Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

CBT2 in July will the hype die?

Comments

• GarapaxGarapax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,185
    Czare wrote: »
    100% its gonna die
    but that doesn't matter, the brand "maplestory" is already well established and wont be forgotten

the game itself has been in kr for a couple of years now,
    with people sitting around bored for the global release for almost the same amount of time
    then when the 1st cbt came it sprung back to life...

nexon has a leg up, P2W and charging people exorbitant prices will kill the game and possibly lead to private servers which will serve as nails in the coffin.

but has that boredom reduced the eventual success or failure of the global release. Now that the CBT1 has given the community in the West a taste it created a resurgence of hype and intrigue and with CBT2 a month after and a release surely a minimum of a month later its hard not to wonder what the negative or even positive impacts of the timing will be.
    MurphysMittenRielysian
  • GarapaxGarapax
    @Kuroyasha even the people who switch between frequently and chronically are important to the longevity of the game as well as its hype. While they may not stick around they will add to an early daily active user count. Daily Active Users are how a lot of MMOs are measured. If the wait becomes to long and we lose too much of the hype train then ultimately you will have a lower daily active user count which could damage the introduction of new players who who see it as DOA.
    MurphysMitten
  • NattteNattte
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,270
    100% its gonna die
    but that doesn't matter, the brand "maplestory" is already well established and wont be forgotten

with people sitting around bored for the global release for almost the same amount of time

nexon has a leg up, P2W and charging people exorbitant prices will kill the game and possibly lead to private servers which will serve as nails in the coffin.

I see you are still alive then
  • nihirinihiri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 885
    but i know i won’t be accepted just like cbt1.

#misogynisticnexon
    Garapax
  • GarapaxGarapax
    @nihiri just get a founders pack lol.
    MurphysMitten
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    edited 12:42PM June 18, 2018
    Garapax wrote: »
    even the people who switch between frequently and chronically are important to the longevity of the game as well as its hype. While they may not stick around they will add to an early daily active user count. Daily Active Users are how a lot of MMOs are measured. If the wait becomes to long and we lose too much of the hype train then ultimately you will have a lower daily active user count which could damage the introduction of new players who who see it as DOA.

Of course they're important, especially during the early stages, but in the long term picture each one of them contributes much less because their impact is relatively little. They're going to boost numbers a little bit at an arbitrary point in time then disappear again. My main point wasn't to berate these people but just point out the fact that Nexon can do little to change their behaviour so they might as well focus on improving the game for the long term players instead of worrying about whether short term players will disappear because they take a bit longer to prepare for release.
  • GarapaxGarapax
    DanDK wrote: »
    even the people who switch between frequently and chronically are important to the longevity of the game as well as its hype. While they may not stick around they will add to an early daily active user count. Daily Active Users are how a lot of MMOs are measured. If the wait becomes to long and we lose too much of the hype train then ultimately you will have a lower daily active user count which could damage the introduction of new players who who see it as DOA.

Of course they're important, especially during the early stages, but in the long term picture each one of them contributes much less because their impact is relatively little. They're going to boost numbers a little bit at an arbitrary point in time then disappear again. My main point wasn't to berate these people but just point out the fact that Nexon can do little to change their behaviour so they might as well focus on improving the game for the long term players instead of worrying about whether short term players will disappear because they take a bit longer to prepare for release.

I see your point but I don't believe its either arbitrary or that Nexon can do little. The early game statistics of an MMO have proven to determine its longevity and attach rate by new players. Nexon can and most likely will provide other web events and promotions in order to keep that taste on the end of our tongues. This creates FOMO which is exactly what any new IP (yes its technically been out since 2015) could want. While i agree that the chronic switchers will have little long lasting impact, they will determine more than a little how successful the launch will be, and a poor launch will without doubt lead to poor longevity (BLESS (granted they had other technical issues to contend with)).
    MurphysMitten
  • NikorasuNikorasu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,750
    The community for GMS2 have been more than positive from most angles. The hype train is still very much at full throttle! c:
    GarapaxMelonCakeyRielysian
  • DreamerZDreamerZ
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,340
    More waiting for a cbt I may not even get in to...

I'd be lyin' if I said I kept hype after hearing that...
  • NyuraNyura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,690
    I personally agree with all you folks that already mentioned the fact that those who would leave and no longer play the game for the sole reason of having had to wait longer for it, are likely people who never intended to linger too long in the game either way.

See, in my view, if you are hyped for something, that hype transcends time and space and does not just disappear when you hear that you are going to have to wait longer for the finished product (It's like saying my hype for pokemon disappeared because once upon a time, D/P were delayed a bunch and people had to wait longer to play the games). If you are hyped for something, it is because that something is something you want to engage in and put your time and effort into experiencing. There was a reason you were hyped for that something in the first place, and if having to wait for it is what puts you off from it for good, well, I guess you were never in it for the long haul either way shrug .

