Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

GMS2 Censorship

Comments

• MauriceDelTacoMauriceDelTaco
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 555
    Can anyone give me a link or a timestamp where they confirm that? I need to know for sure before I buy a founder's pack.
  • FaelightFaelight
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,925
    Can anyone give me a link or a timestamp where they confirm that? I need to know for sure before I buy a founder's pack.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/285920259?t=12m54s

Here you go! :D
    KuroChloe
  • KuroChloeKuroChloe
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 470
    So happy right now, thanks for listening!
    AnOldGeezer
  • AkineroAkinero
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 675
    edited 11:29PM July 17, 2018
    If people are freaking out that badly that they can't see as much skin as they want to then that's fine. Just quit the game. Me along with many, many other people probably don't care if the game is censored a little bit. I'm not playing this game to see hentai everywhere and I would like it to at least be a LITTLE family friendly. Some degree of censorship just makes sense. There is SO MUCH more to the game than these cute characters showing skin. It's not like their completely changing outfits. At any rate, like I said, people who want to quit the game will just quit. It seems like there will be enough of us to keep the game running either way.

And Nexon probably isn't responding to this thread because it's a shitfest. It's full of angry people just complaining and giving irrational arguments. They don't need to get in the middle of this. If they make a decision about what they want to do then they will make a formal statement about it, not get in the middle of this messy crap. People literally threatening to quit the game if they can't get the skin they want shown on their characters. Any business would make the smart decision to just not get involved at this stage, because no matter what they say in this forum some people will complain about it like they are now.

Edit: Like I was saying... They just made an official statement: "We noticed there were discussions regarding the item models of the game, with some players wondering which item models we will be using for our service. We can confirm today that our version of MapleStory 2 will be using the original versions from the Korean MapleStory 2."
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    This isn't about all about skin. It's about how, if a company gets away with censoring one thing, they're more likely to censor other things in the future. Either way, it's not relevant any more since MS2 will be uncensored.
    CariseiXphobiaAnOldGeezerServalAkuma524
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    edited 10:33AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
    Carisei
  • AkineroAkinero
    This isn't about all about skin. It's about how, if a company gets away with censoring one thing, they're more likely to censor other things in the future. Either way, it's not relevant any more since MS2 will be uncensored.

Causing a riot over something that *might* happen based on no real evidence doesn't make sense. Notice that it got so bad that people have already said they're quitting the game in this thread. It just got too out of hand for no good reason.
  • ShiktoShikto
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    edited 12:42AM July 18, 2018
    its all about personal liberation if thats a thing
    glad to see their resolve
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,450
    Forum Moderator
    I'm unpinning this topic.

Taken from the Producer Blog on 17/7/18:
    We noticed there were discussions regarding the item models of the game, with some players wondering which item models we will be using for our service. We can confirm today that our version of MapleStory 2 will be using the original versions from the Korean MapleStory 2.

This effectively means that there is no longer a censorship topic to discuss. However, I will leave this open for a bit if there is anything left you'd like to discuss.
    Keep it civil, and let the thread die if there is nothing meaningful to add.
  • FreeFormFreeForm
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 520
    Akinero
    Good god you're a self-righteous loser. Too bad for you, community feedback made them change their minds. This is why people have discussions like this topic. Grow up.
    Also the evidence was the already censored files present in CBT1. They were literally in the middle of censoring the game. You're not going to spin this topic against the community.

Nexon
    Mad respect for the company. I can see that it was a difficult decision to make, given how long we waited for a response, but I'm glad to hear that for once, the western community won't be patronized for no good reason. I'm so hyped for the game now, and will support it just to show other companies that westerners aren't weird animals allergic to digital skin.

That will be all from me on the subject. See you all in the game!
    XphobiaAnthunyCariseiAnOldGeezerLikito
  • AkineroAkinero
    FreeForm wrote: »
    Akinero
    Good god you're a self-righteous loser. Too bad for you, community feedback made them change their minds. This is why people have discussions like this topic. Grow up.
    Also the evidence was the already censored files present in CBT1. They were literally in the middle of censoring the game. You're not going to spin this topic against the community.

Nexon
    Mad respect for the company. I can see that it was a difficult decision to make, given how long we waited for a response, but I'm glad to hear that for once, the western community won't be patronized for no good reason. I'm so hyped for the game now, and will support it just to show other companies that westerners aren't weird animals allergic to digital skin.

That will be all from me on the subject. See you all in the game!

Not sure why I am both self-righteous and a loser, but it says a lot about you when you immediately resort to name-calling. I also didn't say that the community shouldn't have a discussion; as a matter of fact that's exactly what I'm saying. People just saying that they're going to quit the game, bashing Nexon, etc. before anything even happens is not a discussion, by definition. I'm also not denying that the reason they decided not to censor the game was because of the community, but the same result could have been achieved without the unnecessary drama.

