During the October event period, the Escaped Moon Bunny world boss spawns at the following times:

NA West: 02:30 AM - 05:30 AM UTC
NA East: 11:30 PM - 02:30 AM UTC
South America: 10:30 PM - 01:30 AM UTC
Europe: 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM UTC
Oceania: 08:30 AM – 11:30 AM UTC

What's up with the low population?

Comments

• NahoNaho
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,850
    Ohmygod wrote: »
    Iink wrote: »
    3.6k peak users today, holy **** is this game dead lol.

I'm scared to know how small the real population is when subtracting the bots.

Apparently 10k bots are banned a week. Assuming they're banning a bot per minute, that might be true. If bots/gold buyers are still out and about, then that means half are bots because there's only 3k "players" and 10k / 7 = 1400ish.

I didn't know bot were using steam Oo ! Also that's 3k players added to the X players on nexon launcher (both were in total around 75k 2-3weeks ago)
  • supermikysupermiky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Maple Guide
    Can we talk about how this game is in maintenance right now?
  • IinkIink
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    How is the population doing now? I want to play again but I'm scared it'll be a ghost town
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,525
    You can see Steam population here https://steamcharts.com/app/560380

Recent updates helped slow down the bleeding but it's still pretty bad
    Knieneee
  • PeepPeep
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,025
    It's relatively stable atm but because there's no new content yet most people are playing very casual and playing other games on the side. I expect a decent jump in population when new content arrives.
    Aruraune
  • supermikysupermiky
    Maple Guide
    Peep wrote: »
    It's relatively stable atm but because there's no new content yet most people are playing very casual and playing other games on the side. I expect a decent jump in population when new content arrives.

i'm expecting population to return to original 20-30k.....I know that it is so much to expect but this game was very anticipated...
  • XenociderOmegaXenociderOmega
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,780
    The game is a mmo with 2 days worth of content
  • ÄrtÄrt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,380
    The game is a mmo with 2 days worth of content

Don't worry, they are fixing it by making one big part of it (gemstones) completable on first day of new update. So there will be 1 day of content left.
  • BuuuuuutwhYBuuuuuutwhY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 920
    edited 5:52AM April 11, 2019
    I quit months ago, not even sure exactly how long its been. I was the type of player that did my dailies every day as to not "fall behind". Belonged to a hardcore guild in which we competed for server firsts. I was in the first 4 man Cpap clear in NA.

From the project new leaf changes I've been reading, the game is crawling in the right direction. It's just too little too late for players like myself. We've moved on. I play FFXIV now. The fact that FFXIV release in 2013 is irrelevant because their progression system isn't based on RNG. A new player can be caught up to the old in every way in under a month. New players will never catch up in any form of progression in MS2.

FFXIV flopped on release too but they went so far as to shut down the servers so they could overhaul the game. After re-releasing in 2013, it's now estimated to be the 3rd most populated MMO in NA next to WoW and OSRS https://mmo-population.com/#. MS2 may never see as little as a 64 bit client. It took Nexon 4 months just to acknowledge that their base is upset and changes need to be made. Its taken them half a year just to tweak RNG values and meso sink costs.

To sum it up, MS2's heavily RNG gated progression design discourages new and old players from playing. Nexon takes too long to make changes and the changes made are too little. Simply put, it's a bad game.
  • XenociderOmegaXenociderOmega
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,780
    I quit months ago, not even sure exactly how long its been. I was the type of player that did my dailies every day as to not "fall behind". Belonged to a hardcore guild in which we competed for server firsts. I was in the first 4 man Cpap clear in NA.

From the project new leaf changes I've been reading, the game is crawling in the right direction. It's just too little too late for players like myself. We've moved on.

All the changes they're making should have been done three months ago instead of waiting for almost everyone to quit
    BuuuuuutwhY
  • GarlicBreadGarlicBread
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,035
    Iink wrote: »
    How is the population doing now? I want to play again but I'm scared it'll be a ghost town

if you in na east I can tell you right now, it's not a ghost town.
  • supermikysupermiky
    Maple Guide
    edited 4:34AM April 12, 2019

From the project new leaf changes I've been reading, the game is crawling in the right direction. It's just too little too late for players like myself. We've moved on. I play FFXIV now. The fact that FFXIV release in 2013 is irrelevant because their progression system isn't based on RNG. A new player can be caught up to the old in every way in under a month. New players will never catch up in any form of progression in MS2.

