Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Goodbye MapleStory 2

ShadepoopieShadepoopie
MapleStory 2 Rep: 660
edited 6:08PM January 11, 2019 in General Chat
I'm officially done with this game.
Just another week of reset and I'm still stuck on my +11 legendary enchantment. Wasting my time by grinding the recources and running all the dungeons to their limits every week to just see that I fail to progress. I've failed 8 times in a row so far on trying to get +12 with 27% each time. Failing ALL gemstone upgrades lately and being stuck in this RNG hell for almost 1 month not having progressed at all.

I've been playing this game since the headstart launch and have been a dedicated semi-hardcore player playing everyday. But seeing people going ahead of me despite our big diffrences of playtime and them wielding their +14 legendaries has brought unmotivation to me. The biggest regret I had was that I didnt quitted this game long ago when all my friends did. Instead I blindly gave hope to Nexon that they will change the way of progression soon and make it right.
I convinced myself to last a little longer till they publish the blog about progression, but they just keep delaying it all the time and I'm at my limit already. But despite their "new" upcoming progression fix, I still belive they wont change the RNG much. This is their core game, this is what I signed up for, and that's what I regret.

MapleStory 2 was my first Nexon game and it probably will be the last one as well. Despite all the negative emotion I had towards this game, I've met a lot of great friends, but sadly at this point I'm the last of us that lasted this long.

The game was too time consuming with little to reward.
Clericerueme1991mirta000ÄrtKingTwistedDefraglifeMorokuskrealSherri

Comments

• ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    Peace.

I'm waiting for the next blog update, but I suspect that I will be joining you soon enough.
    Defraglife
  • KiymoriKiymori
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,250
    Just another week of reset and I'm still stuck on my +11 legendary enchantment. Wasting my time by grinding the recources and running all the dungeons to their limits every week to just see that I fail to progress. I've failed 8 times in a row so far on trying to get +12 with 27% each time. Failing ALL gemstone upgrades lately and being stuck in this RNG hell for almost 1 month not having progressed at all.

I've been playing this game since the headstart launch and have been a dedicated semi-hardcore player playing everyday. But seeing people going ahead of me despite our big diffrences of playtime and them wielding their +14 legendaries has brought unmotivation to me. The biggest regret I had was that I didnt quitted this game long ago when all my friends did. Instead I blindly gave hope to Nexon that they will change the way of progression soon and make it right.
    I convinced myself to last a little longer till they publish the blog about progression, but they just keep delaying it all the time and I'm at my limit already. But despite their "new" upcoming progression fix, I still belive they wont change the RNG much. This is their core game, this is what I signed up for, and that's what I regret.

MapleStory 2 was my first Nexon game and it probably will be the last one as well. Despite all the negative emotion I had towards this game, I've met a lot of great friends, but sadly at this point I'm the last of us that lasted this long.

It's unfortunate, but it's to be expected from a Korean grinder that doesn't have any cash shop elements to offset it or a foundation to make it 'slightly more bearable. I do think in the future they might make it easier for some people who are struggling with RNG, the question is are you willing to wait that long? I hope you find another game that meets your needs until then :).
  • KingTwistedKingTwisted
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 930
    Sad part is, atleast in my opinion, they've done messed up to the point of no return. I haven't played in well over a month, but I keep coming back to the forums and reading the devblogs, only to see that nothing is being done. Though at the same time, the gap is getting even larger between a new player, those who may have already quit, and the people who somehow got lucky on the RNG Train. I feel like once it gets to a certain point, nobody will ever come back because they know it will be nearly impossible to catch back up.

Unlike in Maplestory 1 where they would occasionally have a new server come out where everybody could flock to, MS2 doesn't have that, and will probably help make for its downfall.
    DanDK
  • JazipcJazipc
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,110
    Sad part is, atleast in my opinion, they've done messed up to the point of no return. I haven't played in well over a month, but I keep coming back to the forums and reading the devblogs, only to see that nothing is being done. Though at the same time, the gap is getting even larger between a new player, those who may have already quit, and the people who somehow got lucky on the RNG Train. I feel like once it gets to a certain point, nobody will ever come back because they know it will be nearly impossible to catch back up.

