Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

[SUGGESTIONS] Mouse+Keyboard Suggestions

Comments

• WulfieWulfie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 305
    I think it should work exactly like an Isometric camera-angle styled RPG game should.. ala Diablo 3.

In Diablo 3 you can click to move and click on a target with Mouse1 to perform an attack. You can hold down a button and cast spells at your mouse's location and they will be cast at said location. Even if not holding down said button, if you press a key whilst your mouse is hovered over an enemy, a spell is cast at that enemy.

Despite the current issues with M+KB settings, I still use it. Though it is very difficult to get over it's short-comings and movement would be MUCH more fluid if the Diablo-style movement is adopted here. It would easily become my most played game and allow me to perform at the level I am used to.
    Mastagarwar
  • OffendedVOffendedV
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 250
    edited 11:23AM November 11, 2018
    Hello, first off thanks for fixing the "hold on" and farming mouse click issues so fast [thumbsup]. The mouse controls have some more important issues than UX though. They are broken in many instances, so here's a list of issues I've seen and some ways to fix them. Before thinking about interaction, it would be nice to fix all interactions ;)

From most important to least :
    - Dungeon and map "holes". Some maps and many dungeons require you to walk into holes. For example the 2 train dungeons where you need to fall to a lower level, or Fire Dragon where you need to hide in holes. The way you raycast mouse clicks doesn't take into account these holes, which means its super difficult to fall in a hole. How to fix : Add invisible collider boxes or planes on map holes, which will contribute to mouse raycasts. When you click a hole, detect it, raycast (or project) orthogonally downward to the next map collider underneath. That is where the player wants to go.

- Wall click interactions are finicky. These are case by case and probably require multiple solutions. Please focus on the second phase of FD when trying to jump on side walls. It is super difficult.

- Moving platforms and ladders don't collide. Many maps have moving platforms, or interactive objects which you need to walk on. Your mouse raycasts just don't hit those at all. Please turn on mouse collision on those objects. This means you need to use keyboard arrows to move onto moving platforms. For ladders, you should be able to enter interaction with them from the sides.

- In your home, the bottom layer of blocks doesn't contribute to mouse click collisions. It means you need to construct a whole second floor of blocks if you want to use your mouse in furnishing mode.

- In your home's second floor or higher, clicking blocks while in furnishing mode is broken and usually selects a block "higher up" than the one you want. This is probably a bug related to the camera angle being different than usually. Your screen space to world space projection probably needs to account for that camera angle.

And now for some ideas how to make mouse mode better. Just FYI, I play with moba style of controls (dota 2, league). Mouse click to move, qwerasdf for spells. It is great. I see 2 main routes for mouse clicks.

1) What does right-click do? I honestly don't remember last time I used it. So, use right-click to move, left click to interact/attack. Special actions on things you can attack, "hold on" for example, should either be double-click or a keybord action key. I would like this better than solution 2.

or

2) Left-click to move, double-click to interact and enable rebinding right-click. This fixes movement vs. interaction issues, though might add some delay to left click to give time for double-click detect (as I'm sure you know). Rebinding right-click will let us fix some of the quirks of the mouse control scheme.

If I were you, I'd take a look at diablo, path of exile and torchlight to see how they do it. I'd also take a look at dota 2 and league of legends. Those games have nailed down mouse + keyboard movement in a isometric playing field. Good day and thanks for taking the time to read :) MS 2 is awesome, that's why we complain XD

edit : Oh and I forgot, please consider a "hardware mouse" settings. The mouse lag is always disturbing, especially when the game fps drops in big battles. Ty!
    MastagarwarAdartaer
  • WishYouWouldArcherWishYouWouldArcher
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 525
    edited 8:40PM November 11, 2018
    I literally only play archer. So please take this from the #1 Archer fan.

Please make archers auto target. The arrow aim is useless and we need this fixed. Also why cant you just make it to where we can rotate the camera?
    Also Please add a attack move command and make archers able to move while using skills. Thanks in advanced.

