Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Please lets us use voice packs from other regions!

Comments

• ShuujoShuujo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    edited 3:52PM April 24, 2018
    Being able to choose between english and the original voice acting(KR) would be a great boon to the game.

There's always a worry when a game get re-voiced into english(or other languages) that it will end up being very cringeworthy(for some people), which for some is enough of an annoyance to quit the game. Expecially if the dialogue is changed so much that the original story or the worldbuilding gets changed/ruined compared to the original work. Or people simply want to hear the original voices(/personality) of the characters.

When it comes to filesize there's alot of options. For example; have language packs as extra downloads.
    Though getting the KR voicepack(legit) is one of the main interests; it would be cool to have the option to download voice packs from all regions.

Not sure if there's alot of dialogue voice acting or just noises in ms2 but:
    There's a group of people that is responsible to change the game to be more suitable for the region (censoring). Which may conflict with them being able to add the original voice acting as an option, cause it "needs to be censored/changed to be suitable for the region or the age rating". Instead of asking to get lines re-voiced, it's usually cheaper and easier to not include the original voice acting.

The censoring made sense in the past, there was alot of things that asian countries created that was very extreme for the other societies.
    But we're now in 2018 and at this point I hope to see a change when it comes to this kind of extreme censoring we've been doing in the past. I understand if the country in question have rules you cannot work around and the game needs to be age rated higher(or even banned) if no changes are done. Having an age rating of 13+ go to 16+ is a big deal.

Saying all that;
    I hope gms2 will honor the original game creators, do no(or minimal graphical) censoring on this game and give us the option to use the original voice acting. If there is voice dialogue we can't get because of censoring;
    I would appriciate if we can atleast get the option to have language packs for the attack noises.
    SherriMappelond
  • MatboksenMatboksen
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,690
    I'd love this. I always play with Japanese voices and English text whenever it's possible, so I would prefer to hear Korean voices over English voices in MS2.
  • DodgerDodger
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 725
    So much this. The Korean voices are way better
    JiexiQaradoxicalKoalatysleep
  • DaCurtisDaCurtis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,620
    I see your reasoning, although it kind of undermines the whole point of localising this game. If I was the dev to this game, I wouldn't want all my effort to go in the bin and just reintroduce va's from other regions.

Tbh, they should just focus on making the English voice's exceptional. Which.. Seems a bit far out of reach from the stream today.
    Koalatysleep
  • GandalfTheWeezardGandalfTheWeezard
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 875
    Its not the Devs that play this game and pay $$ for things in it.

They're literally here to make our time in this game more enjoyable and if having better VA's from other regions does that for some - they should allow it.
    LikitoRattyDollyEihaKoalatysleep
  • ArurauneAruraune
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,485
    Please, this would be awesome.

Having other Voice options doesn't mean they don't need to not work on the English one.

It just caters to the different tastes of the players ><
    GandalfTheWeezardDodgerKoalatysleep
  • DrSpinToWin DrSpinToWin
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,930
    edited 4:17PM May 8, 2018
    That's a great idea if you like to hear let's say korean voices. Personally I will just use the english voice over. I like to understand everything that's going on around me.
    GandalfTheWeezardDodgerTheScavengerKing
  • PhillipPhillip
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 825
    This is definitely something EVERYONE wants.

I think publishers should get with the times and start thinking about including additional Voice Over options.

I don't mind downloading an extra 2GB of files just for voices. I'm a Korean - American and I prefer to listen to my native language when I'm playing games.

I play OVERWATCH with Korean Voice Overs as well lol.
    OcgineerGandalfTheWeezardKoalatysleep
  • OcgineerOcgineer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
    edited 3:41PM May 8, 2018
    This is a basic need and the files are already available and ready to be used, even if there might be additional licensing fees on them for Nexon US, especially from those from the Anime scene. Most of us play the Asian games for the 'cuter' voice acting and in comparison, the US voice acting is terrible and cringy at least. This especially if you are on the 'Subs over Dubs' side of watching Asian Anime.

I think the main importance here would be to make a separation;
    - full regional voice acting, this would also include announcements (not really needed, unless for full localization)
    - partial regional voice action for character VFX and other sound effects (this is the most wanted I reckon)
    - regional cutscenes with subs would be icing on the cake.
    RyuujiinPinkencreamGandalfTheWeezard
  • TsuraiTsurai
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    I want European voice acting as well. If you guys can have asian, I want European.
    GandalfTheWeezard
  • CzareCzare
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,700
    edited 3:08PM May 8, 2018
    im sure some workaround will be figured out where you can copy and paste voice packs into the folder directory
    thats how the English translation patches for KMS2 and CMS2 were used

but yea, nexon give official support plz.
    GandalfTheWeezardKotoriMinami
  • OcgineerOcgineer
    edited 7:43AM May 9, 2018
    Czare wrote: »
    im sure some workaround will be figured out where you can copy and paste voice packs into the folder directory
    thats how the English translation patches for KMS2 and CMS2 were used

but yea, nexon give official support plz.

