Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

The UGC fees aren't fixing anything, we need ban.

Comments

• EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    They are currently targeting meso sellers by doing "trade ban" instead of a permanent ban in case of false positives.

Maybe for first-time rip-off offenders, just do a UGC ban.
    DragonicWolfCurlyPuffGurl
  • MadokaMagicaMadokaMagica
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,145
    Leilafi wrote: »
    They need to start permanent ban anyone who do rips, they are not going to stop until real punishment starts happening.

maybe of their second strike.
    What if someone actually took the time to actually make something but so happens someone actually made that item
    and now they're permanently banned because it looks far too similar to that other person's idea?
    That does happen, in the art world, sometimes.

That’s true ;_;
    Leilafi
  • CalmWinterCalmWinter
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,920
    edited 12:44PM November 14, 2018
    While similar designs can exist, the odds of an EXACT SAME DESIGN, with all the pixels in the same place can exist multiple times by 2 different people and none of them is plagiarizing is astronomically low and effectively zero.

Mods edited the main post to remove the images with names.
    DragonicWolfOneConfusedMilletian
  • DanteYodaDanteYoda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 970
    Did people really think raising the prices would stop scammers from stealing others content.. Really? all it did was cut out those of us that cannot afford to content now..

The thieves make far too much money on this to ever need to worry about UGC pricings.. This company is as scummy as the thieves.
    Chernobyte
  • NunahNunah
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 770
    CalmWinter wrote: »

Gotta protect the thieves. God forbid there's some type of consequence for their actions.
  • MatchaTeaMatchaTea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 910
    On the OCE server, after the UGC patch last Friday, not long after some people posted an ahegao hoodie and a couple of ripped Nier2B costumes (inc. variations) on the UGC design shop. Its been almost a week since I've reported them but the designs have not been taken down as of yet.

Meanwhile, at least 30% of the top sellers (on the first 3 pages) are ripped content that have not been removed since I reported them over 3 weeks ago. Where is the UGC moderation on OCE??
    DragonicWolfJaded
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    MatchaTea wrote: »
    On the OCE server, after the UGC patch last Friday, not long after some people posted an ahegao hoodie and a couple of ripped Nier2B costumes (inc. variations) on the UGC design shop. Its been almost a week since I've reported them but the designs have not been taken down as of yet.

Meanwhile, at least 30% of the top sellers (on the first 3 pages) are ripped content that have not been removed since I reported them over 3 weeks ago. Where is the UGC moderation on OCE??

I am on OCE too and i also report regularly. There appears to be near ZERO moderation of the OCE designer shop. maybe one or two removals here and there per week. What are the mods doing? Sleeping? The OCE server is so small it should be a piece of cake to moderate, especially since i include information and links to evidence in my reports.
    Jaded
  • BluclueBluclue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,190
    edited 1:55PM November 15, 2018
    When will nexon stop victimizing perpetrators and allow us to call them out on official channels? People deserve to know who is stealing . Protecting them does nothing good. It serves Nothing but the perps. We dont need cotton floss care bear ass wipe. People need to get shamed for exploiting. Most of these exploiters rip again and again because of the lack of consequence.
    ChernobyteJadedMadokaMagica
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,535
    People who made Merets stealing UGC still have them, so even though the fees disincentivize new players uploading stolen stuff to the UGC store, people who already profited from it can still pretty safely do it.
    Costs them nothing, they have so many merets 490 means nothing to them.
    Though I guess it makes it easier for Nexon to pinpoint who is doing the plagiarising so they can actually stop it, which I think is kind of the goal of this 'fix' anyway. Easy to find out who is stealing and reuploading stuff when only people who stole and uploaded stuff before this update can afford to keep doing it.
  • WallSeriesWallSeries
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,470
    akatsuki clearance when????
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Did people really think raising the prices would stop scammers from stealing others content.. Really? all it did was cut out those of us that cannot afford to content now..

The thieves make far too much money on this to ever need to worry about UGC pricings.. This company is as scummy as the thieves.

I have a thief class so kinda offended, even though you mean thief as in the ones selling other peoples designs.
  • NunahNunah
    edited 1:55PM November 15, 2018
    Bluclue wrote: »
    When will nexon stop victimizing perpetrators and allow us to call them out on official channels? People deserve to know who is stealing . Protecting them does nothing good. It serves Nothing but the perps. We dont need cotton floss care bear ass wipe. People need to get shamed for exploiting. Most of these exploiters rip again and again because of the lack of consequence.