Also I think an entire rework of archer skills needs to be done. There are literally two skills to do damage and it gets quite boring.
    Adartaer
  • Agent_DragonfuryAgent_Dragonfury
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 960
    Please implement zone-based movement when dragging left-click to allow for precise and easy control over turning the character (without moving), walking, and running. Refer to the below diagram:
    SlM5aHJ.jpg
    Adartaer
  • KiwanoKiwano
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 640
    edited 7:24AM November 14, 2018
    General feedback:
    As a long-term player of isometric games, I am absolutely used to mouse/keyboard controls. Games that offer keyboard controlled gameplay, however, allow me to play on a notebook while on the road, sitting, lying, or with a gamepad the same way as at a desktop.
    The problem is input devices affect player performance. While you can do practically the same on a keyboard as with a gamepad as long as movement is limited to 8 directions, a mouse is faster, more precise, and more versatile. In pve the difference is usually negligible but in pvp the advantages become more noticeable the more the mouse support matures. As such, overall I would prefer if Nexon pushed players further towards keyboard-only controls.
    Adartaer
  • DalsetDalset
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,325
    Currently, clicking causes you to move on button release, but I think an option to set it to set it to 'on button press' would help a lot. this would fix moving around randomly when closing menus ( You release LMB after clicking the X on a menu, causing you to click on the ground. ) a 'force stop movement' keybind would also be tremendously helpful for mouse users. I don't know how many times I've tried to quickly mount up, only to have to try and click around my characters feet to stop moving. ( Being able to cast mounts while moving would be a solution as well. )
  • NoxilNoxil
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 460
    edited 4:29AM November 15, 2018
    So this topic to me is a HUGE deal since I play w/ mouse and keyboard, I may play a little different though...

I use WASD to move, and rebound skills to my mouse buttons ( 2 on the side, and middle mouse down ) 3 key total...
    I use space to jump, alt to spam talk to npc's, Z to mount up...

When the 'use mouse controls' is turned on, you can click to move... so for starters to better explain what that option does... is CLICK TO MOVE, not 'use mouse controls' since when it is unchecked you can still use the 2 side buttons and middle mouse for skills as before...

What I would LOVE to see, is when this feature is off, since you can't click to move.. I want to rebind left and right click to hotkeys for skills. This seems to me like a quick easy coding to implement.

1. TLDR; Make left/right click hotkeyable. ( very do-able )

Another thought...
    my play-style came from a game called battlerite... its similar in the sense that it's... moba style characters pvp using SKILL-SHOT combat.
    In Maple, we have DIRECTIONAL BASED SHOTS, which creates a little bit of a clunkyness to its combat...( due to 8-direction, then auto-aim )

^ it's this reason I'm worried about the games PVP future... one is fluid and has more skill built into it... and maple just has more movement/skill issues when it comes down to how seamless it can feel.

-Skill-shots combat> Aim your cursor to where you want to use a skill. when you use a skill, your character will turn to the direction of the cursor, and use that skill. ( 360 degree aim, possible auto aim after )
    -Directional combat> Uses a skill in the direction your facing. ( 8-directions then auto aim )

( honestly, Battlerite is free-2-play on steam, download and go to practice to see mechanics)

to me it isn't much of a mouse/keyboard thing as it is a cursor coding/gameplay changer.. but it helps when trying to aim skills A LOT easier...
    I haven't tried controller yet, but it seems it's easier for them to flip in the exact direction they want to run/use skill compared to keyboard input which only has 8 different options to start from, then auto-aim kicks in and fine tunes different angle...

2. TLDR; skill-shot combat > directional combat ( opinion )

Thanks for reading and trying to understand my broken thoughts, I think you get how this can help not only a quick fix, but potentially a deeper mechanic that we want in the future of this game... PVP.

GG so far, keep it up Nexon !

