Check out the v16 1st Anniversary Update patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45834

steamcharts for Maplestory 2

Comments

  • pootismanpootisman
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    Posts: 7
    Member
    This is how most korean MMORPG games are. Honestly the game is being handled way better than some of the other games I've played.

    The natural decline is due to a combination of people finding end game boring and people who just wanted to try and didn't like it too much. This is expected.
    PkmdzKarma93WittlePlushy
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    Posts: 201
    Member
    edited 1:51PM December 8, 2018
    Secrots wrote: »
    When progression depends more on rng than it does on player effort, there is a lot of dependency from the developers to keep failing. The more you fail, the more you keep playing. It gives an illusion of an active playerbase when realistically it's just a test of how much each player can put up with mentally.

    It's lazy design in every way.

    I can't help but feel this whole revamp could have been avoided if they just made it so the bonus attribute percents were static based on level of equip with a minor increase based on rarity.

    It's not lazy design. It's not good design. It's the leftovers from a p2w game that forces players to pay money to alleviate the frustration from RNG. I actually consider it pretty cunning to be honest. To extract money from people by frustrating them.

    I know our version doesn't have all the p2w elements, but you can clearly see this in the design of fishing and gathering. The whole RNG is to frustrate players more and more as they level up, and amazingly they have the solution in the form of auto-fishing and a gathering badge. How convenient for you.

    [Edit] Take a look at the fair fight nerf, or I guess I should call it the player damage nerf. People were bossing those monsters for the crystals. Now what are some people doing to get crystals? Fishing while at work or overnight. It's all about extracting money from players by hindering their ability to progress.

    I'm not a fan of the whole attribute system. I consider it to be rubbish.

    mirta000FrostZzMiehPkmdzKarma93EinoAezariaSherri
  • PeepPeep
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,925
    Posts: 128
    Member
    I think the biggest problem most people have that I've talked to is the stupid amount of rng this game has. It's punishing rng too. If they had a fail stack type system for every bit of rng in this game that was based around progression I don't think it would be as bad.

    Rng is a killer and demotivator for progression though. Nothing worse than getting unlucky for weeks and halting your progression.

    I think if the rng wasn't so bad a lot more people would have stayed.
    PkmdzWaterfulMieh
  • Karma93Karma93
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    Posts: 32
    Member
    Till top players don't say anything the game is perfect like it is.(I mean for devs).
    Korean's MMOs work like that.
    You can see the division on the forum and in the game btw new players and "veterans".
    New players say "we have to have the same opportunity " the Answer from veterans is " change the game "...
    Or ....as the first page of this thread , if you use data with solid numbers , people say "the data is insignificant!"...
    Amazing !xD
    mirta000
  • ShenRyujinShenRyujin
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,395
    Posts: 81
    Member
    edited 5:00AM December 9, 2018
    pootisman wrote: »
    This is how most korean MMORPG games are. Honestly the game is being handled way better than some of the other games I've played.

    The natural decline is due to a combination of people finding end game boring and people who just wanted to try and didn't like it too much. This is expected.

    I mean to be fair in Korea the game flopped abit under maplestory 1 cuz they took out many good aspects from ms1.
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 123
    Member
    Looks like the population bump from the update didn't last long - now slightly down week-on-week compared to last weekend.

    6CFGX8o.png
  • SecrotsSecrots
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,475
    Posts: 138
    Member
    Clericeru wrote: »
    Secrots wrote: »
    When progression depends more on rng than it does on player effort, there is a lot of dependency from the developers to keep failing. The more you fail, the more you keep playing. It gives an illusion of an active playerbase when realistically it's just a test of how much each player can put up with mentally.

    It's lazy design in every way.

    I can't help but feel this whole revamp could have been avoided if they just made it so the bonus attribute percents were static based on level of equip with a minor increase based on rarity.

    It's not lazy design. It's not good design. It's the leftovers from a p2w game that forces players to pay money to alleviate the frustration from RNG. I actually consider it pretty cunning to be honest. To extract money from people by frustrating them.

    I know our version doesn't have all the p2w elements, but you can clearly see this in the design of fishing and gathering. The whole RNG is to frustrate players more and more as they level up, and amazingly they have the solution in the form of auto-fishing and a gathering badge. How convenient for you.

