Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

MS2 subscription

DoodlezDoodlez
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,435
edited 9:39PM May 22, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
MS2 is f2p, but every game needs a way to pay for developers. We also know Nexon is notorious for pushing the limits to micro-transactions. I was a bit surprised to learn that MS2 will have a subscription method, but I'm disappointed in how it was used. Instead of in-game boosts, I wish that it gave temporary cosmetics/mounts while cash shop gives permanent versions. All the pay for convenience methods should have been locked by subscription so it doesn't seem like you can instantly progress more than people that can't spend large amounts.
Houjuu
  1. Should MS2 subscription be the paywall for pay for convenience while cash shop offers cosmetics?65 votes
    1. Yes
       51% (33 votes)
    2. No
       49% (32 votes)

Comments

• CeliaCelia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,585
    edited 10:43PM May 22, 2018
    I didn't know MS2 had subscriptions :o

If it does, on top of temporary mounts, subscriptions could offer exclusive perm cosmetics as an incentive to subscribe. I think pay for convenience should be available in both subscriptions and the shop, so those who know they'll use it often have another incentive for subscriptions while those who only want pay for convenience for a short duration can buy it from the shop.
    DanDKHoujuuAlohatkmisere
  • JointJoint
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,515
    Subscription based games are dying. There is only a few left which are big games in there own which is the reason why they are subscription based. If MS2 was subscription based then hardly anyone will play seeing as there a lot more games out there that are f2p or b2p. Nexon games are developed to be f2p which is why they have so much attraction toward them. Plus most sub games have changed to either b2p or f2p with paid xpacs such as guild wars 2 and ESO. Point is I highly doubt MS2 will do well if it was subscription based game. This game should stay f2p with very little to no p2w options in it. If they need to change it then make it B2P or do what ESO and GW2 have done and make it f2p with paid xpacs. That way it's still more or less a free game to play with out having to worry about stupid monthly payments. Besides if we follow the CMS2 route which it looks like we are then they will be implementing a VIP type of program which is there subscription content in the game.
    mewberiHoujuutkmisereAkuma524
  • NorthboundNorthbound
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,145
    Joint wrote: »
    Besides if we follow the CMS2 route which it looks like we are then they will be implementing a VIP type of program which is there subscription content in the game.

In CMS2, the subscription content doesn't replace the massive, game-breaking P2W features. It's just an extra layer of greed.
    DanDKHoujuu
  • CeliaCelia
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,585
    edited 10:52PM May 22, 2018
    Joint wrote: »
    Subscription based games are dying. There is only a few left which are big games in there own which is the reason why they are subscription based. If MS2 was subscription based then hardly anyone will play seeing as there a lot more games out there that are f2p or b2p. Nexon games are developed to be f2p which is why they have so much attraction toward them. Plus most sub games have changed to either b2p or f2p with paid xpacs such as guild wars 2 and ESO. Point is I highly doubt MS2 will do well if it was subscription based game. This game should stay f2p with very little to no p2w options in it. If they need to change it then make it B2P or do what ESO and GW2 have done and make it f2p with paid xpacs. That way it's still more or less a free game to play with out having to worry about stupid monthly payments. Besides if we follow the CMS2 route which it looks like we are then they will be implementing a VIP type of program which is there subscription content in the game.

