Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

The East/West NA splitting for CBT2...

Comments

  • YasunokunYasunokun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 25
    Member
    Yasunokun wrote: »
    I still think that instead of an actual separate "server" that they should have done regional channels. And don't say that is not possible, because Mabinogi server channels are actual servers on their own that you connect to with the client and transfer between them. They could technically name the channels for clarity very easily:

    Ch 1 (West)
    Ch 2 (East)

    Obviously there would be more channels than that. But yeah, I don't get why they couldn't have just done regional channels inside one connect/lobby server instead. Then if you were socializing you could be on whatever channel, and if you were trying to raid or something else be on a regional channel in your area.

    Ayeee, the patch notes. They listened.

    Adding 2 East Channels in West, and 2 West Channels in East.
  • mmviimmvii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,995
    Posts: 661
    Member
    Wow neat, so I guess we can access the other server in those 2 channels.
  • YasunokunYasunokun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 25
    Member
    mmvii wrote: »
    Wow neat, so I guess we can access the other server in those 2 channels.

    I don't think that is their intention for this.

    It's more to test how your connection is when they mix and match regional channels like this. I play East, and lag slightly on West. So now I can try the East channel in the West server to see if my connection is improved. If this works, then hopefully we will go back to 1 NA server in the future, but with West and East channels. Tis my dream for a non divided community lol.
    mmviiPetalmagic
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,090
    Posts: 270
    Member
    Yasunokun wrote: »
    mmvii wrote: »
    Wow neat, so I guess we can access the other server in those 2 channels.

    I don't think that is their intention for this.

    It's more to test how your connection is when they mix and match regional channels like this. I play East, and lag slightly on West. So now I can try the East channel in the West server to see if my connection is improved. If this works, then hopefully we will go back to 1 NA server in the future, but with West and East channels. Tis my dream for a non divided community lol.

    I hope you are right...i've been playing NA-East as a West player...but I love my guild so I don't really care about ping. Id love to be able to draw in other westerners to my guild though :3
  • seventyseventy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 680
    Posts: 14
    Member
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Yasunokun wrote: »
    mmvii wrote: »
    Wow neat, so I guess we can access the other server in those 2 channels.

    I don't think that is their intention for this.

    It's more to test how your connection is when they mix and match regional channels like this. I play East, and lag slightly on West. So now I can try the East channel in the West server to see if my connection is improved. If this works, then hopefully we will go back to 1 NA server in the future, but with West and East channels. Tis my dream for a non divided community lol.

    I hope you are right...i've been playing NA-East as a West player...but I love my guild so I don't really care about ping. Id love to be able to draw in other westerners to my guild though :3

    Tempted. Need a guild but NA West seems a little too quiet.
  • YasunokunYasunokun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 25
    Member
    Tested my west character, on the east channel. No small lags anymore like I had before on the normal west channels. \o/
  • LuxxLuxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,255
    Posts: 56
    Member
    edited 4:29PM July 24, 2018
    I don't like splits myself.
    Why? because have x amount of servers (like MS1 for a great example)
    one or more sides die and Nexon REFUSES a merge...ever.
    Plus some of our friends are in different places so it's a bit of a strain there too.
    Vindi west server was super dead before East...
    I'm scared this will be a dead game because of the split. /:
  • UnlimitedUnlimited
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 12,650
    Posts: 200
    Member
    edited 5:12PM July 25, 2018
    East and West? What is this, Union vs Confederate States? What kind of gimmick are you trying to do here again? Are you that confident of the state of this game to attract players that you are willing to split the NA-Server into 2 when you already have 20 channels(that much channels that a lot of MMOs do not have)? Do you think Quebec should be a country of it's own just because they speak French and have their own unique culture?

    Just make it a single Server! East and West? What is this? LMAO!
    GloomEnchantedWarmthBoundless
  • LuxxLuxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,255
    Posts: 56
    Member
    edited 5:35PM July 24, 2018
    Unlimited wrote: »
    East and West? What is this, Union vs Confederate States? What kind of gimmick are you trying to do here again? Are you that confident of the state of this game to attract players that you are willing to split the NA-Server into 2 when you already have 20 channels(that much channels that a lot of MMOs do not have)? Do you think Quebec should be a country of it's own just because they speak French and have their own unique culture?

    Just make it a single Server! East and West? LMAO!
    Did you really make several accounts to upvote yourself?
    OMEGALUL.
    seventyCheerMissVanjie
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    Posts: 248
    Member
    edited 5:03AM July 25, 2018
    The problem is the community not the server. The game will bring enough people for 2 servers but right now since its a close beta people are going to east because "everyone" is going there.

