May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Playing as the opposite sex

Comments

• SeilSeil
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    I'm male, but when making characters it all comes down to mood and the options in the game. I'm liable to play both in the same game depending on the options. Females tend to have better customization options, though, so I often wind up leaning in that direction. But other considerations are things like class armor appearances and whatnot, so it varies.
  • MushMush
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,380
    The older I get the more I start making characters of the opposite gender (female), pretty much all the 6 reasons you listed, usually the female characters are not the ones I main with, I’m probably going to make a Male for my main on ms2, but I might make some females when I reach max lvl on my main.
  • AerisRoivasAerisRoivas
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,345
    My character in a thing like this is supposed to represent me, in that world, so I would use a female character, to represent my female self, I don’t want to be a man, so I wouldn’t want to represent myself as a man
  • vEvergardenvEvergarden
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 855
    Might go Male on first character than female on second.
  • RisuneRisune
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,095
    As someone who cares quite a bit about cosmetics females generally get the better outfits with nexon so I choose to play a female.
    Mush
  • MadripoorMadripoor
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 670
    It's their choice :).

For me, I bounce between guy (Star Trek Online) and girl (Guild Wars 2). However, my girls tend to be...well...boyish in look (GW2: My girl is an Asura necromancer with short hair).
  • BloodyKyuBloodyKyu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 910
    I am doing it sometimes, when i watched an Anime with a crazy character and wanna play it in an MMO.
  • appledoglolappledoglol
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    Sometimes equipment for females are cheaper since the male to female ratio is higher :D
  • JakossiJakossi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,005
    Bruh, just play TERA, Everyone plays the Elin race, there's no point assuming someones gender anymore lol.
  • UpsilonGreenUpsilonGreen
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,445
    I'd like to play as a female, then find a male character. Then we can go somewhere where we can 'level up' together. Oh, yes.

But seriously, I don't really play as females unless they look manly or something.
  • RX0RudyRX0Rudy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 930
    It's weird asf
  • CwupCwup
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,380
    I used to think it was weird when I was younger. I do it on the occasion if it's more of an RP character. But, as long as the person doesn't act like a girl and try to get free stuff I don't think it matters. Let people have fun!
  • SamuellLSamuellL
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,245
    I do this in most games as the character design in my opinion are usually better. And now it’s just become a habit for me.
  • LokaiusLokaius
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 700
    In most games I tend to make characters of both genders, though my main character is almost always male. Mostly because I'm more comfortable playing a male character and I don't like running into people that see a girl character and come up to you and start acting like a creep (happens to me a lot of my female character..)

There's so many reasons people may play as a certain gender though. I know some people that are male and play a girl because they'd prefer to look at something they'd date if it were real (and visa versa.) I know people that play girls simply because there's so many lead males in video games, they want a change of pace. I also know some people that play girls literally only because they tend to have better customization options and costumes. And I could go on.
  • HosuHosu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,655
    I like my tank characters to follow a Valkyrie aesthetic, which isn't possible with male characters. I also agree that 9/10 games, female fashion is more varied and rewarding. Therefore I usually make female characters as a male, except in certain games where they have an interesting selection for males as well.
  • MeowrenMeowren
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,785
    Sometimes I kind of worry a bit about being a girl as an actual girl, since sometimes people in video games don't treat girls very kindly. My main will still be a girl though, because they're just so cute!! I've thought a bit about making a male as one of my secondary characters though ^^
  • boochuboochu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 910
    just normal mmo stuff if ya ask me
  • JavalavaJavalava
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,540
    I just wanna say, playing as a male is so much better. I feel like the clothes are way better and cooler. xD
  • RadiantRayRadiantRay
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,780
    Some guys make female characters in hopes of getting free stuff. It's really petty...

This is actually true. I made a girl character in a game because I didn't like how robes looked on male characters on that game. The experience I had between the two characters was like night and day, I made so many more friends on my female character and got invited to guilds whenever I wasn't in one. People in general are just a lot more kind and sometimes even give you free stuff. I've been playing mmorpgs for over 10 years as male characters and I have never gotten so much free stuff or was treated so kindly before as I was playing female characters
  • LokieuLokieu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,470
    I don't see anything wrong as playing as the opposite sex. The only reason I play a male is because I make my character to be the MS version of myself.