Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.
Closed

[Feedback] Pet Taming

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 68,850
Administrator
edited 11:48AM July 18, 2018 in Closed Beta 2 Feedback
Please leave your feedback regarding the new Pet Taming system.
RemsyBuizeISháng

Comments

• DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 33,475
    edited 4:24PM July 18, 2018
    Pet Taming should not be locked to level 50.
    It's the perfect skill to accompany you from early levels, actually creating progression as you are able to collect increasingly stronger and better pets and giving you an early incentive to explore and do other things than simply rushing to end game. Instead, you're maknig it into yet another reason why people want to skip everything in the game just to get to 50 and then get everything thrown in their face at once, which makes absolutely no sense.

I assume nobody is level 50 yet, but so far I can see that the amount of pets is heavily abundant on every map (even considering that nobody is hunting them). To make pet taming a decent challenge and not just another daily to farm, consider lowing the spawn rate considerably. Of course it shouldn't be so low that people will start camping and fighting over them, but make it so you at least feel satisfaction when you find one. Right now you walk through a map and find maybe 5-10 hungry monsters clumped together which again just looks wrong. Just like the life skill nodes that are also always clumped together when it makes no sense in the game world.
    Agent_DragonfuryLilSleepyFoxLinVegaBagoCariseiAnaHeartillyLyraVerloBrosephineVixieand 15 others.
  • VanicleVanicle
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,945
    edited 12:31PM July 19, 2018
    DanDK wrote: »
    It's the perfect skill to accompany you from early levels, actually creating progression as you are able to collect increasingly stronger and better pets and giving you an early incentive to explore and do other things than simply rushing to end game. Instead, you're maknig it into yet another reason why people want to skip everything in the game just to get to 50 and then get everything thrown in their face at once, which makes absolutely no sense.

I assume nobody is level 50 yet, but so far I can see that the amount of pets is heavily abundant on every map (even considering that nobody is hunting them). To make pet taming a decent challenge and not just another daily to farm, consider lowing the spawn rate considerably. Of course it shouldn't be so low that people will start camping and fighting over them, but make it so you at least feel satisfaction when you find one. Right now you walk through a map and find maybe 5-10 hungry monsters clumped together which again just looks wrong. Just like the life skill nodes that are also always clumped together when it makes no sense in the game world.

I actually think it’s a good idea to lock it to a higher level. It gives you more reason to come back to the beginner areas.

But yes, I agree with making the spawn rate lower!
    HyphoxRedvannAgent_DragonfuryShowCL
  • MagicDoorsMagicDoors
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,175
    Please take out the sound your pet makes when it warps back to you. It's not really necessary and it keeps making me think that some important notification just occurred.
    VerloExigaSnackCakesLilSquishSaekitLockeExileNekoLilyBurnedLine
  • AnaHeartillyAnaHeartilly
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,050
    DanDK wrote: »

I agree that taming pets shouldn't be locked to lvl 50. It's way more fun to tame them while leveling up and have them help us in our quests. Too many activities are already locked to lvl 50. The leveling experience in MS2 is probably the least fun thing right now. I really think this change would help.
    LyraBagoSnackCakesDeadBoredSubglaciousLockeExile
  • doofirthjrdoofirthjr
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 410
    I agree with a lot of whats been said on this thread.
    - Shouldn't be a level 50 skill because pets are the perfect story companions
    - Lower the spawn rate however with that in mind maybe make them gain more experience from helping you out since fusion would be more difficult
    I would like to add though I had no way to gain solvent other than as a rare drop. What this meant was I could never make traps to catch more pets for the fusion if this is an intentional feature I guess thats fair but leveling my pet has been a pain.

Also, I'm sure this will be added in the main game but some skill variety. As an archer I have no method of support other than potions for solo adventuring and at times this has been awful especially watching beserkers spin to win everything they see.
    SnackCakesDeadBoredLockeExile
  • ShinoZukaShinoZuka
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 430
    I would like to see pet taming at a lower level so we can have a pet to travel with.
    SnackCakesLockeExile
  • ApolloionApolloion
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    Also, I would like the pet taming tutorial to be slightly updated.