    Nexon can barely handle it when ms1 gets a little too crowded. I can't even imagine the shet fest on launch day if they are stupid enough to launch the game with one server.
  • RapthorneRapthorne
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,235
    Posts: 41
    Member
    Given the size of the USA and how the ISP routing works over there, having an east and west coast server makes sense from a latency point of view. Yes, it may split the NA community, but it means better options for those living in the areas that would usually get hit with insanely high ping rates if there was only one server for all of North America.
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Posts: 274
    Member
    i think it would be best to LAUNCH with 2 servers, then merge after a month or 2. that way all of the fake excess players will have left (bcuz they take up queue spots, resulting in long queues and more lag at launch) and the playerbase will be loyal by that point (because yall fr harsh, like OF COURSE a game is going to have problems at launch, so stop playing the game for a few minutes and once you see lag go off talking about how crappy the game is. after a few days all those problems will be solved anyway, so stop quitting a game just because of a bad launch *eyeroll*)

    and because the playerbase will be loyal and actually PLAYED the game, if the merge results in some problems theyll probably not quit.

    if theyre not willing to merge servers ever, then they should launch with 1 server, point blank period.

    but also they should really have an open beta with a break in between the launch. that way they can stress test the servers instead of just going straight into launch (idk why games dont do that, like what?? *eyeroll again*) because a closed beta with 3k people is litterally like 30% or less of the actual amount of people going to play the game. so if there was a soft launch/open beta, yall cam see how the launch COULDVE turned out if yall just up and launched it right there. then of course they can fix up all the complaints and the launch wil be smooth because yall been solved all the problems that couldve happened.
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    Posts: 248
    Member
    Open beta basically mean release nowadays so they can’t have an open beta then launch since open beta count as launch.
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Posts: 274
    Member
    edited 4:09PM July 25, 2018
    HoIy wrote: »
    Open beta basically mean release nowadays so they can’t have an open beta then launch since open beta count as launch.

    but cant they have open beta/launch test, then wait a few days/weeks to release
  • LuxxLuxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,255
    Posts: 56
    Member
    edited 4:17PM July 25, 2018
    MissVanjie wrote: »
    HoIy wrote: »
    Open beta basically mean release nowadays so they can’t have an open beta then launch since open beta count as launch.

    but cant they have open beta/launch test, then wait a few days/weeks to release
    Well, Open Beta is basically release.
    The difference is, Open Beta is subject to change or wipes just like closed but
    it's a free for all and such a rare feat to wipe all.
    So anyone can start playing. Sometimes when they go "Full Release"
    they have neat events or OB events to celebrate. Anymore "Beta's with a wipe"
    will just make me not play, so I hope this is the last one. It's pretty solid as is
    with a few more tweaks needed here and there but it's almost done imo.
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    Posts: 248
    Member
    I don’t think open beta wipe anymore since he community associate open beta with full release.

    Launch day is also important because first impression is everything.
  • UnlimitedUnlimited
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 12,650
    Posts: 200
    Member
    edited 4:38PM July 25, 2018
    Open-Beta is soft-launch, it's the same thing as launch! Once progression is permanent, the game already launched! It doesn't matter if it's literally correct or not, that's what it is to the player-base. If Bless Online will not wipe anymore, do you still think it can be saved because it's still in Early Access? No, it's already gone, it's not in the limbo, it already descended to hell. Once progression is permanent, that's it! Can you say the Titanic is still an active ship right now? No, it already sank a century ago. What are we gonna put on documentations? We will put that it sank and leave it at that!
    Once we go Open-Beta, do not flop this up because there is no saving it at that point! When there is an Open-Beta(some games do not have), there is no such thing as an official-launch to people who understand marketing. What difference will it make if progression have already been carved in to stone?
    GloomEnchantedWarmthBoundless
  • YasunokunYasunokun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 25
    Member
    edited 2:48PM July 27, 2018
    I find it weird that some people in here are still arguing for 2 servers, when having regional channels is literally the same thing as 2 servers. When you are picking Server West or Server East you are connecting to a lobby server.

    When you enter into the game into a channel that is another server, just in the east or west region Datacenter. Each channel itself is an individual server so the load is already separated between 20 servers, 40 if you include both west and east.

    The ISP / Lag comment is unnecessary, because even if you have 1 lobby server (BigLeaf) but have 20 West Region Channels, and 20 East Region Channels the problem is still solved but there is no need for a potential server merge they might not bother doing. And no one is split, and you can socialize on any channel and do raids on your regional channel.
    TheChaosLegend
  • YasunokunYasunokun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    Posts: 25
    Member
    edited 2:48PM July 27, 2018
    Accidental Second Post.
  • TheChaosLegendTheChaosLegend
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,030
    Posts: 850
    Member
    Yasunokun wrote: »
    I find it weird that some people in here are still arguing for 2 servers, when having regional channels is literally the same thing as 2 servers. When you are picking Server West or Server East you are connecting to a lobby server.

    When you enter into the game into a channel that is another server, just in the east or west region Datacenter. Each channel itself is an individual server so the load is already separated between 20 servers, 40 if you include both west and east.

    The ISP / Lag comment is unnecessary, because even if you have 1 lobby server (BigLeaf) but have 20 West Region Channels, and 20 East Region Channels the problem is still solved but there is no need for a potential server merge they might not bother doing. And no one is split, and you can socialize on any channel and do raids on your regional channel.

    This except the only problem I found right now is the last part hasn’t been integrated. When you enter a dungeon (solo or party) it is hosted on the overarching server you joined (opposed to seeing what channel you are in)