But at least we agree that they made the right choice in choosing not to censor the Global version.
  • WatchGintamaWatchGintama
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,475
    edited 8:29AM July 18, 2018
    This is a good change. Now there's no issue with censorship at all and that was the point of what this discussion was for. This good news will spread and will convince more people to play the game:

Let's hope they keep this up for feedback such as PVP gear.
    zrxDarkLordXavairAnOldGeezer
  • MauriceDelTacoMauriceDelTaco
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 555
    Great, thank you. Looks like I'm going to give it a chance after all.
    AnOldGeezer
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Akinero wrote: »
    Not sure why I am both self-righteous and a loser, but it says a lot about you when you immediately resort to name-calling. I also didn't say that the community shouldn't have a discussion; as a matter of fact that's exactly what I'm saying. People just saying that they're going to quit the game, bashing Nexon, etc. before anything even happens is not a discussion, by definition. I'm also not denying that the reason they decided not to censor the game was because of the community, but the same result could have been achieved without the unnecessary drama.

But at least we agree that they made the right choice in choosing not to censor the Global version.

Your comments only prove how uninformed you were before you made the comments.
    First, you claimed about people freaking out because they couldn't see skin. But if you had read the thread you would know that isn't the case. Obviously, that is part of the reason for some, but censorship is much more than that to most people. To try and sum it up like that, is silly.

Second, you claimed Nexon was not responding because it's a shitfest. If you had read just a few comments above the post you made, you would have known they indeed already did respond.

Third, you claimed we were causing a riot over something that "might" happen. If you read this thread properly, you would know it wasn't a might. They had censorship in the game already. It was literally in the files. The only reason it didn't happen is that we stated our dissatisfaction with it. You even claimed it was based on no real evidence. Well, I got news for you. You are wrong.

Fourth, you claim we were not having a discussion like as if everyone in this forum was claiming they were going to quit. Again, if you read the thread, most people were not even doing this.

Fifth, you claim we agree they made the right choice even though not even a few comments prior you said, "Some degree of censorship just makes sense."

Literally, every comment you made, just oozes ignorance on a level that is pretty impressive. It's like you just keep digging deeper and deeper instead of just admitting you were wrong and apologizing. Anyway, you should be more careful when responding to threads like this. You really didn't make yourself look good here.
  • weirdeeweirdee
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,065
    edited 2:27PM July 19, 2018
    Checking in. All the "sexy" clothing is reverted, the character model changes too.

Which brings us to the current issue...Dark Einos or whatever had their skin reverted also, but only the base model was changed back. All of the models used for the quests and the character portraits are still the changed versions. He flip flops between skin colors every time the camera shifts away from him. It's kinda funny.

But honestly, that skin change was the least problematic change besides the red cross hat (which was done to avoid being sued by Red Cross, and is a common change done by most games). I don't mind Dark Einos being blue. I'm not even sure if they have the rest of the OG files, nor would it be easy to track all of them down and make those specific changes. Frankly, they should just stick with the blue skin. It'll be less trouble in the long run regarding in game consistency.

Funny side note: the avatar image for....I think her name was Madria? apparently uses the censored version, so I'm not sure if they'll revert the board avatars to reflect what the game uses now.
    TheChaosLegend
  • FumalaoFumalao
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    edited 10:10PM July 20, 2018
    839c9bc58b.jpg
    Just a little weird.
  • ConsciousConscious
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,235
  • AnOldGeezerAnOldGeezer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,740
    edited 4:06AM July 22, 2018
    Lol i didnt expect this to get 15 pages
    I also dont remember typing some of what was said by me

On the censorship note, some words in-game need to be looked at
    Things such as:
    Drug dealer
    Druggy
    *sound out* 'Knee-grow'(Black in spanish so idk - was removed from forum so should be in-game too?)
    Rapist
    Murder
    Murderer
    Taliban
    Genocide
    Drugs(apparently in-game stuff so idk)
    Kinky
    Kink
    Cocaine
    Cracker
    'I will murder you'
    Three&foursome(again idk)

are not censored
    but ahegao/hentai/loli is

• 2D2D
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,325
    edited 5:59AM July 22, 2018

aside from all the no-no words that aren't censored, i am beyond confused why the word "loli" was censored. it literally means "little girl". and i swear there was a guild called "Loli" which had their recruitment thread locked and then unlocked after people explained the word didn't mean anything bad? lmao

this issue should be put into a separate thread
  • AnOldGeezerAnOldGeezer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,740

aside from all the no-no words that aren't censored, i am beyond confused why the word "loli" was censored. it literally means "little girl". and i swear there was a guild called "Loli" which had their recruitment thread locked and then unlocked after people explained the word didn't mean anything bad? lmao

this issue should be put into a separate thread

ye i put it in another 1 in the bug reports
    I always thought a loli was a female that looked a lot younger than they really are
    but still, the censors need to be revised
    Cant have someone offering to sell cocaine to people or having murder threats & them saying they're a rapist =x