Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

Why I Quit Maplestory 2 (W/ Suggestions for Nexon)

LotizLotiz
MapleStory 2 Rep: 850
Posts: 31
Member
edited 2:06PM November 16, 2018 in General Chat
Before I get into the meat and bones of this post, let me preface by saying I did enjoy my time on Maplestory 2 and I don't blame others who are still having fun with it. I believe the game has tons of potential and I really do want to see it succeed, but it has some fundamental problems that should be addressed in order to help it to succeed.
The way I will lay this post out is by listing out a reason I quit, and then proposing a possible suggestion to Nexon around this issue. I encourage you guys to include your feedback on this thread or make your own thread! Please understand that this is my own opinion and in no way represents the Maplestory 2 community as a whole. So without further ado...

Reason 1: Gated Content
Suggestion: First of all, what I mean by gated content is not a "physical" gate, but rather a "why the hell would I do this" gate. In the current system, players are basically encouraged to only participate in the two hard dungeons that drop their duplicate weapon because of how the system currently works. This effectively cuts off the content for many players into 1/3 when progressing from 2100 to 4500 Gearscore. One thing I've learned playing many MMORPGs is that making any content irrelevant is never a good thing. My suggestion here is pretty simple. Allow players to use duplicates from other dungeons to enhance their weapon, thus making all dungeons much more viable to run. As an owner of a Murpagoth weapon, I found myself constantly running the same 2 dungeons non-stop. Because we have a weekly limit on top of this, the game almost forces us into doing these specific dungeons.

Reason 2: Elitism
Suggestion: Now I'm not saying this is by any means Nexon's fault, but I think that there are ways that they can better close the gap between newer players and elite players. Many people have complained that the new Chaos Raids are too hard for people who did not play KMS 2 before the release of GMS 2 and that Elite players are hiding strategies from new players in order to keep a power gap between them and others. This is a community problem but there are some changes Nexon can make to relieve this issue. My suggestion here is to add difficulties into the Chaos Raids. Normal, Hard, and Nightmare. Normal would be a viable option for a PUG group and would grant the lowest chance at Legendary gear (or perhaps offer a slightly reduced version of Legendary gear). Hard would be a viable option for a well equipped guild that understands all the mechanics of the raid but has some imperfections in their runs. And Nightmare would be for the hardcore guilds to reap the highest drop rates of legendary gear. This would allow newer players to still clear the raids but suffer from lower drop chances or lesser gear.

Reason 3: Lack of Things to Do
Suggestion: I get it, you think there's a lot to do in the game. But when it comes down to it, there's really not. What I've noticed watching streamers who run long streams is that they run out of things to do on their main character and begin to improvise on an alt character to keep the stream running. Past your dungeon runs (which can get stale real quick), life skills, maybe tinkering with your house a bit, daily quests, and farming trophies, there's not a whole lot to the game. Anyone who has played something such as WoW before understands that there could be much more to do in Maplestory 2. My suggestion firstly, is to add a large PvP side of the game to players. And I don't mean what KMS 2 currently has. I mean open world pvp, 3v3 arena pvp, guild wars, and make it rewarding. In KMS 2, the class balance in PvP is atrocious so that's something that would need to be addressed as well. I think introducing a lot of fun PvP options to the game would add so much to do. Also I think Nexon should add a system into the game that rewards players for being social and encourages them to talk to each other in towns (Similar to the Fame system in Maplestory).

Reason 4: Gear Viability
Suggestion: I'll keep this one short. Most offensive gear stats are pretty useless aside from a few, and defensive stats on gear are absolute garbage. My suggestion here is to make certain classes scale better off of certain stats to provide some variety.

Reason 5: The Inevitable Takeover of Nexon
Suggestion: Anyone who has played Nexon's games knows the life cycle of these games. They will tell you that there will be no pay to win. Eventually the game burns out and the population drops, Nexon implements pay to win to milk every last dollar of the games dying breaths. My suggestion is, just don't implement pay to win. I don't see it happening anytime soon but if the game begins to dwindle out, be prepared.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading!
OneConfusedMilletianNimio
  1. Is Maplestory 2 becoming stale for you?71 votes
    1. Yes
       62% (44 votes)
    2. No
       38% (27 votes)

Comments

  • XenociderOmegaXenociderOmega
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,790
    Posts: 401
    Member
    edited 2:15PM November 16, 2018
    Your reason number two is complete BS. There are guides for almost everything in this game and stop acting like top players are obligated to help anyone.
    DragonicWolfKyuukeiTseneMintyliciousUltralan
  • PurrtyLuckyPurrtyLucky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,215
    Posts: 34
    Member
    I hate raiding in general, and with all the effort it takes to organize and get the people to run a raid I sure wouldn't want to get "lesser" gear for my efforts. You think being able to run an easier version of the raid and get lesser gear compared to everybody else will make you feel better? The gap that currently exists would still be there.