• remsrems
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    sometimes when you click/hold/doubleclick, something happens and your char just wants to get to that point and does not want to cancel the action even if you press the direction keys which really should have priority over mouse clicks. A fix would be nice!
    Mastagarwar
  • ArkeyArkey
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,135
    I haven't had any issues with the mouse and keyboard aside from a few minor inconveniences. My brother insists on playing maplestory 2 like diablo and gets killed left and right and unable to even do the most simplest dodges in FD and yet he's still being stubborn about it. Why not adapt to just WASD like how most MMOs are played? You can't hide in FD holes during attacks if you click because you'll go in and bounce straight out half the time due to the auto pathing but you have pretty decent control if you use use your keyboards. The mouse isn't even necessary to play aside from clicking options. You are fully capable of doing any dungeon with just your left hand and your right hand is free to scroll through memes on your phone.

WASD to move, shift for dash, z for mount, x balloon, c for airmount, ` for combo macro, 1234 for potions and buff skills. Q for costless attack, e and r for the 2 other attacks that you rotate between. In most classes thats all that you need for maximum dps output. Like flame tornado and flame wave.
  • AsukaLSAsukaLS
    Cast on mouse cursor. I mean if you had been paying attention to this forum you would have seen the NUMEROUS threads about it. also more flexible keybinds would be nice
    Mastagarwar
  • MastagarwarMastagarwar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    Any updates on this?

I'm tired of KB/M being not even near as competitive as the other two control modes...
  • NoxilNoxil
    Im agree with Mastagarwar, Mouse.Keyboard topic, when is the followup to this topic? we need somthing... minimum I wanna be able to bind left/right click to skills/actions... but what's going on with this topic? @Nexon
    Mastagarwar
  • MastagarwarMastagarwar
    Any updates on this?

I'm tired of KB/M being not even near as competitive as the other two control modes...

Anything?

Luckily another game I play is coming out soon. Hopefully when I come back to MS2 the KB/Mouse controls will be less... poorly designed.
  • NoxilNoxil
    Almost been a month now, Im hoping keyboard+mouse gets update soon, they are releasing pvp which are saying is 'purely' skill based....
    ( and because us keyboard+mouse users have limits... well it's not the best time to release somthing directly competitive IMO)

My guess is that autoaim has to be in pvp, . If not.... then controller users will have the bigger pvp edge since a joystick moving their character can aim in 360 direction whereas WASD or any 4-key movement user only has 8 directions...

PLEASE SCRAP CLICK TO MOVE, It has movement flaws, ex jumping in a hole for a FD laser.

F1 F2 F3 F4, <-- longer less needed keys
    1234 <-- pots maybe some skills
    QERF <-- fairly active skills
    WASD <-- movement
    Z <-- mount
    X- pickup
    SPACE - Jump
    Alt - interact
    CTRL- basic atk / mouse sprint
    left/right click - ( should be main actively used skills )
    side 2x buttons/middle mouse or any other mouse keys you have, free slots

^ that's what I use and it works GREAT.

If in the next 2 weeks we hear/see nothing im going to 3rd party remap my left/right click. this is long overdue.. unless they are revamping somthing big. Otherwise, I know that I can make it work in minutes remapping 4 keys. ;(

Mastagarwar
  • YitzhakYitzhak
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 860
    I think I speaks for most players here, make your character stop walking when you not holding the mouse button, it makes sometimes the character walking against my will, and you cant do anything about it is so buggy, just make him stop walking whenever you no longer hold the mouse button.

if people want to 1press to go a place then make it, but if someone hold the key for over 1sec then make the character stop walking whenever you no longer pressing the key.

oh and, the mouse and keyboard system is massively broken in premium dungeon!
  • MastagarwarMastagarwar
    Any updates on this?

Anything?

Luckily another game I play is coming out soon. Hopefully when I come back to MS2 the KB/Mouse controls will be less... poorly designed.

Been over a month? Have anything for us?
  • MastagarwarMastagarwar
    Never mind, don't worry about it. Not coming back to a game where the dev's censor people and then ban them for asking valid questions about the game.

bye
  • AsukaLSAsukaLS
    it's been 4 months. I'm on hiatus for this game until the controls are refined. IMO game still in Beta and there's no reason for me to play an unfinished game. However IF you fix mouse+keyboard i'll give it another shot.

But that seems unlikely due to the lack of feedback.