May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Has Anyone Beta Tested Any Games Before?

TheKidYCTheKidYC
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,575
in General Chat
Hey y'all,

The title is pretty self-explanatory, but I was really just curious if there were anyone in the forums that had any luck in beta testing any other games? Also on that note, I wonder if there are any active maplers on this forum that beta tested MS1 (that would be really interesting).

To briefly start off, I had the immense pleasure of beta testing Diablo 3 back in 2011 I believe (i am really not sure of the year tbh). I was/still am a huge rpg fan and I think the Diablo franchise is THE greatest hack-and-slash rpg that will ever exist. There will be nothing else like Diablo in my opinion.

How about y'all? :)
RevorDragon
  1. Have any of y'all beta tested any other game before?109 votes
    1. Yes
       89% (97 votes)
    2. No
       11% (12 votes)

Comments

• GahjunGahjun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,290
    edited 6:31PM May 1, 2018
    I had the pleasure to beta test MS1 and had mark of beta bandana back then. Also throughout the years I had beta tested many mmos that had came and went (too many to account for).
  • TheKidYCTheKidYC
    Gahjun wrote: »
    I had the pleasure to beta test MS1 and had mark of beta bandana back then. Also throughout the years I had beta tested many mmos that had came and went.

No way......if you dont mind me asking, how old were you when you beta tested it? I missed the beta, but I played the first day it launched globally and i think i was in 3rd or 4th grade then, haha.
    Gahjun
  • GahjunGahjun
    TheKidYC wrote: »
    I had the pleasure to beta test MS1 and had mark of beta bandana back then. Also throughout the years I had beta tested many mmos that had came and went.

No way......if you dont mind me asking, how old were you when you beta tested it? I missed the beta, but I played the first day it launched globally and i think i was in 3rd or 4th grade then, haha.

Haha, well I guess 13 years back would make me around 13. Right when I was in middle school. :T times flies and I'm about to get married soon. =~=)/
  • HieiUKHieiUK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,490
    At least 50 or so betas at this point. Although actual betas, where the goal was to provide proper feedback....

Maybe 4/5, most betas including this one will be largely a server/localization stress test. The game has already had 3 years of bug fixes before we even get to play it.
  • NilremNilrem
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,050
    Maple Guide
    I mean, I've been in plenty of beta tests.
    More than I can count, actually.

But the real interesting stuff is alpha testing.
    I think I've only been in 3-4 Alpha tests. Hard to remember over the years.
  • GahjunGahjun
    I'll be honest, I'm glad Nexon didn't drop insane whale nabbing founders packs (which could go anywhere from $30 to $100+ just for access and maybe headstart items) like many other mmos had in the previous years.
  • HieiUKHieiUK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,490
    I'll be honest, I'm glad Nexon didn't drop insane whale nabbing founders packs (which could go anywhere from $30 to $100+ just for access and maybe headstart items) like many other mmos had in the previous years.

There's still time for that, unless open beta drops without mention of founders packs.

Until then they can very much announce them whenever.
  • MushMush
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,380
    edited 6:49PM May 1, 2018
    Yeah a couple, latest one being Closers and Soul Worker, Not sure why I Soul Worker, I had fun!
  • GahjunGahjun
    HieiUK wrote: »

There's still time for that, unless open beta drops without mention of founders packs.

Until then they can very much announce them whenever.

Well I guess if it happens, it happens.....

shut-up-and-take-my-memes.jpg
  • RevorDragonRevorDragon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    i think i got into the smite beta a long time ago
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,065
    I'm currently close beta testing Elder Scrolls Online Summerset. Which includes exclusive content to share for those who have access I'm assuming. Then Maple 2 CBT releases. I will flock over to Maple 2. Period.

---Drakooon on mobile
    TheKidYC
  • FishpasteFishpaste
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,765
    Played betas usually for FPS games like COD and Battlefield. And also played the beta for Heroes of Newerth. It’s just basicaly playing the game early, finding out whats broken and OP. Then on release theres always massive balance patch.
  • saipandasaipanda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,010
    I have tested quite a few MMOs. I didn't get the pleasure of testing MapleStory 1 though, as I only found out about it a little bit after its release.

I am looking forward to being a part of MapleStory 2's cbt.
    I'm pretty sure this is just gonna be a stress test of the server.
  • SHSuperSonicSHSuperSonic
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,115
    man i think 5~6 games,
  • TheKidYCTheKidYC
    Wow, everyone has beta tested at least 3 or 4 games! I was under the impression that beta testing was very selective/rare! I've only beta tested one game in my life. Haha
  • saipandasaipanda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,010
    edited 7:38PM May 1, 2018
    Wow, everyone has beta tested at least 3 or 4 games! I was under the impression that beta testing was very selective/rare! I've only beta tested one game in my life. Haha

it depends on the game, some closed betas are selective, but many aren't too hard to get into if you find out about them beforehand.
    by the time a game gets to a closed beta state they are usually* already pretty polished.

*some games go into cbt as a broken mess, or in a case where the game is coming from a foreign market, the game might be totally not localized and you get foreign and broken text everywhere

*edit*
    some games have a buy in closed beta test phase
    TheKidYC
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    I have never beta tested a game before, this is my first one..
  • TheKidYCTheKidYC
    saipanda wrote: »

it depends on the game, some closed betas are selective, but many aren't too hard to get into if you find out about them beforehand.
    by the time a game gets to a closed beta state they are usually* already pretty polished.

*some games go into cbt as a broken mess, or in a case where the game is coming from a foreign market, the game might be totally not localized and you get foreign and broken text everywhere

*edit*
    some games have a buy in closed beta test phase

Yeah, that makes sense! So do you usually hear about the hype, and then decide to apply for the beta (for the games that you tested). Or have you ever stumbled upon a game that was phasing into the beta stage and happened to jump in before it was too late!
  • TheKidYCTheKidYC
    Sherri wrote: »
    I have never beta tested a game before, this is my first one..

You got a CBT invite?! What an awesome first game to beta test :) I hope you have loads of fun!! Btw, which wave?
  • RekkazanRekkazan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,685
    edited 7:43PM May 1, 2018
    Played on a friends account back in the day while Maple's testing was going on. As in like, physically went over to his house and did it, not over the internet.
    Sherri