Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

Pay to win? Down Under Daily Wonders

ThendriksThendriks
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,700
edited 2:50AM January 17, 2019 in General Chat
Day 14: Essential Gem Dust Box, containing 100 each of Yellow, Blue and Purple Gem Dust

NEXON is adding progressively more pay to win to the game. For an anti pay to win purist like me this is like allowing botting/RMT/exploiting. For others this might be a way to enjoy the game more. I think the timing on this is very bad for the game ... What's your opinion on this?
  1. Do we need more pay to win?53 votes
    1. Yes
       25% (13 votes)
    2. I don't care
       25% (13 votes)
    3. No
       51% (27 votes)

Comments

• ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 3:31AM January 17, 2019
    Even though I beat you by 13 mins, I'll change my post to point here. No point in doubling up for the same idea :)

At this stage I wouldn't say it's really p2w because it's only a small amount, but think it can become a slippery slope once some people start buying things to get ahead and then want to do it more. One can't deny the shrinking population and adding advantages to the meret store is one way they can start increasing the revenue. Just seems like there's a lot of potential for p2w elements coming out, like it's just waiting to happen.
    XXPriestXX44SimonaThendriksAnamiDanDK
  • XnknownXnknown
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 765
    +1 , Pay 2 Win please.
  • BabouBabou
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 830
    I don't really see a problem here, it is just a small amount of them and devs need to pay their bills too.
  • UltimaPiUltimaPi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 870
    Slippery slope.

Probably just testing the waters (remember, Nexon specifically said the game wouldn't be p2w!!!11one) to see if it can snowball into something viable.
    XXPriestXX44SimonaSisterFisterDanDK
  • NahoNaho
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,850
    edited 5:59AM January 17, 2019
    You can grind your gem box , who give a crap if it's in the daily wonder or not? You will lose them like any f2p player because you still have the same chance to succeed. Let's not open another useless " this is p2w " thread when you clearly still don't have any clue of what it is For the love of god.
    Mieh
  • ThendriksThendriks
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,700
    edited 7:16AM January 17, 2019
    Naho wrote: »
    You can grind your gem box , who give a crap if it's in the daily wonder or not? You will lose them like any f2p player because you still have the same chance to succeed. Let's not open another useless " this is p2w " thread when you clearly still don't have any clue of what it is For the love of god.

Let me explain this to you @Naho then:
    The latest cash shop bundles came with spirit regenerating potions. These potions were used in Dark Descent to push through certain floors with ease. Pay to win in a competetive environment.

This cash shop bundle includes gem dust and spirit potions. Pay to win + pay to progress.

It's a slow process but we can see a clear trend.

Now for your question if we should "give a crap if it's in the daily wonder or not?". I agree for some players it's not an issue but others will call this out and demand less pay to win elements in a game that was announced to remove pay to win alltogether because that's what broke the other versions. It's a matter of learning from previous mistakes to stop people from leaving the game.

And I think it's important to ask if this is healthy for the game or not.
    DanDK
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    Ppl are screaming pay to progress. I wish they dropped more dust for money and cash costumes with stats.

Also 100 dust isnt even enough to enhance a gem at the mid level
  • ILakeILake
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    They probably are testing, regardless of our opinon in the matter, what will decide if they gonna continue in this direction is the number of sales of this daily wonder.

But it's Nexon, you know.
  • XnknownXnknown
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 765
    edited 10:18AM January 17, 2019
    The game is clearly dying.
    Why even care about 100 gem dusts if there are no people left to use them?
    At least give them a chance to see if P2W elements would bring people back!

they should have just released the game with all P2W elements in them. i bet the server would be still full of players

"And I think it's important to ask if this is healthy for the game or not."