Unlike in Maplestory 1 where they would occasionally have a new server come out where everybody could flock to, MS2 doesn't have that, and will probably help make for its downfall.

It's actually very sad. I found out about MS2 a year before the initial release and was hyped to have been chosen for CB and CB2. I haven't played in well over a month. EU servers are basically dead to the bone. Such a pity, it had so much potential.
  • FeifeiDuFeifeiDu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,060
    I do the same exact same dungeon with my guildy every week and he end up +15 here I am +12... I feel you man...
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 1:02AM January 12, 2019
    FeifeiDu wrote: »
    I do the same exact same dungeon with my guildy every week and he end up +15 here I am +12... I feel you man...

I sometimes ponder this aspect of the original design (among many other pointless things). It's clear that RNG leads to unequal progression for the same amount of time and effort, thus resulting in gaps between friends who started playing at the same time. Did this design originally actually serve another purpose?

Yes, I'm speaking from the non GMS p2w veiwpoint, but a large number of problems stems from that original p2w design. The only thing I could think of was that with weapon duplicates being the limiting factor in enchantment attempts, players who fell behind would have to purchase those toad kits to catch up. Perhaps I'm wrong or could be missing something here.
    DanDK
  • ILakeILake
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 530
    edited 7:21AM January 12, 2019
    In kms2 the progression feels a lot easier than here, the black market is "older", therefore, a lot of key items are cheaper, its easier for new players to catch up. You don't have to grind 200 FD, just buy your GS from black market, also from time to time Nexon gives legendary gear (upgraded legendary gear, up to +13) in specials events. We have gem powder conversion, treva maps drop gems, you can buy upgraded gems from the black market. We have damage % gems, luminogems, PVP gives you decent prizes, there is no fairfight, etc.

I'm saying this cause I feel that Nexon can improve a lot the global Maplestory2, i don't understand what they are waitting for?

Most of my friends have quitted the game, my first guild died, so I found another guild and made new friends, now most of my new friends are thinking about leaving the game.

I love the game, but I don't wanna play alone. We need changes.
    Mousekin
  • PinkFoxxyPinkFoxxy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,090
    lmao 100% of the time someone posts one of these "goodbye" threads, they log right back on and continue to play another dungeon u not foolin anybody sit tf down
    FrostmourneBabouAnura_
  • FrostmourneFrostmourne
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 450
    Can you give away your items then? We'll hold on to them while you go MIA.
    Anura_
  • StellaeoraStellaeora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,455
    edited 9:25PM January 12, 2019
    Clericeru wrote: »
    I sometimes ponder this aspect of the original design (among many other pointless things). It's clear that RNG leads to unequal progression for the same amount of time and effort, thus resulting in gaps between friends who started playing at the same time. Did this design originally actually serve another purpose?
    Probably to act as an equalizer. You have to remember that by the very nature of the RNG that for every unlucky person who had to failstack +13, there's a corresponding lucky one who one-tapped their way to +15.

In other games without RNG-based progression, players stratify based on other measurements like time played or a combination of skill+ping. Elitism and toxicity still rears its ugly head in these games, though generally somewhat less so. RNG is the ultimate "equal provider" in that regard, causing two players who otherwise played equivalently to have totally different experiences and thus thoroughly stirring the pot and disrupting the natural order of things.

Now, whether or not you think this is a good idea is up to you. But that was likely its intention in terms of game design -- preventing over-concentration of extremely elitist 12-hour-a-day types among the upper tiers of players, by ensuring massive disparities in gear based solely on luck and thus ensuring that hardcore and casual players both must coexist in all areas of the game by virtue of just plain luck forcing them to be that way. As clearly seen in MapleStory 2 though, this only serves to make people fed up and quit. To Nexon's credit they probably just didn't anticipate that it would be so negatively received and thankfully are now beginning to address it.

It's also to provide longterm progression. When an MMO is designed to provide hundreds if not thousands of hours of continuous play, you need RNG and/or time gating to artificially extend the content because realistically no game actually has hundreds of hours of engaging and exciting new content at every turn. MapleStory 2 is a first in terms of including both heavy RNG and heavy time gating though, usually it's one or the other. The lack of tradeability, although not a bad thing by itself, actually compounds this problem because it deprives people of the option to make up their progression through spending more time farming meso. Of course, more meso always helps one to progress regardless, but the problem is that no matter how much meso you make, at some point you must go up against the RNG wall -- this is not the case in many other MMOs.

