Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

"Future Feedback Initiative" by Jungsoo Lee

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 68,850
Administrator
in Team Blogs
Dear Maplers,

Now that we’ve finished releasing Skybound Expansion’s Phase 2, it’s time to focus on changes we can make in the new year! I would like to discuss a few important topics, including a new feedback initiative and our communication plan going forward.

It has been about a month and a half since we announced our plan to focus on making improvements to the game’s overall progression. We reviewed (and are still reviewing) community feedback from all channels, and have been discussing many different changes.

Most of these systems are interwoven, and we are continuing to perform an extensive review of how any changes would impact overall gameplay balance. We previously did not disclose details because we wanted to mitigate speculation or potential misunderstanding as a result of sharing only a few high-level concepts. The MapleStory 2 team has agreed to share the general schedule of the plan, along with the systems we are reviewing in order to provide clarity on the kinds of changes you can expect. Once we have more details for each topic, we are going to share in-depth info with you through a new outreach program.

Program Overview

We will soon be kicking off a 3-month project where we actively work with the MapleStory 2 community to gather feedback as we make changes to the major pain points of the game. Below are the phases for feedback gathering:
  1. We will share with you full details of our proposed solution to an issue and why we believe that solution is the most viable one available.
  2. At that time, we will gather your feedback regarding the proposed solution to see if there are any further adjustments to include with the update.
  3. We will share the final decision after all feedback from the community has been reviewed, prior to the changes being released.
  4. We will update the game with the solution that’s been reviewed by the community.
  5. Rinse and repeat!

As a part of this initiative, we are planning to open up a dedicated microsite in February where the proposed solutions will be revealed and discussed. Please keep an eye on our social channels for a link once it’s live.

What is Being Reviewed and Discussed

The goal of the project is to improve the overall ecosystem of MapleStory 2, including progression and the in-game economy (both mesos and items). We want to ensure that players are seeing enough progress when investing time into the game, while also ensuring that players are having fun. We hope to achieve both by making a number improvements of varying scope to the game.

The following are some of the bigger topics we will be reviewing. Details for these topics and how they will be adjusted will be shared in the near future:
  • Enchanting Improvements
  • Gemstone Upgrade Improvements
  • Socket Opening System Improvements
  • Addressing Meso Economy by
    • Adjusting Meso Sinks
    • Introducing Meso Market (with adjustments from other services)
    • Introducing Gear Trade (with restrictions)
  • Epic Pets Improvements
  • Gemstone Related Resource Gathering Process Improvements
  • And more

We will provide the community with more details regarding these changes soon, so for now we ask that you hang tight and try not to jump to conclusions yet.

We are cautious about sharing some of these early plans as we know that players have many different ideas about how to address each topic. We ask the community to respect the development studio and let the studio lead the discussion for each topic, and we hope that this allows us to reach the best resolution for the game.

We are aware that one of the major topics of player concern regards the addition of more guaranteed methods to obtain bonus stats. However we want to make clear that with the above changes we will be discussing with the community, we strongly believe that the random aspects of bonus stats should stay in the game as part of gear progression. This won’t be discussed or changed in the future.

Please note that just because a topic is not currently on the list to review, does not mean that it may never be reviewed in the future. We know there are a handful of other items not included here that are also important to the community, and we do hear your concerns. The topics we are mentioning here today are those that we can confidently reveal as areas we plan to address.

Timeline

This is a 3-month project because all of the topics we are going to discuss can significantly impact the game progression. We want to take the time to thoroughly review and QA each system before any changes get applied to the live servers. This ensures that we hit the marks we’re aiming for, as well as preventing multiple changes from interacting with each other in unexpected ways.