You think the game is healthy now?
  • KitsunemitsuKitsunemitsu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 710
    they been adding in metacell, crystal frags, and other upgrade mats in the daily wonders from the beginning. you're just now complaining about p2w because of gem dust because.....?
    SoamiBabouMieh
  • ZyanidZyanid
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 635
    That's not P2W. P2W would be something like 200 Gem Dust Selection boxes in the Premium Shop. Unlimited buys.
    SoamiBabouBiuBiuManMieh
  • VisualFxxVisualFxx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    Look honestly doesn't matter hardly anyone is around to buy it anyway they need to squeeze whatever money they can from people right now or else they'll just have to shut it down completely. They need whales to support them because the f2p playerbase is dead. You have to remember the INSANE amount of bots that are everywhere more than actual players which means that 2.6k peak players on steam is really closer to 1.5kish REAL players if even that honestly the hacking/reversing discords had about 300+ people and figure most of them run multiple accounts at once. They need to implement this if they want to game to continue or until they change some things around but the company won't let them keep sinking money into this game if their not making a profit.
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    VisualFxx wrote: »
    Look honestly doesn't matter hardly anyone is around to buy it anyway they need to squeeze whatever money they can from people right now or else they'll just have to shut it down completely. They need whales to support them because the f2p playerbase is dead. You have to remember the INSANE amount of bots that are everywhere more than actual players which means that 2.6k peak players on steam is really closer to 1.5kish REAL players if even that honestly the hacking/reversing discords had about 300+ people and figure most of them run multiple accounts at once. They need to implement this if they want to game to continue or until they change some things around but the company won't let them keep sinking money into this game if their not making a profit.

F2P players don't even matter because they aren't contributing to the game anyways.

And no the servers wouldn't be full if the game was P2W. You would be the first to quit because you wouldn't be able to handle it
  • DishonesteaDishonestea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,035
    edited 12:40PM January 17, 2019
    tfti

i just spent 2.6k merits just for the dust
  • KiymoriKiymori
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,250
    Thendriks wrote: »
    Day 14: Essential Gem Dust Box, containing 100 each of Yellow, Blue and Purple Gem Dust

NEXON is adding progressively more pay to win to the game. For an anti pay to win purist like me this is like allowing botting/RMT/exploiting. For others this might be a way to enjoy the game more. I think the timing on this is very bad for the game ... What's your opinion on this?

Are you really putting 100 gem dust in the same category as botting,RMT and exploiting? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
  • ÄrtÄrt
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,380

that's something like 3h of very efficient treva farming, assuming you get same amount of all dusts
  • starkiller1286starkiller1286
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    VisualFxx wrote: »

Worst case scenario while keeping their word they syphon money raised from Mabinogi or other whales to support this. Rather strange that their going on 12 year old game is going rather well in comparison to a going on 4 year old game.
  • AnamiAnami
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,590
    This is depressing, and certainly is a slippery slope. THose encouraging this will only spell the downfall of the game, there's a good reason KMS2 and CMS2 failed. My advice personally? I know it sucks, because I'm sure some people want those mounts but DO NOT buy that package, do not tempt them to put pay2win in.

For those saying Pay2Win will bring people back clearly has not been reading the reasoning why many people are leaving.
    IllIIlXXPriestXX44
  • StellaeoraStellaeora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,455
    people literally whined on this very forum about the pet capture packages being worthless in one of the previous daily wonders

now it's actually somewhat useful, a one-time 300 gem dust box and the complaint has become "it's p2w!!"

you can't win with some people
    KiymoriSylqtXtonyTamakiSakura
  • NahoNaho
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,850
    edited 3:13PM January 17, 2019
    Thendriks wrote: »

Let me explain this to you @Naho then:
    The latest cash shop bundles came with spirit regenerating potions. These potions were used in Dark Descent to push through certain floors with ease. Pay to win in a competetive environment.

This cash shop bundle includes gem dust and spirit potions. Pay to win + pay to progress.

It's a slow process but we can see a clear trend.

Now for your question if we should "give a crap if it's in the daily wonder or not?". I agree for some players it's not an issue but others will call this out and demand less pay to win elements in a game that was announced to remove pay to win alltogether because that's what broke the other versions. It's a matter of learning from previous mistakes to stop people from leaving the game.

And I think it's important to ask if this is healthy for the game or not.

"With ease" you said it yourself. If you can prove me that you cannot clear without the pots then i'll agree with you it's p2w. Otherwise just do what everyone does , learn and clear.

Ärt wrote: »

that's something like 3h of very efficient treva farming, assuming you get same amount of all dusts

so what ?