Learn everything about the Skilled Ally update this month from the patch notes!

>> http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/51769/skilled-ally-update-v15

"Future Feedback Initiative" by Jungsoo Lee

Comments

• SpiralofvertigoSpiralofvertigo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,150
    The rush to end game ruined the whole experience for me; I love it when you take time to earn rewards and in the global version everyone felt pushed to basically speed run the story.

I also enjoy farming mobs; having fun equipment drops or other interesting items drop from regular enemies keeps me playing MMOs.

As it is now; I unfortunately have zero interest in coming back.
    LicoriceCXXPriestXX44
  • CaptrixCaptrix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 995
    Hey all,

Give me five things you'd change (if you could) about Maplestory 2, and why it is important to you.
    I'd like to know.

1. RNG or Time Gate: Pick one and roll with it. Not both. The easiest to remove of the two would be the time gate.
    2. Fair fight: Keep for say world bosses but remove everywhere else. Getting better gear and getting stronger is a core feeling of progression.
    3. Leveling: Slow the rate at which we level up. You barely explore the world map unless you are doing mindless dailies.
    4. Dead Bonus Attributes: Remove attributes that don't really do anything. i.e. Fire resist/Ice resist/Shadow resist = magic resist instead.
    5. World Content: We have a huge map. As vast as an ocean with the depth of a mud puddle. Give us reasons to travel the world outside of just daily/weekly junk quests.

These are my 5 things I feel like could be changed to improve the experience of the player in MS2. Are there other things that fall under a similar category that needs works, yes. Like RNG has many elements under it that need improvement like accessory sockets for example. Did I miss some things that are higher on someone else's list of changes? Of course, everyone in the community has ideas for things that would improve the overall experience and holds different changes to different levels of necessity.
  • StellaeoraStellaeora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,450
    Hey all,

Give me five things you'd change (if you could) about Maplestory 2, and why it is important to you.
    I'd like to know.

1. Spread enchantment gains from +0 through +15 evenly across the enchantments instead of concentrating them on the upper end. Upgrading your weapon is the single greatest DPS increase you can get in this entire game and so much RNG pain and suffering could be alleviated just by making upgrades incremental instead of exponential.
    2. The damage formula needs to change. Powercreep in this game is way higher than it should be and screw all the people who just want to see big numbers and can't see past their seemingly primal need to flex their strength on everything for no reason. Make Piercing stat actually do what it's listed as doing, lower the stupidly high Bonus Attack multiplier on Legendary weapons, make gains on stat gems tangential instead of exponential like offense gems.
    3. Raise the level cap. Too many things in the game that aren't even remotely rewarding because LUL EXP TRASH. Map explorations being example numero uno for this.
    4. Make trophies more rewarding. You get a skill point at 250 and then another at 500 -- keep giving another skill point every 250 trophies.
    5. Make Shadow World more difficult and more rewarding. Dramatically increase mob strength and triple or quadruple the chest rewards. Now we get alternate progression for gemstones which fixes a major pressure point of the game's RNG, gems.
  • ShuLaceShuLace
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    Ban the rest of the dead playerbase, oh and leave the bots like usual. Problem solved.
  • CRonaldo7CRonaldo7
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 210
    NXACuddles wrote: »
    Dear Maplers,

Now that we’ve finished releasing Skybound Expansion’s Phase 2, it’s time to focus on changes we can make in the new year! I would like to discuss a few important topics, including a new feedback initiative and our communication plan going forward.

It has been about a month and a half since we announced our plan to focus on making improvements to the game’s overall progression. We reviewed (and are still reviewing) community feedback from all channels, and have been discussing many different changes.

Most of these systems are interwoven, and we are continuing to perform an extensive review of how any changes would impact overall gameplay balance. We previously did not disclose details because we wanted to mitigate speculation or potential misunderstanding as a result of sharing only a few high-level concepts. The MapleStory 2 team has agreed to share the general schedule of the plan, along with the systems we are reviewing in order to provide clarity on the kinds of changes you can expect. Once we have more details for each topic, we are going to share in-depth info with you through a new outreach program.