    [Edit] Take a look at the fair fight nerf, or I guess I should call it the player damage nerf. People were bossing those monsters for the crystals. Now what are some people doing to get crystals? Fishing while at work or overnight. It's all about extracting money from players by hindering their ability to progress.

    I'm not a fan of the whole attribute system. I consider it to be rubbish.

    This isn't the kr version so it's not a good idea to put them on the same level. Their intentions were to remove as much p2w as possible. While they kept that promise, they have yet to fix the other huge issue with it, rng. By not actually nerfing it, they're fueling it, and players are leaving because of it.

    The only reason they're keeping it is because there isn't enough content to satisfy minmaxers afterwords. That isn't malicious, it's just lazy.
    XXPriestXX44
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Posts: 123
    Member
    Here's the player boost from the current update so far:

    8y8jbhy.jpg
  • KiymoriKiymori
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,205
    Posts: 335
    Member
    Eino wrote: »
    Here's the player boost from the current update so far:

    8y8jbhy.jpg

    As expected, now it's a question until how long till it falls and how low.
  • supermikysupermiky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,940
    Posts: 209
    Maple Guide
    That's strange, FF removal should've increased it by a little so why is it the same?
  • WaterfulWaterful
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 810
    Posts: 22
    Member
    edited 4:41AM March 3, 2019
    supermiky wrote: »
    That's strange, FF removal should've increased it by a little so why is it the same?

    It slow down the bleeding.
    They would need to do more for players to return, March Quality of Life Changes won't make the player return .
    Bulbasaur
  • NovuhzNovuhz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,425
    Posts: 107
    Member
    FairFight was not the reason why people quit in the first place, it was the RNG Progression tied together with Timegate.
    mirta000
  • GarlicBreadGarlicBread
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,035
    Posts: 273
    Member
    Novuhz wrote: »
    FairFight was not the reason why people quit in the first place, it was the RNG Progression tied together with Timegate.

    nah everyone had a different reason why they quit
  • mirta000mirta000
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,270
    Posts: 512
    Member
    Eino wrote: »
    Here's the player boost from the current update so far:

    8y8jbhy.jpg

    AQEfBWN.png

    Bump seems to be from about 1300-1500 peak to 1900-2000 peak with 900-800 being on low. As this topic was revived compared with December that would still see 8k peaks is... Wow.
    Novuhz wrote: »
    FairFight was not the reason why people quit in the first place, it was the RNG Progression tied together with Timegate.

    nah everyone had a different reason why they quit

    Speaking for myself and my friends and my guild, we did quit due to insane amount of RNG and the grind for upgrading. We were looking for a social game. Sure, you can still be social in MS2, but then you miss out on all the further story raids and dungeons as every raid and dungeon tier just requires higher and higher GS and the only way to achieve high GS is to painfully upgrade your previous GS, get new gear and start the painful process again. This game had a stronger gear treadmill than dedicated raiding MMOs did (FFXIV and WoW both wouldn't cost me as much time to keep up with the gear treadmill, due to skipping the RNG upgrading part), combine this with the fact that graphics, housing, UGC and music features would make you believe that you'll see close to none of the gear treadmill, this would have a highly decisive factor in probably a lot of the population that left.
  • WantSumCandyWantSumCandy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,565
    Posts: 49
    Member
    don't forget 3 major guilds were caught using hacks on NA West and got decimated for it... the same guilds that claimed removing FF would just make the game more p2w and people would sell more runs.

    I only see 3 run selling parties for dungeons and the rest are open-parties for anybody out of 4 pages.

    and the 3 run selling parties are selling for 2 chaos onyx which is literally nothing compared to what it was before.

    combined with major access to high end gear for just a few million and you have no issue reaching end-game gear now and you can actually enjoy the other contents.

    Beta is actually running normal dungeons now because those trophies are actually not a headache and worth the time investment now that FairFight is gone so formerly useless content is now seeing play.

    so despite NA west getting rekt in population by a good 200 people we're still doing much better. I've seen a major population change. at reset there is a major spike of 8000 ping due to the mass amount of people now on the servers via the nexon launcher.

    the game is no longer on deaths door but we still need the other quality of life and rng progression changes to come to truely revive the game to a point we wont have to worry about a dead game.

    after that Awakening Update (around July) will bring back thousands of players.