Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17
Closed

[WINNERS] Gamepad Feedback Contest

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
MapleStory 2 Rep: 69,405
Administrator
edited 1:20PM May 31, 2018 in Contests and Events
Thank you everyone for your patience as we reviewed all the feedback for the Gamepad Support contest. It was a very difficult choice, as we found so much of the feedback insightful and helpful. :-)

The following Maplers are the winners of 2,000 Red Merets to be received during the Official Launch:

Xbox Category
Graham - Bigleaf
Cress - Hornbeam
Cinia - Bigleaf
VanillaLatte - Bigleaf
Sona - Bigleaf

PS4 Category
Shoebox - Bigleaf
Thunder - Amur
Gochida - Bigleaf
BigSushiRoll - Hornbeam
Ornil - Bigleaf
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We're excited to announce that controller support is offered during the Closed Beta. Since controller support is still in beta, and we would like get your feedback to make improvements. Plus, you have a chance to win Red Merets to use in the Official Launch for MapleStory 2.

For those viewing this contest, you are welcome to +1 Insightful entries (keep in mind this is not count towards choosing the winners).

SUBMISSION DATES
May 9, 2018 – May 16, 2018

HOW TO ENTER

Submit feedback on this thread with the following information:
- In-Character Character Name
- Server Name
- Category: PS4 Controller or Xbox Controller (you cannot choose both or any other gaming peripheral)
- Your feedback on the controller system

Here is some criteria to help guide your feedback (you are not limited to this list of criteria):
- Does the default layout need to be mapped differently? If so, how?
- How is the ease of use with menu navigation with the controller? How can it be better?
- How does the HUD layout look for the controller scheme? How can it be better?
- How is the accessibility of skills and items on the controller? How can it be better?
- Any other feedback that can be helpful for improvements?
- Are there any other peripherals we should use other than Xbox or PS4?
- You are also welcome to post your recommended controller scheme along with your entry.

JUDGING CRITERIA
Clarity of feedback - 50%
Conciseness - 50%

PRIZES
- Up to 5 total winners in the Xbox controller category will receive 2,000 Red Merets issued once Official Launch begins
- Up to 5 total winners in the PS4 controller category will receive 2,000 Red Merets issued once Official Launch begins

Read official rules here >> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/32580

MipieShángOrlFinn1337poppinbubblezMrJinnsVenariusAltairhntPadyNoyadaLezarDMFand 17 others.

Comments

• NXACuddlesNXACuddles
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 69,405
    Administrator
    edited 8:42AM May 10, 2018
    The Gamepad Feedback Contest is now open!
    LezarDMFAchiroRainbowRuby98Lavabeams
  • ShadowsweeperXShadowsweeperX
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
    In-Game name
    Darcia

Server
    Big Leaf

Category
    PS4 Controller

General eedback
    The controller system is surprisingly smooth with my PS4 Controller, and simpler to set up than any other game I've used it with before on my PC. For an MMORPG I am very impressed with how easy it was to connect and play.

Default layout
    The default layout for the PS4 controller is working fine. It is extremely comfortable to play with a controller in this game. Though the in game buttons are that of an Xbox controller.

Ease of use
    It is a very clean layout that I haven't had any problems with.

HUD Appearance
    Clear and simple.

Accessibility
    Surprisingly easy to grasp.

Improvements/Feedback
    It would be awesome if the buttons for PS4 could be added into the game and not just the Xbox ones. It would make the already easy to use system even better.

Any other peripherals
    None that I can think of, though I am sure there are others that a few people would enjoy.

My control scheme
    It is the default scheme except I found swapping the basic attack button (Y) with the escape button (B) cuts down on how many times I accidentally open the escape menu.
    GomiSeikoAchiroVioletChicútíeTrevor_MendesVotariNasirLavabeams
  • chrisfandchrisfand
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 335
    edited 1:28PM May 9, 2018
    Using an Xbox One controller.

The controls for menus could use an overhaul. Might even need a different UI just to make it work well with gamepads. Requiring the user to manually switch to cursor mode for menus seems like a poor design choice. It feels slow and counterintuitive; Almost unusable.

Everything else seems fine so far; Will edit as I use it more.
    giorgio200AchiroApassionatefoolTrevor_Mendes
  • ShángSháng
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,555
    Forum Moderator
    Ah darn tried using my PS3 Controller haha.