I think subscriptions are fine, at least the way OP described it not being P2W. I don't know for sure what is in the subscription, but if it's cosmetics, mounts, or pay for convenience, it would be optional and I'm sure most people would ignore it and progress just fine. But if it is P2W, I agree with your points, especially if progress is hindered.
    AlohaDanDKHoujuutkmisere
  • ZatchZatch
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,850
    I think its fine the way it is right now.
    AlohaHoujuu
  • PonkmoPonkmo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,515
    isen't nexon's appeal is that their games are free to play? adding a subscription based model to a game that dose not have one anywhere else and also from a company who makes primarily free to play games would be way outta left feild
    Houjuu
  • RainbowRuby98RainbowRuby98
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 880
    i play Wildstar and its F2P but there is a subscription that gives some slight boosts, cash shop is 99% cosmetic and the game works well as a free player
    HoujuuSherri
  • TseneTsene
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,485
    As long as you can also play for free and it won't tremendously hinder you, I don't mind. Then again this is Nexon so I wouldn't expect the sub-package to be exactly fair.
    HoujuuAkuma524
  • MarkMMarkM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 11,670
    edited 9:45AM May 23, 2018
    Ponkmo wrote: »
    isen't nexon's appeal is that their games are free to play? adding a subscription based model to a game that dose not have one anywhere else and also from a company who makes primarily free to play games would be way outta left feild

KMS2 and CMS2 already employ a subscription service called "Premium Club" which imparts a specific set of benefits to subscribers.

This subject has already been discussed pretty extensively in this thread here.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a subscription if the benefits were strictly things like EXP/meso boosts. I would have a problem if specific gear/raids/dungeons and other content was locked behind subscriptions.

The people who would be willing to pay for a subscription are likely those with full-time jobs -- people who won't have as much time as others to play. So with a subscription model that ONLY adds boosts to EXP and mesos, the rate of growth kind of ends up equaling out between those with time vs. those with money.
    ZatchmmviiHoujuuSherritkmiseremewberimcmhimselfTigaur
  • TailsMilesTailsMiles
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    edited 10:11AM May 23, 2018
    It would be very disappointing to me if MS2 was subscription based to play. Unless the game is worth someone devoting daily time to, (not saying MS2 won't be) then it really shouldn't be Subscription based.

Didn't realize we were talking about Subscription benefits. Which are ok in my opinion. I don't mind it taking longer to grind a character up just gives more time to build my knowledge.
    Houjuu
  • SixaxisSixaxis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,795
    Making the subscription cosmetics-only will, unfortunately, not work at all-- and this is thanks to the UGC system. After looking at the cash shop aesthetics over on CMS2 and then looking at the UGC people made over here during the CBT, I can say confidently that users make better-looking outfits than 95% of what's in that Cash Shop. It's the same thing with making the Cash Shop itself all Costumes/Mounts/Housing; people are going to be more attracted to being able to make their own (Or get one made for them) than buying those from the CS and making your own is even cheaper as a bonus.

Current Premium benefits across the ocean are:
    +20% EXP/Meso's
    -20% Catalyst Cost (Enchanting)
    -50% Market Tax
    -50% Revive Cost (In Meret's)
    +5% Move SPD (Excluding PvP)
    Access to Premium-only dungeons
    Access to exclusive Badges and Items

Everything there is absolutely fine-- including the Premium dungeons as long as they don't give out too many resources compared to the other dungeons (There's still a daily limit, so someone who runs the Premium just gave up 1 Raid run). I'd be more worried about end-game content updates than the Cash Shop right now.
    mmviiHoujuuSherriBLAXJACtkmisere
  • Prime504Prime504
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,670
    It's stupid to assume that devs won't get money from people if they took out P2W aspects like the sockets or like mounts or whatever. If you look at games like LoL, Overwatch, and even maplestory reboot server. You can make tons of money off of cosmetics, The more people you get to play your game the more money they will spend to make their characters look good. You just need a team of people to create appealing cosmetics, and the F2P aspect of the game will draw people into the game because they want to put in time and effort to make their character powerful. They don't want stupid limitations of if you pay 10 dollars you can get more damage here or if you give us 20dollars you get the special access bonuses to things other players can't get....this is unappealing for our region, and it is made fun of EA does this all the time and their games are total ....just look at their starwars game...full of P2W aspects. People overwhelmingly make fun of it and downvote the out of it so it doesn't appeal to others. Just hope nexon doesn't do the same thing.
    HoujuuSherrisylph_tkmisere
  • mmviimmvii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,995
    Hmm ok so they have a premium monthly option that gives in game boosts? What all is sold in the cash shop, costumes and hair styles and the like? Didn't play closed beta and just started researching this game a couple of days ago so sorry for basic questions :p.

