Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.
Closed

[Feedback] PvP

Comments

  • FriendshipFriendship
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,460
    Posts: 28
    Member
    pvp died today in cbt2.
    rust cleared cdev, and gm carried people with legendary weapons in other servers.
    it's just extremely non-interactive now. there can not be a discussion about class balance if we can't standardize gears first.
    XeenDread
  • ZerolioZerolio
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,915
    Posts: 107
    Member
    When I hit level 50 for the first time, I got a pop-up from the game to try the arena, I read "Queue up with players of a similar level", then I thought "Oh great then maybe I will not get super smashed and can practice my PvP skills".

    But then I entered, dealt a full wizard combo on my rival dealing 15% of his total HP while he dealt 70% of my HP with just 1 skill.

    This is how you want us to "try arena" once we hit level 50? xD
    RedvannKrowieMano
  • coffee4evercoffee4ever
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    Posts: 2
    Member
    Aside from some of the suggestions above something I consider to be important is the choice to exit the arena. You just happen to brain fart and queue for a dungeon that you have been wanting to raid, then the arena pops and there is no choice to leave it the queue. You are kicked instantly from the dungeon, and in to pvp!
  • RaznRazn
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 435
    Posts: 19
    Member
    I disagree with the need for normalizing gear for pvp. Look at GW2 arenas, it's non existent because of gear normalization. Look at Tera and BDO, all of the arenas/battlegrounds with gear normalization is dead.

    You're playing an MMO-RPG. Emphasis on RPG, part of what makes a "good player" for Mmorpg is your success at obtaining/enchanting gear. It's the character progression and development that draws players in and make it rewarding. You add gear normalization and you end up negating all the work/time invested into developing your main character.

    That said, there for sure needs to be something implemented to lessen the gear discrepancy between players. That or do what other MMOs have done in the past, which is separate PVE gear and PVP gear. That way you invest time and effort into the aspect of the game you want to excel in and are rewarded for that. I don't think anyone will cry if they get trounced by someone who is geared with pvp gear (if the only way to obtain it is through their own pvp merits).

    I take that back. People will find a way to cry. :)
  • XxViBeXxViBe
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,295
    Posts: 50
    Member
    Either equalize stats or make pvp gear a thing getting 1 shot sucks
  • AxyAxy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,020
    Posts: 85
    Member
    Razn wrote: »
    I disagree with the need for normalizing gear for pvp. Look at GW2 arenas, it's non existent because of gear normalization. Look at Tera and BDO, all of the arenas/battlegrounds with gear normalization is dead.

    You're playing an MMO-RPG. Emphasis on RPG, part of what makes a "good player" for Mmorpg is your success at obtaining/enchanting gear. It's the character progression and development that draws players in and make it rewarding. You add gear normalization and you end up negating all the work/time invested into developing your main character.

    That said, there for sure needs to be something implemented to lessen the gear discrepancy between players. That or do what other MMOs have done in the past, which is separate PVE gear and PVP gear. That way you invest time and effort into the aspect of the game you want to excel in and are rewarded for that. I don't think anyone will cry if they get trounced by someone who is geared with pvp gear (if the only way to obtain it is through their own pvp merits).

    I take that back. People will find a way to cry. :)

    Something tells me you haven't played tera for much time at all, the only equalized battleground still pops regularly, and the 3v3 arena is dead af besides the small community that uses equalized gear. And as for bdo, I'm not quite sure what you mean because i haven't played it in a year but what I recall from playing it is that gear was absolutely broken.

    Asking for the only competitive aspect of the game to be made a bit more equalized, so that someone who is coming into the game late or cant play the game as much as the next guy won't have to take extra time to get past the massive gear wall to be able to start having fun and focusing on what they want to do isn't us "crying". In fact I'd personally be ok with it not being equalized, if gear didnt make such a massive difference in pvp.
  • RamzaRamza
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,135
    Posts: 28
    Member
    edited 11:22AM July 23, 2018
    Axy wrote: »
    And as for bdo, I'm not quite sure what you mean because i haven't played it in a year but what I recall from playing it is that gear was absolutely broken.

    It still is, to my knowledge BDO still has no actual "equalization", just a system which will balance two team's gearscores so one team doesn't end up with all ~400gs players while the other has 550+. In my experiences trying it basically meant you still get stomped if you're below softcap GS, you just might have a chance at actually fighting someone at or near your gearscore before you get stomped. I could be wrong since its been 2~3 months since I last played.