Here is how the timeline looks currently:
  • Early to Mid February: Detailed discussion begins about a few of the topics from the list.
  • End of February or Early March: The first update occurs based on the feedback from February. This update is currently planned to focus on the Gemstone Resource Gathering Process, Meso Economy and more.
  • Early March: Discussion starts for the topics which require a more thorough review, including Enchanting, Gemstone Upgrade, Socket Opening, and Epic Pets. These discussions will take more time because of all the system details.
  • Mid to End of April: The next update occurs based on the feedback from early March. Players will have time to test out and experiment with the new progression, including all the changes from the feedback initiative before our next major expansion comes out.
  • May: Host community events (either online or offline) to discuss the content coming in the next major expansion and the feedback received.
  • End of May or Early June: The next update occurs, coinciding with the release of a new major expansion.

Please note that all schedules are subject to change, based on future discussions, development schedules and results.

While we are going through the feedback process, we will continue to run events and release other quality-of-life improvements into the game.

The MapleStory 2 team truly cares about the game and we are moving as fast as we can to make meaningful changes. As we stated last year, we want to take the time to fully review the ecosystem of the game. We are committed to making great changes that affect the entire game, rather than releasing hotfixes to one feature that may negatively impact a different feature.

We have been keeping a weekly cadence of producer blogs to provide regular updates to the community. However, starting with this one, we are going to transition to producer blogs released whenever we have topics to share or discuss in detail with the community. This doesn’t mean we are reducing overall communication, since we will have many topics to discuss moving forward with this project.

We are very excited to initiate this new project with the MapleStory 2 community! Please stay tuned for when we share the first discussion topics soon. Your continued constructive feedback will be instrumental in making this project a success. Together we will review and pursue the best solution for the game.

Sincerely,

Jungsoo Lee
On behalf of the entire Nexon Team and MapleStory 2 Studio

Comments

• ClericeruClericeru
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 4:23PM January 17, 2019
    Goodbye MS2.

Since this is my last post here, I'd like to take the time to thank those people who made my time worthwhile in this unworthy game. Those of you who did right when you didn't have too. Those of you who started or jumped into any parties to help new players. Those of you who held boss monsters on channels so everyone else could get extra mesos. Those of you who held song contests in your homes. Those of you who kept doing FD even after your priest had died too many times and couldn't come back. I could go on and on, but this is for those of you who gave without asking for anything in return.

To those people, thank you.
    ThendriksMirralChanXXPriestXX44Predestinat1onEinoCryotronActualChabbyBaoCypheraylumosMiehand 6 others.
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,535
    I don't think it's a good idea to ask for feedback from an entrenched playerbase like this. The people playing right now have invested too much into the terrible systems currently in the game to give unbiased opinions on them. These are players who have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours suffering at the hands of horrific RNG and time-gate systems, who aren't going to be happy that all that time and effort could end up being for nothing.

Not that I don't appreciate the gesture, here. Wanting to create your game based on player feedback is a good thing. I just think it's too late to do it now, after the way you've made people go through RNG hell for the last 3 months just to play the new content. You won't get a good response to any changes you're going to make from anybody still playing Maplestory 2 in it's current state.

Also, three months is a really long time for this, considering it's been a whole month since you guys said you were looking at changing things. I know development takes time but if you're delaying making very necessary changes to the game just for feedback, there might not be many people around at the end of that time to enjoy them. You really need to be putting all of your resources into this right now before the playerbase dries up. Not sure if you understand how urgent fixing these systems is.

But I said my piece months ago, if you wanted my feedback you'd have already read it.
    mirta000AKPolaB3arThendrikskimiSibyllDefraglifeGarbEinoSisterFisterCryotronand 7 others.
  • mirta000mirta000
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,125
    edited 4:45PM January 17, 2019
    ^ this. You're already very late to act. MMOs just do not have this much time.
    Edit: you know when such feedback should have been collected? In the betas.
    ThendriksMirralChanDefraglifeXXPriestXX44EinoSisterFisterCryotronBaoCypheraylumosMiehand 5 others.
  • SnowPastelSnowPastel
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,090
    edited 4:45PM January 17, 2019
    Why do you need to take months to gather feedback when it's already all over the forum and the sub-reddit?