I think the premium is ok though like MarkM said it gives people with less time a way to equal those who grind constantly (I will likely be fully f2p, not sure I want to grind for hours a day again though but I am considering it).

I just hope there is a balance between p2w and f2p players though obviously one will have to put more money and the other more time to be equal. Gold selling bots can really imbalance things cause they sell gold for so cheap but I think Nexon has an aggressive stance against them.
    Houjuu
  • MONSTRMONSTR
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,240
    I can see them doing what Black Desert does with their Value Packs. That way MS2 can still be free while some players can pay for conveniences.
    HoujuuCubeNoob
  • NxnaNxna
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,855
    I wouldn't mind paying a subscription if the game ended up becoming my main.

The fact that it's free-to-play to begin with.. I definitely wouldn't mind spending a bit to support it.
    CubeNoob
  • HybridfoxHybridfox
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    When I played the Korean Beta there we're some pretty great talks within the community as to how to go about this. Some of the suggestions I wish Nexon would consider as it would really keep our community organic and free of p2p.
  • HaserothHaseroth
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,785
    mmvii wrote: »
    Hmm ok so they have a premium monthly option that gives in game boosts? What all is sold in the cash shop, costumes and hair styles and the like? Didn't play closed beta and just started researching this game a couple of days ago so sorry for basic questions :p.

I think the premium is ok though like MarkM said it gives people with less time a way to equal those who grind constantly (I will likely be fully f2p, not sure I want to grind for hours a day again though but I am considering it).

I just hope there is a balance between p2w and f2p players though obviously one will have to put more money and the other more time to be equal. Gold selling bots can really imbalance things cause they sell gold for so cheap but I think Nexon has an aggressive stance against them.

Except that in cms2 and kms2 there is both that premium sub and a p2w cash shop. Usually one exists to prevent the other but in this case nexon is being very greedy and milking people using both methods at the same time which is a great way to make a game that has players for a few months before the effects finally show up and people quit. Like Archeage for example, the p2w becomes unbearable after a few months and that is usually when most people quit in their fresh starts.
    mmvii
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,050
    I am not a fan of subscription based games because usually they block content such as maps or dungeons or items from free-to-play users... So much so that the free-to-play users are missing out on a big chunk of the game.

If I were to pay for a subscription, it better be a one-time price or I will be moving on to another game, one that is free-to-play with cash shop only or one that I would buy for a one-time price. ;)
    mmvii
  • mmviimmvii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,995
    edited 2:46PM May 24, 2018
    @Haseroth Yeah i agree it seems like a double dip in a way, just hope they don't load the p2w so high that it kills the game like you mentioned.

@Glirotus I know a really old MMO Everquest has that subscription system while offering f2p also, but yeah you have all these limitations like not being able to play new servers that they release unless you are premium and not being able to reach cap level. A game I used to play Dark Age of Camelot is going that way to this fall, but with serious throttles also.
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,065
    I already made a subscription thread. But I'll give my insights here.

P2w can always be used AND It could always be retained. Make subscription allows gem sockets to only have use in subscription servers? Wouldnt that be perfect? Wouldn't a p2w'er that wants to "play" go to their subscription server that separated f2p from getting exposed to gem sockets? Gem sockets is most likely way more (NX/Merit) than a subscription. So f2p can always choose the subscription over gem sockets.

Runescape did very well separating member items from f2p. When member items entered f2p worlds? It was unusable/nullified. It was only visible. And it didn't show the animation (nulled) you'd see in a members world. Meaning, you have to be a subscriber in order to even experience p2w.

This makes p2w'ers unable to exercise unattainable items from f2p'ers!

Maplestory 1 wasn't like that.

---Drakooon on mobile
    bolder_taste