Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

GMS2 Censorship

Comments

• MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    edited 6:51AM July 22, 2018
    Lol i didnt expect this to get 15 pages
    I also dont remember typing some of what was said by me

On the censorship note, some words in-game need to be looked at
    Things such as:
    Drug dealer
    Druggy
    *sound out* 'Knee-grow'(Black in spanish so idk - was removed from forum so should be in-game too?)
    Rapist
    Murder
    Murderer
    Taliban
    Genocide
    Drugs(apparently in-game stuff so idk)
    Kinky
    Kink
    Cocaine
    Cracker
    'I will murder you'
    Three&foursome(again idk)

are not censored
    but ahegao/hentai/loli is

tbh ahegao and hentai are worse than all of the others so i can see why thats censored. and knee-gro isnt offensive, but people like to use it in an offensive way when they cant use the n word instead, so i see why thats censored
  • 2D2D
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,325
    MissVanjie wrote: »
    Lol i didnt expect this to get 15 pages
    I also dont remember typing some of what was said by me

On the censorship note, some words in-game need to be looked at
    Things such as:
    Drug dealer
    Druggy
    *sound out* 'Knee-grow'(Black in spanish so idk - was removed from forum so should be in-game too?)
    Rapist
    Murder
    Murderer
    Taliban
    Genocide
    Drugs(apparently in-game stuff so idk)
    Kinky
    Kink
    Cocaine
    Cracker
    'I will murder you'
    Three&foursome(again idk)

are not censored
    but ahegao/hentai/loli is

and knee-gro isnt offensive, but people like to use it in an offensive way when they cant use the n word instead, so i see why thats censored

the point they're making is that it isn't censored in-game.

• Masked_Masked_
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 670
    I hate censorship in games..makes no sense changing an original just cause some people might be offended, they should at least have a censorship switch in the settings so the 80% of people who want the game uncensored, and the 15% people who do, both win , the other 5% don't really care
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    the point they're making is that it isn't censored in-game.

tbh some of those arent that bad such as murder and drugs, but i can see why hentai/ahegao are censored. i can see why they censored loli too even though the defenition isnt bad.
  • EMSEMS
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 785
    Has anyone considered that if they reduce the amount of censorship it will increase the age rating for the game which in turn has an impact on the number of players coming into the game?

If the age rating goes from 12 to 16, or even 18+/R, Nexon will probably increase MTX prices through the roof because of a large decrease in income.
    Poofcat
  • AlexmoAlexmo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,000
    EMS wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that if they reduce the amount of censorship it will increase the age rating for the game which in turn has an impact on the number of players coming into the game?

If the age rating goes from 12 to 16, or even 18+/R, Nexon will probably increase MTX prices through the roof because of a large decrease in income.

But the thing is it's a PC only game not that many people care about ratings. Even that I doubt many kids would be interested in playing this game at all.
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    Alexmo wrote: »
    Even that I doubt many kids would be interested in playing this game at all.

theres a few 15 y/o and younger in my guild, theres more kids on this game than you think. more than i expected

• MixaeMixae
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 575
    I hate censored things. I think it should remain the way the creators intended in every work, whether it be art, music, or video games. Why is there a need to cover up more pixel bodies on a video game? Why is the human body so embarrassing/lewd that it has to be censored. I have really strong feelings on this subject, so I obviously voted no censorship! :)
  • AlexmoAlexmo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,000

theres a few 15 y/o and younger in my guild, theres more kids on this game than you think. more than i expected

I thought you meant kids far younger. Honestly the content in this game is fine for ages around 12+. The UGC may be a bit of a problem but not much most things that go through are relatively tame to somewhat suggestive.
  • AnOldGeezerAnOldGeezer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,725
    I didnt mean to 'revive' this
    The censorship is already gone (which is gr8; legit 420/360)
    I just wanted to point out a few things in CBT that can be said that may have been missed on censoring the 'crude words'
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie

I thought you meant kids far younger. Honestly the content in this game is fine for ages around 12+. The UGC may be a bit of a problem but not much most things that go through are relatively tame to somewhat suggestive.

the ugc is way more problematic than i expected, its a positive addition, but i think we should be able to report some things
    even then, i dont think theyre taking reports seriously either (i guess maybe bcuz its cbt) bcuz ive seen people saying some crazy things and having the most offensive names that ive reported and 3 days later i see them getting their jush in queenstown
  • FluffsterFluffster
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    edited 6:19AM July 24, 2018
    I'm mostly curious as to why I can name a character 'Heterosexual' but not 'Homosexual'?
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,450
    Forum Moderator
    Fluffster wrote: »
    I'm mostly curious as to why I can name a character 'Heterosexual' but not 'Homosexual'?

