Learn everything about the Guilded Glory update this month from the patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45646/

Back again

KrausbartKrausbart
MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
in General Chat
Hello everyone.
I'm a returning player on the EU server and I was wondering about what has changed while I was gone. I thought about just logging in an see for myself but I was immediately overwhelmed by a lot of messages like for example: "BUY A STICKER HERE" "CHECK OUT SKY FORTRESS" "CLICK THE JOB RANK BUTTON".

These notifications didn't really motivate me to actually start playing and I just closed the game after looking at my guild as I was surprised to see I was still in one even after not playing for multiple months. Sadly, of the 40+ members none have been online for 40-160 days. So there's no one who can help me there.

Therefore I came here to the forums where people can actually help me out. :-)

Firstly, the time I stopped playing was when the 10 party size raids were added. I remember that I couldn't participate in them for one or another reason and doing Fire Dragon and Labyrinth for 300+ times with nothing else to do I simply got bored and stopped playing MS2.

But this has been more than half a year ago so I'm thinking that there must be so much more to do now. And in addition old game mechanics like the useless crafting and farming system have now a probably useful purpose now, right?

While I have multiple characters already, namely a Wizard, Berserker, Knight and an Assassin with GS between 3500 and 4200. I was thinking about simply making a new characters and act like I'm playing for the first time again. The new Striker seems cool.

Or would that be a bad idea as this game always seemed beginner unfriendly and with all the new content the gap betweem me and the established players would be even bigger?

Should I mabye join another guild again? The people from my first and second guild all stopped playing while I was still active. The people from my third stopped playing while I was inactive so I'm not sure if I'd like to try a fourth guild for now.

Hmm... I seem to be rambling on so I better just stop here.
So what would you guys recommend me on doing to get back in and which things which were added and changed should I look out for? I couldn't find an up-to-date guide but maybe there is one somewhere?

Comments

• CMKyriosCMKyrios
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,435
    Administrator
    I would still recommend finding a new guild and friends to play with. MapleStory 2 is more fun and more intuitive to play meeting people you can run content with or hang out with on your downtime.

Progression has become significantly more streamlined and less RNG-focused. Most of the systems regarding RNG have become predictable systems in the many months you were gone. Enchanting, pets, gemstones, socketing, and other changes.

With the Burning event, you can start over again if you want. Upon reaching level 60 you get a intermediary set of equipment that equals out to 9300 gear score for free. It's a foot-in-the-door step to start the rest of your journey with everyone else.

Crafting is still a system primarily for crafting your own buff items. It continues to be one of the hottest topics that players want us to address now that the summer expansion has passed.

There are many player-written guides, but most of them have to do with dungeons or specific classes as of right now. Maybe we can run a contest for guide creation just to pad out the resources in an accessible place?

Welcome back to MapleStory 2!
    TassyWantSumCandy
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,755
    edited 12:55PM June 4, 2019
    It depends, have you bothered to unlock the accessory slots? If no do so, you really want to get yourself a full set of level 10 gems for all chars you want to play. You also get a full set of level 60 epic gear from those rank up boxes so play striker if you want. But remember: get yourself some accessories, the level 60 HDs are full of HP sponges. Also, you can buy accesories from the black market now and getting the new skills really makes a difference (a group of level 70 chars only EQed with the gear fom the new level 60 boxes can kill Balrog in ~1 min). Make sure to join a WB train in order to level up and finish the first chapter of the rank update quest for additional skill points.
    CMKyrios
  • KrausbartKrausbart
    Thanks for the answers!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a new guild for I am quite the casual player. While I had some good experiences with interacting with other people I mostly remember the bad stuff. People insulting me and telling me to uninstall because my +12 weapon had no piercing and things like that. How was I supposed to know that and why were these random stats so insanely important anyway?

And then we have IllIIl's advice. While I appreciate the tips it actually makes me want to stop trying to play again. I don't even now what "WB train" or "EQed" means. In addition I never bothered with accessory slots or gems and I never understood how important they were. Wasn't there also something about pets which became important all of a sudden?

I remember people complaining to me how my cute Pumpky pet was useless so I got a slime instead which I never really liked.

