Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Will names ever be re-released?

CinnaminiCinnamini
MapleStory 2 Rep: 985
in General Chat
Maybe it's too early to ask, maybe it isn't.
But I had a question about names being re-released
Kind of like World of Warcraft when alts aren't logged into for x amount of time, the name is given back to the public.
Will Maplestory 2 do that sort of thing too? Since there's a lot of names that are logged on Lv1 alts and probably won't be used...
What do you think?

Comments

• CasszuneCasszune
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,585
    I hope so. I went and bought the Legendary Founder's pack but someone beat me to reserving the name I wanted. I check the rankings from time to time and as enthusiastic as this person seemed to be, they still never even reached level cap. I guess they don't play anymore.

If the names were released I'd probably buy a name change from the cash shop.
    CinnaminiBaco
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    Hopefully they'll do this at least once a year or two, delete any Level 20 or lower names perhaps?
    Now would be too early but perhaps later next year?
    Cinnamini
  • MessMakerMessMaker
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 435
    Yeah, a lot of name hoarding happened. Most of the names I wanted are still on those lvl 1 characters.
    CinnaminiSherri
  • DilBertGreenDilBertGreen
    Way too early for this to even be thought about.
    CinnaminiEinoLofiVibes
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,435
    at the 1 year mark they should consider doing a wipe of all accounts sitting at lv 1 unplayed.

hell they can even use it as a money making opportunity, sell name reserves again.

at the 2 year mark, every account inactive for a whole 365 days should get their names wiped. Just don't put it on twitter so the inactive "My brand!" hogs don't flock back to log in once.
    CinnaminiSherri
  • CinnaminiCinnamini
    LuminaEdge wrote: »
    at the 1 year mark they should consider doing a wipe of all accounts sitting at lv 1 unplayed.

hell they can even use it as a money making opportunity, sell name reserves again.

at the 2 year mark, every account inactive for a whole 365 days should get their names wiped. Just don't put it on twitter so the inactive "My brand!" hogs don't flock back to log in once.

This is definitely something I hope doesn't happen.
    Also 'my brand!' that's a good one.
  • MiehMieh
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,230
    Well, do take into account that some of these level 1 characters may be just people playing their mains while waiting for Soul Binder or Striker to come out...
    I would only support this idea if they only wipe characters that are less than level 20 like someone said.

But I don't like @LuminaEdge 's idea, because I'm not sure if they mean killing off any account that hasn't logged in in a full year, no matter the level or progress they had accumulated... I'm extremely against this, as many people do come back to MMOs after such a long time, and having so much progress wiped out would make them quit instantly.
    Talnova
  • TalnovaTalnova
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,065
    Mieh wrote: »
    Well, do take into account that some of these level 1 characters may be just people playing their mains while waiting for Soul Binder or Striker to come out...
    I would only support this idea if they only wipe characters that are less than level 20 like someone said.

But I don't like @LuminaEdge 's idea, because I'm not sure if they mean killing off any account that hasn't logged in in a full year, no matter the level or progress they had accumulated... I'm extremely against this, as many people do come back to MMOs after such a long time, and having so much progress wiped out would make them quit instantly.

Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if I took a break and when I came back my main had it's name taken. It would be fine if it was a low level alt though to prevent name hording though.

I mean... I guess maybe if I didn't log in for like 3 or 4 years. But even 1 year is pretty short in terms of breaks, I don't know how many times I have quit games like wow for a year or two then come back.
    Mieh
  • CinnaminiCinnamini
    Talnova wrote: »

Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if I took a break and when I came back my main had it's name taken. It would be fine if it was a low level alt though to prevent name hording though.

I mean... I guess maybe if I didn't log in for like 3 or 4 years. But even 1 year is pretty short in terms of breaks, I don't know how many times I have quit games like wow for a year or two then come back.

