Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

MapleStory 2 Difficulty and Level Progression

Comments

• JoopJoop
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,115
    Florentius wrote: »
    Interesting, I myself never really played that much of the original Maplestory and the grinding initially turned me off but I never considered the possiblity of the potential social aspects that come with it.

Right now I can see myself enjoying both kinds of leveling.. So having the option certainly would´t hurt!

Yea MS1 used to be very fun, very social, and very inclusive. Now its all about who can push out the highest dps and all about posting videos on youtube of killing bosses in matter of minutes.. ugh no thanks.. it encourages spending money and encourages the community to be all about dps without having to form a party with healers or support classes.

I agree that we should have both aspects. But If it came down to it...
    I want party grinding to be the most optimal way of leveling along with party quests/dungeons that can only be done within a certain level range. If the dungeon is level 16 dungeon, only level 16-20 can enter or something like that.

Then after those, we could have the solo grind and then quests.

keep the epic quest story line that has some exclusive reward at the end so its still relevant. Maybe a cosmetic item or whatever but something that can be only earned by completing the epic story line quest so people who are into that kind of stuff are rewarded. And for others who are not into questing, still feel the need/want to finish for the exclusive item.

I just have a problem with making the epic story line quest the most optimal way and trust me when I say that the margin is dumb large compared to party grinding/solo grinding.
    Sherri
  • RankoRanko
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,615
    edited 10:52PM April 19, 2018
    Joop wrote: »
    I got a respond on reddit. I basically reposted this on reddit too.. and he gave us some visuals to compare how it used to be before restart and how it is now after restart..

Here is a comparison video of what the first dungeon in the game used to be like compared to how it is now.......... you decide what looks more fun and what you prefer..

OH AND BTW, IN THE "HERE'S WHAT IT IS NOW" VIDEO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO KILL ANY OF THOSE MOBS OR FREE THOSE NPC'S. USUALLY PEOPLE SKIP ALL OF THAT AND GO STRAIGHT TO THE BOSS. IT REALLY TAKES LESS THAN A MINUTE TO CLEAR THAT DUNGEON.
    Had to put it in caps so people don't miss it.

Here's what the original cherry blossom PQ was like :

Here's what it is now:

man, that kinda hurt to look at
    MEATANDMEAT
  • JoopJoop
    edited 11:15PM April 19, 2018
    I hope a CM responds to you man or my post because we both make similar points. :)
  • paipanloverpaipanlover
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,660
    They should have something similar to the freemarket, so that people can spam to their hearts content, instead of selling their gear through a marketplace.
    I like the blackmarket. All the spamming on channel1 annoyed me. I still remember Perion ch1 back in 2005. Nostalgic, but not fun. At least not for me.

In the trailer is says "be adventurous". I hope this game will be more of an adventure, than a walk in the park.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,835
    I haven't played the other versions of MS2 out there but can anyone confirm what the gameplay is like? Is it solo or group based? Are there more or less advantages to playing as a group?

As others have said, it's often social interactions that bring life to a game, even if it's rather devoid of content (looking at sea of thieves).
  • ImSchepterImSchepter
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 660
    Party play is an important part of keeping the community together. While having solo content is great for those who can't commit to longer play sessions where you need to find additional people, but a good mix is prefer than just solo all together.

Heck I work 9-5 and I'm all for a good bunch of group content.
  • UbermanUberman
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,805
    edited 4:57AM April 20, 2018
    In this day and age. Its hard in other MMO's to find parties that coordinate with each other well or be social to each other. i expect the same thing to happen here. Sure it helps that i show them the ropes and be friendly towards them but then you have these quiet types or some that just have a hard time learning and before you know it times up and life calls and have just made slight progress.

Its great then if you find that party you had a blast with but its rare so you just do your own thing most of the time you have left.
  • MochaLatteMochaLatte
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,485
    edited 6:44AM April 20, 2018
    How many PQs exist before the 50+ endgame?

I found a random old list, and it has 5 PQs, and and then 9 raids between 28-40. If you do each of them 2 times, and they average 10 minutes each, that'd be ~4-5 hours of play. If the story quests (one would assume grinding normal mobs and traversing maps) take ~7 hours to complete to clear the levels between the dungeons... that seems very reasonable to me...

So I don't quite understand why they'd cut the dungeons down to 1-2 minutes each and make them easily soloable like this with no puzzles or jump challenges. If you want people to fly through the levels, which can itself serve a purpose, why not remove the PQs from the lower levels, and retune their stats and monster spawns so that they again require high levels and teamwork to complete, but then also give good rewards, like crafting materials so their always worth doing, plus exclusive cosmetics and house items so that it's worth participating in all of them at some point?

The more I see, the more I'm confused about the structuring of this game.
    SherriJuya
  • BlazeStoneZBlazeStoneZ
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    Slatymate wrote: »
    Hello maplers! I just want to let you know what I understand some players do not wish the game to become to easy, but the game must still remain balanced. I forwarded your concerns on this topic.