:C

- Shang
    AchiroTrevor_Mendes
  • FluffytasticFluffytastic
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    Ign: Lance
    Server: Big Leaf
    PS4 Controller

Very smooth overall. Only problem I have is having to hold Left button while doing combat moves.
  • Ghosty_Ghosty_
    In-Game name
    Sileanna

Server
    Big Leaf

Category
    Xbox 360 wired controller

General feedback
    For me using an older controller it was easy to use and understand. Navigating the menus was easy to understand. selecting items was a little harder as I had to change to my mouse to do so. I am using multi-monitors so the cursor could go off screen easily.

Default layout
    No complaints on the layout. Easy to understand and it is not all jumbled up.

Ease of use
    Other than selecting items, no problems. I prefer it over the keyboard layout so far.

HUD Appearance
    Simple

Accessibility
    easy to understand after playing around with it.

Improvements/Feedback
    It is very easy to use, I was able to adapt to it fairly quickly. Holding down a trigger to use abilities was new, but I knew I would have to after looking at the UI. Using the controller will most likely be my controller of choice for this game. I will be jumping back and forth between classic keyboard and controller to see which is better, and to provide any more feedback that I can give afterward.

Any other peripherals
    controllers from other manufacturers.

My control scheme
  • Wolfie1Wolfie1
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,030
    In-Game name
    Wolfie

Server
    Big Leaf

Category
    Xbox one Controller

General Feedback
    The set up was very easy to do but the controls themselves feel klunky maybe its because i prefer keyboard and mouse but its too many buttons you have to press to be confined to a controller.

Default layout
    Works fine didn't notice any bugs.

Ease of use
    Easy to pick up.

HUD Appearance
    Too cluttered

Accessibility
    One click and it works

Improvements/Feedback
    I would say change the menu screen buttons around a bit. Not sure what to change them too but it felt weird.

Any other peripherals
    Don't think so. xD

Note
    I did find a minor bug but i was in the middle of the maple guide for floating and i switched from controller to keyboard and arrows but the tutorial stayed in the controller mode. All i had to do was leave and come back but just a little note. Loving the game so far keep up the good work.
  • BrianLai30BrianLai30
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    In-Game Name
    Pulse

Server
    Bigleaf

Category
    XBOX One Controller

First impressions
    The controller support is definitely a welcome addition to the game. I picked up the controls and immediately got comfortable, though there is a bit of a getting used to. I do make accidental presses especially with the start menu and B menu.

Versatility
    The hot-swapping hotkey mappings with LB, LT, and RT feature enables for a variety of skill inputs without having to add more physical buttons. This gives the controller more buttons to map skills to. The cursor can become useful at times but I find myself rather using the mouse. The HUD is easily readable and quickly accessible.

Improvements
    While it is possible to remap the button bindings, it's not all perfect. For example, I remapped the Expand Minimap key to RB but holding down RB disables my character from jumping. This wasn't the case with the default button mapping of D-pad UP.
    Another bug I found is that if I held down Expand Minimap, then held down either LT, RT, or LB, then let go of Expand Minimap, the minimap stays expanded. This happens with default mappings.
    I'd also like to see the LB mappings to include slots for D-pad LEFT and D-pad RIGHT.
    I find the default mappings for left-click and right-click to be difficult to access, especially when dragging scrollbars and items. Maybe change it to A and B when in mouse mode.
  • AruluArulu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 915
    edited 5:26PM May 9, 2018
    - Character Name: Gochida, Wizard.
    - Server: North America
    - Category: PS4 Controller

YES! First you have several keybinds that are reversed - Holding a trigger and pressing Circle instead activates whats bound to Square! See my comment later on about re-binding keys.
    D-Pad should NOT be bound to opening menus!

- How is the ease of use with menu navigation with the controller?
    You're trying to make menus designed for a mouse, work with a controller - moving the mouse cursor with the game pad feels... bad.
    Make your menus work more like they do in consoles - look at how games like final fantasy or resident evil handle menus and inventory management with a controller - the cursor snaps to things in the menus, it isn't a free flying cursor.

- How does the HUD layout look for the controller scheme?
    The paging idea is cool and all, but why is one smaller than the others? Why not equal sized, or only show the currently 'active' hotbar? On a 2k monitor it is VERY hard to see the smaller bar.

- How is the accessibility of skills and items on the controller?

It would be nice if there was the option to bind controls freely, rather than be forced to use your paging set up - i.e. let me bingd LT+Square to whatever I want, not "whatever square does on LT's page"
    Also make it so we can bind abilities to buttons THAT AREN'T paged with a trigger or shoulder button! Hitting Square, I want to cast PHANTOM CLAW!

