May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Why I Quit MapleStory 2

TabvaxTabvax
MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
Posts: 17
Member
in General Chat
Long post incoming, don't mean to sound ranty just giving honest opinions.

I've played MapleStory for roughly 11 years now. I've also played other MMOs such as FFXIV, WoW, Tera, RuneScape, and a few others, although none as much as MapleStory.

There are a few issues with MapleStory 2 that make it awful for the average player once they've gotten past how absolutely beautiful, unique, and how mechanically/gameplay fun the game is. And everything I'm about to say is geared at the average player. If you are someone who spends the majority of their time playing this game, or someone who only plays a few hours a week, these issues might not apply to you. But the average player who wants to keep up with content, who plays a fair bit throughout their average week, and wants to enjoy everything the game has to offer but doesn't need to finish everything 100% of the way.

1. Class Balancing
If you play Thief, and don't dedicate your life to this game, you might have noticed that you simply cannot compete with other classes that have similar gear to you. This is because thief is an incredibly difficult class to play. That's fine - every MMO needs one or two classes that are much more difficult to play than the others. The problem is that the difficulty needs rewarding damage output and needs to not be RNG based. Thieves are difficult, not rewarding, and RNG-based. A Wizard, Zerker, or Sin with similar gear will out-DPS a thief 100% of the time unless the thief lands almost every single Cunning Tactic proc instantly. Which will never happen. Even skilled thieves with the best gear in their group run the risk of being the lowest DPS in their group, even if they are skilled in the class, because the class relies almost entirely on landing CT procs exactly when you need it to. Extremely poor class design. There is no reason that a class that quite literally requires you to press one button (macro Wizards) should out-DPS (by MILES) a class that requires as much skill and luck (RNG) as Thief does. Even PRIESTS can out-DPS Thieves.

2. Money Making / Dungeons & Raids
I get it, combating bots is important. Ruining every single method of the average player making money (or new players in general, since most funded players made their money before these awful changes) is not the solution. This game is trying to be two things at once. MapleStory 1's RNG, grind, and progression, with FFXIV/WoW Raiding. This is a horrible combination. I watched an interesting YouTube video where someone said that MMO grinding needs to be one of two things. Extremely mindless grinding with rewards that take a long time to get, or extremely attention-heavy grinding (to learn mechanics and improve your skill) with high reward levels. MapleStory 2 is neither of these. It requires all of your attention to keep your DPS up and to learn the mechanics but you are never guaranteed anything you need. You can be the absolute fastest and best Lubelisk runner but you are never guaranteed a single drop. You can have the best CDev times and have the highest DPS but are never guaranteed what you need to progress to CMoc or CPap.

3. Combating Bots
Nexon, you have done an incredible job at stopping bots in this game compared to how you did in MapleStory 1. Seriously, kudos to everyone. But in the process you ruined the game for a lot of people. Account bound crystals ruins a lot of the game. Account bound epic gear ruins a lot of the game. Stopping meso spammers is 100% awesome. But everything else you've done to "combat bots" is just hurting the game for the real players. The solution isn't to just make things off-limits to bots because everything that is off-limits to bots immediately becomes off-limits to regular players.

4. Switching Classes (Ties in with #1)
Now that a lot of people are settling into their classes and doing job trophies, people are realizing that they might prefer another class over their chosen main. But because of the fact that trophies are character bound, exploration and quests are character bound, and worst of all ALL armor is character bound once equipped, it means you are losing quite literally everything (with the exception of maybe 150 trophies) you have put into a character to switch classes. Up until recently you could, at the very least, farm up some money or farm raids and dungeons to get and sell onyx or funds, but that's gone now, too. Now you quite literally have to start from scratch to switch characters. I understand Legendary Gear being character-bound, but Epics should be sellable/tradable/transferrable even after equipping them. Even people that just have been waiting for Soul Binder and want to switch are losing nearly everything they've worked for up until this point to do so. But hey, at least they get Lv.50 for free on it!

5. Everything outside of dungeons is not worth doing
There is a TON of fun content to do in this game outside of dungeons. But the problem is is that none of it rewards you even in the slightest. Once you hit 500 trophies it's not worth farming more. Even though guilds ask for some to stay high on leaderboards, it makes it feel like being in a "good" guild isn't worth the effort ("1k+ trophies required!"). This game forces players to worry too much on status and because of that it forces us to miss out on all of the actual fun content in the game. I have Sage medal (all quests) on my "main" and I LOVED doing it. But most people won't want to do that because it doesn't progress their character (maybe a bad example since some quests give trophies, but look at exploration goals for example.... Fun, unique mini-side quests, but not worth doing many of them).

