Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Thoughts on name reservation being founders pack

Comments

• JointJoint
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,515
    I personally think it's a fair way to go about it. The reason why I think it's a fair way to go about it is that now and days everyone has some sort of "bot" set up in order to snipe up usernames and create multiple accounts and take all the best usernames. Not to mention a lot of players just like holding usernames for either to sell the accounts off for profit or just to be a troll and hold them on a lvl 1 character. To me that's unfair that you have to worry about going on the exact moment the game officially releases and hope to get lucky to get a decent character name. With name registrations at least it's a bit easier to get a decent name for your toon. Most players won't be inclined to sell accounts either since they will have to purchase a founder pack in order to sell there account. There is no perfect way to go about doing this but having a way to reserve your name prior to release is the most fairest route to go by. Especially in this day and age where technology is high and you not only have to worry about other players stealing good names but bots as well.
    DanDK
  • HangukjjangHangukjjang
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,055
  • AcidusAcidus
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    Name reservation is pretty standard for founders' packs so this particular case isn't any different. Admittedly, I do have a bias for its implementation since the IGNs I wanted in CBT1 were immediately sniped and hoarded for the duration of the CBT so I do want some way to ensure I have a better chance to get it. This way, at least the IGNs will be used and not be squatted on to be sold later. I don't think IGN hoarders will actually buy packs on multiple accounts just to reserve ONE IGN each, anyway.
  • iAMAZEuiAMAZEu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,395
    name reserve isn't p2w!

you can't win every battle
  • MONSTRMONSTR
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,240
    Honestly, what can you expect with a naming system requiring unique names? I think to have unique names especially for a FREE MMO is way behind the times. 5 years down the line you don't want your new players spending ages looking for an available name for EACH of their characters. People simply do not connect with Johnx42069 as opposed to John. I know the mods have advocated a naming convention similar to GW2 which I'm not familiar with. Sucks to think that might not come after all because of this new name reservation.
    DanDK
  • EvoraEvora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,035
    This just seems like a way to annoy a bunch of people for no good reason. Questionable decision.

But most of the names on the list I've made (if you're not getting a pack, you should probably do this) are pretty 'out there' anyway, so it doesn't affect me too much.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Evora wrote: »
    This just seems like a way to annoy a bunch of people for no good reason. Questionable decision.

But most of the names on the list I've made (if you're not getting a pack, you should probably do this) are pretty 'out there' anyway, so it doesn't affect me too much.

What is questionable about it? It's not like no other MMOs have done this, and there are generally people who like name reservations. *shrugs*
  • TheChaosLegendTheChaosLegend
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,030
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other word would smell as sweet
    Sixaxis
  • ianthemanslayerianthemanslayer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    I honestly don't mind it. At least you gotta pay for it.
  • EvoraEvora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,035
    What is questionable about it? It's not like no other MMOs have done this, and there are generally people who like name reservations. *shrugs*
    I see anything controversial as questionable. Some people take their names more seriously than others, and this is going to leave a bad taste in their mouth.

Nexon is currently trying to pull away from the P2W reputation they've gained. Though I personally don't consider this P2W, you might find that this kind of thing makes some people just as salty. In my opinion, they should just be playing things a bit safer right now - staying as far away from the pay-for-advantage vibe as they can get.

DanDKAnOldGeezer
  • NyuraNyura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,690
    I personally am not fond of the idea. While I can understand where they're coming from with that addition, wanting to incentivize people to purchase FPs and whatnot, I still don't find it in good practice, since I don't believe the FPs themselves need anything more to prompt folks to buy them. FPs already offer quite a lot in their contents, and the idea of any tier FP granting players this name reservation privilege is a bit too much in my view.
    DanDK
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    I think it's the exact opposite imo. If you care about your name you're going to spend 20$. I don't see a world where someone cares that much about a name and think it's better that anyone can get it.

Even in CBT1 people were taking names and just parking it in their accounts. I bet that when this game is out there is going to be a bunch of people making accounts just to get names that they will never use just like any other MMORPG. This is a win/win way for people that actually care to get their names while combating the name parkers imo.

• NyuraNyura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,690
    HoIy wrote: »
    I think it's the exact opposite imo. If you care about your name you're going to spend 20$. I don't see a world where someone cares that much about a name and think it's better that anyone can get it.