Program Overview

We will soon be kicking off a 3-month project where we actively work with the MapleStory 2 community to gather feedback as we make changes to the major pain points of the game. Below are the phases for feedback gathering:
    1. We will share with you full details of our proposed solution to an issue and why we believe that solution is the most viable one available.
    2. At that time, we will gather your feedback regarding the proposed solution to see if there are any further adjustments to include with the update.
    3. We will share the final decision after all feedback from the community has been reviewed, prior to the changes being released.
    4. We will update the game with the solution that’s been reviewed by the community.
    5. Rinse and repeat!

As a part of this initiative, we are planning to open up a dedicated microsite in February where the proposed solutions will be revealed and discussed. Please keep an eye on our social channels for a link once it’s live.

What is Being Reviewed and Discussed

The goal of the project is to improve the overall ecosystem of MapleStory 2, including progression and the in-game economy (both mesos and items). We want to ensure that players are seeing enough progress when investing time into the game, while also ensuring that players are having fun. We hope to achieve both by making a number improvements of varying scope to the game.

The following are some of the bigger topics we will be reviewing. Details for these topics and how they will be adjusted will be shared in the near future:
    • Enchanting Improvements
    • Gemstone Upgrade Improvements
    • Socket Opening System Improvements
    • Addressing Meso Economy by
      • Adjusting Meso Sinks
      • Introducing Meso Market (with adjustments from other services)
      • Introducing Gear Trade (with restrictions)
    • Epic Pets Improvements
    • Gemstone Related Resource Gathering Process Improvements
    • And more

We will provide the community with more details regarding these changes soon, so for now we ask that you hang tight and try not to jump to conclusions yet.

We are cautious about sharing some of these early plans as we know that players have many different ideas about how to address each topic. We ask the community to respect the development studio and let the studio lead the discussion for each topic, and we hope that this allows us to reach the best resolution for the game.

We are aware that one of the major topics of player concern regards the addition of more guaranteed methods to obtain bonus stats. However we want to make clear that with the above changes we will be discussing with the community, we strongly believe that the random aspects of bonus stats should stay in the game as part of gear progression. This won’t be discussed or changed in the future.

Please note that just because a topic is not currently on the list to review, does not mean that it may never be reviewed in the future. We know there are a handful of other items not included here that are also important to the community, and we do hear your concerns. The topics we are mentioning here today are those that we can confidently reveal as areas we plan to address.

Timeline

This is a 3-month project because all of the topics we are going to discuss can significantly impact the game progression. We want to take the time to thoroughly review and QA each system before any changes get applied to the live servers. This ensures that we hit the marks we’re aiming for, as well as preventing multiple changes from interacting with each other in unexpected ways.

Here is how the timeline looks currently:
    • Early to Mid February: Detailed discussion begins about a few of the topics from the list.
    • End of February or Early March: The first update occurs based on the feedback from February. This update is currently planned to focus on the Gemstone Resource Gathering Process, Meso Economy and more.
    • Early March: Discussion starts for the topics which require a more thorough review, including Enchanting, Gemstone Upgrade, Socket Opening, and Epic Pets. These discussions will take more time because of all the system details.
    • Mid to End of April: The next update occurs based on the feedback from early March. Players will have time to test out and experiment with the new progression, including all the changes from the feedback initiative before our next major expansion comes out.
    • May: Host community events (either online or offline) to discuss the content coming in the next major expansion and the feedback received.
    • End of May or Early June: The next update occurs, coinciding with the release of a new major expansion.

Please note that all schedules are subject to change, based on future discussions, development schedules and results.

While we are going through the feedback process, we will continue to run events and release other quality-of-life improvements into the game.

