Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

The East/West NA splitting for CBT2...

mmviimmvii
MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,995
edited 12:03PM July 5, 2018 in General Chat
So is this for sure a go now? I won't go as far to say a post from Cuddles would be nice, but some official confirmation would be nice sooner than later. I've noticed a lot of the guilds have picked a side in the guild mega post. I know a lot of people were against it but idk if they would have changed their minds based on that feed back at all. Feel free to rant/share your opinions here if you want, I won't say where I stand on it but just looking to see if they dropped the idea based on the negative feedback.

Comments

• DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    It's a weird time to be asking it now really. For sure they will be going with the idea for now since it hasn't even been tested yet. CBT2 is going to be the obvious testing grounds. The most early time to withdraw the idea would be if they conclude based on CBT2 that it's infeasible or does not compute with their estimates. But to expect that they'll drop the entire idea only based on community outrage (half of which is not even justified) before it has even been tested once is very unlikely. Also, it's very unlikely that Cuddles will reply to this post, so I'm taking the liberty to concoct this reply so you know roughly what to expect.
    mmvii
  • MarkMMarkM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 11,670
    There hasn't been any official word that states otherwise, so it's safe to assume that the addition of a second NA server is still the plan.
    mmvii
  • XphobiaXphobia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,000
    edited 10:12AM September 23, 2018
    Part 2
    mmviiMarkMtkmisereLightSnowMaoxchan
  • KriyaKriya
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 560
    Glad for the server split. Now my friends and I can play with good ping.
    mmviiDanDKGoanGurlMarsBlue
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,535
    Kriya wrote: »
    Glad for the server split.

what type of alien are you??
  • KriyaKriya
    MissVanjie wrote: »

The kind that prefers good ping and freedom of choice.
    DrSpinToWin DanDKRyia_ArcherMarsBlueSeekerScorpio
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    edited 4:07PM July 9, 2018

youre the minority, chances are they will decide on making one na server instead (if they listen to the playerbase)
    and being able to choose between 2 different servers isnt really "freedom of choice" when they both will offer the same experience
    PinchTheChaosLegendMarsBlueGuardianRS
  • TheChaosLegendTheChaosLegend
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,030
    Yes, I have the freedom to choose which friends I can and cannot play with now.... :(

Before I could play with whoever I wanted in NA.
    Also I live in California and will be playing on the Eastern Server. Because friendship > ping!
    Nexon why do you have to do this.. you break my heart </3
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    youre the minority, chances are they will decide on making one na server instead (if they listen to the playerbase)
    and being able to choose between 2 different servers isnt really "freedom of choice" when they both will offer the same experience

At this point, the playerbase are acting a bit irrational. First off, there are technical limitations which you seem to ignore. Nexon isn't doing this for sadism. Normal MMOs have tons of servers, MS2 just isn't very large yet.

And yes, it is a choice. You can choose to have actually playable ping which greatly enhances the game experience. The NA population is huge and you can easily make friends on either server. And finally, it does not hurt anyone at all because you can choose to sacrifice your ping to play with friends if your friendship is worth it, you can all meet on the same server.

The people who are against the server split are more selfish in this regard. They want to force everyone on the same place whether they want to or not, whether they're having a playable game or not. That's not a choice.
    OlujiwanKriyaMaoxchanMarkM
  • TheChaosLegendTheChaosLegend
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,030
    I disagree. I can have my cake and eat it too tyvm.

There are games that do fine with a single server for all of NA! You don’t need a ping of less than 50 to play an mmo reasonable well (especially MapleStory2 of all games). Just centralize the server somewhere in the middle of the United States (like League of Legends did) and the most people will have a reasonable ping with a single server location.
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    edited 1:33AM July 10, 2018
    What MMORPGs do fine with one server?

You guys do realize that it will be impossible for Nexon to only have one server right? This isn't just about having issues with ping or playing with slightly higher ping. There's no way that a server can contain all the player base give the amount of hype that MS2 is getting. Actually, even with smaller MMORPGs they have multiple servers and they still have server issues! Let's look at MS1 there are server issues and they have tons of servers.

It was never about having one server or two. It was Nexon deciding to host server on different locations. It would be completely idiotic of them to start the game with one server and basically grantees a fail launch like many other games that were dumb enough to start with one server(Bless....even with amazon mega server)

It really doesn't matter if the majority only want one server. It's literally an impossible task unless they want to sacrifice server stability for the next few months(imagine playing with 200+ ping, constant disconnect, etc this is what happen when a server is over loaded)

I'm actually quite surprise that people are still debating about this topic. Really showcase how the community as a whole lack MMORPG experience overall since the majority still want them to launch this game with one server.

Edit: I'll even bet one meso that the server will still lag with two server and that they will have to add two additional servers on release.
    MaoxchanDanDKMarkMKriyaMarsBlue
  • KriyaKriya
    edited 3:26AM July 10, 2018

I now have the freedom of choice of playing with a lower ping, allowing me to play a class like thief more effectively which greatly enhances my experience allowing me to enjoy the game. You're either blinded by popular opinion or you're own selfishness.

And this must be your first MMO if you believe developers / publishers will likely listen to the small minority of players that actually use these forums. There are many more things to consider that influences their decision making other than what a SMALL percentage of the community feels on the forum. Why do you think most MMO forums are filled with people complaining, but most players are happily engaging in gameplay?

