Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

What got you into MapleStory? (1 & 2)

ProcinogenProcinogen
MapleStory 2 Rep: 710
in General Chat
Hello! I'm curious to see how everybody got here. For me, I was introduced through my cousin, who used to play MapleStory 1 with me a lot. As soon as I saw that MapleStory 2 was a thing, I had to join.
Welp, it's your turn. What got you into MapleStory?
Hydro

Comments

• CaretakerCaretaker
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 550
    Honestly it was such a lifetime ago when I started playing that I don't honestly remember why. I do know that Maple was the very first MMO I started playing and that I made a lot of silly mistakes. For instance I thought it was important to keep your stats even when leveling, I stayed on Maple Island till nearly level 13, and I would ask for arrows because I had planned on being an Archer (and somehow thought arrows would be scarce).
  • FishpasteFishpaste
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,765
    That one friend who introduced it to the crew back in 2006. Now here we are. B)
  • AochieAochie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,850
    Heard a friend talk about it in 2005; signed up for GMS Beta in the end. :)
  • KitouskiKitouski
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    In my case I've always been a fan of MMOs and have played them off and on for the last 10 years of my life but honestly I am not really a fan of Maplestory 1 at all. No particular reason, it just didn't click with me. I have been looking for something new to play for a while now though so I've constantly stayed up to date with a lot of overseas MMOs, keeping tabs of the ones that look the most interesting in hopes that they come to the west... Maplestory 2 was one of those games and really was at the top of my list. It looks drastically different than 1 and like everything I'd love in an MMO.
  • TorinishiTorinishi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 715
    It being popular enough and me being bored enough to try it. That's pretty much what got me into MapleStory in the first place. And it usually happens with me and a lot of Korean MMOs nowadays. This is kind of a weird corner of MMOs, in my opinion. Not the bad kind of weird, just something different. F2Ps, premium products as overpriced as a new latte at Starbucks, whiny vets, new character classes by the dozens...I kinda like it, to be honest.

And to be a bit less sarcastic, I honestly do like trying out a new game if it means making new friends. It's just that the negative points have hardened me somewhat. Nevertheless, whenever I load up one of these games, my main goal is to try to have fun. And if it's not fun for me, I quit. Simple as that. MS2 will be basically no different, but I'm pretty sure we'll have plenty of fun with it, especially since platforming still seems to be a thing.

I always really liked RPGs with platforming and real-time combat that resembles a beat-em-up. Like Castlevania. I guess that's another reason why I like MapleStory. Now let's hope the jump into 3D is handled better than in Castlevania...
  • SheSaidSheWas18SheSaidSheWas18
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    The thiccness
  • Ryia_ArcherRyia_Archer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,070
    After quitting Wizard 101 (<<give me a break on this I was 12) I was on the hunt for new MMOs to play. I happened to come across Maplestory 1 being a suggested MMO on a bunch of sites so I tried it out, and was a regular player for about 2 years.

As for MS2, since I'm a person that really liked Maple 1 I was naturally quite interested in MS2. Although I didn't have enough guts to go on one of those sketchy websites to get Korean pin number...
  • AboAlhsnAboAlhsn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    The power(^-^) the fun & THE CUTE CHARACTERS
  • BurnedLineBurnedLine
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,745
    A friend told me about MS1, I think I was in middle school at the time? I don't remember what lead to that but the game somehow managed to keep my attention for the next 8..10? or so years?
    I learned about MS2 through blogs. I chose not to follow it too closely tho
  • vennixvennix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 420
    i played back during maplestory alpha, what got me hooked though was when i read in the patch notes: 50% increased pain and suffering (up from 100%). it was that moment that i fell in love with the game stealing peoples ore and getting my own ore stolen at pig beach, failing to jump over the platforms and falling into a pit of stone golems and if it wasnt the golem that got you it was the iron boar that probably subdued you. oh ya and the 2x exp cards after the plethora of unscheduled maintenances but if you disconnected you lost the 2x exp buff and lets not forget the weekend blessings
    Wildscar
  • WildscarWildscar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    I simply never got into MS, MS got into me. Pierced my soul with everlasting sorrow. Left body filled with scars from the grind.
    vennix
  • vennixvennix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 420
    Wildscar wrote: »
    I simply never got into MS, MS got into me. Pierced my soul with everlasting sorrow. Left body filled with scars from the grind.

ah finally someone that knows my pain
  • AtlasAtlas
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,330
    the beta invite did
    all joking aside, i don't remember.
  • zombiefanguyzombiefanguy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,435
    Being bluntly honest, my sister found BannedStory when we were both kids and started making epic characters and even a little story me and her played out. Then, later on, I started making little cute and awesome characters and making stories with them. Even later still, I found out that these characters came from Maplestory. I got the Nexon stuff and started playing constantly for maybe a month, then got a bunch of viruses (like, 27 trojan horses) because I tried to illegally download minecraft for free (Yeah, no minecraft was ever given to my sinful self). Recently, during a nostalgia trip while using maplestory design for a computer science project, I decided to try and play it again. Then I found out Maplestory 2 was gonna be a thing, and now I might end up getting hooked like I was before the trojan horse invasion on my computer.
  • SamuellLSamuellL
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,245
    First time ever getting on maplestory was when I was seven and my cousins were playing it. Got in one of their account to try playing it and found it adorable. Later skip two or theee years and I made my own account to play got really into the story line and have been playing it on and off ever since. When I saw maplestory 2 I just had to come join.
  • HydroHydro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 730
    It was during Christmas 2006, when I watched my cousin's cousin playing his assassin character. I was immediately drawn to the game with such beautiful art and music that blend in so well with 2D side-scrolling game.

Couple of years ago, I heard about MapleStory 2 was going to be release in Korea. But then I knew it was going to be 2 years to be in North America so I did not pay much attention to it. Couple of weeks ago, I logged back into my account and found out there is going to be CBT so I signed up and got accepted in CBT last Monday.

Woo hoo :)
  • ZatchZatch
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,850
  • BToastyBToasty
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 740
    A friend introduced me to it, gave me instructions on how to get to Ariant and left me there.

Was stuck there for a week or so. Great times.