    Improved progression leading up to raids is probably a better solution, and beyond that lots of practice for the player. The mechanics are not that complex. I feel like groups are mainly held back by gear and lag.
    KyuukeiOneConfusedMilletianCariseiDanDK
  • ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    Posts: 201
    Member
    This game is simply do normal dungeons in order to do hard dungeons. Then do hard dungeons in order to do chaos raids. Then do chaos raids to... There's just not enough real content.
    DragonicWolfUlukiniLotizidontreallyknowmanMeso_ManDanDK
  • tekkentekken
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 550
    Posts: 12
    Member
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    ILLyasvirLotiz
  • WhyWhyWhyWhy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,270
    Posts: 75
    Member
    tekken wrote: »
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    Define Weapon you can.t use? not even a single piercing weapon? if you are aiming double piericng , you are min maxing and expect perfection , thats just entitlement . you can use any piercing + any viable stats weapon just as well .

    but enchantment is indeed an issue , they really need to either fix peachy or let weapon fodder for each other
  • tekkentekken
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 550
    Posts: 12
    Member
    WhyWhy wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    Define Weapon you can.t use? not even a single piercing weapon? if you are aiming double piericng , you are min maxing and expect perfection , thats just entitlement . you can use any piercing + any viable stats weapon just as well .

    but enchantment is indeed an issue , they really need to either fix peachy or let weapon fodder for each other

    yeah i try double piercing
  • hotslimehotslime
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 220
    Posts: 2
    Member
    Today we have lost Lotiz, a dear Mapler who shall NOT be forgotten. The Maple world will never be the same without Mr. Lotiz. RIP!
  • VixroVixro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,380
    Posts: 228
    Member
    tekken wrote: »
    WhyWhy wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    Define Weapon you can.t use? not even a single piercing weapon? if you are aiming double piericng , you are min maxing and expect perfection , thats just entitlement . you can use any piercing + any viable stats weapon just as well .

    but enchantment is indeed an issue , they really need to either fix peachy or let weapon fodder for each other

    yeah i try double piercing

    Then your statement is flawed because it's not that you "cant" use the weapon it's that you dont want to because you want double piercing which you dont even need but want.
    Kyuukei
  • NahoNaho
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,850
    Posts: 182
    Member
    Vixro wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    WhyWhy wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    Define Weapon you can.t use? not even a single piercing weapon? if you are aiming double piericng , you are min maxing and expect perfection , thats just entitlement . you can use any piercing + any viable stats weapon just as well .

    but enchantment is indeed an issue , they really need to either fix peachy or let weapon fodder for each other

    yeah i try double piercing

    Then your statement is flawed because it's not that you "cant" use the weapon it's that you dont want to because you want double piercing which you dont even need but want.

    And i'll add to that , again , since i'm saying it on many thread , if you can't get double piercing then just get piercing and something else , then go get your physical piercing with neck and gloves and guild buffs , considering you only need both for raids ... Literally every good guide would tell you too
  • OddieASDFOddieASDF
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,580
    Posts: 52
    Member
    Vixro wrote: »
    Then your statement is flawed because it's not that you "cant" use the weapon it's that you dont want to because you want double piercing which you dont even need but want.
    If he doesn't go for double piercing, he'll most likely find difficulty when finding raid parties and/or completing them. Gear optimization is a real thing in this game, either you have it maxed out or it's garbage.
    LotizCariseiDanDK
  • tekkentekken
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 550
    Posts: 12
    Member
    Naho wrote: »
    Vixro wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    WhyWhy wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    Define Weapon you can.t use? not even a single piercing weapon? if you are aiming double piericng , you are min maxing and expect perfection , thats just entitlement . you can use any piercing + any viable stats weapon just as well .

    but enchantment is indeed an issue , they really need to either fix peachy or let weapon fodder for each other

    yeah i try double piercing

    Then your statement is flawed because it's not that you "cant" use the weapon it's that you dont want to because you want double piercing which you dont even need but want.

