Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Custom Forum Avatar

Comments

• DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,645
    I've already seen people with them so it's obviously possible to circumvent the system in some way, but it might not be a good idea to do so? I have no idea, I don't know how they did it but they're actively posting in the forums so I guess Nexon doesn't mind.
    DrakooonDeadBotForum_Lurker
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,065
    Funny, I clicked yes thinking I was the minority vote and told myself it'd be funny if I was the majority. 85% say yes.

I said yes because I was thinking, it's so much better to let others decide their profile since a profile picture still determines who they are, and most people obviously think that isn't a bad thing. Then again, I also wonder if profile pictures would get messy. I am a prominent forum user since the early 2000's. I have largely concentrated in forums for those that couldn't make an avatar beside the picture of their in-game character (Runescape MMO did this).

With Runescape forums, the heavily moderated forums ensured that focus and attention was for the Moderators. Needless to say, I thought it was success at that. And so, I became more interested in the official news. What really got my attention was when I engaged in official news blogs, which directed appropriate forum postings.

Hoped it helps seeing that way if you said no or you were unsure....

tenor.gif?itemid=5297462

---Drakooon on mobile
  • Ryia_ArcherRyia_Archer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,070
    Cytex wrote: »
    Considering the forum for the original MapleStory don't give you the option for it. I'm gonna go ahead and say no, I don't fully understand why we're not allowed for custom avatars. Like I get some people might use something that's deemed inappropriate. But we have a discord server with like 2k+ members online and there's the chance for it to happen too. So why not just give us the option on the forum? It really adds a lot of personality to a person I feel.

It's strange because before the MS1 forums were revamped we actually did have custom avatars. However, after the updated forums they gave us a preset selection. Although if memory serves me right I believe for MS1 that was only supposed to be a temporary change.
    Forum_Lurker
  • DeadBotDeadBot
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,995
    First of all, Who said you be king of maple? we all know the best mapler on here will be Zero of corse.
    Anyways We all do wish to have a custom profile avatar to show out which person is which but to think of many ways players can abuse that privilege. Plus this a forum that younger kids and older w/ unmature people who look on to and one slight profile image issue and nexon's going to be ranted on for something stupid. its best to just have these images from npcs from the game so it dosn't "trigger" anyone.
    Ya'll don't want someone to be called out for having a photo of themself's or stuff they like as a avatar just to make them feel bad, do ya?
    we have people who will go and do stuff like that which is wrong. really wrong..
    Noobaiter
  • NXACuddlesNXACuddles
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 69,405
    Administrator
    Agreed. Having custom avatar gives you a sense of individuality.
    Sometimes I remember forum users simply by their avatar alone! X-D

There are some security concerns on allowing Maplers to use custom avatars, even if it's hosted by imgur etc.

However, our team is trying to see if we can have your avatars tied to your in-game character! We will see if this can be applied (it's a bit tough to implement). But we won't be able to add this feature until official launch since this is when characters are not wiped.
    DeadBotPetalmagicHotafoxEmmaClarkeJonnJuyaMikuOllietEIusiveBamboozlerVenusVSand 7 others.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,090
    NXACuddles wrote: »

There are some security concerns on allowing Maplers to use custom avatars, even if it's hosted by imgur etc.

However, our team is trying to see if we can have your avatars tied to your in-game character! We will see if this can be applied (it's a bit tough to implement). But we won't be able to add this feature until official launch since this is when characters are not wiped.

That sounds really cool, should add for MS1 forums too!
    Forum_Lurker
  • kiddecepticonkiddecepticon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,830

I know this feeling. Anytime I see the duck avatar, I think it's @NXACuddles, and then I'm kind of sad when it isn't. ^_^

• LuBaoLuBao
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    Custom as in it looks like our avatar from the game, that would be cool. Kind of like maplestory 1 and basilmarket have it, i'd be down
    Forum_Lurker
  • Professor_QProfessor_Q
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 925
    Well yeah I would like to see my drawing as a avatar.
    Forum_Lurker
  • nurbnurb
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,305

Custom avatars would be nice, or even the in-game characters like you said.
    I believe the FFXIV forums show your main character as your forum picture, and updates whenever your equips in-game change.
    Forum_Lurker
  • NoobaiterNoobaiter
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,220
    Post your will be avatars here:
    fsjal.jpg
    Forum_Lurker
  • nurbnurb
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,305
    Noobaiter wrote: »
    Post your will be avatars here:
    fsjal.jpg

qxxaWlO.jpg
    NoobaiterMoxarForum_Lurker
  • SirDopeSirDope
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,460
    Motastik wrote: »
    Why don't you guys ever have different color Avatars. At least allow us to change the skin tone. ^_^ PLEASE?!?

Might be a late answer, but i guess ur right there must be a possibility to change our forum skin and maybe design our name with colors, so each one can use their own color which they prefer and maybe by posting and sharing > Likes, insightfulls we can get a glow around our name which will be upgrading each amount of posts etc.
    Forum_Lurker
  • MezPezMezPez
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    I think it would be cool to have a custom avatar on the forums. I have a nice chbi ahri icon that I use on every forum! I also think it would be nice to have a dark theme. All the bright light hurts my eyes at certain hours of the day!
    Forum_Lurker
  • BughawBughaw
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 850
    edited 4:39AM April 23, 2018

Perhaps only allow custom avatars to users who've accumulated x amount of MS 2 Rep just so not everyone can easily abuse or do anything malicious. Although a con for this would possibly be users spamming the forums for more rep.

Another idea I had in mind was, if ever custom avatars won't be approved, host an Avatar making contest once a month with 1 - 3 winners wherein their works would be a possible option for avatars + give the winners a badge for participating and winning.
    Forum_Lurker
  • zh_joezh_joe
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
  • JauniceJaunice
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,805
    I for one don't really want to have customised avatars, but I do understand people's reasonings.

Mostly because I'm worried with what people can use as their avatars.

Then again... I like wearing a uniform than wearing my normal clothes.
    Forum_Lurker
  • MatboksenMatboksen
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,690
    If it's security issues they are worried about, why not be able to upload the avatar from your computer directly onto the forum?
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 19,815
    @Matboksen By security issues they mean more along the lines of people uploading inappropriate pictures as their avatar.
    MatboksenBonfiremin
  • ToxicbrainToxicbrain
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 840
    edited 7:04AM April 23, 2018
    Depends. I don't like to see avatars that are not appropriate for this forum.
    If they can find a way to solve this problem, then sure.
    If not, then perhaps add ways to unlock more avatars by reaching certain goals on the forum, website, in-game.
    Or by having avatar contests and the top *enter number* winning avatars gets added or can only by used by those winners.

But this might be disliked by people also that want to use certain avatar but are not able to unlock it.
    Forum_Lurker