- Any other feedback that can be helpful for improvements?
    Your game ignores controllers that have been re-bound to use keyboard keys.
    DS4 is a very common and popular open source app that
    - allows your PC to connect with Dual Shocks over bluetooth
    - allows you to bind keyboard keys to button presses on the controller. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
    Rebinding buttons on the controller causes the game to try and use what IT WANTS the controller buttons to be AND ALSO the key presses the CONTROLLER wants it to be. This causes wild and unpredictable results.
    Whats more, disabling gamepad in game BLOCKS all input from the Dual Shock trying to send key presses!
    Also, you're game insists I'm using an XBOX controller despite the fact that I am using a Dual Shock - and it shows Xbox button icons not DualShock - VERY CONFUSING! I have a dual shock, I have no idea what A or B is on my PS4 controller!

If your game can't tell what controller I'm using, add an option that lets us pick PS4 or Xbox button display

Rebinding controller buttons under Options>Controls>Actions causes buttons to stop corresponding to what your action bars say.

https://i.imgur.com/OsemwTh.png Take this image for example - I have bound Jump to "A" and Action to "B"

Now when I hold Left Trigger and it A (LT+A)... it does what's listed for LT+B instead! That's NOT RIGHT AT ALL!. You have it hard coded so that whatever is bound to Action uses the bottom square of the action bar, and whatever is bound to the Jump command uses the Right square of the action bar!

- You are also welcome to post your recommended controller scheme along with your entry.
    I posted this in the controls feedback thread.
    Arulu wrote: »
    Give us the option to just bind buttons on our controller to anything we want!

You key-bind menu should look like THIS:
    General
    Jump - X
    Interact/Accept - Circle
    Pickup - L-Trigger + Circle
    Cancel - X <-- NOTICE THIS IS BOUND TWICE! When in dialogs X will cancel rather than do whatever else it's bound to! THIS IS HOW OTHER CONTROLLER COMPATIBLE GAMES WORK.
    It may be more apt to say:
    Jump/Cancel - X <-- THIS IS AN ALTERNATE IDEA I HAD. Jump is CANCEL in menus!

Action Bar 1
    Slot 1 - Triangle
    Slot 2 - Square
    Slot 3 - R-Button
    Slot 4 - R-Trigger

Action Bar 2
    Slot 1
    - L-Trigger + Triangle
    Slot 2 - L-Trigger + Square
    Slot 3 - L-Trigger + R-Button
    Slot 4 - L-Trigger + R-Trigger

Action Bar 3
    Slot 1 - Up
    Slot 2 - Down
    Slot 3 - Left
    Slot 4 - Right

Action Bar 4
    Slot 1
    - L-Trigger + Up
    Slot 2 - L-Trigger + Down
    Slot 3 - L-Trigger + Left
    Slot 4 - L-Trigger + Right

And so on.

I should be able to jump regardless of what trigger button I'm hitting!

JharkVioletChiTzukareMeiMeiTheCatYamito
  • MegaBurritoMegaBurrito
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    edited 5:48PM May 9, 2018
    Submit feedback on this thread with the following information:
    Viktormoros
    - Server Name
    Big Leaf
    - Category:
    Xbox One Elite Controller

The toggle for mouse is weird. I'd personally like to have it always just assigned to the right stick. I'd use the menu button to toggle zoom.

- How is the ease of use with menu navigation with the controller? How can it be better?
    Having the menus on the dpad is excellent. Clicking the stick is fine. It takes some getting used to compared to just using buttons to select items, but I prefer the way it is now. The only thing that is really clunky is moving the map with a controller.
    - How does the HUD layout look for the controller scheme? How can it be better?
    No problems. Icons are big enough to know exactly what I'm doing if I forget. One thing I'd do though is remove the "ZXC" buttons on the HUD while using a controller. Just to clean up some space.
    - How is the accessibility of skills and items on the controller? How can it be better?
    -Great! Flipping between abilities is no problem at all, but maybe an option to "Toggle" instead of having to hold LB, LT, and RT would be nice.
    -Going above and beyond though, it would be nice if it was possible to map controls to the paddles (Other than ABYX) on an Xbox Elite Controller.
    -Not sure if it's already an option, but being able to type with the Xbox Controller Keyboard would be a great addition for those that have one.
    - Are there any other peripherals we should use other than Xbox or PS4?
    I could see some people wanting to use a Steam Controller.
    Xbox Controller is the most comfy for me.
    Other Feedback
    I feel the basic character movement lends itself much better to a controller rather than a keyboard in Maplestory 2.
  • IAMPAINISCUPCAKEIAMPAINISCUPCAKE
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,135
    Can you not set items to the easier bindings? Or are all main functions taking up the regular (without shoulder button) bindings?
  • TerataiHancurTerataiHancur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 695
    edited 11:46AM May 10, 2018
    In-Game Name - Teratai

Server Name - HornBeam/EU

Category - Xbox 360 Controller

Feedback on controller

First Impressions and positive areas -

I had originally been playing with a standard mouse + keyboard setup, with controller support being raised I decided to give it a go. First impressions were great, the layout was easy to understand, labeled for clarity as well as easy to navigate and access (With the back button providing a pointer, this removed the need for a mouse).