    And i'll add to that , again , since i'm saying it on many thread , if you can't get double piercing then just get piercing and something else , then go get your physical piercing with neck and gloves and guild buffs , considering you only need both for raids ... Literally every good guide would tell you too

    u said it, i need both for raids
  • NahoNaho
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,850
    Posts: 182
    Member
    tekken wrote: »
    Naho wrote: »
    Vixro wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    WhyWhy wrote: »
    tekken wrote: »
    over 51 weapons from FD i cant use.
    they dont have the stats i needed, i mean, i search 5-15min + 10-25min to kill the boss (FD) and loot nothing to upgrade my eq. so I ask myself "why i play this game, should i quit and play a other game?"

    Define Weapon you can.t use? not even a single piercing weapon? if you are aiming double piericng , you are min maxing and expect perfection , thats just entitlement . you can use any piercing + any viable stats weapon just as well .

    but enchantment is indeed an issue , they really need to either fix peachy or let weapon fodder for each other

    yeah i try double piercing

    Then your statement is flawed because it's not that you "cant" use the weapon it's that you dont want to because you want double piercing which you dont even need but want.

    And i'll add to that , again , since i'm saying it on many thread , if you can't get double piercing then just get piercing and something else , then go get your physical piercing with neck and gloves and guild buffs , considering you only need both for raids ... Literally every good guide would tell you too

    u said it, i need both for raids

    ??????
  • WhyWhyWhyWhy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,270
    Posts: 75
    Member
    edited 4:03PM November 16, 2018
    Physical or magical piercing can be easily obtain via other way , Treva Glove gives 5.4% , guild buff 3% and guild potion 5 percent , just these 3 gives u a total of 13.4 percent , you just need to fletch the rest from accessory
  • ZZZzzzZZZzzz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,550
    Posts: 160
    Member
    edited 7:06PM November 16, 2018
    Your reason number two is complete BS. There are guides for almost everything in this game and stop acting like top players are obligated to help anyone.

    Couldn't find any English guide for Dark Descent floor 15 plus
    Also no gem farming and upgrading guide.
    LotizDanDK
  • TabvaxTabvax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
    Posts: 17
    Member
    edited 7:11PM November 16, 2018
    My only issue with the game right now is that MapleStory is not a raiding game. It is a grinding game.

    The raids are fun. But also not what people came to MapleStory 2 for.

    I disagree with everything else you said except #1. I like that, I hate having Lubelisk & Tris mules only because my main is a Murp user.
    YaupCarisei
  • rawmilkrawmilk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 585
    Posts: 22
    Member
    I agree this game has so much potential but it's going to waste. They should have taken more time if they needed to and added a lot more content and changed it up from what KMS2 was before they released it. They should have known a lot of their players would be expecting something similar to MS1 (grinding).

    Some suggestions:

    1) Half the skills are useless. Make them useful by introducing dungeons/content that requires AoE skills or other mechanics. Right now it's all single target DPS.
    2) All the maps/monsters are useless..so much gone to waste. Buff the monsters, increase level cap (I know they will) and bring optional grinding back.
    3) Give unique drops to monsters/increase mesos dropped so people can farm them for money, equipment, etc.
    4) Bring wholesome PvP (like you said) with rewards, etc, maybe separate PvP armor/weps.
    5) Bring party quests or some other interesting dungeons (that don't require much combat) but have puzzles or something. And give unique rewards like outfits etc so people can farm them with friends.
    6) The life skills, fishing, music etc seem useless. Music I liked but they should add more things to these life skills/performances. Increase the levels/rewards, introduce ranking, maybe some craftable music/items that require rare materials etc. I know alchemy/crafting is useful but they can make them all so much better.

    7) Definitely make all epic weapons from dungeons able to sacrifice into your own (regardless of murpa etc) this is a good suggestion you made and i've seen it from others too.
    8) dungeon cap is increased/reset button, so that issue is fixed in my opinion.
    9) Increase drop chance of B4 keys substantially, and change the dungeon so everyone needs their own B4 key to open chest. No more scammers and more ppl can access B4.

    10) The side quests were useless. Introduce some challenging/engaging side quest chain with good story. Keep building on it and introduce some new progression or cosmetic stuff. And keep adding to the chain every month or 2.