Because one of those is often used to be discriminatory and some people might take offense to it. Personally, I see no reason to allow you to use that name.

You guys need to realize that censorship in terms of chat-filters or name-filters is something that will never please everyone and a game is not a platform for social/political agendas.

I use the occasional profanity, just as pretty much everyone does, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't offend someone and as such, I take care in where and when I let it slip out.

Perhaps a function to disable a chat-filter would be an option Nexon can consider, but disabling name-filters will not happen because you can't 'filter' those out.
  • FluffsterFluffster
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    edited 7:07AM July 24, 2018
    Olujiwan wrote: »
    Because one of those is often used to be discriminatory and some people might take offense to it. Personally, I see no reason to allow you to use that name.

You guys need to realize that censorship in terms of chat-filters or name-filters is something that will never please everyone and a game is not a platform for social/political agendas.

I use the occasional profanity, just as pretty much everyone does, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't offend someone and as such, I take care in where and when I let it slip out.

Perhaps a function to disable a chat-filter would be an option Nexon can consider, but disabling name-filters will not happen because you can't 'filter' those out.

That's some serious backwards logic right there - the fault lies with the user, not the word - and putting it into the filter does nothing but grant the word power in a negative light. There's nothing offensive about the word 'homos' and is something I (and many of the LGBTQ community) use to describe ourselves. Any term for someone can be construed into something offensive - e.g. "IHateHeteros" - and blanket reasoning (or filtering, in this case) does not work.

I would fully expect the name I exampled above to be reported and the user forced to change the name - just as I would if it said Homos. That's the purpose of the report function.

Honestly, it's a little offensive as it currently stands. If we ban one, ban the other - don't segregate. That causes more harm than good.
    AnOldGeezerSerfrostIink
  • SerfrostSerfrost
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,565
    Fluffster wrote: »

That's some serious backwards logic right there - the fault lies with the user, not the word - and putting it into the filter does nothing but grant the word power in a negative light. There's nothing offensive about the word 'homos' and is something I (and many of the LGBTQ community) use to describe ourselves. Any term for someone can be construed into something offensive - e.g. "IHateHeteros" - and blanket reasoning (or filtering, in this case) does not work.

I would fully expect the name I exampled above to be reported and the user forced to change the name - just as I would if it said Homos. That's the purpose of the report function.

Honestly, it's a little offensive as it currently stands. If we ban one, ban the other - don't segregate. That causes more harm than good.

I'm inclined to agree. I'd rather both be banned rather than just one side.
    Iink
  • MochaLatteMochaLatte
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,475
    As a big proponent of removing the censorship of the game assets especially the clothing... and a bad mouth if I'm being honest, I don't care at all about the use of a profanity filter. Why?

- Word filter lists can be changed at any time with minimal effort.
    - If it's too overbearing, the damage done amounts to some ***'s in chat for a while.
    - Assuming the filter is done on the receiving client, a toggle could be added for users to disable it, if it became enough of an issue to the community.

The singular thing to be wary of, is that you may need a separate filter for character names... a weaker one, trusting in community reporting to rid the things that get through instead. While it's not big deal if "Can all the DPS stand over..." is censored in chat, using the same filter would block so many names from being used. There are A LOT of justifiably censored 3-4 letter words, that appear naturally in thousands of otherwise legitimate names. I think you could trust the community to be able to see that "xANALx" (or much worse...) should be reported, while "CanAlbertDance" is perfectly fine.
  • ReploidShamReploidSham
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,670

Okay but why is Maple filtered. It's egregious in every sense how a lot of terms are filtered and I've had terms come up as blocked in use in normal speech regularly when they weren't before, and I find that I can't communicate clearly to teammates or guild members just as offensive because its incredibly patronizing to act like I have the mental faculties of an eight-year-old. Not to mention it'd just end up causing something like what happened with children on Club Penguin where kids end up googling what they said wrong on accident and end up discovering a world of misery.

