May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Pre-game research?

zombiefanguyzombiefanguy
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,435
edited 6:55PM May 1, 2018 in General Chat
I was wondering about something: What do more people prefer to do; research a game extensively to know exactly what to do and strategize for long-term playstyles, or go into the game (at least mostly) blind and develop your own strategies, forging your own path and learning the mechanics yourself? Or do you prefer to find a midground, where you know enough about the game to not openly destroy your chances at long-term playing, but not enough to actually impede your own playstyle shining through?
EDIT: This is mostly applying to when you start the game. Do you research every nook and cranny right from the get-go?
Drakooon1000justQlope
  1. What is your opinion on pre-game research?84 votes
    1. I like to research and know what I'm getting into, prepping for long-term and optimizing everything.
       48% (40 votes)
    2. I like to let myself go down whatever paths I find myself on, developing my own styles and strats.
       19% (16 votes)
    3. I try to make sure I don't spoil the game with it, but also not hate myself for bad decisions.
       33% (28 votes)

Comments

• KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,475
    I got both types of people in my guild. Personally, I like being informed about my class and the general info, but I try not to spoil any fights and content for the sake of the adventure!
    DrakooonFlyinghamtacoSherri
  • GahjunGahjun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,290
    Tbh, midway researched and the other half literally to be adventurous and do whatever comes.
    Drakooon
  • zombiefanguyzombiefanguy
    KazeCaelum wrote: »
    I got both types of people in my guild. Personally, I like being informed about my class and the general info, but I try not to spoil any fights and content for the sake of the adventure!

I tend to be the researcher. I like to tacticize for people and use what resources I have to overcome challenges, and that comes much easier when I plan ahead to get said resources. That said, if I am ever in a situation where my resources are very limited and challenges are harsh, I find research to be essential to plans and that I need to do it in order to be able to comfortably and safely overcome tasks.
    GahjunDrakooon
    Gahjun wrote: »
    Tbh, midway researched and the other half literally to be adventurous and do whatever comes.

I can certainly see both sides, but I prefer to be the more researched type. I find it gives me an edge I really need, and it's always helpful to have a bit more knowledge. I generally don't completely limit myself based on what I find optimized, as I still have to have SOMETHING to experiment with, but I tend to lean away from things generalized as "Bad"
    Drakooon
  • GahjunGahjun

I tend to be the researcher. I like to tacticize for people and use what resources I have to overcome challenges, and that comes much easier when I plan ahead to get said resources. That said, if I am ever in a situation where my resources are very limited and challenges are harsh, I find research to be essential to plans and that I need to do it in order to be able to comfortably and safely overcome tasks.

I agree; researching will increase the likelihood of a successful raids versus going in blind. Frankly, if that post from earlier today about dungeon limits is true, researching before doing major dungeons is a definite must for any mapler that seeks out rare loot without wasting too many resources!
    Drakooon
  • HotafoxHotafox
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,810
    latest?cb=20100925212746&path-prefix=es

in balance is virtue
    zombiefanguyDrakooon
    Hotafox wrote: »
    latest?cb=20100925212746&path-prefix=es

in balance is virtue

I can certainly get behind that.

I agree; researching will increase the likelihood of a successful raids versus going in blind. Frankly, if that post from earlier today about dungeon limits is true, researching before doing major dungeons is a definite must for any mapler that seeks out rare loot without wasting too many resources!

Oh? Dungeon limits? I'll have to do some more research on that. Hopefully my guild gets the information, too.
    HotafoxGahjun
  • TassyTassy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,740
    I have not researched too much about classes, bosses, or quests besides some basic guides. Other than battling, though, I actually have researched a lot of other features that the game has, such as housing and customization. There's actually a great guide on that stuff here:
    https://orangemushroom.net/2015/02/08/comprehensive-guide-to-maplestory-2/
    It's a fantastic write-up that explains a whole lot, some of which has to do with combat, but the fun parts are about the customization and stuff. Really fun to read, especially because there are pictures.
    GahjunDrakooonzombiefanguyOneLoneHermit
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,065
    @zombiefanguy nice post. In ordering of ascending priority I would choose to go in blindly as much as possible. Otherwise, any content that I can consume is taken too. I typically dont hard press myself into every bit of information. I would never do that. Usually leveling guides are specialized strategies to get you where you want to be. But, I won't find myself using those often.

---Drakooon on mobile
  • GahjunGahjun
    Tassy wrote: »
    I have not researched too much about classes, bosses, or quests besides some basic guides. Other than battling, though, I actually have researched a lot of other features that the game has, such as housing and customization. There's actually a great guide on that stuff here:
    It's a fantastic write-up that explains a whole lot, some of which has to do with combat, but the fun parts are about the customization and stuff. Really fun to read, especially because there are pictures.

Wow, checked the link and the guide is ALL ON ONE PAGE. I was like "dafuq why is this page still loading?"; *continues scrolling down*....Wow. lol

Nice guide find. Thanks @Tassy
    Drakooon wrote: »
    @zombiefanguy nice post. In ordering of ascending priority I would choose to go in blindly as much as possible. Otherwise, any content that I can consume is taken too. I typically dont hard press myself into every bit of information. I would never do that. Usually leveling guides are specialized strategies to get you where you want to be. But, I won't find myself using those often.

---Drakooon on mobile

I see plenty of value in what you say, but I personally find different elements of a game fun. I find the strategy and critical thinking portions, as well as the building up to great proportions, to be great fun. Starting from nothing but your wit and knowledge and growing to something massively powerful is extremely fun, and being able to do so comfortably seems preferable. Others see the journey as the funnest part, so they go in blind, but I see the end result as something to be forever chased, and each step to be incredibly rewarding.
  • KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,475

Well, we're talking about starting a game right? If its midgame then research def works out to be better
    Tassy wrote: »

Oh, a guide to the game? This seems quite interesting. I will be sure to take a look. You have my thanks for sending this!
  • saipandasaipanda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,010
    I've been playing KMS2 for some time now. not sure if that counts as "research" though. ^ ^;
    saipanda wrote: »
    I've been playing KMS2 for some time now. not sure if that counts as "research" though. ^ ^;

It certainly does! It's first-hand knowledge. It's better research than what we do, which is searching up stuff on Google.
    But, if you mean research in the parameters of something that gives you an intellectual edge compared to other people who've played for the same amount of time, then no, not really I suppose. But, to get the information to search for in the first place, we need to experiment ourselves.
  • saipandasaipanda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,010
    edited 7:30PM May 1, 2018

It certainly does! It's first-hand knowledge. It's better research than what we do, which is searching up stuff on Google.
    But, if you mean research in the parameters of something that gives you an intellectual edge compared to other people who've played for the same amount of time, then no, not really I suppose. But, to get the information to search for in the first place, we need to experiment ourselves.

I have not played around with optimal skill builds, nor have I done high end raids. I just kind of play and level up characters for fun. I play the mini games and play with my musical instruments. Pretty much just derp around. :P

I have not played around with optimal skill builds, nor have I done high end raids. I just kind of play and level up characters for fun. I play the mini games and play with my musical instruments. Pretty much just derp around. :P

Sometimes, I'm jealous of how much people can enjoy activities without stress. I suppose that just comes with being the way I am.
  • 1000just1000just
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,525
    Good stuff my dude
    1000just wrote: »
    Good stuff my dude

Why thank you my dude