Even in CBT1 people were taking names and just parking it in their accounts. I bet that when this game is out there is going to be a bunch of people making accounts just to get names that they will never use just like any other MMORPG. This is a win/win way for people that actually care to get their names while combating the name parkers imo.

You'd be surprised really... This kind of thing leads to abuse and "selling" of names, because there are people out there who really want a certain name to the point where they'd go very far to have it.

You can say that people who care that much would spend the 25$ for the lowest tier pack, but there are also people who would deliberately take certain names just to be able to auction them later, so even if you bought a FP, there may be another FP owner who has taken your name on purpose (This kind of thing can only happen if a lot of people are aware of the "iconic-to-you" name you intended to use, obviously).

It's what has happened in virtually every MMO that offered this "feature" and it will likely happen in some shape or form in MS2 as well. Of course, I'm not talking about half the game selling names or anything, because it's surely not something that would be wide-spread, but it happening at all is already bad.
    PetalmagicDanDK
  • DeanOGDeanOG
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
    Personally not too bothered by the addition of name reservations. Lots of games utilize the function. As long as Nexon keeps things for the most part (money = cosmetics) we'll be okay.
    zrx
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    edited 6:37AM July 18, 2018
    Nyura wrote: »
    HoIy wrote: »

You'd be surprised really... This kind of thing leads to abuse and "selling" of names, because there are people out there who really want a certain name to the point where they'd go very far to have it.

You can say that people who care that much would spend the 25$ for the lowest tier pack, but there are also people who would deliberately take certain names just to be able to auction them later, so even if you bought a FP, there may be another FP owner who has taken your name on purpose (This kind of thing can only happen if a lot of people are aware of the "iconic-to-you" name you intended to use, obviously).

It's what has happened in virtually every MMO that offered this "feature" and it will likely happen in some shape or form in MS2 as well. Of course, I'm not talking about half the game selling names or anything, because it's surely not something that would be wide-spread, but it happening at all is already bad.

That doesn't make any sense. Not having this option would make it way easier to hoard names and auction them off. People who are selling them aren't going to spend 25$ to potentially sell names(at least not many)

This is going to happen regardless where people sell names. Now there is a reservation type system for people who actually want specific names then leaving it to chance when the game is release where it will be a lot harder. Then again it depends on how the name reservation is going to work.

• XXPriestXX44XXPriestXX44
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    Nope nope nope. Ridiculous that they'd wait till now to reveal that this is actually part of the founders pack. They're trying to sucker more people into spending money on this thing and it's very disappointing. Does no one remember what happened in GMS 1 when people would sell IGNs on a secondary market for $300.00 plus? This encourages that type of scalping and does not give players who did not pay a fair chance of getting an IGN they may have wanted/planned to create.
    SherriDanDKAnOldGeezer
  • LucionLucion
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    I’m all for the name reservation, but I’m pretty biased because I bought a pack ‘^-^ (I doubt I’ll get a decent name). There’s still ways to get cool names though! You can put random letters together to form short-ish names that sound cool like “Arion.” Good luck with names when it comes though; let the fight for weeb names comence.
  • MixaeMixae
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 575
    I think it's a good idea because if you are that serious about the game it's nice to be rewarded by saving a name you want I guess
  • JelleSerkJelleSerk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 520
    edited 12:01PM July 21, 2018
    Great idea, Great addition to the pack.

People whining about their dream name being stolen while on the other hand choosing not to buy one of the packs that took 4 days to get sold out.

There are tons of great names available so why not pick another one of your likings?

Also, what are you guys prefered names? ( lemme know so i can claim with my p2w package..)
  • JelleSerkJelleSerk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 520
    Nope nope nope. Ridiculous that they'd wait till now to reveal that this is actually part of the founders pack. They're trying to sucker more people into spending money on this thing and it's very disappointing. Does no one remember what happened in GMS 1 when people would sell IGNs on a secondary market for $300.00 plus? This encourages that type of scalping and does not give players who did not pay a fair chance of getting an IGN they may have wanted/planned to create.

Only X amounts of founder packs where available and all can claim only 1 name. That means it's first come first serve. Twice for those with a founder pack and only once on release for those who did not.

If anything, this was your chance on a $300,- name for a meager twenty.