The MapleStory 2 team truly cares about the game and we are moving as fast as we can to make meaningful changes. As we stated last year, we want to take the time to fully review the ecosystem of the game. We are committed to making great changes that affect the entire game, rather than releasing hotfixes to one feature that may negatively impact a different feature.

We have been keeping a weekly cadence of producer blogs to provide regular updates to the community. However, starting with this one, we are going to transition to producer blogs released whenever we have topics to share or discuss in detail with the community. This doesn’t mean we are reducing overall communication, since we will have many topics to discuss moving forward with this project.

We are very excited to initiate this new project with the MapleStory 2 community! Please stay tuned for when we share the first discussion topics soon. Your continued constructive feedback will be instrumental in making this project a success. Together we will review and pursue the best solution for the game.

Sincerely,

Jungsoo Lee
    On behalf of the entire Nexon Team and MapleStory 2 Studio

Can u fix the issue that google account cannot log on the Nexon Launcher. Get no respond for 4 days
  • MommaMakoMommaMako
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,275
    Frigging remove Fair Fight!
  • AlchemiiAlchemii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,210
    edited 2:54PM January 20, 2019
    Hey all,

I'd like to know.

1) Remove Fair Fight. Maybe keep it for world bosses, but remove it everywhere else. This includes the Fortress Rumble.
    2) Release Striker. I've stated it multiple times, this idea of holding content that was released in KR from a global release is an idiotic practice that the rest of the industry has long since abandoned. It does nothing, but upset your player base. Seeing content they would like to partake in, only to get told it could take months to years to come to them, if at all.
    3) The toad's toolkit was a smart move, they should be kept around. The 60 dungeons a week was not. 30 dungeons with double drop, and toad's toolkit would be the best move. Though make it so toolkits aren't affected by double drop.
    4) More world content. Some of the areas are amazingly designed, and yet there's no reason to go there. Some of these areas seem to have something going on, but there's no connected story for the player to follow. Just give us more content, explain why it is the way it is.
    5) Either remove time gates, or increase the odds in rng. Notice I'm not saying to remove rng all together. This would call for a complete remake of the game to accomplish, but rng does have a place in all MMOs weather it has time gating or not. My recommendation isn't to remove the RNG, but rather increase the chances of success. This would (in theory) only call for minor tweaks. It's pretty clear these rng numbers were designed for a horrible cash grab system, and since those were removed from the Global version, you'd need to adjust the rng to match those things not being there. Sadly, it doesn't seem like the rng was adjusted to compensate for the lack of cash shop items to make up for them.

**Bonus Sixth**
    6) Slow down leveling, like drastically. If I power level a new character, speeding through the story and all that. It should still take me at least 12+ hours to get to 50 or 60. It should not take 6 hours.

Edit:
    You know what here's some more stuff.
    -Fix the latency issues causing some bosses to still hit the player even if they aren't in the effect and shouldn't take the damage.
    -Fix the latency issues for controller users.
    -Fix the memory leaks.
    -Fix the Full Screen mode so users can actually go into true Full Screen in game.
    -On the note of Full Screen, fix true Full Screen so that it won't crash if you tab out.
    -Fix the lag issue experienced by people not in true Full Screen. These aren't even server lag issues, it's problem in the games code itself and how it interacts with the hardware.

These are all things that should have been dealt with before the game was even launched, yet here we are.
    DefraglifeAppleGamerMiehMarkx
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,565
    I agree I suggest releasing striker sooner rather than later. Also, I was kinda bummed about the removal of toad toolkits as I was starting farming them for my striker to be. Now I'm kinda screwed and wasted so much time on all my characters. :(
  • MorganCouvetMorganCouvet
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 855
    During peak hours you can get into Tria on channel 1. That tells you all you need to know about how many people play now. I would never bother to upgrade or progress farther until the RNG is fixed. You believe in it so much that is is blinding you to the fact the game is dying, and it's not a slow bleed. I will continue to play but I can't justify putting any more RL money into it.
  • ShadowsBeneaShadowsBenea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,880
    edited 11:43PM January 20, 2019
    Clericeru wrote: »
    Goodbye MS2.