And you didn't even mention fair fight...
    ThendriksFantasykittenMirralChanSibyllDefraglifeGarbXXPriestXX44EinoWarameSisterFisterand 9 others.
  • StellaeoraStellaeora
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,450
    edited 4:54PM January 17, 2019
    mirta000 wrote: »
    you know when such feedback should have been collected? In the betas.

They did. The CBT players asked for faster levelling. Then shortly after launch they raised the dungeon cap to 60 because players asked for it.

(shrug)

They really should have put in some stopgap measures. It's fine to take time receiving feedback and slowly evolve the game, but super fast changes like "gem and socket upgrades are now 100% but cost more mats" would have been super quick to make yet enough to keep everyone reasonably happy to wait longer. Being told that nothing is happening right now is a bit much.
    Anura_
  • ThendriksThendriks
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,700
    What a wonderful conclusion! Now, dear Nexon Team and MapleStory 2 Studio time to read OUR 3 month project that WE went through in the last 3 months and even before in the betas. You can find feedback in all shapes and forms on discord, reddit, social media, official and unofficial forums AND even fan made wikipedia sites. Use the innovative "Google" system to learn more about our game.

Thendriks
    On behalf of the entire MapleStory 2 playerbase.
    FantasykittenMirralChanSibyllDefraglifeXXPriestXX44Einomirta000BaoCypherMiehe3loand 2 others.
  • MushroomMurderMushroomMurder
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,550
    edited 5:51PM January 17, 2019
    I have never seen so many words that say absolutely nothing.

The petition to remove fair fight thread is the largest and most active thread in the Suggestions and Feedback forum. The fact that it isn't even a bullet point is a huge indication that either you do not read community feedback, or you just don't care. When our community managers don't even know how to unlock sockets on accessories, which has been a core issue with this game's progression for the last several months, that tells me that you either do not read community feedback, or you just don't care. When your player-base is pleading with you to make the necessary changes to all the problems that are killing off the population for the last several months, and you release a blog-post stating that you will not implement ANY game-saving changes for at least two months, that tells me that you either do not read community feedback, or you just don't care.

I found myself one of the few people who were willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, sometimes even defend you. Despite the month and a half absence of any communication regarding progression in this game, I still held out hope. When one of your GM's abused his powers and you took prompt action against him and the players he helped, I truly believed that this act of transparency and swiftness was a sign that MS2 was going to be curated by a studio that truly cared about their player-base.

You have proven me wrong.
    GarbXXPriestXX44EinokimiEternalxSisterFisterCryotronActualChabbyBaoCypheraylumosand 4 others.
  • ChillBearChillBear
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,690
    I quit the game about 2 months ago, haven't played since but check back occasionally on the forums/reddit to see if anything has changed. It's sad to see pretty much nothing has and the urgency to respond to these glaring issues aren't coming nearly fast enough.

Back in CBT 1 and 2 I, along with many others, were screaming about the warning signs of a lack of content due to this game being nothing but a dungeon crawler with terrible time-gated RNG mechanics. In CBT 2 I had to quit prematurely due to falling behind my guild mates when enchanting RNG went against me and put me much lower DPS wise than them. The repetitive nature of doing dungeons over and over didn't help either to keep the game fresh. I frequently emphasized the point that the world in this game is so large yet so empty and void of life because it has been stripped of the necessity to travel through it and do almost anything of necessity with mobs. When I quit 2 months ago the only thing I killed mobs for was for achievements, to collect potion solvents or to respawn pets to capture. That and the game throwing us to max level, completely neglecting most of the maps/dungeons/mobs of the game, within a few hours for 'end game content'.

I don't understand why this valuable feedback from CBT1/2 was ignored. Did you guys listen to those elitist players from KMS2 who kept up with the rhetoric that 'the fun starts at max level LUL'? And now here we are with a game that is close to being on life support.
    BuuuuuutwhYJetUppercutMirralChanGarbXXPriestXX44WallSeriesEinomirta000kimiSisterFisterand 6 others.
  • BuuuuuutwhYBuuuuuutwhY
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 920
    ChillBear wrote: »
    I don't understand why this valuable feedback from CBT1/2 was ignored.