Maybe I have asked the wrong questions. I know this game was basically advertised as a casual MMO but not once did it feel casual. All the other casuals I knew left at one point and all I had left were people telling me to get accuarcy on my accessories all of a sudden or I would get lower priority for hard dungeon guild parties then even their alts.

So is this game actually for casuals or have I been just a bit unlucky with people?

I just wanted to play the game, have a bit of fun and have cool-looking characters.

On a side note: the new level 60 armors make my characters look really like a mix between a cosplayer and a stripper. Can I somehow use my old armor set as an outfit?

Just take a look:
    I7gRmXS.jpg
  • CMKyriosCMKyrios
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,435
    Administrator
    Krausbart wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a new guild for I am quite the casual player. While I had some good experiences with interacting with other people I mostly remember the bad stuff. People insulting me and telling me to uninstall because my +12 weapon had no piercing and things like that. How was I supposed to know that and why were these random stats so insanely important anyway?

And then we have IllIIl's advice. While I appreciate the tips it actually makes me want to stop trying to play again. I don't even now what "WB train" or "EQed" means. In addition I never bothered with accessory slots or gems and I never understood how important they were. Wasn't there also something about pets which became important all of a sudden?

I remember people complaining to me how my cute Pumpky pet was useless so I got a slime instead which I never really liked.

Maybe I have asked the wrong questions. I know this game was basically advertised as a casual MMO but not once did it feel casual. All the other casuals I knew left at one point and all I had left were people telling me to get accuarcy on my accessories all of a sudden or I would get lower priority for hard dungeon guild parties then even their alts.

So is this game actually for casuals or have I been just a bit unlucky with people?

I just wanted to play the game, have a bit of fun and have cool-looking characters.

On a side note: the new level 60 armors make my characters look really like a mix between a cosplayer and a stripper. Can I somehow use my old armor set as an outfit?

Just take a look:
    I7gRmXS.jpg

We had a festival celebrating the MapleStory franchise not that long ago. While there, we had the Director of our development team give a small speech, and he discussed that the game is deceptively not as casual as the game leads people on to think it is. While cute and fun, it can be massively unforgiving to players who don't understand it's nuances, especially when it comes to gearing and stats and everything. This is a big reason why I advocate finding a consistent group of people to play with, because there are players out there that won't be so kind upon inspecting your equipment. That being said, there are friendly players out there too. I see them talking all the time in places like on our Discord server.

WB train refers to world bosses, which require minimal contribution to gain a lot of EXP and item rewards (you merely have to tap the boss). Players fight them in droves every hour since they're something that can be grinded as much as you want.

Pets are quite strong yes, and contribute quite a lot to player power. We've made epic (purple) pets fathoms of times easier to obtain, whether from catching your own or dropping it in a raid (which has a respectably high drop rate). If you don't like the look of a pet, there is a cash shop item to transmog the pet if you really wanted to (you could use the Pumpky pet then, and it's offer the stats of the other pet).

I believe the Glamour Forge, an item that extracts appearances of an equipment to turn it into a costume, could be used on the set you liked before, but to Glamour Forge that many items would potentially be expensive. Maybe there's a different outfit you'd prefer?
    Krausbart
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    edited 3:47PM June 4, 2019
    I don't even now what "WB train" or "EQed" means.

WB train: short for World Boss train: a group of players farming world bosses

EQed: short for equipped

In addition I never bothered with accessory slots or gems and I never understood how important they were.

Well accessories can get you a ~10% base damage increase per item from the bonus attributes alone and you can equip 5 of them. The armor can get you another 16-20% damage vs. boss enemies. The gemstones can almost double your damage on top of it. Luckily Nexon removed the RNG involved in both unlocking the sockets and acquiring / upgrading the gemstones but getting the right bonus attributes for the level 60 gear is still a pain. Which is why it's so important to get at least your accessories done before you enter the new level 60 dungeons and I really hope you still have the accessory fragments from your previous HD runs because in order to unlock all three slots you need 416 fragments per item.

CMKyrios said "you get a intermediary set of equipment that equals out to 9300 gear score for free. It's a foot-in-the-door step to start the rest of your journey with everyone else" but believe me if you try to join one of the new level 60 HDs with just the gear from the level up box you get kicked out of the door right away unless you're a priest.