First, it's not explicitly clear that you need to find a 'Hungry Slime', as the name was not capitalized in the text so it was misleading upon the first read-through.
    This, coupled with the density of players in the tutorial and no green-named hungry slimes in sight (only red-named slimes), made it all-the-more confusing.

I know that may sound silly, or even trivial (which I'm not disagreeing about), but it not only fooled me, but also several other players in the map with me.
    You end up wasting all the candy and have to purchase more at 1k/ea to finish the tutorial.
  • BrosephineBrosephine
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,070
    edited 4:58PM July 24, 2018
    I agree for not locking pet taming at lvl50.
    If you need an excuse to come back to low level areas, well let's invent some other ones. Some quests, some "high level area secrets" that you can find only at higher levels, who knows. But pets, it would be better if they travelled with you through your journeys, and not through the endgame.

I actually think you should give the less reasons possible to rush to the end like some mad power hungry pidgeons, the complexity of the maps, quests and game itself would only benefit from a slow progression full of options and cute stuff to grab.
    SnackCakesLockeExile
  • SylphaelSylphael
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 615
    Another in the camp for taming not being locked to 50 here. I feel like it's pretty silly since virtually every other life skill is accessible much sooner to arbitrarily lock one of the really major ones.

That said- if you do nerf spawn rates of hungry mobs, please for the love of all things good don't nerf the ones in the tutorial zone for taming. I literally sat there for 20 minutes just waiting for a hungry slime to spawn that someone else didn't immediately grab before I could lob a candy at it.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the taming system so far. I think the variety of hungry pets available to tame is very impressive.
    LockeExile
  • JoystickJungJoystickJung
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 585
    There is no reason for this skill to be locked to level 50, this should be obtainable from level 1.
    The difficulty to catch monsters in higher level areas is offset by the fact that those monsters could easily kill you if you are too weak and the buffs they offer is not enough to break low-level character areas.

There is also a lack in obtainable pets in general, more enemies should offer pets.

Fishing should also provide the opportunity to create more attractive baits for pet catching. Life skills need to intertwine.

Pets need to have more special buffs and not all be focused on combat either.
    Life skills and social opportunities are an important part of the Maplestory playerbase, and the pets we are able to tame should reflect that.

While some pets could offer purely cosmetic effects, others should offer buffs to life skills or to guilds activities.
    Some could make traveling easier while others could provide you with potion effectiveness increases.

Some pets should be aimed at certain classes as well so that not every single person has the exact same pet in end-game. Simply providing weapon attack or magic attack does not a good pet make.
    DeadBoredLockeExile
  • SnackCakesSnackCakes
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,095
    It's difficult to tame pets when Potion Solvents don't drop often at all. You'd you have to go out of your way to farm them, and while that's not bad, I feel like there should be easier ways to obtain them.
    KewkkyDeadBoredLilSquishDLyonHasoriLockeExileAlzackBurnedLine
  • KewkkyKewkky
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 6,235
    I agree on the Potion Solvents being exceedingly rare and needing an update. Considering that you need about (if I remember right) 20,000 exp to level your pet taming life skill only once, and that each craft only gives you about 20 mastery points, it makes Potion Solvents way too important and in such high demand that its rarity ruins the progression. You can farm the second material way too easily, but Potion Solvents is far too rare. You find far more hungry pets running around than you do Potion Solvents.

I recommend adding them to an NPC's shop. Increasing the drop rate won't work unless you DRASTICALLY increase it, and then you have the problem of there being too many of them in the market so players just drop them or sell them. Their drop rarity should be the same as the suspicious meat/spices/etc.
    SnackCakes
  • CGBJAICGBJAI
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 800
    doofirthjr wrote: »
    Also, I'm sure this will be added in the main game but some skill variety. As an archer I have no method of support other than potions for solo adventuring and at times this has been awful especially watching beserkers spin to win everything they see.