Because it has never been their priority to do so.

People need to wake up to the fact that the heads of MS2 aren't incompetent or lazy. They've done and are doing the absolute minimum to sell an unsuccessful product to another region. That means scripted patches with little to no deviation. Every outcry from the community is met with either a giveaway event or "coming soon". Their words are empty.

Look at their actions and ask yourself how Nexon makes you feel.

SisterFistere3lo
  • MiskyMisky
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 780
    edited 6:21PM January 17, 2019
    At least he's aware of relevant topics.
    Just as a reminder, in enchanting we need more ways to farm materials (mostly chaos onyx), gemstone is weekly capped through stellars, rng to upgrade them is pretty low and price to de-socket is pretty high. Meso economy is run by transactions made possible due to meso sellers and bots (high prices in boe items/epic pets/b4/raid carries), making it impossible to generate mesos reliably in any other way. The pet system is heavily rng based and a huge gold sink which doesn't help with all the other gold sinks the game has.
    Fragments, candies, accesory fusion/socketing, stellar glass, rusted keys. You need to sink more mesos that you can produce reliable with 1 character during the week in order to progress your character if you want to be strong enough to do current content.
    Fair fight doesn't help either as farming dungeons is one of the best way of farming meso which leads to repetitive, slow process but if you are not lucky with boes the rewards are barely noticeable. Having 60 dungeons helps, but having 60 dungeonswith fair fight will (and it is) burning out the playerbase quicly.
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,735
    edited 6:25PM January 17, 2019
    I don't think it's a good idea to ask for feedback from an entrenched playerbase like this. The people playing right now have invested too much into the terrible systems currently in the game to give unbiased opinions on them. These are players who have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours suffering at the hands of horrific RNG and time-gate systems, who aren't going to be happy that all that time and effort could end up being for nothing.

Not that I don't appreciate the gesture, here. Wanting to create your game based on player feedback is a good thing. I just think it's too late to do it now, after the way you've made people go through RNG hell for the last 3 months just to play the new content. You won't get a good response to any changes you're going to make from anybody still playing Maplestory 2 in it's current state.

Also, three months is a really long time for this, considering it's been a whole month since you guys said you were looking at changing things. I know development takes time but if you're delaying making very necessary changes to the game just for feedback, there might not be many people around at the end of that time to enjoy them. You really need to be putting all of your resources into this right now before the playerbase dries up. Not sure if you understand how urgent fixing these systems is.

But I said my piece months ago, if you wanted my feedback you'd have already read it.

I 100% agree with this. It's too late to ask the player base. Most people are stuck in there ways. Look at your suggestion and general chat threads there is more than enough information for you there alone. The people who are at the top don't care about the others so they won't want any change because it makes there work pointless if they didn't cheat. Too late to try to put a bandages on a severed limb.

I'm still one of the few waiting on striker. I hope I don't have to wait until June as I will be so far behind all others at that time it will be rediculous. Please release it prior to the massive summer update. I know I'm not alone there are a lot of others that want to play the class and not get left behind.

I'm almost throwing in the towel when it comes to this game.
    e3lo
  • KayshaKaysha
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 505
    It has been about a month and a half since we announced our plan to focus on making improvements to the game’s overall progression.

And all you could think off during that time was to leave everything unchanged for at least another six weeks.
    JetUppercutXXPriestXX44MiskyDefraglifeSisterFisteraylumosMieh
  • GarbGarb
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 725
    we don't even need this, please remove Fair Fight
    DefraglifeMommaMako
  • MywooMywoo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 420
    3 months ? lol cya
    SisterFisterMieh
  • VisualFxxVisualFxx
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,605
    edited 7:38PM January 17, 2019
    Sad I've literally post tons of crap on these forums about THIS EXACT situation where it's NEXON they won't ever do anything it's sad but true. This company has been in the gutter since LONG LONG ago unfortunately. I've invested 1.4k+ hours already in MS2 and quit 3 weeks ago because of all the bull. Now they have the BALLS to tell everyone your not getting anything changed for 3 months. Yeah GOOD BYE enjoy your dead playerbase. Hate to be so rude as I more than anyone wanted this game to do well. But I can't continue to support it when the team has literally given up and it's extremely apparent. Your going to see this playerbase drop under 2k daily REAL fast. If not under 1k. ON TOP OF EVERYTHING people are still no clipping in dark descent, still botting, still meso selling and yet some people continue to defend this game (probably all the buyers/botters) Literally nothing gets done about them EVER they act as if banning them does something, their running MULTIPLE instances of maplestory 2 at the same time running 10-20 bots. Everywhere you go it's just BOTS only BOTS.

