Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Anyone else losing motivation to play?

Ren_PartycatRen_Partycat
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,535
Posts: 31
Member
in General Chat
Big mood, I know, but someone's gotta say it. I wanna clarify that the problem here isn't that I've played too much and got burned out on the game. I still want to play and enjoy MS2, but the thing is I just can't anymore. Between the already painful RNG system behind gear upgrades and the fact that Chaos Devorak was falsely advertised, I'm losing motivation to play. The sad part is, I'd rather play Warframe at this point, a game that's pretty much all about pointless grinding. But at least in that game, I can have a very clear sense of progression. So essentially I'm stuck waiting until Nexon fixes raids before I can make any progress. Another massive issue with this game is that elitism is running rampant. Party Finder is full of people asking for steep requirements. And before you take an elitist attitude into this thread, let me remind you of what happened before raids came out. Nexon decided to show off Chaos Devorak and advertised it as an easy, entry level raid that just about anyone can beat with +11 weapons. With all due respect, the developers really had no idea what they were doing. They weren't using Shield Toss, they weren't grabbing onto Devorak before he teleports to another section of the map, they weren't using any of the strategies that players are using to speed things up. At the end, they were only able to get the boss down to 8% HP before the timer ran out. If you need proof, the video's right here and has a Theif with +11 weapons doing the fourth highest amount of damage. False Advertising is NOT okay, I don't care what your argument is because you'd have to be delusional or elitist to defend raids in their current state. If you ordered a hamburger and got a chicken sandwich instead, you wouldn't be happy. Because you ordered a hamburger, not chicken. Seriously though, I'm very disappointed in the current state of the game and I can't just force myself to play. Even now I'm barely logging on for dailies. The game has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm not even logging on for the social aspects, or to finish building my nice house that I've been working on. All I'm really doing these days is talking to my in-game friends on Discord and hoping that Nexon will fix raids. I had a lot of hope for this game, especially when I first saw the Chaos Devorak preview video. But the game is plagued by elitists and toxic players. Game's dying, community's dying, if nothing is done soon then MS2 will become LawBreakers 2.0 and I'll officially stop playing Nexon games for the rest of my life. This is coming from someone who's stuck by Nexon for over a decade (Yes, over 10 years of playing Nexon games) and I'm finally starting to run out of patience and tolerance. It's 2018, soon to be 2019 and I thought Nexon was finally learning something from their man years of failure, but it seems they still have a ways to go. Anyways, tell me what you think and how your MS2 experience has been going lately. And keep things civil, please.
ILLyasvirMitxDanDKDarrithCurkyTsukasa_HiiragiFantasykittenDximusAdartaer
  1. Are you losing motivation to play?82 votes
    1. Yes, absolutely!
       32% (26 votes)
    2. Yes, but I'm still willing to tolerate the game.
       40% (33 votes)
    3. No, I haven't lost motivation so far.
       28% (23 votes)

Comments

  • BuuuuuutwhYBuuuuuutwhY
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 920
    Posts: 41
    Member
    WTB paragraphs and TL;DR
    RalleYTNiinferno
  • BananaCatBananaCat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,450
    Posts: 54
    Member
    edited 7:12PM November 13, 2018
    I hear where you are coming from.

    Warframe did get a legit update recently and its pretty fun so nothing wrong with playing that and taking a break from Maple story until devs figure some stuff out.

    On a side Note a Dev said on twitter there is announcement update coming very soon regarding character progression. So hang in there and don't uninstall Quite yet.
    Dximus
  • TheNetMasterTheNetMaster
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 310
    Posts: 2
    Member
    I've only played MapleStory 2 for a month and I am losing interest because I reached the end of the Epic Quest story and now there isn't anything to do. I know the story needs to continue and I check back to see if a new quest has been released but without the story this game is boring.
    Darrith
  • Ren_PartycatRen_Partycat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,535
    Posts: 31
    Member
    BananaCat wrote: »
    I hear where you are coming from.

    Warframe did get a legit update recently and its pretty fun so nothing wrong with playing that and taking a break from Maple story until devs figure some stuff out.

    On a side Note a Dev said on twitter there is announcement update coming very soon regarding character progression. So hang in there and don't uninstall Quite yet.

    Yeah, I'll admit that it's probably healthier for me to have something else to do on the side. So I don't invest ALL of my spare time on one thing.

