Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

What's up with the low population?

Comments

• KingTwistedKingTwisted
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 930
    3.6k peak users today, holy **** is this game dead lol.
    Iink
  • IinkIink
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    edited 8:23PM January 3, 2019
    PinkFoxxy wrote: »
    the mistake: SEPERATING NA EAST AND WEST

^
    This, the inability to have one united NA server was a colossal faliure.
  • IinkIink

I'm scared to know how small the real population is when subtracting the bots.
    Defraglife
  • Karma93Karma93
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    edited 1:55AM January 4, 2019
    Stellaeora wrote: »
    Ungodly wrote: »
    1. Nexon doesn't listen and they don't care. It almost feels like they want the game to fail.
    Come on, dude. Nexon's level of communication with the playerbase is unprecedented in any MMO. You can literally, right now, post a tweet to the goddamn General Manager of Nexon America and not only get it read but also have a decent chance of getting a personalized reply back.

Like, really? "Nexon doesn't listen" is a factually false statement that can be disproven in 30 seconds by looking at Jungsoo's Twitter.

It sounds like what you really want is for Nexon to make changes right away without considering the ramifications. Fact of the matter is, last time Nexon rushed decisions because "you need to do this because people are quitting nexon!!!" we got the dungeon cap raised like everyone was asking for. Now people complain that it's a chore, which is a roundabout way of them saying "we had no idea what we wanted and actually just wanted faster progression sry". I can link you to as many threads as you like that show people in this very forum demanding more dungeons every week so they could grind more.

People don't know what the hell they want. No doubt if Nexon removes Fair Fight (which seems to be a current hot topic) there'll be some regrets that surely nobody could have foreseen like an increased DPS gap in dungeons causing greater elitism and division of the community. But let's not bring that discussion here, it's unrelated.

Anyway OP, to address your original point. I suppose it's a matter of perspective. From my view, I 100% expected MapleStory 2 to be a total P2W crapfest where rerollers were sold for $2 of real money per roll and you could effectively buy your way to #1 DPS in a fashion that eclipsed F2P players by tenfold, but not without dropping several thousand dollars. That's how MapleStory 1 turned out, after all.

When MapleStory 2 came out and it turned out that they'd not only removed all the KMS2 P2W and also were actively listening and responding to the playerbase, it was basically a dream come true. From that perspective, I've already gotten my wishes granted and thus consider all the "major" issues that other people seem to have with the game as minor footnotes at best. Are there problems? Sure, it could be better. But the state of the game is already miles ahead of what I expected it to be and what many other MMOs currently reside at.

It also helps that I adopted the mindset of "there's no rush, I'll experience the content when I'm ready since it'll still be there when I get to it" and thus had no problems not getting my Moonlight Fortress and Clock Tower raid clears until the 3rd week after they were released. Whatever constraints people are feeling because of "falling behind the grind" exist only in their minds.

So I'm pretty good with the state of the game as it stands and am content to wait patiently to see what Nexon has in store for the future.

Just remember that what you read on the forums is only the people who felt vocal enough about it to make a post; selection bias at its finest. Most of your everyday players are reasonably fine with the way things are, or else they'd have quit by now.

I prefer a "P2W crapfest where rerollers were sold for $2 of real money" with tons of contents and events like ALL the ASIAN GAMES DO, instead of an empty, elitist, repetitive game.
    Nexon has already ruined Dragon Nest , that literally had TONS of servers all over the world ....when it comes to eu ...Jesus Christ what a management it gets!

I know that in CN /KR/JP the games "in general" are more focused on P2W aspect.... BUT at the same time the patches are really interesting for ALL , also there are many freebies/events to keep the population alive.

Speaking on Twitter instead of official channels, as this shitty forum, is a must for a dev!....It is like the Pope or Politicians that write on social media.....THAT'S NOT CORRECT.... all the players that are wasting HOURS writing Feedbacks and stuff, here, on the forum, and I have never seen a moderator or an Operator write something back...

Have you ever read some of those feedback? Or suggestions? DO IT!!....
    A lot of good players with exceptional mindset write every day something that is really close to a "GDD fix"....and they may even know what is a GDD!...
    As 3D artist working for video games companies, I have never seen such good feedback even before...Ignoring people with a 2good voice" is alwais a shame..

There are people here that are not opening the month just to take air...
    The problem here is that the community cooperation is split between who can actually CAN play this mess and who like thousands of players CAN NOT play because MS2 is really broken right now.

Cheers mates.

ah, I forgot 1 thing! If a game fails for new players, the game is dead =) And the death is for everybody, it is just slow to come xP.
    If you are a new player in MS2 , maybe starting alone, as many players do, you will quit in less than a week.When you realize that till level 60 the game is empty, give an exception for bots hahaha, you just go to windows ->control panel -> uninstall.
    Also if levelling till 60 is really easy (IMOP that's a for an mmo ..)
    Hersik
  • OhmygodOhmygod
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 695
    Iink wrote: »

I'm scared to know how small the real population is when subtracting the bots.

