Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

The UGC fees aren't fixing anything, we need ban.

CalmWinterCalmWinter
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,920
edited 10:06AM November 14, 2018 in General Chat
The 290 to 490 meret UGC listing fees aren't fixing anything.

People are still shamelessly stealing designs to sell as if they were their own.

The most stolen design is the "black dress":

Followed by Fate's Rin outfit.

It's been stolen so much that the UGC template has JPEG artifacts and you can see it if wear it! :

aQtHgGm.jpg

That's hilariously sad.

There is also a floral dress that has been stolen multiple times:

This is also a free UGC template from chinese servers stolen and re-sold here on global version of MS2.

It seems to be the norm to steal the free designs.

Here is a gif of players selling the exact same "shrine dress"...profitting:

---

There are even worse cases, this guy claims to be against plagiarism and that his design is original in the description...but it's stolen:

That's not a "nice lady's blouse", that's kikyou's dress from inuyasha, a free UGC designed by a chinese player:

He stole it and profited.

To prove it i downloaded the free template on the chinese site and checked it on my character...it's the exact same as the supposed "original nice lady's blouse":

Q1VyGHe.png

So yeah, the guy that claimed to be "against plagiarism" stole it and renamed it a completely different thing that what it was.

I reported all these some days ago and they are still selling and profiting, so nexon is not banning them nor removing their obvious plagiarism from the UGC shop.

All the UGC fees do is making harder for people to list their items, since you exclusively need blue merets and people that plagiarize are making profit.

--- Mod Edit ---
Removed pictures for not censoring the igns on them.
CaitheEinoJoTheWeirdomewberiBakaAnikiNunahHeartdonorDarrithDanDKRalleYTNand 7 others.
  1. Do you think the UGC fees are helping fight plagiarism?62 votes
    1. YES! Plagiarism disappeared because of fees and strict UGC rules.
       11% (7 votes)
    2. NO! The images clearly show the fees changed nothing, plagiarism remains the same.
       89% (55 votes)

Comments

• VixroVixro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,380
    I mean it's difficult to assess the situation given the majority of these plagiarized UGC items were listed before the increase in cost.
    XinSonLuminaEdgeTeakwood
  • smol_burritosmol_burrito
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    i really don't think plagiarism will stop until it's shown that thieves are getting more than a slap on the wrist (if even that). the fact that all that's being shown is that thieves are not getting punished and are in fact still profiting... i certainly doubt it's discouraging anyone from doing it.
    nexon needs to dish out actual punishment in order for it to stop---the increased fees aren't really doing anything for the cause.
    TsenemewberiDragonicWolfNunahDanDKOneConfusedMilletian
  • CalmWinterCalmWinter
    edited 9:21AM November 13, 2018
    Vixro wrote: »
    I mean it's difficult to assess the situation given the majority of these plagiarized UGC items were listed before the increase in cost.

They also said they were going to be tough on plagiarism apart of increase fees as a way to solve the issue.

Even for people that listed their items before the fees, they haven't been tough on plagiarism, it still goes unpunished, burying people that make original designs.

In the end nothing they did affected them, only people that make outfits were affected.
  • TrutoralTrutoral
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 650
    Oh man, I don't know these are plagerized designs before you pointed it out and I doubt Nexon will know off the bat too.

These people definitely needs to get punished but how are they able to prevent this from happening in the future?

Right now the problem is these dresses are plagerized, then posted and many will sell before players will point it out.

I think it's fine to make "cosplay" derivative items as long as it's drawn by you and it's not 100% accurate or containing any licensed property but how does one tell if a design is plagerized before listing it. Should there be a few days of wait time while it does through the server and it gets matched with current similar design.

If so, how do you find out if a new design on the market was copied from a free template or not?

By the time these players get banned and if they even get banned, they will make hundreds of merets and it gets too complicated for Nexon to do anything.
  • Sammich88Sammich88
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,345
    edited 12:25PM November 13, 2018
    I don't understand how it's not an instant ban. I mean it's as simple as doing the research for the suspected plagiarized item and once confirmed just instant ban. First time offender 1 week ban. Second time offender 1 month ban. 3rd offender permanent ban. Plagiarism is a huge deal not sure why they are treating it as if it is not.

I understand that Nexon can't keep track of all of these but when it is reported, it should be relatively easy to track them down 1 by 1 and once enough people get permanent banned, plagiarism will eventually slow down by a lot. There will always be new players that aren't aware of this so a complete stop may never happen but that's really the fault of the individual who plagiarized.
    DanDKKhrisisJaded
  • CalmWinterCalmWinter
    edited 2:59PM November 13, 2018
    You hardly need time to realize these are stolen UGC.

It took me about 5 minutes to see all those plagiarized designs, it's THAT easy.

I find hard to believe Nexon really wants to stop people from stealing designs, they would have banned all the reported designs already if they wanted.
    DanDK
  • NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,480
    edited 3:09PM November 13, 2018
    CalmWinter wrote: »

It's been stolen so much that the UGC template has JPEG artifacts and you can see it if wear it! :

aQtHgGm.jpg

That's hilariously sad.