    Oh wow, right as I was typing this they released the producer blog. http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/38614/producer-blog-state-of-the-game-week-5
    Sherri
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,305
    Posts: 307
    Member
    It is pretty sad that the game is already losing its traction. But in this day and age where there are abundance of online games in the market, players are very unforgiving as they can just move on to better titles. The decrease in game's population has become noticeable at the moment and I would say good portion of the game's concurrent players is actually bots, as I found more than half the characters in Tria in some channels are bots.
    However, there are still more updates to come and we just need to wait and see how Nexon molds this title. If the game is still unsatisfactory after few more updates, well... Then the game will die off rapidly.
    Ren_PartycatDarrithMintyliciousErie
  • ILLyasvirILLyasvir
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 340
    Posts: 3
    Member
    totally demotivated, maplestory 2 has become a WORK, more than a game to enjoy. and I already lost patience over 100 million mesos in onyx and still in +12 my weapon (server south america) x1 onyx = 2,000 mesos
    DarrithErie
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    Posts: 172
    Member
    Yeah, leveling and getting to 'end game' is too fast, and even then people are complaining about not being able to do chaos raids after just a couple of weeks of playing.
  • EcchiOtakuTMEcchiOtakuTM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,440
    Posts: 158
    Member
    edited 9:21PM November 13, 2018
    I'm not in a rush for the enchant/raid bum rush tbh so I'm not remotely close to losing motivation. I'm focused on capitalizing on everyone else's desire for onyx while doing dailies along with pvp and some other stuff. So far reached 200m and have a 13+ weapon that being said solely because I use bound onyx from dailies to enchant. But I needa get extra nutaman earrings and kandura pendants to sell, I will admit rng has not been favorable on that at least. 3 weeks of full runs and only gotten 2 kanduras(1 with an open slot) and weirdly everyone but me got nutamans, I've literally counted 12 nutaman earring drops this past week lol. It's like even the game's enforcing no nut November on me. I bring luck to others but not to myself. That being said, should be happy the game isn't as face roll to complete for raids tbh, means you won't just tear through it on the first try then be devoid of content for months.
    OneConfusedMilletianTessadrylMintylicious
  • WittlePlushyWittlePlushy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 940
    Posts: 85
    Member
    edited 9:26PM November 13, 2018
    For me it's just a problem with Chaos Raids I still see people helping with hard dungeons. The timer adding extra pressure on parties to maximize their effectiveness by weeding out lower dpses is an extremely toxic mechanic. The dps tracker in itself isn't inherently bad and is a good tool for figuring out your flaws/ways you can improve. However, the moment they put unnecessary pressure on the community it separated the casuals from the hardcores. Rather, "Experienced" (who you know can clear in under 15) and Non-experienced (who haven't had the "chance" to clear in under 15) if you want to go off of party finder recruitment ads. The dps mechanics of the boss aren't too difficult for parties to clear but people (fresh 4.5k gs) won't be clearing it in under 15 minutes for their first time.
  • MochiAiMochiAi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,305
    Posts: 307
    Member
    I'm not in a rush for the enchant/raid bum rush tbh so I'm not remotely close to losing motivation. I'm focused on capitalizing on everyone else's desire for onyx while doing dailies along with pvp and some other stuff. So far reached 200m and have a 13+ weapon that being said solely because I use bound onyx from dailies to enchant. But I needa get extra nutaman earrings and kandura pendants to sell, I will admit rng has not been favorable on that at least. 3 weeks of full runs and only gotten 2 kanduras(1 with an open slot) and weirdly everyone but me got nutamans, I've literally counted 12 nutaman earring drops this past week lol. It's like even the game's enforcing no nut November on me. I bring luck to others but not to myself. That being said, should be happy the game isn't as face roll to complete for raids tbh, means you won't just tear through it on the first try then be devoid of content for months.

    You are a very good business woman. You can rule Tria with all your wealth in the coming days. Remember me when you become the empress.
    EcchiOtakuTMOneConfusedMilletian
  • Ren_PartycatRen_Partycat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,535
    Posts: 31
    Member
    For me it's just a problem with Chaos Raids I still see people helping with hard dungeons. The timer adding extra pressure on parties to maximize their effectiveness by weeding out lower dpses is an extremely toxic mechanic. The dps tracker in itself isn't inherently bad and is a good tool for figuring out your flaws/ways you can improve. However, the moment they put unnecessary pressure on the community it separated the casuals from the hardcores. Rather, "Experienced" (who you know can clear in under 15) and Non-experienced (who haven't had the "chance" to clear in under 15) if you want to go off of party finder recruitment ads.

    Funny how MS2 is the only MMO to have this disgusting timed raid system. Meanwhile, good MMOs like FFXIV and WoW balance raids around being time consuming, which further adds to the challenge. In those games there's more room for error because the fights last longer. And when you wipe, you wipe. You're back at the start and you've gotta fight the boss all over again until you get it right. You're forced to learn from every mistake and every wipe. Not to mention those games are very challenging and still have healer classes that can revive allies. In MS2 there's no skill involved, everything's a DPS race and your chance of victory is entirely dependent on your gear rather than skill itself. Upgrading gear is also locked behind not only heavy amounts of RNG, but a time gate as well with additional layers of RNG. But hey, let's just watch the elitists kill the game, it's gonna die soon since Nexon basically told everyone "Screw you, grind more" in their latest blog.
    DanDKHeimerdingerCurkyFantasykitten
  • NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,480
    Posts: 84
    Member
    Yeah, leveling and getting to 'end game' is too fast, and even then people are complaining about not being able to do chaos raids after just a couple of weeks of playing.