    BDO's PvP is an example of a potentially really good, fun system utterly ruined by poor developer choices and the over reliance of gear over player skill. Recent patches have only made things worse.

    Hopefully MS2 won't go down that same road over here.
    I do agree with others though, seeing as how we seem to have beefier gear stats here, we'll probably need beefier stats on PvP gear too to compensate, rather than just a copy+paste from what KR has now.
  • AxyAxy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,020
    Posts: 85
    Member
    Ramza wrote: »
    Axy wrote: »
    And as for bdo, I'm not quite sure what you mean because i haven't played it in a year but what I recall from playing it is that gear was absolutely broken.

    It still is, to my knowledge BDO still has no actual "equalization", just a system which will balance two team's gearscores so one team doesn't end up with all ~400gs players while the other has 550+. In my experiences trying it basically meant you still get stomped if you're below softcap GS, you just might have a chance at actually fighting someone at or near your gearscore before you get stomped. I could be wrong since its been 2~3 months since I last played.

    BDO's PvP is an example of a potentially really good, fun system utterly ruined by poor developer choices and the over reliance of gear over player skill. Recent patches have only made things worse.

    Hopefully MS2 won't go down that same road over here.
    I do agree with others though, seeing as how we seem to have beefier gear stats here, we'll probably need beefier stats on PvP gear too to compensate, rather than just a copy+paste from what KR has now.

    Ah ok, wasn't around for when the arena came out, but yeah from what I can recall BDO was almost an entirely gear dependent game.
  • MutekiMuteki
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    Posts: 3
    Member
    =p just my 2c

    I personally play a game for the PVP element in every game.

    Instead of making it hard for player and developer likewise, i suggest:
    - Make the items the same stats during Arena,
    Or you can make 2 arena version, 1 with individual item stats and 1 with same, balance stats.
    From the feedback, i would see 80% people will play on the same balance stats arena.
    PVP is to have fun and test our team work

    Another solution is to make the items & enchanting much easier to get & achieve so everyone can have similar to close base stats.

    Then how can you be unique and Nexon earn revenue?
    - Visual Cosmetics and the random rolling of substats bonuses on equipments (this wont affect greatly in PVP) substats just to adjust your play style or build. (both of this already in game)

    Below some pvp modes that i think can be fun

    Add on PVP mode, with rewards and ranking
    Last team standing - divide into 2 or 4 sides colour, distribute evenly player's class and level. last team standing wins.
    Protect the leader - Auto appoint 2-4 leader and team colour, ( max 80 players in a map?)

    Guild war & special maps (challenge & ranked weekly) Rewards - also charge the participating guild to buy a guild war ticket -another revenue
    - team death match
    - defend the X
    - Capture 3 X style
  • DamoDamo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 215
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Please introduce equalized pvp for arena. Also I think loot from arena shop should be changed a little, Obedience belt is one of the easiest way to increase gearscore for PVE and feels like a "must have" to push content. The gearscore should be lowered so not everyone has to PVP for a PVE requirement, or if this is intended for PVE players to do some PVP, extended the duration of the belt.

    On another note I've noticed as a priest using Holy Relic, the animation doesn't reflect the actual Area of Effect of the skill very well. Instances where people get knocked back when it looked like they weren't touched by the skill.
  • RaznRazn
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 435
    Posts: 19
    Member
    edited 8:32AM July 24, 2018
    As for my reference to BDO, you guys not knowing what I'm talking about is my point. There's an equalized Red Battlefield that no one uses lol. It's there but no one plays in it. All the gameplay that people participate in involves the gear that they've accumulated through progression. I'm in a top 3 siege guild in BDO NA. You can only find pvp in non-normalized environments (ex - open world, node wars, siege wars, normal red battlefields).

    That said, I think BnS has a decent take on implementing pvp gear. There's no restrictions on using pve gear in pvp or vice versa. The inherent difference between the two gear types is the inclusion of crit defense. Having high crit defense gives you a clear advantage over pve gear. This makes pve gear not obsolete but at a clear disadvantage if they can barely land any crits on you.
  • MidnightNyaMidnightNya
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,790
    Posts: 104
    Member
    edited 10:08AM July 24, 2018
    PvP Gear seems like it'll solve the issue so long as it's the best choice at all times even compared to +legendary PvE Gear.