Since this is my last post here, I'd like to take the time to thank those people who made my time worthwhile in this unworthy game. Those of you who did right when you didn't have too. Those of you who started or jumped into any parties to help new players. Those of you who held boss monsters on channels so everyone else could get extra mesos. Those of you who held song contests in your homes. Those of you who kept doing FD even after your priest had died too many times and couldn't come back. I could go on and on, but this is for those of you who gave without asking for anything in return.

To those people, thank you.

I tried my hardest to hold strong but I noticed a lack of oomph behind the development team, the GM's who dealt with ticket's were far too slow in my opinion as well as loads of others I have talked to about it. I reported countless people only to see them still on day in and day out so I just quit (and they were obviously botting with video evidence). If you aren't going to take care of your game or hire people to do so I will find a company that takes pride in being a gaming company again.. I wanted to make this my new home for years.. to bad my vision for what this was gonna be was tainted by just poor management skills when that's something they looked for in the Mods. This may ruin my future ability to apply as a moderator but I had to voice my opinion. Take care all!

As mean spirited as this is, I think Nexon needs a reality check and this gaming failing this quick may be it..
  • The Blue CorsairThe Blue Corsair
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,725
    edited 3:36AM January 22, 2019
    This will be a long post, so bare with me! I will spend the time to read through and respond to all replies and subsequently each of your listed things you'd personally change. Thank you all for responding and for the passion behind the reasons. I will respond to more as I can (going to be sleeping shortly after this message). Note, my responses are not of any official manner.

@paipanlover

1. I played on KMS2 right at release till I reach lvl 50 and I still like it more than this 'new' version. Start as beginner on maple island.

When Maplestory 2 was first released, I was quick to get on during its initial launch. I experienced those first few day maintenances and crashes, I remember and enjoyed the fun of learning how to traverse new PQs judging what UI did based off instincts from the original Maplestory.

While I love a well-crafted story and cutscenes, there are times where I also enjoy consistency. I enjoyed the notion of explorers all starting at the same spot regardless of class so that you'd see a swarm of players dropping into the very first map. I loved traversing the maps and seeing my fellow newbs, occasionally the one that grabbed all their extra NX and was already floating off the ground in a bubble with sparkles. So it was natural for me to enjoy this about KMS2 on my characters. I think that had a lot of positives on a socializing level.

Players in the west enjoy a lot of focus on the storyline and the lore of characters, which is what helps us find familiarity and connection with the wonderful pixels standing right in front of us on our screen. While that doesn't include everyone (I tend to be 50/50 on it, usually tending to skip through long dialogs), this is something that did take Nexon's team a lot of time to design individual stories for each character class, as well as all of the art, scripting, and Mushroom plushies thrown back and forth at each other. When it was added to the game, that was the collective work of several, several individuals.

There can be compromises. If this is a frequently requested thing and enough players (we have to be fair and let things go down to actual votes and percentages), then I'm sure it's fair to ask for changes to be made to either integrate some parts of Maple Island and still keep a branching character storyline? (All players start in the same map, but then after completing the Maple Island tasks must talk to the Job Advancement leaders in a map and determine which they feel fits them best, THEN the branched storyline continues with their "awakening". I think that's a fair compromise to the artists that worked on those pathways and to the community who misses that socialization among newbs.

2. Dont rush to lvl 50 by the main quest line. It took me about 1 month on kms2 to reach lvl 50. Felt good.

I agree with this. I think EXP gain is a LOT faster than it was originally in KMS. With enough free-time, it's possible to reach Level 50 very quickly and it feels like many aspects of the game are skipped over or otherwise completely unused as compared to my experiences in KMS2 as well. On my first KMS2 character, by the time I reached Level 50, I had visited significantly more maps around the world (even with the lack of air taxis) and it taught me to enjoy the time put into the game more. The Maplestory 2 maps are a work of art and there was time put into the overall flow and movement of each. Each map took an artist (or likely group of individuals) lots of time planning to ensure each worked well with others.