FFXIV flopped on release too but they went so far as to shut down the servers so they could overhaul the game. After re-releasing in 2013, it's now estimated to be the 3rd most populated MMO in NA next to WoW and OSRS https://mmo-population.com/#. MS2 may never see as little as a 64 bit client. It took Nexon 4 months just to acknowledge that their base is upset and changes need to be made. Its taken them half a year just to tweak RNG values and meso sink costs.

To sum it up, MS2's heavily RNG gated progression design discourages new and old players from playing. Nexon takes too long to make changes and the changes made are too little. Simply put, it's a bad game.

So despite the new updates, you still insist that you won't play this game? If you don't want to play, then there's no need to comment it like that, just leave instead of making a comment, it'll only make it worse.

But in all seriousness,. Why can't you at least try this game again ONCE MORE? Maybe not immediately but come Summer?
  • PeepPeep
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,025
    edited 10:15AM April 12, 2019
    I've never understood why people keep saying "too little too late". Was it too little too late when FF14 completely flopped and had to undergo a complete overhaul? There were people subbing and continuing to support the game for months through the hard times because they were hopeful it would succeed. Why can't people do the same here?

You have Nexon who is actually listening to player feedback very carefully and implementing player suggestions. It's something you really don't see in many MMOs. Yes there are a handful of things that probably should have happened earlier but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

They seem to be slowly crafting this MMOs progression system so it's similar to FF14 which is a really good thing. I think once more content is added and adjusted for our version this game will be on the right track to success. People need to be willing to stick around and give Nexon a chance though. You have to remember also they've taken a heavy p2w game with crazy amounts of rng and slowly adjusting all that for our version.

Maybe people are just bitter from MS1 and past Nexon games.
    LuminaEdgeNaho
  • GarlicBreadGarlicBread
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,035
    Peep wrote: »
    I've never understood why people keep saying "too little too late". Was it too little too late when FF14 completely flopped and had to undergo a complete overhaul? There were people subbing and continuing to support the game for months through the hard times because they were hopeful it would succeed. Why can't people do the same here?

You have Nexon who is actually listening to player feedback very carefully and implementing player suggestions. It's something you really don't see in many MMOs. Yes there are a handful of things that probably should have happened earlier but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

They seem to be slowly crafting this MMOs progression system so it's similar to FF14 which is a really good thing. I think once more content is added and adjusted for our version this game will be on the right track to success. People need to be willing to stick around and give Nexon a chance though. You have to remember also they've taken a heavy p2w game with crazy amounts of rng and slowly adjusting all that for our version.

Maybe people are just bitter from MS1 and past Nexon games.

yeah and theres many battle royales out there but all of them fail at grabbing a huge player base but one. point is not every game will be the same with same results. thats fx14 or w.e this is ms2 completely different games. can't expect same results.
  • ScarffyScarffy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    The game is definitely going in the right direction. I really commend the ms2 team for really listening to feedback and doing their best to slowly fix the game.

I believe because they are so focused on doing just that, there has basically been no new content for months (sorry I have to get opinionated here, infernog is NOT a new content patch if 99.5% of the players arent even capable of attempting it). You can’t blame the players for moving on, we’re basically going through the same motions as a closed beta. The players don’t want to come back when it’s still a work-in-progress.

How I see it, most players have already quit to the point where the only thing that will remotely draw them back is a huge revamp of the game’s core progression system or a massively impressive content update. Unfortunately anything less, I don’t think will interest the majority of people that have already moved onto other games with a bitter taste of ms2.
  • HersikHersik
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 570
    edited 12:20AM April 13, 2019
    Scarffy wrote: »
    The game is definitely going in the right direction. I really commend the ms2 team for really listening to feedback and doing their best to slowly fix the game.

How I see it, most players have already quit to the point where the only thing that will remotely draw them back is a huge revamp of the game’s core progression system or a massively impressive content update. Unfortunately anything less, I don’t think will interest the majority of people that have already moved onto other games with a bitter taste of ms2.