Like I said, I love MapleStory. I love Nexon. It has had a huge impact on my life and I mean this entire message in a sincere and (hopefully) beneficial way. But this game is bad.

Up until about a week ago, I played every single day starting Day 1 of Head Start and I want to keep playing, but the game is such a demotivating circle of disappointment.
mewberiClericeruZZZzzzArSkulderMiehKarma93LemarsAlavien1TeSalvei
    No results for this poll

Comments

  • WiLBoYWiLBoY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,560
    Posts: 373
    Member
    I agree with some of the points you made which is rare on these forums. However, I disagree that thief is a class that has low damage. Some of the thieves I have ran with in all three raids have been able to dish out incredible damage with average gear.

    I do agree with points 2, 3, and 4.
    WittlePlushyKarma93
  • PurrtyLuckyPurrtyLucky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,215
    Posts: 34
    Member
    The heavy emphasis on dungeons and raiding is kind of why I'm not playing much anymore. I'm not skilled enough for the raids, so my progress came to a stop. Like you said, there is nothing farmable or rewarding outside of dungeons and raids, and almost nothing in the game is tradeable. You can't farm and buy good gear from the top players. The best you can do is buy a carry, which is risky and not very fun either. I just log in for the event quests and to check if any of my UGC sold.
    mewberiEinoClericeruMiehKarma93LemarsCaithe
  • CabreraCabrera
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 790
    Posts: 23
    Member
    Alright, thanks for playing the game, goodluck with whatever other game you play. In terms of the reasoning you gave, I call BS on reason 1, 2, 4 and 5. I agree with the bots, although they are trying to make things better. The changes they made did not affect normal players, name the reasons and ill dismantle your argument with ease, I have explained why in other posts but meh if u want to, go read em.

    Reason 1:
    Lmao if you think thief is weak buddy, just dont play it. I have seen actual pros play thief. If you know what your doing, you can out DPS players who have lower GS/Damage than you do and YES I am including the usual suspects for high dps such as Sin, Zerk, Wiz, etc. And no, its not because of RNG or the fact that they have high piercing/phy pierce/ bla bla bla, its because of the series of skill combos that you have to execute within a time frame to output maximum damage. Play characters that are easy, literally everything BUT thief is an easy class to play. It just takes practice to learn and figure out classes(thiefs included but takes longer in comparison)

    Reason 2:
    YIKES, in reason 3, you say you have the time to do the Sage quest cuz u enjoyed it, y not do something temporary that can last long? you can make a lvl 50 Alt in 1 day. If you Make 4 = Get Rich x4 = 1mill/ Dungeon Runs = 8 mill (Approx in 2 days) Totalling to 10 mill.

    4 Alts? I cant be bothered! Ill just quit!, Ok then you have so many things you can do, Farm Aurora lab/ Igloo hill for potion solvents, sell em for 10k each = YIKES, do the daily get rich alone = u get 250k, you do dungeon runs alone in 1 char = u get 2 mill in 2 days, now theres something new u can sell, Cornelian cherries (fckin 20k mate). So many things you can do to get mesos, I dont see that reasoning a viable aspect to quit in anyway.
    Dungeon Raids:
    YES it requires all your attention to focus on DPS, what do you wanna do? just put a heavy object on ur left mouse button and go afk while u hit a brainless boss? go play browser games then. If you wanna do dungeons, they have to be challenging, if they were easy, people would complain "its no fun", they already do that and now let alone make the boss do nothing just for you to achieve max DPS. What do you think people that get high damage in Cdev (for example) do?, they have to jump on to devlin at specific times, avoid shadows, pools and lasers and still keep up the DPS, the one that does that the best, gets the highest DPS. So yes, if its too challenging, wait for the cry babies who forced Nexon to provide a "normal mode" for Chaos raids to give legendaries for free if you cant attempt to improve in the game.
    Never guaranteed anything? Bruh, have you cleared the chaos raids/ hard dungeons at all? or na? if you got the wrong equip, you dismantle > you get frags> 30x frags(for chaos, 40x for hard) = sure equip of ur choice, now stop complaining about RNG, u atleast get the 3x set 250 bonus attack so RNG isnt a thing, there are basic requirements in terms of accuracy being 88+, piercing and phy pierce and boss damage to be at a minimum of 10%, all these can be obtained with ease without getting "GODLY RNG", if you still plan on debating on this feel free to do so, ill explain how it works for EACH EQUIPMENT if you think im wrong.