The fact it was even allowed to be posted like that makes me laugh. Those artifacts are so big too >.< that's like compressing a jpg to a jpg multiple times in a row.
  • JoTheWeirdoJoTheWeirdo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,925
    edited 12:53PM November 14, 2018
    This is only a small part of the bigger problem, people are actively searching for quality/good selling designs on other servers and rip the design template straight off of your design and sell it on their main server for profit claiming that they made these.

Stealing/ripping designs from hard working artists is still at an all time high and it's very clear that nexon's current solutions aren't working.
    STOP giving people who steal/rip citations and straight up perma ban them, they REALLY don't give a single damn about citations.
    It's very obvious from numerous sources fellow designers shared that these people have NO respect at all for the people who put a lot of efford in their designs.

And don't get me started on the completely automated responds on support tickets and mostly useless reports in-game, reporting is like playing a game of slots because if you're VERY lucky you actually get helped.
    DragonicWolfCarbonCoalHeartdonorKhrisis
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    On smaller servers like oceania it shouldn't be hard at all for just ONE employee to go through and remove the stolen UGC designs, and anime fan art not drawn by the uploader while they are at it. It is not difficult. When i report these designs i give very clear reasons and offer many sources and references to make the job easier for the moderator, but still these items are not taken down. Why? Why isn't there someone doing their job?
    Jaded
  • BeariieBeariie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,815
    Just need to get rid of the UGC shop. Its horribly moderated and does nothing but ruins the community in more ways then 1. Nothing but thieves and its making artist more paranoid to throw up styles on the shop.

Let players design there own gear and thats all.
    Greta
  • BladeSoul69BladeSoul69
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,315
    A trick I use is to favorite the seller before you buy something. If the seller shows multiple works that are similar in style, its legit.
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • DrakesBlueDrakesBlue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,330
    Exclusive creation refuses plagiarism
    I don't know, this guy sounds legit.
  • BluclueBluclue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,190
    edited 10:10AM November 14, 2018
    There are even rippers on the official discord openly chatting on the UGC channel everyday. No repercussion whatsoever. A famous example is ********, they have been found stealing outfit templates multiple times, sharing them and even selling outfits on alts. Yet as far as we know, they is still consistently ripping and selling rips.

The people who they ripped from includes Umm/Pet (NA west)- Stole template to recolor without permission, Art (NA east) - Stole and shared outfit with a friend, who sold it on design mart, czlr/Yuna (NA east) - Stole template and recolored to sell on an alt.
  • BluclueBluclue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,190
    edited 10:11AM November 14, 2018
    Beside's Umm/Pet, who let her off since ******** did not post her outfit on the design mart (but was originally planning to). Both Czlr and art has made reports regarding their works. However, ********* is still not permanently banned despite 3 counts of ripping incidents and likely many more that we don't know about.
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    eh, Use to all of this, none of the stuff I took the time to work on has sold, I'll probably just make them for me personally.
    The perverted sexy stuff mixed with plagiarized content is what sells the most. Forget that kids are playing the game.
    I just chose to enjoy the fun, or what is left of it. Either way, the dogs will have their day.
    DragonicWolf
  • OddieASDFOddieASDF
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,580
    I can't even register my original content to the design shop due to this fee bs. I can't also buy merets 'cause Nexon makes me pay double the price for not playing through Steam. Meanwhile I see lots of stolen UGC being sold a dozen times. Not to mention 90% of the "creative content" is just anime/pop culture reproduction, which sucks.

They should make it a global market, deploy a moderation team and add an option to the report button so we can report duplicates and they would delete/freeze them. Actually the meret price difference between regions/servers would make it exploitable.
    DragonicWolfJaded
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    OddieASDF wrote: »
    I can't even register my original content to the design shop due to this fee bs. I can't also buy merets 'cause Nexon makes me pay double the price for not playing through Steam. Meanwhile I see lots of stolen UGC being sold a dozen times. Not to mention 90% of the "creative content" is just anime/pop culture reproduction, which sucks.

They should make it a global market, deploy a moderation team and add an option to the report button so we can report duplicates and they would delete/freeze them. Actually the meret price difference between regions/servers would make it exploitable.

wait, hold up. You pay double for not playing through steam?????
  • OddieASDFOddieASDF
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,580
    Leilafi wrote: »
    wait, hold up. You pay double for not playing through steam?????
    Yeah. But it's an uncommon case - they've reduced merets price on Steam users for my region (SA) by 50% and people using Google/Facebook login can't bind their accounts to Steam, so we're bound to pay double via Nexon's regular billing. I guess the same happens in EU.
    Jaded
  • MadokaMagicaMadokaMagica
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,145
    They need to start permanent ban anyone who do rips, they are not going to stop until real punishment starts happening.
    Jaded
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    They need to start permanent ban anyone who do rips, they are not going to stop until real punishment starts happening.

maybe of their second strike.
    What if someone actually took the time to actually make something but so happens someone actually made that item
    and now they're permanently banned because it looks far too similar to that other person's idea?
    That does happen, in the art world, sometimes.
    MadokaMagicaOneConfusedMilletian