Does the default layout need to be mapped differently? If so, how? -

The layout I find to be personally minimalist but on point, it shows all bound skills and items without obscuring the screen too much.

The only issue I really ran into was after switching to a controller, part of the UI for the Pickup/Basic Attack/Jump icons went under the text box before any adjustments were made. The main problem I had with this was that the text box could not be shaped to the side enough to prevent this overlap and instead needed to be lowered, causing issues with reading communication.

However, with the ability to minimise the side buttons, this becomes a relatively non-issue. Though having something done for those who choose to leave them up would be great.

How is the ease of use with menu navigation with the controller? How can it be better? -

The separation of the categories within the start menu to access information was well thought out. The main issue I had was that accessing things from the start menu wasn't made to abundantly clear in terms of what button to press to proceed to the next window. (I had found myself jumping around/shooting before I had hit the correct button to bring up the desired information). My next problem links to this in that a completely different button was used to close down the window.

I feel a bit more clarity in what keys do what in the menu as well as maintaining consistence would help with it.

EDIT - Upon further use, the window access part of the controller would personally be for me the largest area for improvement. None of my buttons on my controller seemed to add any skill points into their respective skills - In and out of "pointer mode". - This seems to tie in a bit with how half of what I press is instead making my characters do actions in the background. It took me longer than I'd like to admit, but I finally discovered pressing down on the analog stick was what would allocate skill points. It seems like a weird design choice for me personally.

It feels as though the menu screen is more of an overlay rather than a screen, and although I can appreciate such a design choice due to the nature of the game. It definitely feels like this is the weakest link in the chain.

How does the HUD layout look for the controller scheme? How can it be better? -

Personally I have no gripes with the look of the layout, it matches the other windows and sticks to the theme.

How is the accessibility of skills and items on the controller? How can it be better? -

Accessing skills is relatively easy, however, an option to instead have a toggle instead of having to hold the trigger/button keys to access skills would be great.
    By having to hold down keys to press other keys, it feels a bit fidgety to access certain buttons you're after.

Any other feedback that can be helpful for improvements? -

The only other issue I've noticed is for the "Left Button" menu that you can minimize and bring up. When you minimize it, it still shows a floating "LB" which glows a bright yellow. Having this disappear when you hit minimize would help in reducing screen clutter which I imagine is exactly what the minimize was there for in the first place.

Are there any other peripherals we should use other than Xbox or PS4? -

The only other peripheral that crosses my mind would be the Steam Controller, although this game isn't on Steam, the controller itself has become rather popular and an alternative in the controller market.

Summary

Layout and menu accessing is easy to understand, but adding consistency to what button does what in said menus as well as making a few UI tweaks would add great improvements.
  • Malic3Malic3
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 100
    Character Name: Eiden
    - North American Server (can't remember name specifically)
    - Xbox Controller
    Thoughts
    - Controls seem fine but the isometric viewpoint makes picking up and instantly moving in the direction needed a hassle and takes time to get used to.
    - Modifier buttons should be next to the set of abilities, perhaps having the option to toggle visibility of modifier button's skills (so they aren't visible until the modifier button itself is pressed)
    - I'm still playing, will edit as more ideas come in
  • Dook0Dook0
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    Name: Mimic
    Server: Europe
    Category: PS4

Make it possible to map any quickslots to any direct key. Having to "unlock" the quickslot keys with L2 every time you want to attack, etc. is very awkward.
    Also theres a bug where when trying to minimize the Attack/Jump/Loot HUD and the L1 hotkey preview, they always pop back out when changing map. When using a regular keyboard layout, they stay hidden.
    Other than that, it works fairly well.
  • VoidcraftVoidcraft
    - In-Character Character Name: Green
    - Server Name: Bigleaf
    - Category: Xbox one wired controller

Does the default layout need to be mapped differently? If so, how: The default layout seems intuitive enough. Holding the L and R triggers took a bit to get used to but once you've played around with it feels fine.

How is the ease of use with menu navigation with the controller? How can it be better?: Compared to using a mouse, menu controls are kind of clunky. Having to toggle between being able to move your character and move the cursor is a bit difficult. Maybe lower the speed of the cursor in controller mode.

How does the HUD layout look for the controller scheme? How can it be better?: The HUD in controller layout is very sleek, I do not think any changes are necessary.