F's in chat boys. Maybe if we spam this thread with it they'll stop being idiots.
    DefraglifeXXPriestXX44mirta000aylumosMiehe3lo
  • BlackFurBlackFur
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    Then we have to wait 1 more month? with the same absurd progression system?
  • WallSeriesWallSeries
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,470
    edited 9:02PM January 17, 2019
    Jungsoo: guys wait wait, the game is dead we know, I know but goods news, we are about to begin our discussion on the problems... the projects ain't coming till next month or so but u guys can wait unless we shut down the game because no one is playing and its full of bots then maybe, maybe some changes will come... wait till the end of June and enjoy...
    ChillBear wrote: »
    and now here we are with a game that is close to being on life support.
    im pretty sure we are already on life support
    XXPriestXX44mirta000SisterFisterMieh
  • Predestinat1onPredestinat1on
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 815

^This.

I feel all that can be said has been said now from most spectrum of the community now. And it's so true, whatever you implement will be faced with opposition because so many already invested heavily. As crazy as it sounds, trust your heart after reading everything. Review how other games of the similar / identical genre sustain their economy.

I feel the team will achieve more by sticking to whatever you feel is best after reading everything and understand where things fell apart + put out some incentive for new players to join. A bit like a relaunch. No plan will please all players, and opening up these for feedback is going to end up similar way to how it is now. Do this thing, flamed by 100 ppl, do this other thing, flamed by another 100ppl. etc
    XXPriestXX44Defraglifeaylumos
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,735

^This.

I feel all that can be said has been said now from most spectrum of the community now. And it's so true, whatever you implement will be faced with opposition because so many already invested heavily. As crazy as it sounds, trust your heart after reading everything. Review how other games of the similar / identical genre sustain their economy.

I feel the team will achieve more by sticking to whatever you feel is best after reading everything and understand where things fell apart + put out some incentive for new players to join. A bit like a relaunch. No plan will please all players, and opening up these for feedback is going to end up similar way to how it is now. Do this thing, flamed by 100 ppl, do this other thing, flamed by another 100ppl. etc

A relaunch sounds like a good idea. With all classes. Give an incentive for the top players while balancing things for others. Either way like it's being said in life there is no way to make everyone happy. Do what you feel is best.
  • CalindelCalindel
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,510
    edited 12:43AM January 18, 2019
    In 3 months you are going to have like 800 players left.

I dont understand how you think you need these absurd information gathering missions when almost every single fkng forum post since for 3 months has been the same thing "GET RID OF THE RNG BS".

I mean seriously, right now go look at your forums, start scrolling down the general or feedback sections and actually read them. Nearly every post is the same, either "goodbye MS2 I quit" or "rng sucks, cant progress", you dont need to wait 3 months and ask questions you already have 89,456,657 answers to.

Why do I come back every few days to post when I quit 6 weeks ago? B/c im pissed off that I wasted 600 hours of my time to get fkd over by your BS RNG and I dont want to see other gamers fall victim to it. You have catfished people for 2 months now with these BS state of the game blogs telling us every time "things are going to get better, we are looking into ways to improve progress", BS, absolute BS.

Now its "just hang in there, keep giving us money, just need another 3 months to gather information", you guys make me sick.
    Defraglifemirta000FantasykittenaylumosMiehXalterroLieß