Thanks for the split servers Nexon. I can actually enjoy the game.

MaoxchanRurumoMarkM
  • MissVanjieMissVanjie
    edited 7:05PM July 10, 2018

I now have the freedom of choice of playing with a lower ping, allowing me to play a class like thief more effectively which greatly enhances my experience allowing me to enjoy the game. You're either blinded by popular opinion or you're own selfishness.

And this must be your first MMO if you believe developers / publishers will likely listen to the small minority of players that actually use these forums. There are many more things to consider that influences their decision making other than what a SMALL percentage of the community feels on the forum. Why do you think most MMO forums are filled with people complaining, but most players are happily engaging in gameplay?

i dont want this game to end up like tree of savior, where they had one populated server and one dead server, and if you chose the dead server you wont be able to transfer. why not just have one server in a location thats good enough for everyone to have decent ping.

idk about you, but ive played many games that have one server and are doing just fine. and you call me selfish when you want to sacrifice peoples freindships just because you want higher ping? but go off sis....

DinnerGuardianRS
  • DinnerDinner
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,415
    edited 7:28PM July 10, 2018
    I can't think of a popular game that has east and west servers. That's actually kinda off putting. Hopefully it's one world and two servers. So we can choose to play with the majority at least. Nexon won't merge servers, Mabinogi didn't get a merge, Vindictus didn't. It will just be one dead server and one populated server.
  • SaitanaSaitana
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,060
    Dinner wrote: »
    I can't think of a popular game that has east and west servers. That's actually kinda off putting. Hopefully it's one world and two servers. So we can choose to play with the majority at least. Nexon won't merge servers, Mabinogi didn't get a merge, Vindictus didn't. It will just be one dead server and one populated server.

If thats the case....
    EAST COAST REP BABY!!!
    ᕙ(´• ᴥ •`)ᕗ
    MarsBlue
  • mmviimmvii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,995
    edited 9:44PM July 10, 2018
    sticker,375x360.u2.png

On topic edit lol: seems people have mixed feelings about this quite abit. Still getting used to it myself, was totally against it at first. Hopefully it will work out in the end.

DanDK
  • KriyaKriya
    edited 2:49AM July 11, 2018

i dont want this game to end up like tree of savior, where they had one populated server and one dead server, and if you chose the dead server you wont be able to transfer. why not just have one server in a location thats good enough for everyone to have decent ping.

idk about you, but ive played many games that have one server and are doing just fine. and you call me selfish when you want to sacrifice peoples freindships just because you want higher ping? but go off sis....

I don't want to sacrifice anything. That's why I called it freedom of choice. You are free to choose the server your friends are currently playing. If population drops off and they refuse to merge servers then that is irresponsible decision making of nexon and they deserve a dead game. One centralized server at launch is not a bad or good idea, considering we don't know how many people will play this game at launch. Nexon might believe their will be sufficient amount of players during the initial launch period and afterwards to fill 2 servers. Nobody here has access to or has analyzed their demographics, so asking for decisions to be made based off emotion is illogical.
    DanDKMarkM
  • MarkMMarkM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 11,670
    I don't want to sacrifice anything. That's why I called it freedom of choice. You are free to choose the server your friends are currently playing. If population drops off and they refuse to merge servers then that is irresponsible decision making of nexon and they deserve a dead game. One centralized server at launch is not a bad or good idea, considering we don't know how many people will play this game at launch. Nexon might believe their will be sufficient amount of players during the initial launch period and afterwards to fill 2 servers. Nobody here has access to or has analyzed their demographics, so asking for decisions to be made based off emotion is illogical.

I agree with this completely. Because Nexon of America is based in California, their NA servers by default have been located along the west coast. When I read the news that they were considering adding an east coast server for MapleStory 2, I was actually pretty pleased. But then when I read everyone else's negative responses regarding the decision, I was a bit confused.

I think it's great that they're offering us the choice of an additional server, especially one at launch. I'm not convinced that the game can be sustained by one NA server alone; a second one is an inevitability. But it's better to launch the game with two servers simultaneously so that they can have relatively equal populations -- launching with one and then adding another sometime later would result in one having a significantly larger population than the other. Players would feel hesitant about migrating to the second server because their progress would be reset, so that second server would become dead on arrival.

It's better to launch with two servers simultaneously and then merge them later if the populations of each are too low -- it would be far worse to start off with one server and then have to make a second because the game couldn't sustain the entirety of NA's population on one server.
    mmviiKriyabolder_taste
  • YasunokunYasunokun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,370
    I still think that instead of an actual separate "server" that they should have done regional channels. And don't say that is not possible, because Mabinogi server channels are actual servers on their own that you connect to with the client and transfer between them. They could technically name the channels for clarity very easily:

Ch 1 (West)
    Ch 2 (East)

Obviously there would be more channels than that. But yeah, I don't get why they couldn't have just done regional channels inside one connect/lobby server instead. Then if you were socializing you could be on whatever channel, and if you were trying to raid or something else be on a regional channel in your area.
    KriyaAkuma524TheChaosLegendzrxMommaT88KoiMiyaGuardianRS
  • RingringRingring
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,615
    unknown.png

Even Tupac agree
    WESTSIDE
    bolder_tastezrxGoanGurl