How is the accessibility of skills and items on the controller? How can it be better?:
    Both skills and item use on controller is simple enough to do once you get used to having to hold the triggers down. I do not believe any changes are necessary.

• GourgeistGourgeist
    edited 3:05PM May 9, 2018
    - In-Character Character Name: Gourgeist
    - Server Name: Hornbeam
    - Category: PS4 Controller or Xbox Controller (you cannot choose both or any other gaming peripheral) Xbox One
    - Your feedback on the controller system : Ive been playing it with my XB1 controller, seems to work ok, i wish you could toggle the menus without pressing in the stick to make a mouse to do it.. Most games do it so that if you're in a separate window, all keys disable underneath allowing you to use it just for the current window such as settings.
  • SehruSehru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    edited 2:25PM May 9, 2018
    In-Game name
    Seru

Server
    Big Leaf

Category
    Xbox Controller

General feedback
    Movements are clean, and skills are responsive. Basic level of controller support is, I would consider, well executed.

Default Layout
    Nothing to criticize for default layout, I always rebind my keys to my liking in any game I play so I can not be the one judging the default layout.

Ease of use
    Easy to use just like any other mmo with controller support (ffxiv and Tree of Savior)

HUD Appearance
    There are some visual clutter that I will list in improvements and feedback.

Improvements/Feedback

-Unnecessary black box with skill text shows up when bumpers are pressed (visual clutter)

-B button (Cancel) pulls out the menu window (it shouldn't. cancel does not mean menu)

-Even if I rebind left trigger to right trigger, I still have to press left trigger
    to enable skills.

Any other peripherals
    N/A

My control scheme

Left Bumper (Buttons): Active Skills
    Left Bumper (Direction Arrow): Consumables
    Right Bumper (Buttons): Active Skills
    Right Bumper (Direction Arrow): N/A
    Right Trigger (Direction Arrow): Mounts *this one doesn't work because of the trigger issue that I mentioned above.
  • gavinhirogavinhiro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 100
    McGregor
    BigLeaf (NA)
    PS4 Controller

I am content with the current layout. The controls with the triggers (L2), is a bit weird at first, but you get used to it the more you play. Especially since the game is in beta still, and I wasn't too sure how the mechanics were even going to be like, I have grown quite used to the layout. The ease of use with menu navigation is a bit of a hassle because it is hard determining which menu you are looking for. The biggest area of concern would be overall fluidity and clearness of button allocation and pointer movement. The system is currently simple enough, but still a bit shaky.

Overall

Default & HUD layouts are fine.
    Menu navigation needs refinement (key clarity).
  • MrJinnsMrJinns
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    In-Game name
    Jinns

Server
    Big Leaf

Category
    Xbox Controller

General Feedback

Usually I am used to MMOs having bad controller support and the like, but I was happily surprised to be wrong. The controls are pretty smooth from what I have experienced so far.

Default layout

The default layout for the Xbox controller is working fine for me at the very least.

Ease of use
    Pretty good since I didn't have to tweak it at all once I plugged it in/

HUD Appearance
    Clear and simple.

Accessibility
    Easy to grasp.

Improvements/Feedback
    It is pretty much fine as is.

Any other peripherals
    None that I can think of currently.

My control scheme
    It is the default scheme except I found swapping the basic attack button (Y) with the action button (X) so my fingers had more comfort navigating the controller.
  • RealSpadowRealSpadow
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,845
    edited 2:36PM May 9, 2018
    Spadow
    - Server Name
    Bigleaf (NA)
    - Category: PS4 Controller or Xbox Controller (you cannot choose both or any other gaming peripheral)
    Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
    - Your feedback on the controller system
    I don't know if the team ever intends to add support for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, but I just wanted to add feedback on it since it partially works and it's the only controller I have:

The gameplay is somewhat comfortable with the Pro Controller. However, since it's a controller for a Nintendo system the buttons are mapped differently and the instead of RT and LT, it uses ZL and ZR. The positions of the A/B/X/Y buttons are also different compared to the PS4 or Xbox controllers.
    Movement works by using the left stick, but skills don't work because I think it's unsupported. I'd love to get an answer to this, because this is the only controller I have.

So far, with the controller I have been able to use basic attack with the L button and jump with the R button. With the B button (X for other controllers) I can talk to NPCs and progress through dialogue. With the A button (B for other controllers) I can enable chat. With the right stick I can freely move the cursor.

hac-procontroller-diagram-front.png
    hac-procontroller-diagram-back.png
    lolicomplexsylphwindMinniTassyLezarDMFPikaThunderFurrineyCatoooloooCyliliLL_and 4 others.
This discussion has been closed.