    To satisfy everyone, there could be a gear-based PvP and a skill-based PvP mode. Former pits your PvE'esque skills against each other, while the latter can have the skills adjusted and lolesports balanced. Of course a clear distinction should be made so players know which is which if this does occur.

    Deciding on just one however, I'd rather equalized gameplay (classes are balanced specifically against each other, skills as well. The player's choice being how they put their existing skill points/ability points. Since this could be different from PvE however I'd recommend a PvP tab for each of these).

    Winning just because you're of the 1% hardcore gamers - it's gear vs. gear instead of player vs. player at that rate - especially for your audience who may not have as much time to spend on the game but would still enjoy PvP.
    BNDWarame
  • FriendshipFriendship
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,460
    Posts: 28
    Member
    tfw the people against pvp gear don't even really pvp in ms2
    Axy
  • AequariusAequarius
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,090
    Posts: 19
    Member
    edited 12:00PM July 24, 2018
    Imagine you're a new player and you fight against this kind of person qtXSjga.png ... PVP Gear is mandatory for anyone wanting to compete with other players without the need to go through the PvE gearing process, which is pretty hard without the free +10 upgrade events.
    AxyFriendship
  • AxyAxy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,020
    Posts: 85
    Member
    Friendship wrote: »
    tfw the people against pvp gear don't even really pvp in ms2

    Yep because the moment they'd actually queue and go against someone with legendaries, they'd understand(assuming they don't have any themselves)
  • ChasuChasu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 26
    Member
    edited 5:45PM July 24, 2018
    Please add PvP gears, otherwise new players will stand 0 chance to PvP or even learn because the gear gap is too huge.
    I don't think hardcore PvPers would want skills in PvP to be irrelevant because just because someone is more funded (or p2w).
    PvP with similar gears
    PvP with huge gear difference
    FriendshipAlziiscllAxyBNDWarame
  • BrosephineBrosephine
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,070
    Posts: 17
    Member
    edited 6:16PM July 24, 2018
    Just, make the players run around naked giving punches (all equal damage, and equal defenses no matter what they wear) to each other and you'll have your drama free zone XD You could even allow it to be played at low levels. Oh the joy. Sometimes things are juuust so simple.

    But if the korean version has some pvp gear, why not.

    Or even divide people in different arenas based on their gear?
  • AxyAxy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,020
    Posts: 85
    Member
    Chasu wrote: »
    Please add PvP gears, otherwise new players will stand 0 chance to PvP or even learn because the gear gap is too huge.
    I don't think hardcore PvPers would want skills in PvP to be irrelevant because just because someone is more funded (or p2w).
    PvP with similar gears
    PvP with huge gear difference

    Thank you for this, it was a well needed showcase of the current state of PvP.
  • BambinoバーサーカーBambinoバーサーカー
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
    Posts: 9
    Member
    Chasu wrote: »
    Please add PvP gears, otherwise new players will stand 0 chance to PvP or even learn because the gear gap is too huge.
    I don't think hardcore PvPers would want skills in PvP to be irrelevant because just because someone is more funded (or p2w).
    PvP with similar gears
    PvP with huge gear difference

    hmm kinda boring looking at the PVP, and the jumping makes it weird looks bad... better of dodge dmg instead jumping (does not sell well to the viewwers)... looks like just a random smashing jump and skill 1,2,3

    can we get a refund lol
  • ChasuChasu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Posts: 26
    Member
    edited 8:05AM July 25, 2018
    Chasu wrote: »
    Please add PvP gears, otherwise new players will stand 0 chance to PvP or even learn because the gear gap is too huge.
    I don't think hardcore PvPers would want skills in PvP to be irrelevant because just because someone is more funded (or p2w).
    PvP with similar gears
    PvP with huge gear difference

    hmm kinda boring looking at the PVP, and the jumping makes it weird looks bad... better of dodge dmg instead jumping (does not sell well to the viewwers)... looks like just a random smashing jump and skill 1,2,3

    can we get a refund lol

    With the current players yeah, because they are new to the game. If I do the same trick with some of the experienced pvpers I will lose 100% because it's too easy to read. In another server I'm actually low tier pvper

    tldr I actually suck at pvp
This discussion has been closed.