I believe people who intended to play MS2 for a good while are also the people who acknowledge that Nexon are trying to give us a better game before releasing it, and will thus simply go and focus their attention on something else they like while waiting for the game they want to play.

TL;DR
    Every Mapler has a choice
    To listen to that hype inside
    I know the waiting may be long
    Maplers will have come and gone
    But it will carry on!

This hype will last forever
    This hype will never die
    We will rise to meet the waiting challenge every time
    Yeah, this hype keeps us together
    ...and so on and so forth
    MarkMSdragohnNekkoalaNilremDanDKRielysian
  • SumGieSumGie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,405
    My main concern is just a personal one, but I'm going on vacation for a week sometime in July. And they won't tell us which week the next closed beta is in. Isn't life wonderful? :'D
  • DanDKDanDK
    SumGie wrote: »
    My main concern is just a personal one, but I'm going on vacation for a week sometime in July. And they won't tell us which week the next closed beta is in. Isn't life wonderful? :'D

Many people will be away sometime in July, and I doubt too many would want to plan their vacation around a CBT anyway, so I doubt knowing in advance would make too much of a difference. And again, this is just CBT we're speaking about, I'd understand if more people were worried about missing actual release. No big deal if you miss out on a few days or even all of it (which is unlikely since you're gone for a week and CBT will most likely last at least a week).
  • DreamerZDreamerZ
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,340
    Kuroyasha wrote: »
    If they take too long, alot of people might have already moved on to other games. Though the same could be said if it has too many bugs on release.

People who would have already moved on are the ones with short term investments. They would have played for a bit, gotten bored and jumped to the next game either way. They'll also most likely come back again at some point because they will be jumping on for a short while after release no matter how long it takes, just to try it once, then move on to something else anyway. So no big loss there.
    People who have been and will be waiting for as long as it takes are the same ones that have long term hopes for the game and they won't mind waiting, plus they will be gone for good if the game ends up being of poor quality. So this is where it makes sense for Nexon to spend some extra time polishing (redesigning) content.

Stop throwing assumptions around. Just cause someone isn't afraid to voice a negativ4 opinion on longer waits does not determine how long they're going to play. It's been meh news to no news. Other games are releasing. So, can't really blame them. for moving on. As I stated, a good chunk of us may not even get in the cbt. For some of us, that'll be the 2nd time left out. After a while, ppl get tired of "just be patient.". Not hatin' on hypers, but, nobody should force themselves to be hyped when they don't care for the situation. Y'all dont gotta agree. I love the way this game looks. But, let's not turn this forum into a hivemind...
  • TriniTrini
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,380
    100% its gonna die

Well not really if we have to mention p2w its more a pay to speed up and well we didn't leave feedback for nothing. For once nexon won't move away without listening to the community we can hope for a proper game with the less 'p2w' as possible and that is why they take time releasing other beta or official release. I really prefer wait for a well optimised game than having no patience and having a fast released game with lot of bug. I'm still hyped by ms2 right now and if you cannot waiyt just play other games/chill with your friends as i do and you can take ur patience on.
  • GarapaxGarapax
    Trini wrote: »
    100% its gonna die

Well not really if we have to mention p2w its more a pay to speed up and well we didn't leave feedback for nothing. For once nexon won't move away without listening to the community we can hope for a proper game with the less 'p2w' as possible and that is why they take time releasing other beta or official release. I really prefer wait for a well optimised game than having no patience and having a fast released game with lot of bug. I'm still hyped by ms2 right now and if you cannot waiyt just play other games/chill with your friends as i do and you can take ur patience on.

I know its not the most popular opinion but I am ok with most p2w aspects of a game when they are implemented with care. I don't think that there should ever be endgame content locked by a paywall. I believe that paying to speed up a process is perfectly fine if someone has and is willing to pay for the privilege. This can actually be good for a game and its longevity as well by creating a revenue stream that can then support future enhancements. Its a slippery slope but Nexon and the Korean Marketplace are no strangers to micro transactions so we'll just have to wait and see.
    MurphysMitten
  • DanDKDanDK
    edited 2:16PM June 21, 2018
    I know its not the most popular opinion but I am ok with most p2w aspects of a game when they are implemented with care. I don't think that there should ever be endgame content locked by a paywall. I believe that paying to speed up a process is perfectly fine if someone has and is willing to pay for the privilege. This can actually be good for a game and its longevity as well by creating a revenue stream that can then support future enhancements. Its a slippery slope but Nexon and the Korean Marketplace are no strangers to micro transactions so we'll just have to wait and see.