This should be saved for another discussion, but thats part of what makes each class different, If everyone could heal themselves why have potions or a priest? but ontopic.

I think the level requirement on Taming pets is fine, but maybe lower it so it can be accessed sooner, to give something new/exciting to do during this quest grinding.

• AkiyusaAkiyusa
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 600
    Pets feel like they take too long to level, especially through fusion.
    AmanosSnackCakesLilSquishHasori
  • AmanosAmanos
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 855
    edited 2:39PM July 29, 2018
    Increase the experience they get through killing monsters please so we feel like our pet gets stronger as we have more and more "adventures" with them. Add the fact that fusion gives such low exp to that and it gets really tedious.
    Also agreed with not locking it to level 50 which goes with lessening exp required to level them up.
    SnackCakesDLyonHasoriLockeExile
  • DeadBoredDeadBored
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 100
    As an additional feature for the future, perhaps we could have pet duels/racing as well. Or to make it even more interactive, having to feed the pet as well (through drops and life skills) which could be another avenue to level up the pet.
  • LumithepandaLumithepanda
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 390
    edited 7:03PM July 30, 2018
    Agreeing with everything said here - my main gripe being that potion solvents are WAY too hard to find. I leveled 1 character to 50 and two others to around 20ish and only saw a total of 7 solvents in that whole time. Please increase the drop rate or have another way of obtaining - perhaps a furniture item that gives you x number per day, or a daily quest? Something of that nature.

I also agree that it isn't fun to have it locked to level 50, but I understand wanting to have some level gating on it. Why not have certain monsters be locked to a certain level? That way, lower level players aren't out hunting level 50 mobs for a pet at level 20 with no restriction - give lower levels a few easy pets to tame (stumpys, maybe? Slimes? Early-zone mobs would be ideal).
    DLyonLockeExile
  • SirBalatroSirBalatro
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 365
    Potion solvent drop rate is one thing, but why are all the nets the same recipe??
    DLyonHasori
  • KeitaecatKeitaecat
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,935
    I love the idea but it is very poorly executed and turns out to be frustrating.

It's easy to go out and buy the candies needed to feed them but members of the community ended up finding places to grind mobs to get the materials to create the traps themselves. We wanted to test out the pet taming so bad we started creating a guide on the best places to farm the potion solvents...in a closed beta. It would be nice if this was sold at an NPC's shop much like the candies are, or just make them drop from all the monsters, currently only a few monsters drop them and you won't know until you get lucky. I ended up grinding for nearly 2 hours to walk away with 20 potion solvents, which thankfully was enough to tame all the hungry monsters CBT2 had.

Also, there needs to be an AI fix for the hungry mobs as they run around and you end up wasting a trap because it A. Got broke due to another mob B. Got broke due to the hungry mob losing it's full bar of candy or C. You spent too much time and...again it broke. This wouldn't be a problem if again, we could buy the potion solvents to actually make the traps, but losing just 1 trap is frustrating.

I hope some changes are made to the pet taming system because I did go out and tame every hungry monster.
    DLyonSubglaciousAlways_Hid
  • VPencilVPencil
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 670
    As said earlier by other people, I agree that pet taming should not unlocked at LVL 50. Leveling up once you hit the thirties is already tedious and sometimes I wanted to be able to take a break from grinding and do other things. Pets would be significantly useful at lower levels. There could be a progression as you level of what pet you can tame. For example, perhaps you have to be level equivalent or plus one to the mob you want to tame, so you can run around with <slimes> and <cerbes> at the low level and eventually progress to better and cooler pets like a <balrog> at a higher level. It adds incentive to exploring and grinding, at the very least. It would also make farming pets more interesting since it would be a level equivalent challenge.
    DLyonLockeExile
This discussion has been closed.