Yea i think same thing.. this game if it gets worse need some big revamp.. It isn't something unique at least in past it wasn't, now it you don't see it too much, but main problem about this idea is that current active "hardcore players" or "donators" will never get trough this idea and they would probably on 90% chance left game because they would be irritated about lost of all things which they got for now...

But i support this idea too because it doesn't matter how you will slowly or hard fix all unfinished or broken things it will helps only newcoming players which haven't made opinion about this game and unfortunetly it will only small injection to game because "long endgaming players" will ruins these fixes from otherside. That's how it ussually works...

I know that this post and opinion is pessimistic (and you are right i'm bit of pessimist and thanks to it you can get somehow view on things which can save things sometimes.. ) but maybe should ppl thinks about this option more if they really want to be this game successful for all.. Ofc first we need as one group figure out how support "devs and team" to get this game right path before we would get big revamp

PS
    Sorry for my english ^^
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    Listening to players' suggestions as of now is one of the worst things they can ever do.
  • HersikHersik
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 570
    Bulbasaur wrote: »
    Listening to players' suggestions as of now is one of the worst things they can ever do.

Fair enough in some aspects but pls nextime at least write sometime which can help and not just send pointless post...
    Nobody said that you should pick every things that players say in forum ofc that "team" will look on these, think about, change someting and use or just drop that..
    Aruraune
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    edited 9:58PM April 14, 2019
    Hersik wrote: »
    Bulbasaur wrote: »

Fair enough in some aspects but pls nextime at least write sometime which can help and not just send pointless post...
    Nobody said that you should pick every things that players say in forum ofc that "team" will look on these, think about, change someting and use or just drop that..

Only now listening to feedback from players on how to 'fix' this game is a huge time waster.

First, because the ~90% of players who quit in the first few months likely have different preferences for a game compared to the players remaining. The players remaining obviously like the game enough to continue playing it and thus their views on what the 'issues' are likely does not align with the views of the majority that quit early on. Second, because the opinions of most players still actively playing, on the issues, is much narrower in scope compared to players who quit early on. Players who continue to play will likely list an issue or two such as RNG, however the issues noted, if voiced by the players who quit, is likely much more diverse and with more depth.

The only course of action I can agree on is for Nexon to spend some time researching the MMORPG market, identifying the elements that are commonly popular in successful MMORPGs, and rebuilding the game from scratch to incorporate more of these elements (this isn't a suggestion on what to change in the game, but more on suggesting to Nexon to do their own research).
    LuminaEdge
  • ScarffyScarffy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    [/quote]Only now listening to feedback from players on how to 'fix' this game is a huge time waster.

First, because the ~90% of players who quit in the first few months likely have different preferences for a game compared to the players remaining. The players remaining obviously like the game enough to continue playing it and thus their views on what the 'issues' are likely does not align with the views of the majority that quit early on. Second, because the opinions of most players still actively playing, on the issues, is much narrower in scope compared to players who quit early on. Players who continue to play will likely list an issue or two such as RNG, however the issues noted, if voiced by the players who quit, is likely much more diverse and with more depth.

The only course of action I can agree on is for Nexon to spend some time researching the MMORPG market, identifying the elements that are commonly popular in successful MMORPGs, and rebuilding the game from scratch to incorporate more of these elements (this isn't a suggestion on what to change in the game, but more on suggesting to Nexon to do their own research).[/quote]

I agree that over 90% over the original playerbase is gone - which is very sad. However they can only work based on what feedback they have, because that is a justifiable and reasonable approach. While I agree that MS2 will need some sort of huge overhaul (it will almost need to be as if they were launching ms3) because right now many who quit probably aren't interested in coming back to the same systems made easier.

That being said, it's not like there is one secret sauce to MMOs. Each MMO has to find out what it's selling, and how to sell it better than anyone else. Right now, there is plenty of wasted content on ms2 such as all the maps, all the 1-50 dungeons, etc. All MS2 has to really offer right now is raids and treadmill progression, which a dozen games out there do multiple hundred times better than ms2.