I think sometimes we hate to admit it, but it's the hardships we experience with a character on Maplestory that grow us. It's not always the triumphs as much as the "so close"'s we experience. While current Maplestory 2 players have experienced this ease of leveling, I don't think a slight reduction would cause too much damage to player trust and would allow for more buffer for the continuation of the game throughout the years.

3. Remove fair fight. I want to get stronger. STRONGER. I want to see and feel it. Everywhere!

This one is a seemingly popular one from the community. With that in mind, here's a good proposal.

1. Fair Fight removed in dungeons. We're all busy humans and the amount of time it takes to run all thirty (and soon originally sixty[ ? ]) dungeons a week takes a lot of time and while I'm pretty happy just playing Maplestory 2 all week, I know countless friends who try to fit in other online games into their schedule and sometimes struggle to because of MS2. I think there is definitely a valid point of online gaming to try to have the player's attention the longest, but I think there should be limits and it can actually be healthy to take breaks. It can make players feel fatigued from playing the same thing for so long, and that's no good!

2. Pay attention to metrics. I think it's a fear of all MMORPGs of power creep becoming an issue, and that was something that plagued MS after many years. When a certain percentage of the community has reached a certain average gear score, then it's time to release new content or new equipment that SLIGHTLY INCREASES damage or otherwise player experience. Enough to be excited, but not enough that those 404s become 1337s overnight.

3. Fears over players progressing too quickly? Fair. As players, we don't always need the latest and greatest new PQs or major content updates. You provide a free-to-play game, which means whatever you give us, we have to play with. If it's too costly or if there are concerns over having to create new content often to keep up with the player base reaching those average gear score thresholds, just go the Maplestory (1) route, release the same party quest that was Normal > Hard > Epic > etc, bump it up one notch, and then just make the mobs and scenarios a tad harder. Bam. New equipment set in the meanwhile, players are still happy.

4. Release 'user created dungeon' creator. Was teased in KMS2 3 years ago and even here. Still not here.

I agree. Maplestory 2 is already a transformative game because of how much you can do in it; housing, user-generated content/outfits, crafting systems, dynamic raids.. the list goes on. Maplestory 2 is also incredible as a sandbox.

If there are technical limitations preventing the Maplestory 2 team from launching this (or otherwise providing updates for it), I'd love to help brainstorm a good route to go to tackle that. I think it makes Maplestory 2 the best MMORPG as a game platform ever. No other MMORPG would offer so much customization and control over the game. Let's pivot to this and take a chance.

5. I want to get 95% of all equipments as a mob drop, not just from bosses. They should drop there more frequent.

I think it's fair for later level equipment to be strictly obtainable via bosses. As with Maplestory and many other MMORPGs, the accomplishment of beating a boss usually comes with a good reward, and it is common for it to take weeks to months to get the equip you need (with the best optimal stats). I think while it takes time, this is something that brings that "Ah hah!" moment when you finally get the equip or weapon you needed and can continue with your progression.

If more equips were made as mob drops, which mobs do you feel would be best suited? With concerns such as botting, what do you feel could be done to prevent abusing these easier to access locations?
  • AngelicaxoxoAngelicaxoxo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 680
    The rush to end game ruined the whole experience for me; I love it when you take time to earn rewards and in the global version everyone felt pushed to basically speed run the story.

I also enjoy farming mobs; having fun equipment drops or other interesting items drop from regular enemies keeps me playing MMOs.

As it is now; I unfortunately have zero interest in coming back.

Apparently, mobs in this game are very inefficient for killing. There are many videos out there that calculated how profitable killing mobs are, and they aren't. Sad. Nexon did this for who knows what, probably doing this to not have the mob killing botting problem MS1 had, but it backfired because killing mobs to some extent is fun and engaging for many players. As of right now, mobbing actually hurts you more, as you have to expend pots, and there is 0 incentive to do so. Just bad core design in general.