    Reason 4:
    Which soul binder did you even look at? Most soul binders you see around the game had prepared for weeks for the release, some of the people even had kanduras/varrekant wings/ all the epic dungeon gear boxes stored just to equip them into it. Thats being smart, not "realising they wanna switch". No class is useless in this game, all raids can have all the classes, its basically as the saying goes, "A bad workman blames his tools", your character is your tool, the user has the responsibility of using it well. You pick a goddam thief then get good or switch a class ASAP OR practice thief till you get the combos right, so many tutorials/guides to use thief effectively, go watch em.

    Reason 5:
    YIKES, lemme set this straight. I have 4 alts, today was the sky fortress update release, at no point of time did I complete all the work I needed to do to accomplish all the quests in my main.
    2x Faction dailies( which take around 2+ hours if you include the boss wait time)
    1x Dailly mission
    3x Cdev runs( you suck at it? go for practice runs) or do the normal ones which are ez AF.
    3x Cmoc runs(if you have the GS) same as above do the normal one if the hard is tough.
    15x dungeon runs( Now u get assured weapon type(murpagoth/Ancient/MSL/etc) of ur choice. (REEEEEEEEEEE i didnt get my weapon/armor for dupe enchant!? Use the toad crystals for enchant? you get enough to enchant at least 2 times watever ur enchant may be above +10 in comparison to the previously when if you failed 2x enchants at +14, you had to wait for a week for reset)
    Did all ur dungeon runs? good for u, more time to do your dailies then!
    So much to do now with end game and im fckin excited. Its all about perspective, Ive played so many MMOs, grindy AF ones too, im used to it so I enjoy this grind, this might be ur 1st MMO but meh, you either like it or leave it, cant blame u on that one.

    About Guilds, Why dafq do u wanna go for the top guilds? they want skillful players who can / have cleared Cdev/Cmoc/etc, and trophies are just a bonus, if you want a good guild? there are "social" ones that are actually good but not top of the rankings, join them? or look for them? you can surely find one if you look for it anyway.

    TL;DR,
    If you cant deal with the skill required or you refuse to learn/improve, no one can help you, if you think its not your cup of tea then yea goodluck with other games you play cuz those games would eventually reach to this kind of point. Meso sellers are a problem but, why would they exist if people didnt buy from them? thats more of the communities fault that the Mods or Nexon themselves. So, what should Nexon do? just make things drop 100% so there are no meso sellers?, then people reach endgame wayyyyy faster and complain about no end game material. Its a vicious cycle that will never end and sacrifices have to be made to make the game long/ fun. Thats all I have from my side and again, goodluck with whatever u do/ whatever game u play.
    FeifeiDuLima3241
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    Posts: 201
    Member
    edited 2:15PM December 7, 2018
    Tabvax wrote: »
    Up until about a week ago, I played every single day starting Day 1 of Head Start and I want to keep playing, but the game is such a demotivating circle of disappointment.

    I too started playing then. Unfortunately this game is nothing more than a chore for many at this stage

    I wish you all the best with whatever game you decide to enjoy.
    FrostZz
  • ZZZzzzZZZzzz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,550
    Posts: 160
    Member
    This game is not rewarding players. Game is totally RNG based and all the hard earned stuffs will be completely useless in the future updates. Also, personal skill means nothing, you need a group of 10 skilled players to run dungeon which is the most stupid setting
    Karma93FrostZz
  • justasomeonejustasomeone
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    Posts: 20
    Member
    edited 5:26AM December 8, 2018
    Tabvax wrote: »
    1. Class Balancing
    If you play Thief, and don't dedicate your life to this game, you might have noticed that you simply cannot compete with other classes that have similar gear to you. This is because thief is an incredibly difficult class to play. That's fine - every MMO needs one or two classes that are much more difficult to play than the others. The problem is that the difficulty needs rewarding damage output and needs to not be RNG based. Thieves are difficult, not rewarding, and RNG-based. A Wizard, Zerker, or Sin with similar gear will out-DPS a thief 100% of the time unless the thief lands almost every single Cunning Tactic proc instantly. Which will never happen. Even skilled thieves with the best gear in their group run the risk of being the lowest DPS in their group, even if they are skilled in the class, because the class relies almost entirely on landing CT procs exactly when you need it to. Extremely poor class design. There is no reason that a class that quite literally requires you to press one button (macro Wizards) should out-DPS (by MILES) a class that requires as much skill and luck (RNG) as Thief does. Even PRIESTS can out-DPS Thieves.

    Thief is weak? While I agree it takes skill to play, they are far from weak.. with equal gear compared to Zerk/Sin, they are top DPS lol

    Here's Leki doing 250mil dmg to cdev with purple weapons, 250mil!! even if you had better gear than him with the classes you mentioned, i doubt you will even do half his dmg.