Exactly, and social consequences are a huge deterrent for a lot of people. We should be able to call them out so they know who not to buy from. Most ppl list things on their alts, not mains anyway. So witch hunting is a non issue.
  • OneConfusedMilletianOneConfusedMilletian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,590

I'd be careful of that. Perps can also use channels like Reddit and the forums to strike down legit creators, even while they are ripping those same creators' content. Some way of labeling "Trusted" content creators would be more helpful than throwing all content creators to us, the mob.

Totally agree with stronger consequences, though.
  • OddieASDFOddieASDF
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,580
    Do you guys think some kind of down/upvote on items would help? This way, the community itself can flag duplicates and or downvote stolen content, so the buyer will know it's not an OC.
    Greta
  • TeakwoodTeakwood
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,150
    As someone who used to be a commissioned artist whose partner IS an artist and also used to be a commissioned artist, I must address the elephant in the room:

This is no different in game than in real life.

A vast majority of people do not value artists at all. We're scoffed at for trying to make a living selling our designs, sliding into our DMs just to call us trash because we won't draw their weird fetish art or fix their grandfather's Comic Sans logo for free. There's art thievery all over Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram...

I think this is just a reflection of a much larger societal issue, and it won't go away so easily.
    OneConfusedMilletianCarbonCoalsmol_burrito
  • EinoEino
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    edited 3:52PM November 15, 2018
    There are even rippers on the official discord openly chatting on the UGC channel everyday. No repercussion whatsoever. A famous example is ********, they have been found stealing outfit templates multiple times, sharing them and even selling outfits on alts. Yet as far as we know, they is still consistently ripping and selling rips.

The people who they ripped from includes Umm/Pet (NA west)- Stole template to recolor without permission, Art (NA east) - Stole and shared outfit with a friend, who sold it on design mart, czlr/Yuna (NA east) - Stole template and recolored to sell on an alt.

I mean, at least the person you mentioned (before it was edited with asterisks) has finally been exposed and shunned in the MS2 UGC Discord.

I don't look at the MS2 Discord - I just popped in out of curiosity, and wow - that person was shameless.

I'm guessing it's harder to "expose" certain rippers who have ingratiated themselves within the community and made friends who would defend them blindly.
  • InedariInedari
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 680
    Removing/banning for duplicate UGC entries can be done on the back end. A script that examines the properties of uploaded files for similarities like file size, etc and then flags them for review wouldn't be difficult to make. This would help alleviate the use of ripped templates.

• DetrivanceDetrivance
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,235
    Forum Moderator
    Nunah wrote: »

Gotta protect the thieves. God forbid there's some type of consequence for their actions.

There is literally a rule for both forums and discord that states "Witch Hunts or call out threads against other Maplers, VFMs, CMs and GMs are not permitted", this includes any comments or images calling out other maplers. Removing the pictures and censoring names has absolutely nothing to do with "protecting thieves", it is for keeping the forums and discord a safe place for users.
    OneConfusedMilletianGreta
  • NunahNunah
    Detrivance wrote: »
    Nunah wrote: »

There is literally a rule for both forums and discord that states "Witch Hunts or call out threads against other Maplers, VFMs, CMs and GMs are not permitted", this includes any comments or images calling out other maplers. Removing the pictures and censoring names has absolutely nothing to do with "protecting thieves", it is for keeping the forums and discord a safe place for users.

I KNOW WHY THE RULE EXISTS. What's happening is just frustrating.
  • CurlyPuffGurlCurlyPuffGurl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    I ironically saw a rip of one of my UGC creations that was listed right after the listing change. They made a slight edit to post it as a male item instead of female. Although I am not sure if there could be any more on different servers :/.

There should be a new filter available for featured creators. I remember when certain creators had the Top Designer title/badge highlighted blue in the design shop. Have these designers apply for this badge after creating popular selling designs and get permission from an admin on a forum thread to enter this category after an approval process. Maybe this way we can at least see popular designers can out beat the ugc rippers. It would also make designers out in the open on the forum.

If something like above can't work out, allow for a review product system for the UGC catalog. Where when an item is listed it must go through a review system and needs a certain amount of player votes before being posted on the UGC catalog. Maybe this can be an option for players to earn red merits for reviewing products.

I remember seeing similar features on other games that allow UGC creation. This would be great for popular creators who are an encouraging and postive impact to the UGC community.
    OneConfusedMilletianNunah