MS2 gameplay seems like a dungeon crawler with multiplayer than an MMORPG with such a lack of killing monsters and utilizing maps.
    ShadowsBeneaMieh
  • BaronLövatBaronLövat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,820
    MS2 gameplay seems like a dungeon crawler with multiplayer than an MMORPG with such a lack of killing monsters and utilizing maps.

You missed a part. It's a dungeon crawler with multiplayer, but caps the number of dungeons you can do. It's a dungeon crawler with built in net nanny that tells you when you've played enough.
  • Anura_Anura_
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,155
    Apparently, mobs in this game are very inefficient for killing. There are many videos out there that calculated how profitable killing mobs are, and they aren't. Sad. Nexon did this for who knows what, probably doing this to not have the mob killing botting problem MS1 had, but it backfired because killing mobs to some extent is fun and engaging for many players. As of right now, mobbing actually hurts you more, as you have to expend pots, and there is 0 incentive to do so. Just bad core design in general.
    I disagree, I farm at Lion's Gate (never seen a bot there btw) and I have to use a life drain lapentier every 8 mins or so with auto-potion turned off. They only cost 1 blue star each, and I get blue stars faster than I can spend them. Save potions for when you don't have a priest in dungeons

Defraglife
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,565
    Anura_ wrote: »
    I've put over 600 hours into this game and there are some things I don't like - but I persevered and I got results.
    It's fine if you want to quit, just don't make a whiny drama queen exit speech. The silent majority who don't actually lose their when they don't get their way don't want to hear it. I'm fúcking sick and tired of all you angry little shits abusing the devs and making the game worse for everyone by clogging up the forums and chat channels with your incessant bitching. Everyone would be better off if you just left the game completely and went to play some stupid grinder game like league of legends where everyone else is just as toxic as you are.
    Stop pretending you're important and take your massive egos elsewhere. Just fúck off.

I agree the game is not dead it's so alive (still see a ton of players new and older veterans). This dead narrative started with the YouTube I quit videos and it's poisoned the game. There is no need to make a I quit forum post just quit quietly and move on if your that unhappy with the game. It's like if you got a console game for free you used to like but now you don't enjoy it. You would stop playing it and play something else not cry on the forums I quit the game is dead blah blah humbug. I'm in it for the long haul many forget the game is still young.Veteran MS1 player here since 2006.
    Anura_LicoriceC
  • facefacefaceface
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    Anura_ wrote: »
    I've put over 600 hours into this game and there are some things I don't like - but I persevered and I got results.
    It's fine if you want to quit, just don't make a whiny drama queen exit speech. The silent majority who don't actually lose their when they don't get their way don't want to hear it. I'm fúcking sick and tired of all you angry little shits abusing the devs and making the game worse for everyone by clogging up the forums and chat channels with your incessant bitching. Everyone would be better off if you just left the game completely and went to play some stupid grinder game like league of legends where everyone else is just as toxic as you are.
    Stop pretending you're important and take your massive egos elsewhere. Just fúck off.

well put. Ppl don't get that no1 is refusing changes, but when ur simply crying for the sake of crying nexon won't listen. Biggest example FF thread, literally the biggest crying thread w/o an ounce of constructive criticism. You can't simply ask for a change w/o solving the aftermath of removing such a system. And think ur all kewl when ur a blindfolded twerp
    Defraglife
  • BaronLövatBaronLövat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,820
    The dead game meme didn't start in MS2 and it's not unique to this game either, it's a popular meme among hype gamers and flavor of the month steam gamers, and the odd streamer fan boy who only plays a game because their favorite boyfriend was streaming it for clicks. Just sayin. But the meme damages every game it appears in, sometimes to such "success" the game closes. It's happened before, it'll happen again, maybe not to MS2, but mark my words.
    Anura_Defraglife