  • MochiAiMochiAi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,315
    Posts: 307
    Member

    Thief is weak? While I agree it takes skill to play, they are far from weak.. with equal gear compared to Zerk/Sin, they are top DPS lol

    Here's Leki doing 250mil dmg to cdev with purple weapons, 250mil!! even if you had better gear than him, i doubt you will even do half his dmg.


    I don't know what the deal is with Thieves, not really informed enough about it. HOWEVER. Your 250m damage support video in cDev 4 men party with two DPS as thieves doesn't say much. Of course they are going to do 250m damage when they are the only ones doing damage to the bossy, yeah? Understoody?
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,315
    Posts: 307
    Member

    Thief is weak? While I agree it takes skill to play, they are far from weak.. with equal gear compared to Zerk/Sin, they are top DPS lol

    Here's Leki doing 250mil dmg to cdev with purple weapons, 250mil!! even if you had better gear than him, i doubt you will even do half his dmg.


    I don't know what the deal is with Thieves, not really informed enough about it. HOWEVER. Your 250m damage support video in cDev 4 men party with two DPS as thieves doesn't say much. Of course they are going to do 250m damage when they are the only ones doing damage to the bossy, yeah? Understoody?
  • justasomeonejustasomeone
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    Posts: 20
    Member
    edited 6:01AM December 8, 2018
    MochiAi wrote: »

    Thief is weak? While I agree it takes skill to play, they are far from weak.. with equal gear compared to Zerk/Sin, they are top DPS lol

    Here's Leki doing 250mil dmg to cdev with purple weapons, 250mil!! even if you had better gear than him, i doubt you will even do half his dmg.


    I don't know what the deal is with Thieves, not really informed enough about it. HOWEVER. Your 250m damage support video in cDev 4 men party with two DPS as thieves doesn't say much. Of course they are going to do 250m damage when they are the only ones doing damage to the bossy, yeah? Understoody?

    Obviously.. Im making the point that thieves aren't weak like OP is thinking. By his logic, 2 thieves wouldn't be able to clear Cdev S+.He literally said even Priest can out DPS a thief. Stop being a smart ass.
  • WallSeriesWallSeries
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,470
    Posts: 257
    Member
    MochiAi wrote: »

    Thief is weak? While I agree it takes skill to play, they are far from weak.. with equal gear compared to Zerk/Sin, they are top DPS lol

    Here's Leki doing 250mil dmg to cdev with purple weapons, 250mil!! even if you had better gear than him, i doubt you will even do half his dmg.


    I don't know what the deal is with Thieves, not really informed enough about it. HOWEVER. Your 250m damage support video in cDev 4 men party with two DPS as thieves doesn't say much. Of course they are going to do 250m damage when they are the only ones doing damage to the bossy, yeah? Understoody?

    Obviously.. Im making the point that thieves aren't weak like OP is thinking. By his logic, 2 thieves wouldn't be able to clear Cdev S+.He literally said even Priest can out DPS a thief. Stop being a smart ass.
    im pretty sure priests could do just about the same dps if not higher with the same gears...

  • justasomeonejustasomeone
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    Posts: 20
    Member
    edited 6:14AM December 8, 2018
    WallSeries wrote: »
    MochiAi wrote: »

    Thief is weak? While I agree it takes skill to play, they are far from weak.. with equal gear compared to Zerk/Sin, they are top DPS lol

    Here's Leki doing 250mil dmg to cdev with purple weapons, 250mil!! even if you had better gear than him, i doubt you will even do half his dmg.


    I don't know what the deal is with Thieves, not really informed enough about it. HOWEVER. Your 250m damage support video in cDev 4 men party with two DPS as thieves doesn't say much. Of course they are going to do 250m damage when they are the only ones doing damage to the bossy, yeah? Understoody?

    Obviously.. Im making the point that thieves aren't weak like OP is thinking. By his logic, 2 thieves wouldn't be able to clear Cdev S+.He literally said even Priest can out DPS a thief. Stop being a smart ass.
    im pretty sure priests could do just about the same dps if not higher with the same gears...

    I never said Priests are weak. I even saw a priest as top 3 DPS in a full 10 man raid in cdev. All I'm trying to show is that Thieves aren't weak like everyone makes it out to be. Everyone for some reason believes they are low tier DPS which isn't true at all.
  • mirta000mirta000
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,385
    Posts: 515
    Member
    I never said Priests are weak. I even saw a priest as top 3 DPS in a full 10 man raid in cdev. All I'm trying to show is that Thieves aren't weak like everyone makes it out to be. Everyone for some reason believes they are low tier DPS which isn't true at all.

    Priest is a support class. They do support levels of DPS. If you are outDPSed by a support class, either your DPS class is gimped, or you're playing DPS wrong, or the developers know nothing about propper balancing.
    FrostZz