That said, the term you're referencing is only largely offensive... how?
    I can't imagine what would happen if discussion of such a matter was banned completely, and I already have problems explaining how and why normal things work in the discord because that stupid chatbot is so overly sensitive about feelings that nobody gets to know what I'm talking about because apparently half the english language is a swear. I can't help it if I want to explain something and someone's feelings are going to get hurt, someone's feelings are always going to get hurt because everyone's made of paper now. It's a legitimate word for someone's sexuality and throwing it under the rug and forcibly making it taboo helps nobody.

The solution to children wanting to be not treated like children really wouldn't be like treat them like children harder.

Also, names. There's a report system and if the GMs have time to offend Rust, they have time to make sure nobody is named GoodWithKids.
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    homosexual is censored? tbh if anyone can use homosexual as a bad thing today then they have their own problems to deal with. i know some people use gay as an insult, and i dont get why because gay people are fabulous and are the best thing to happen to the world since beyonce was born. they should feel honored someone called them gay tbh lol
  • ReploidShamReploidSham
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,670
    homosexual is censored? tbh if anyone can use homosexual as a bad thing today then they have their own problems to deal with. i know some people use gay as an insult, and i dont get why because gay people are fabulous and are the best thing to happen to the world since beyonce was born. they should feel honored someone called them gay tbh lol

... Is this serious? It should be neither bad or good. Telling yourself a now-derogatory word is good isn't going to be doing any favours either. If you're really willing to start fights over a word when other people use it, you shouldn't really be using it yourself and giving them a leg up about it. Better yet, learn what the word means to begin with. Also, that sort of attitude is why a lot of people are going to be homophobic to begin with, the exact nonsense they'd want to avoid. I know I would, I hate noisy people who put their fingers in their ears if it's something they don't agree with.

Here, straight from google.
    gay
    ɡā/
    adjective
    adjective: gay; comparative adjective: gayer; superlative adjective: gayest

(of a person, especially a man) homosexual.
    "that friend of yours, is he gay?"
    synonyms: homosexual, lesbian; informalqueer
    "gay men and women"
    relating to or used by homosexuals.
    "feminist, black, and gay perspectives"
    lighthearted and carefree.
    "Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face"
    brightly colored; showy; brilliant.
    "a gay profusion of purple and pink sweet peas"
    informaloffensive
    foolish, stupid, or unimpressive.
    "making students wait for the light is kind of a gay rule"

noun
    noun: gay; plural noun: gays

a homosexual, especially a man.

Origin
    Middle English (sense 2 of the adjective): from Old French gai, of unknown origin.
    Alexmo
  • AyriezAyriez
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    edited 12:17AM July 26, 2018
    As far as censoring words in the game, chat filters exist and can be turned off. Also, playing this game and doing some of the side quests and such, there is a TON of heavy content in this game regardless of swearing or sexual content. The wolf quest where you have to go find pieces of a blind wolf's wife who was killed and they bury her for him, that was some pretty sad stuff that no 12 year old is going to appreciate... And there are more quests that follow the same trend, like that big turtle in the pit that lost its lover, or this other.. I think it was also a turtle, was for an exploration star that you had to talk to it and it said some sad stuff about love too. I think the MS2 game devs have had a really harsh love life or something cause this game is hitting me in the feels with all these sad quests...

My point btw is that the demographic this game is geared toward is definitely teen+ anyhow, the lore here is sad and heavy, far more than any kid, and to some extent young teen, would be able to grasp. So, all the censoring in the first place really has no basis. So far I've had a relatively enjoyable time in MS2, even with the meme houses that are... everywhere lmao. I think the only thing I noticed was that Pathos is still a brown colour rather than the purple-grey he's supposed to be, I'm hoping that gets fixed though.