Sounds like a mixture of both, I've never seen anyone complaining about someone "having the wrong pet" but there are some scumbags out there. You shouldn't have any problem joining level 50 HDs now but don't join the level 60 HDs úntill you have an attack score of at least 300000 unless you want torture yourself or some of the more advanced players offer free runs.

Just take a look:
    I7gRmXS.jpg

Yes, you need to buy up style crates from the meret market (you can buy merets with mesos or better the other players can buy your mesos with their merets) and dismantle the outfit items until you have 35 style coins. Then you can go to the style coin shop and buy 5 Glamour Anvils which you can use to create an cosmetic version of the level 50 epic gear.
    Krausbart
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,430
    Hi, i run a casual guild in NAE and trust me when i say ignore people like that. The majority of the content is possible to clear without min-maxing equipment. There's actually a lot for people to do outside of raid content and gearing, but this game is the sequel to one of the grindiest mmos of all time, so it primarily draws that kind of player.

Take your time to do the Maple Guide quests, learn/be reminded of what features exist. Its possible to play the game casually, but dungeoning is full of people who are very obsessed with time efficiency,dealing with this can be difficult for a new player. Focus on making friends and you'll find some social players who are more interested in having a pleasant dungeon experience rather than a fast one. Due to the nature of the game, you can't get a casual dungeon experience via pick up and play, you have to interact and find people of a similar mindset and play with them.

This is actually a pretty good general guide to the dungeon portion thats pretty well formatted. However i will agree the game does a poor job of onboarding players to more advanced mechanics. Hence the frustration/gap in skill/gearing. Overall though... take your time and explore until you get comfortable. If you see parties that say they're open to new players, guilds that are openly casual, join them. It will help a lot. Some may explain things in a way thats easier for you to catch on and enjoy the game.

KrausbartCMKyrios
  • KrausbartKrausbart
    I can see now that there are some solutions to some of the issues I had. And as far as I can tell this game has improved over the time I was gone.

So I've decided to just go back in and experience the game again. There is only so much I can tell from just looking at the forums and the reddit after all.

Well... I mean as soon as the weekend arrives of course. :-)

Thanks everyone for helping me out here!
    CMKyrios
  • PinkFoxxyPinkFoxxy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,090
    IllIIl wrote: »
    to buy up style crates from the meret market (you can buy merets with mesos or better the other players can buy your mesos with their merets) and dismantle the outfit items until you have 35 style coins. Then you can go to the style coin shop and buy 5 Glamour Anvils which you can use to create an cosmetic version of the level 50 epic gear.
    how do i buy merets with mesos?
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    edited 4:56PM June 4, 2019
    PinkFoxxy wrote: »
    to buy up style crates from the meret market (you can buy merets with mesos or better the other players can buy your mesos with their merets) and dismantle the outfit items until you have 35 style coins. Then you can go to the style coin shop and buy 5 Glamour Anvils which you can use to create an cosmetic version of the level 50 epic gear.
    how do i buy merets with mesos?
    or better the other players can buy your mesos with their merets
  • SylqtSylqt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,305
    Hey krausbart!

I run a casual/social guild on the EU server and just reaching a helping hand out in case you want someone to help you learn the basics of the revamped game before stepping into the raiding scene. We have helped loooads of players go from beginner to raider, although we don't actively raid in the guild ourselves. We have had so many new players return/start the game now awakening is here that it's crazy how many people need a bit of a push in the right direction, I'm sure the game seems like a complex puzzle atm. Once you start getting the hang of it, stuff kind of slides into place.

If you'd just like to meet a few nice people to hang out with and do the new dungeons, or just get a bearing on wtf all the new stuff is in the game (honestly, it's so overwhelming for so many beginning players) feel free to add me in game, name is the same as my forum name.

Here are two really useful (if slightly more advanced) guides that I have been recommending to my returning guildies, worth a read!
    Complete gearing guide by FireArchMage & Jaeh's Awakening Dungeon/Raid Compilation

Good luck, and the most important thing, don't worry about rushing to catch up with the super geared. Enjoy the process and make friends to do the content with at your own pace, that's probably the best advice I can give for ms2 <3