Ye but this is tricky as we might be able to, but Nexon US can go like 'hell no you are not allowed to do that' and goes on a banning spree just for those that want the option to use full/partial Korean sound effects, so best thing they can do is be there before that happens and include that as an option.

Look at Zelda BOTW they added Japanese voice acting for the worldwide release after feedback, and they actually listened. Certain Steam games also provide multiple languages to download like The Witcher 3 and Blizzard has voice sounds in Overwatch that you can select which you want. This also proves there is a need for it, and that there is no excuse for being an 'American company', it is 2018 already!
    PhillipGandalfTheWeezard
  • CzareCzare
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,700
    edited 3:19PM May 8, 2018
    Ocgineer wrote: »
    Ye but this is tricky as we might be able to, but Nexon US can go like 'hell no you are not allowed to do that' and goes on a banning spree just for those that want the option to use full/partial Korean sound effects, so best thing they can do is be there before that happens and include that as an option.

the only way you can get banned for that is if you stream or make videos, nexon wont be able to tell if a normal user does it.
    and ye, i agree with ya, on us needing it and lusting for it and all lel.

GandalfTheWeezard
  • XXPriestXX44XXPriestXX44
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    After watching the CBT stream earlier today, I can say that I'm happy with the english voices. However, having the option to swap between voices isn't a bad idea. I'm hoping cut-scenes (I heard they have some in this game) are dubbed in english, just because I prefer actually being able to understand without reading subs. Again though, being able to swap between the korean stuff (Which they already have completed in KMS and CMS 2 -- so why not?) isn't a bad idea as long as it doesn't mean scrapping all english dubs entirely.
    Agent_DragonfuryGandalfTheWeezard
  • OcgineerOcgineer
    as long as it doesn't mean scrapping all english dubs entirely.

Of course not, those that want it aren't asking for that to happen, just as an option, as everyone has different preferences. Full Korean voice acting isn't needed from the start either, but partial as described in my first post, for character voices and other sound effects is a wanted thing with perhaps what you mentioned cutscenes with English subs would be an extra luxury!

GandalfTheWeezardAruraune
  • SelfishKINGSelfishKING
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,095
    edited 7:07AM May 9, 2018
    The weeb inside myself just want to have korean voices as an options in gms2.
    GandalfTheWeezardAruraune
  • XioalanderXioalander
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 660
    Definitely needs to be an option. Just watching the stream I was already getting annoyed by the English VA and that was only a preview. Can't wait to listen to it 24/7.
    GandalfTheWeezardPinkencream
  • PinkencreamPinkencream
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,980
    Ocgineer wrote: »
    This is a basic need and the files are already available and ready to be used, even if there might be additional licensing fees on them for Nexon US, especially from those from the Anime scene. Most of us play the Asian games for the 'cuter' voice acting and in comparison, the US voice acting is terrible and cringy at least. This especially if you are on the 'Subs over Dubs' side of watching Asian Anime.

I think the main importance here would be to make a separation;
    - full regional voice acting, this would also include announcements (not really needed, unless for full localization)
    - partial regional voice action for character VFX and other sound effects (this is the most wanted I reckon)
    - regional cutscenes with subs would be icing on the cake.
    Oh yeah, partial is nice. English is okay for announcer and important dialogue. I'd like to change specific character's voice as it's mostly flavor speak. When you hear the same voices in a language you understand it gets repetitive fast "Science is the answer! No matter what the question is". I hope I interpreted what you meant by partial correctly, anyway lol.

Don't mind either way and not dissing the VAs' work! But if it's an official option people won't have to worry about having a "modded" client. Usually GMs (of other games) say they don't condone editing voice packs.
    OcgineerAruraune
  • RingringRingring
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,615
    Yes please !!.
    Most games when it comes to English speaking they don't really put 100% effort in it. I cant say much for Korean or Japanese voice. But I do prefer either one of them
    GandalfTheWeezard
  • OcgineerOcgineer
    edited 4:40PM May 8, 2018
    Oh yeah, partial is nice. English is okay for announcer and important dialogue. I'd like to change specific character's voice as it's mostly flavor speak. When you hear the same voices in a language you understand it gets repetitive fast "Science is the answer! No matter what the question is". I hope I interpreted what you meant by partial correctly, anyway lol.

Yes, this is mainly what I mean with partial, as a flavor option for the character sound effects and voice lines during combat or using skills, included emote sounds and other sound effects.
    GandalfTheWeezard