    11) Adding to PvP, i would love something like Faction-based PvP (it can fit in the lore or not). They can organize events and have rankings etc. Or like you said, 3v3, 10v10. Tournaments etc.

    12) When I realized what we have now is 1.5 years of content...that was a big red flag. A lot of people have already completed all the content. So maybe they need to slow the progression down (not by hindering enchants etc) but by releasing the updates more slowly and introducing other stuff in between (which i know they acknowledged and are working on but who knows what they come up with).

    13) Introduce more social activities that people can do. I like the McKay's events but unless u just enjoy straight up talking to people and socializing that way...there's not much to do together other than dungeons/raids.


    They can do so much with what MS2 is.

    Look at runescape, oldschool runescape now has 100k+ concurrent players (peaked at 150k+ i think) because of Mobile.
    There's still that much demand for a game like runescape. Which is and will be my all time favorite MMO.

    The amount of content in runescape....no MMO even comes close.

    Everything in runescape is meaningful/rewarding. Every quest, every skill, every monster, every part of the map, every NPC. And literally at every level, even at max.


    LotizOneConfusedMilletianDanDK
  • KhalykKhalyk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,400
    Posts: 128
    Member
    While I disagree with most of your points, you posed them in a calm and logical manner unlike some others which I can respect. So lets jump into it.

    1: While I can actually agree with part of your point because there are few reasons to go with anything but Murp, I will disagree with pointing out where the symptom stemmed from. The symptom stemmed from Nexon NA listening to people already start crying about the RNG grind. To help vastly speed up the grind for Chaos Raids they basically rolled every passive bonus into every weapon. At that point why would anyone work on anything other than the overall best passive? Now the other factor that I think played a large part in this is they werent waiting enough time between patches, If they spaced out patches by maybe a month between each, so theoretically hitting Chaos Raids the beginning of month 3 everyone would be in a much better spot gear wise and not feel so crunched.

    2: I whole heartedly disagree with this point. You dont even have to look very hard for information by just typing in "Maplestory 2 tips" on youtube or just read the stickied threads and top posts on the subreddit... Heck there is even a meme on the sub about how happy people that listened to all the tips a KSM2 player posted on how to get ready for Chaos Raids are... It is not players duty to go out of their way to make sure you know how to optimally play the game, that should be something every player is researching on their own. Or just not worry about min/maxing and go at your own pace.

    3: I think this is more a symptom again of the advanced patch rate we are experiencing to catch up to Korea, everyone is so focused on the hard push for gear score that the community hasnt really had a moment to gel. Dont get me wrong Ive seen here and there people running personal events, pvp arena's, etc from their homes, but these are few and far between as everyone's focus is ever driving forward.

    4: This is a point I can get on board with even more so with just clarity around what each stat does.

    5: Perhaps... Although Ive dealt with Trion Worlds so it will be a hard sell to convince me anyone is more willing to drive a game straight into the ground through monetization more so than them.
    Lotiz
  • XenociderOmegaXenociderOmega
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,790
    Posts: 401
    Member
    edited 6:24AM November 17, 2018
    ZZZzzz wrote: »
    Your reason number two is complete BS. There are guides for almost everything in this game and stop acting like top players are obligated to help anyone.

    Couldn't find any English guide for Dark Descent floor 15 plus
    Also no gem farming and upgrading guide.

    Dark Descent is competition so I wouldn't share with people how to you get ahead of me.
    For the jems you really haven't been looking then took me 10 seconds to go to youtube and find 3 videos
  • ZZZzzzZZZzzz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,550
    Posts: 160
    Member
    edited 12:57PM November 17, 2018
    Dark Descent is competition so I wouldn't share with people how to you get ahead of me.
    For the jems you really haven't been looking then took me 10 seconds to go to youtube and find 3 videos

    For Dark Descent. People wont share experience. This is what the original poster was complaining about in reason 2. Experienced players want to keep the gap between newbies. You supported his opinion.
    For the gem, I googled Maplestory 2 gemstone farming. Two of the top 3 from searching result are from KMS2 and CMS2. The other one left is just a basic introduction of gemstone.
    Carisei
  • LotizLotiz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 850
    Posts: 31
    Member
    Thanks for sharing your opinions and ideas guys. The poll I included in the thread is definitely pointing towards a lot of people becoming bored of the game. I hope they listen to some of our ideas!
    OneConfusedMilletian