Apparently 10k bots are banned a week. Assuming they're banning a bot per minute, that might be true. If bots/gold buyers are still out and about, then that means half are bots because there's only 3k "players" and 10k / 7 = 1400ish.
  • DishonesteaDishonestea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,035
    edited 1:18PM January 5, 2019
    Nexon NA was actually pretty good with dragon nest until the original devs got replaced by low quality interns (I'm not making that up) and tried forcing in things that Nexon tried holding back.

not saying anything about ms
    Ekso
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    Nexon NA was actually pretty good with dragon nest until the original devs got replaced by low quality interns (I'm not making that up) and tried forcing in things that Nexon tried holding back.

Actually, Nexon tried to help the player-base but they do not develop the game. They simply publish the game for Eyedentity so a lot of things suggested must go through approval. Most of the time they were denied. For example, it took almost 5 years to obtain NX item trading in the game even though most of the other versions had it since the start of release.

Eventually the population for the game became terrible (even though players said it would die from 2011-present), and Nexon decided to drop the game and the original developers have had control of it for the past few years.

The game is now ran by GM-players to reduce funding, but the game is not in a good situation due to players being able to obtain items directly from GMs for money. Content is deleted and recycled back into the game, and new players aren't aware of this as they haven't seen previous cap content.

Surprisingly they have had good events to bring some players back but most of the actual veterans have left.
  • IinkIink
    edited 1:29AM January 16, 2019
    3,221 steam players online average
    Today, 2,825 steam players online in peak hours
    https://steamcharts.com/app/560380

This is looking bad.
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 1:43AM January 16, 2019
    NXACuddles wrote: »
    Now that the initial wave of new players has subsided and the population of Maplers has stabilized, we will be removing excess servers during tomorrow's maintenance, allowing our service to handle 75,000 players at once.

Bolded by me for emphasis. I looked at my friends list and only one person was on. People are leaving and I can't blame them for doing so. This is just the game that could've been so much more, and will probably never be,
  • SimonaSimona
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,080
    Maybe with "stabilized" he intended that the game's population is declining at a stable rate :3
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,525
    Simona wrote: »
    PinkFoxxy wrote: »
    the mistake: SEPERATING NA EAST AND WEST

Well, at least you have two servers they can eventually merge. Imagine being in EU knowing that no merge will ever happen...

Merge and get our names changed? F### that.
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    The decline has definitely not stabilized. This is the Steam chart for the last 1 month.

8aRavFZ.png
  • VisualFxxVisualFxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    We're finally getting under 3k daily users now! We've finally done it! (On steam only) Soon I'm sure we can bring it down to under 2k! This week's blog IF they even post one is going to make or break probably the rest of the community most streamers have brought it up and talked about a lot of their guild mates are just giving the game a bit more time but after the garbage that was December I'd assume this is their last chance. After this it'll just remain the population that for whatever reason seems to think the game is "decent."
  • IllIIlIllIIl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,130
    Eino wrote: »
    The decline has definitely not stabilized.

Well why would it? An endgame for the average casual player is pretty much non existent and they time gated the s**t out of everything else leaving players with nothing to do for the vast majority of the time.
  • yudcyudc
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 990
    edited 11:24AM January 16, 2019
    Really? It seems like mid/hard-core players would get tired out earlier than casuals.
  • ClericeruClericeru
    yudc wrote: »
    Really? It seems like mid/hard-core players would get tired out earlier than casuals.

What is "tired out" ?
  • yudcyudc
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 990
    Clericeru wrote: »
    yudc wrote: »

What is "tired out" ?

I guess better wording would have been "more likely to get burnt out compared to casuals"
  • ClericeruClericeru
    I consider myself a casual player. Being burned out is not why casual players are leaving in my opinion, but the lack of progression choices. You have to grind the same dungeons over and over and that's it. You can't choose to do other things like grind mobs for a week or two, then go back to dungeons. There's just no choice in what moves you forward. And then there's the gear score gate on all the new content. If you aren't able to experience it, it's sorta worthless to you.
  • VisualFxxVisualFxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    F's in chat after last blog boys.
  • TheDahnTheDahn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    Steam's MapleStory 2 population trends do not necessarily represent MapleStory 2's overall player population trends. I started playing this game on Steam when I saw the promotion at the beginning of the game. At some point, I moved to the Nexon launcher for a few reasons. Asking around, I have found several other players have done the same thing. This resulted in a -1 player on Steam but no net change to the MapleStory 2 population. Don't despair over this single statistic.