In terms of gameplay, I consider myself hardcore in playing but casual in mindset. It has been interesting from an academic standpoint to see the various design decisions made by the MapleStory 2 team and their effects on the game and its playerbase, but I make sure to keep at arm's length and not get too mentally involved in the game to avoid running into the frustration that many others seem to have run into. So I'm fine with patiently waiting for Nexon to address everything; I'm confident they'll make the game better over time, especially given how far it's come just in its first 3 months alone.
    Kiymori
  • KiymoriKiymori
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,250

Stellaeora wrote: »
    Clericeru wrote: »
    Probably to act as an equalizer. You have to remember that by the very nature of the RNG that for every unlucky person who had to failstack +13, there's a corresponding lucky one who one-tapped their way to +15.

In other games without RNG-based progression, players stratify based on other measurements like time played or a combination of skill+ping. Elitism and toxicity still rears its ugly head in these games, though generally somewhat less so. RNG is the ultimate "equal provider" in that regard, causing two players who otherwise played equivalently to have totally different experiences and thus thoroughly stirring the pot and disrupting the natural order of things.

Now, whether or not you think this is a good idea is up to you. But that was likely its intention in terms of game design -- preventing over-concentration of extremely elitist 12-hour-a-day types among the upper tiers of players, by ensuring massive disparities in gear based solely on luck and thus ensuring that hardcore and casual players both must coexist in all areas of the game by virtue of just plain luck forcing them to be that way. As clearly seen in MapleStory 2 though, this only serves to make people fed up and quit. To Nexon's credit they probably just didn't anticipate that it would be so negatively received and thankfully are now beginning to address it.

It's also to provide longterm progression. When an MMO is designed to provide hundreds if not thousands of hours of continuous play, you need RNG and/or time gating to artificially extend the content because realistically no game actually has hundreds of hours of engaging and exciting new content at every turn. MapleStory 2 is a first in terms of including both heavy RNG and heavy time gating though, usually it's one or the other. The lack of tradeability, although not a bad thing by itself, actually compounds this problem because it deprives people of the option to make up their progression through spending more time farming meso. Of course, more meso always helps one to progress regardless, but the problem is that no matter how much meso you make, at some point you must go up against the RNG wall -- this is not the case in many other MMOs.

In terms of gameplay, I consider myself hardcore in playing but casual in mindset. It has been interesting from an academic standpoint to see the various design decisions made by the MapleStory 2 team and their effects on the game and its playerbase, but I make sure to keep at arm's length and not get too mentally involved in the game to avoid running into the frustration that many others seem to have run into. So I'm fine with patiently waiting for Nexon to address everything; I'm confident they'll make the game better over time, especially given how far it's come just in its first 3 months alone.

Exactly, once you actually realize what you are up against it makes it easier to mentally plan for it. So rather than burn yourself out emotionally over RNG, you sit at your computer, farm until you are ready to make your upgrades and if it fails, it fails. Believe me, if you approach it that way you more than likely will feel less fed up because you then play the game casually like the lotto rather than sitting at the same slot machine for hours hoping you win.
  • DefraglifeDefraglife
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,695
    Goodbye bro! I slowed down playing a lot. But it's because I'm saving for striker (being patient). I'm hoping it release in February.
  • BabouBabou
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 830
    Bet OP just wanted to rant and say goodbye as a threat, as where real quitters just quit without a single word.

Cya ingame OP!
    Anura_
  • MorokuMoroku
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    Game is garbage, you're stupid if you think it'll get better.
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    Moroku wrote: »

You know what's more stupid? Hating the game and still posting on the forums trying to find validation from others that the game is bad.
    BabouUltralanWittlePlushyAnura_
  • MorokuMoroku
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    WiLBoY wrote: »

You know what's more stupid? Hating the game and still posting on the forums trying to find validation from others that the game is bad.

Nah, I come here to get people like you mad. have fun with the game. haha
  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    WiLBoY wrote: »

Nah, I come here to get people like you mad. have fun with the game. haha

Why would I be mad lol. I could care less if you hated or enjoyed the game. I only care about ppl I raid with