"Implemented with care" is the key word here. I think most people will have to accept that Nexon does offer some kind of P2W. Where most people draw the final line is if the people who pay are able to gain huge advantages over people who pay less but put in way more effort into the game. As I've mentioned before, payment should never be more than a crutch that rich people can lean on in order to catch up a bit faster, but when money equals dominance, that's too much. Then it's just mirroring exactly the same gap between rich and poor that exists in real life. People don't play games to mirror real life, they play them because they can enjoy being something else by investing effort into the game. If they end up making a whale paradise - then whales are going to be all that's left once everyone else quits, and a perfectly good game with potential has been ruined. That's why having the discussion about balance is very important.

EDIT: Just in case that wasn't clear, being able to progress at faster rates than non-paying players is a huge advantage. Imagine 2x rates for instance. That means that whenever a paying person plays one hour, a free player has to play two hours to catch up with exactly the same effort. That's already a pretty huge difference if you think about it. Just because the free player will eventually catch up (thus eliminating the concept of a finite paywall) doesn't mean it's fair. Especially in a MMO where progression is practically endless - the free player will never catch up in a perfect sense unless the MMO develops slower than the players can explore the content.
    XtonyNyuraAlzack
  • GarapaxGarapax

"Implemented with care" is the key word here. I think most people will have to accept that Nexon does offer some kind of P2W. Where most people draw the final line is if the people who pay are able to gain huge advantages over people who pay less but put in way more effort into the game. As I've mentioned before, payment should never be more than a crutch that rich people can lean on in order to catch up a bit faster, but when money equals dominance, that's too much. Then it's just mirroring exactly the same gap between rich and poor that exists in real life. People don't play games to mirror real life, they play them because they can enjoy being something else by investing effort into the game. If they end up making a whale paradise - then whales are going to be all that's left once everyone else quits, and a perfectly good game with potential has been ruined. That's why having the discussion about balance is very important.

EDIT: Just in case that wasn't clear, being able to progress at faster rates than non-paying players is a huge advantage. Imagine 2x rates for instance. That means that whenever a paying person plays one hour, a free player has to play two hours to catch up with exactly the same effort. That's already a pretty huge difference if you think about it. Just because the free player will eventually catch up (thus eliminating the concept of a finite paywall) doesn't mean it's fair. Especially in a MMO where progression is practically endless - the free player will never catch up in a perfect sense unless the MMO develops slower than the players can explore the content.

What needs to be kept in mind is that this game was not created out benevolence for the players. This game was created as an investment to generate revenue. Fairness is not a metric that they are using as basis of decision making, profit is. I have been on the marketing side of the Video Game Industry for some time now and i can assure you there is a formula for most players happy/unhappy to amount of P2W the player base will accpet (among other metrics). That's why some regions will have some aspects of P2W that others will not. This being due to regional difference in how the player base will react to P2W features. They "will" choose the path that provides the greatest bottom line revenue at the end of their planned life cycle for GMS2. Opinions change within the community and that may drive change in the P2W structure but ultimately the path will be same "make money" and please the share holders during the earnings call.
    MurphysMitten
  • NumberNumber
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    The hype wont die, me like many others are stalking the forum for any information. I hope I get in the CBT2
    Garapaxmmvii
  • DanDKDanDK
    What needs to be kept in mind is that this game was not created out benevolence for the players. This game was created as an investment to generate revenue. Fairness is not a metric that they are using as basis of decision making, profit is. I have been on the marketing side of the Video Game Industry for some time now and i can assure you there is a formula for most players happy/unhappy to amount of P2W the player base will accpet (among other metrics). That's why some regions will have some aspects of P2W that others will not. This being due to regional difference in how the player base will react to P2W features. They "will" choose the path that provides the greatest bottom line revenue at the end of their planned life cycle for GMS2. Opinions change within the community and that may drive change in the P2W structure but ultimately the path will be same "make money" and please the share holders during the earnings call.

Fairness drives the playerbase, the playerbase drives the profit. They will find their equilibrium at "the limit at which they can milk the players while still having them tolerate the game". And doing so, they will have to take into account the players' opinions in one way or another. Maybe a few rich people don't give a poo about fairness but I can assure you that if you neglect every aspect of balance just to milk profits, that decision will itself tip the balance and lead to potentially far less revenue. We're only able to discuss how much we as a playerbase will react to their decisions which in turn changes their expectations for profits. But surely they're not stupid enough to think that milking barely content players is more profitable than having a succesful game that people enjoy playing and contributing towards?
    Nyura
  • SimpleSimple
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,445
    I think after releasing founders pack information the hype will rise again.