I'd also be super sad if I lost my main, I mean, if the character is Lv1, hasn't been touched in a year and a half(?)+ I'm not sure what prompts WoW's name releases
    Just kidding, I checked and most places say every two expansions so that's like 2-3+ years at a time
    I still wouldn't mind even if it took that long for some names to get released back to be used again.
    TalnovaHeimerdinger
  • TalnovaTalnova
    It would be nice to eventually force people who made characters with a rare name on every single server to be forced to either level those characters to 50 or have them deleted. I don't think name hording on ur home server is a problem, but some people are hording multiple names on multiple servers that they never even intend to play, just because they want to be the "only one"
  • ZintackZintack
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,530
    edited 10:06PM December 3, 2018
    If we were picking, I honestly think something like league or legends name immunity would be okay? Maybe the time and levels can be adjusted?
    Based on when you played your last game and what your level is, you’ll have a period of immunity from name clean ups. Every name will initially be given 6 months of immunity and then granted one additional month for each level above level 6.
    For example:
    Levels 1-6: 6 months of inactivity immunity
    Level 12: 1 year of immunity
    Level 20: 1 year, 8 months of immunity
    Level 30: 2 years, 6 months of immunity
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    LuminaEdge wrote: »
    Just don't put it on twitter so the inactive "My brand!" hogs don't flock back to log in once.
    I don't think you should just NOT announce a plan / change like that because honestly that seems like a scummy thing to do, imo. :S Imagine if you went inactive for a bit and they just implemented that so you come back to a random name, yikes.
    There will definitely be people that 'flock back' as soon as you announce any type of name change thing. No matter how you do it though, imo.
    If they decide to wipe people at a certain level = they will level it and then get off OR if they decide to wipe after a certain period of inactivity = they will log in/log out.
    Or playing on their main because they have limited play time and can't rapid fire level up all their alts. I'm sure people that do this might have some "rare" names for alts but that doesn't mean they don't plan to play on them ever. hopefully?
    Also, I'm not really sure how some of these comments that check the character know that they aren't the mains alt? ~which could be a reason why some don't seem as active anymore. Though that might not always be the case and could actually be an inactive player now.
    Talnova wrote: »
    It would be nice to eventually force people who made characters with a rare name on every single server to be forced to either level those characters to 50 or have them deleted. I don't think name hording on ur home server is a problem, but some people are hording multiple names on multiple servers that they never even intend to play, just because they want to be the "only one"
    I have my short (3 letter) name (idk about "rare" though) on all servers. I probably don't plan to max them out (got a few levels on them and one at 40) but I really only use them to sell ugc on that server while still having it under my mains name from my main server.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anyways, I can still see why someone would get upset over someone taking a name especially if it's not that persons main or they don't play anymore on it because I'm sure someone more active would make better use of it / be happier with the name they wanted.

*Tbh though... going along with what I said above: If they did do it, I feel like a good amount of the people who wanted name returns are literally gonna turn into the people they were crying about/getting mad about. As in, I got the name, I go inactive but now I'm gonna log in every 300 days so it never gets taken away from me, hurhur.[/]

SherriMieh
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,435
    edited 12:06AM December 4, 2018
    the idea was mostly half baked but honestly i think something could/should be done about the name holders who arent using the characters at level 1.

People who quit but kept playing to some meaningful extent can keep their chars. Also the twitter thing was me being spiteful towards the name sellers tbh.

Also any sort of name wipe shouldn't involve deletion. just a free name change for those wiped. Realistically speaking, it should work like the one Maplestory 1 already did Just with a 1 year time period instead of 2 year.
    Cinnamini
  • HeimerdingerHeimerdinger
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,870
    edited 7:18PM December 4, 2018
    good call

it be like a brand new game the amount of names released in 1 year lol
    Talnova
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    edited 7:31PM December 4, 2018
    Way too early. The game is 2 months old.

WoW releases inactive names roughly every 2 years.

MapleStory 1 did it after 8 years.
    MiehTalnova
  • TalnovaTalnova
    Zintack wrote: »
    I have my short (3 letter) name (idk about "rare" though) on all servers. I probably don't plan to max them out (got a few levels on them and one at 40) but I really only use them to sell ugc on that server while still having it under my mains name from my main server.

Yeah I guess that is a fair reason for it. Maybe one day they will add in cross server, so you don't need to have a character on every server.

Also I understand the people who have characters to reserve names on US East and US West, but it's more like the people who have it on every single server, even though they never plan to use that character. But honestly, if they care enough to log on it once in a while to prevent it from being deleted with everyone else's unplayed characters, I guess they deserve it anyway. /shrug

Zintack