Will there be a heroic option for dungeons or raids?
    Than we can keep the settings balanced.
    Argetlam
  • BakaAnikiBakaAniki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,620
    I think by now they should've learned that we, the western players, are a totally different market than the Koreans. Just look at the state of MS1. While KMS1 is still strong and popular after the Big Bang update and all the other crap that came later, GMS1 began declining after that update. We, the community, have also been very vocal about that but I think it was just too late to change things back. So, I really hope Nexon America learned from those mistakes and avoid repeating them with GMS2. And I think this is the perfect time because they now seem to be more aware of the community and our opinions unlike before when they didn't really care.
    JoopSherriUnyieldingFlame
  • NorthboundNorthbound
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,145
    This is stupid.
    TokiToki wrote: »
    Uh, yea. I don't like mindlessly grinding. I don't want difficulty to mean "make it more of a grind to level up"
    I do like creative, challenging PQs/instances that you can go through with other people, and I like when they give unique rewards and non-trivial amounts of exp.

QFT because a like wasn't enough. I do want the dungeons and raids to be harder than they were in KMS2, but far too many masochists on this forum have been led to believe that time = difficulty.
    Hello maplers! I just want to let you know what I understand some players do not wish the game to become to easy, but the game must still remain balanced. I forwarded your concerns on this topic.

In the other regions, a group of just 3 players can complete the hardest 10-man raid in the game. The other raids can be completed in just a couple of minutes. Most of the group dungeons can be completed solo without an issue. Does that sound at all like balance?
    IncarneLæfyJuya
  • GononasGononas
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,575
    I also agree with this post.
    The reason me and my friends stopped playing ms1 , is because it became a single player game.

The most fun i had in kms2 beta was grinding mobs in groups and doing pqs.
    Last week i tried it out again and i got to lvl 14 without killing monsters by dialog only.
    Very boring!

Grouping should always be encouraged in a good MMO
    JoopSherriUnyieldingFlame
  • JoopJoop
    Thanks for all the likes and insightsfuls and I'm happy to see most of you guys agree..

I'm still patiently waiting for a CM to reply. :/
    SherriUnyieldingFlame
  • JoopJoop
    MochaLatte wrote: »
    How many PQs exist before the 50+ endgame?

I found a random old list, and it has 5 PQs, and and then 9 raids between 28-40. If you do each of them 2 times, and they average 10 minutes each, that'd be ~4-5 hours of play. If the story quests (one would assume grinding normal mobs and traversing maps) take ~7 hours to complete to clear the levels between the dungeons... that seems very reasonable to me...

So I don't quite understand why they'd cut the dungeons down to 1-2 minutes each and make them easily soloable like this with no puzzles or jump challenges. If you want people to fly through the levels, which can itself serve a purpose, why not remove the PQs from the lower levels, and retune their stats and monster spawns so that they again require high levels and teamwork to complete, but then also give good rewards, like crafting materials so their always worth doing, plus exclusive cosmetics and house items so that it's worth participating in all of them at some point?

The more I see, the more I'm confused about the structuring of this game.

There are a lot of dungeons below lvl 50 (not sure about raids) that the game has. Usually the epic storyline quest weaves the dungeons in with the story.
    Having said that, you can enter the dungeon alone because it's really easy to solo. Or you could ask for help from players using the "get help from other players" button and an high lvl player will enter your party and do the dungeon for you...

Imagine, as a brand new person, who enters the dungeon for the first time with 3 other lvl 70, 60, 80 players.. can you imagine what that's like? It sucks.. you can't even see the mobs (assuming they kill it in order to advance, but sometimes they just straight up ignore) or the boss, you take couple of steps into the dungeon and those high lvl players are already at the end killing the boss and its over within matter if 10~20 seconds... Btw They join your party because they're awarded specific coins for participating and helping out a new player in their dungeon.. I understand what the devs were going for by rewarding the high level players to be more interactive and help out new players but honestly it does more harm than good

Also these dungeons do give rewards like skins, mats for crafting and dungeon exlusive items. I think that's really cool. It's awesome they do that.
    Sherri
  • ChillBearChillBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,835
    I personally would love exceptionally difficult content. Make it like Diablo 3 on release where you were forced to revisit easier content to grind out equipment to allow you to progress just a few inches further in the harder difficulties lul
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,050
    Most friends are made in guilds or Party Quests. It does sting seeing the Party Quest place a ghost town especially with all the NPCs there. It is like everyone just vanished.

MS2 might be different or it might be the same, but I hope Party Quests get attention (If there is Party Quests).

I do have several ideas on how Parties can work but that is not the idea behind this thread xD

Just keep things balanced and this game will have the best of both worlds. (=
  • CubeNoobCubeNoob
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,065

Thanks a lot!
  • NorthboundNorthbound
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,145

Will there be a heroic option for dungeons or raids?
    Than we can keep the settings balanced.

There are chaos versions of raid bosses, but those are still facerolls.
  • OmegaLuLOmegaLuL
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,030
    edited 4:18PM April 20, 2018
    I remember grinding PQ's like Nett's, Romeo and Ludi with dozens of others, now they're non-existent. Now there are just so many better ways to level and get better gear than party questing, I feel like I'm playing a singleplayer game.
  • EIusiveEIusive
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,090
    I'd personally enjoy a happy medium between the two, I enjoy grouping with others but also love to solo grind, I don't think they will mess it up. :)