
    edited 10:37AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
    Alexmo
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    Posts: 246
    Member
    edited 10:37AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
    Alexmo
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Posts: 274
    Member
    Xenophobia wrote: »
    As for non-clothing related censoring, I wouldn't want those old, racist cartoons censored

    wait, hollon.. there are racist cartoons in this game??
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    Posts: 246
    Member
    edited 10:37AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
  • AlexmoAlexmo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,000
    Posts: 61
    Member
    MissVanjie wrote: »
    Xenophobia wrote: »
    As for non-clothing related censoring, I wouldn't want those old, racist cartoons censored

    wait, hollon.. there are racist cartoons in this game??

    You do realize she's making an analogy right?
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Posts: 274
    Member
    Xenophobia wrote: »
    No, obviously not.

    Seems like you're not honestly asking and just making some type of joke off what I said. In which case, forget it. :rolls eyes:

    no i was being serious. the fact that you said "those" made me think that they were actually in the game. it shouldve been worded differently
    Alexmo wrote: »
    You do realize she's making an analogy right?

    yes, but that doesnt meant that its not in the game.
  • MahmuMahmu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 115
    Member
    edited 6:12PM July 28, 2018
    Lol i didnt expect this to get 15 pages
    I also dont remember typing some of what was said by me

    On the censorship note, some words in-game need to be looked at
    Things such as:
    Drug dealer
    Druggy
    *sound out* 'Knee-grow'(Black in spanish so idk - was removed from forum so should be in-game too?)
    Rapist
    Murder
    Murderer
    Taliban
    Genocide
    Drugs(apparently in-game stuff so idk)
    Kinky
    Kink
    Cocaine
    Cracker
    'I will murder you'
    Three&foursome(again idk)


    are not censored
    but ahegao/hentai/loli is


    basically my thread, your thread and @WatchGintama 's thread got merged and made a difference in the game.
  • MahmuMahmu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 115
    Member
    edited 6:19PM July 28, 2018
    I get that most of us are already happy but some of us still think that this is a kids game that should be censored...
    NEWS FLASH!
    3l30U1R.png
    vzHJxcw.png

    Doesnt even give an option for "Kids"
    idontreallyknowmanSelpharionIink
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,450
    Posts: 541
    Forum Moderator
    I won't quote all of you, because that would be a wall of text but here is my general response;

    I see where all your arguments are coming from and I personally believe that nothing people say should be seen as racist, derogatory, discriminating... etc... And I mean that in the sense that I wish that nothing people would/could say would be perceived as such because it simply didn't cross those on the receiving end as one of the above.

    However, the sad truth is that the world doesn't work that way right now. As Fluffster mentioned that is some serious backward logic, but unfortunately, not everyone will agree with that. In most public settings you will need to be as neutral as you can possibly be. Especially if you're in the business of making money. While I have personal views that strongly disagree with certain decisions taken that dismiss or ignore a bigger problem, I cannot fault them for doing so.

    Why? Because unless everyone starts looking in the same direction, you will always offend/harm someone's personal beliefs. Which means we should respectfully try to convey a more open way of thinking about those subjects. Which is, and always has been, a very slow process. History will back that up for me.

    In the recent years I have been trying to develop my way of thinking on some of the most controversial topics, and what helped me a great deal was to really try and put myself in the heads of those I disagree with... even if I disagree on a fundamental level. Try and do that. Don't say you will, but really put yourselves there.

    And first and foremost; don't ever assume someone else is wrong because you disagree, no matter the subject. Respect each other's opinion. You have no right to make assumptions on why or how a person came to their beliefs, however wrong they may be from your perspective.
    Alexmo
  • idontreallyknowmanidontreallyknowman
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,060
    Posts: 188
    Member
    Poofcat wrote: »
    EMS wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that if they reduce the amount of censorship it will increase the age rating for the game which in turn has an impact on the number of players coming into the game?

    If the age rating goes from 12 to 16, or even 18+/R, Nexon will probably increase MTX prices through the roof because of a large decrease in income.

    This is the biggest issue you have to remember. Exposed skin is way more offensive to Americans than in many Asian countries, and even if there are only a few complaints you would be surprised what a few loudmouthed parents can do when they don't think their 13 year old should see skin.

    Also, those of you who are talking like the reason the censorship upsets you is because of some huge moral injustice or something.... we all know that's not what you're reeeeally upset about...

    I'm upset because they're censoring base game outfits to be appropriate but will sell bikinis in the cash shop with NO issues whatsoever.

    They're only censoring to force you to pay for skimpy outfits.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    Olujiwan wrote: »
    In most public settings you will need to be as neutral as you can possibly be. Especially if you're in the business of making money.

    I personally think some companies should actually stop just trying to please everyone and stand up against ridiculousness. Rather than caving into a mob of people who are not even playing the game and censoring it just to avoid controversy. It's like meeting the demands of terrorists. Always a bad idea because it gives them power. It makes their cause seem legitimate. It also makes the companies look like they agree with those people when they apologize and do as they say.

    If it's about money, there is proof it's not an issue. Kingdom Come: Deliverance has had a lot of controversy due to one of the devs political views and was even attacked directly by media, and it still sold extremely well. I think it's important that if you are a business, taking risks is sometimes part of doing well and coming out ahead.

    Not to mention, I tend to see the exact opposite happen. Companies that fold and decide to try and meet the demands of these crazies end up with a game that flops. It almost turns into a joke.
    AnOldGeezerReploidSham
  • FumalaoFumalao
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    Post: 1
    Member