    I complain about the fact that your effort is not translated in to progression. There are people who have started this month, that already have progressed beyond me because of the horrible progression system.
    Slow or fast, you should NEVER use limited availability and RNG at the same time to gate progression. This is what has been killing my drive to play.
    Ren_PartycatWittlePlushyFantasykitten
  • Ren_PartycatRen_Partycat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,535
    Posts: 31
    Member
    NiamhNyx wrote: »
    Slow or fast, you should NEVER use limited availability and RNG at the same time to gate progression. This is what has been killing my drive to play.

    Pretty much. It's also depressing that I'm noticing more and more people are buying mesos from those RWT sites, so they can have a chance at raids. I've already talked to quite a lot of people outside of the game and they've told me that they were able to clear Chaos Devorak after buying mesos. I've seen proof too, but I'm not reporting them. And I'm not reporting bots anymore either. You wanna know why? Because after over a decade of supporting Nexon and their games, I've hit my limit. I don't have any sympathy for this company anymore and I've already accepted that MS2 will die soon. The community is just so elitist and toxic and I simply don't have it in me to be passionate about this game anymore. I wish Nexon would do something, but their response was essentially "Shut up and keep grinding."
    DanDKHeimerdingerSJTeamFantasykitten
  • NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,480
    Posts: 84
    Member
    NiamhNyx wrote: »
    Slow or fast, you should NEVER use limited availability and RNG at the same time to gate progression. This is what has been killing my drive to play.

    Pretty much. It's also depressing that I'm noticing more and more people are buying mesos from those RWT sites, so they can have a chance at raids. I've already talked to quite a lot of people outside of the game and they've told me that they were able to clear Chaos Devorak after buying mesos. I've seen proof too, but I'm not reporting them. And I'm not reporting bots anymore either. You wanna know why? Because after over a decade of supporting Nexon and their games, I've hit my limit. I don't have any sympathy for this company anymore and I've already accepted that MS2 will die soon. The community is just so elitist and toxic and I simply don't have it in me to be passionate about this game anymore. I wish Nexon would do something, but their response was essentially "Shut up and keep grinding."

    Die soon in mmo terms is years. So they have a "chance" to make it better, but i mean... Its nexon.
  • Ren_PartycatRen_Partycat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,535
    Posts: 31
    Member
    NiamhNyx wrote: »
    Die soon in mmo terms is years.

    Not really. I know plenty of MMOs that died so quickly and even got shut down that you'd think I'm making up names of games that don't exist. I mean yeah, they don't exist anymore but still. It doesn't take multiple years for a game to truly die after a bad decision or series of bad updates go through. And Nexon has shut down many games of theirs over the years, it's pretty much a Nexon tradition at this point to kill off their games.
    DanDKDarrithSJTeamFantasykitten
  • NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,480
    Posts: 84
    Member
    NiamhNyx wrote: »
    Die soon in mmo terms is years.

    Not really. I know plenty of MMOs that died so quickly and even got shut down that you'd think I'm making up names of games that don't exist. I mean yeah, they don't exist anymore but still. It doesn't take multiple years for a game to truly die after a bad decision or series of bad updates go through. And Nexon has shut down many games of theirs over the years, it's pretty much a Nexon tradition at this point to kill off their games.

    Well, out of the few hundred mmo's i have played, only three have shut down with in a year, and most atleast last 3-4 years.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    I've only played MapleStory 2 for a month and I am losing interest because I reached the end of the Epic Quest story and now there isn't anything to do. I know the story needs to continue and I check back to see if a new quest has been released but without the story this game is boring.

    It takes less than one day to complete the entire 'storyline' though... also it's been made just to rush people through.
    So I guess what you're saying is that the entire game is a failure, which is actually not that far from the truth :D
    DarrithFantasykitten
  • Tsukasa_HiiragiTsukasa_Hiiragi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,225
    Posts: 180
    Member
    edited 3:49AM November 14, 2018
    My story is that, I'm an alt-a-holic and put up probably more hours than most people here on the forums in terms of actual game time, I have a level 60 in each class all fairly geared, but none of them are passed the 4500. My main, Priest has been stuck on enchanting to +13 for what seems forever now and each and every single 'failed to enchant' is a blow to my soul, however that being said ~ since Day 1 I was also a sufferer from the dreaded error 10053 essentially locking me out of Hard Dungeons for nearly 3 weeks, only up until about a week ago just before the patch did my connection finally stabilize to a point I could reliably run hard mode dungeons, so I missed out on alot which didn't help my progression at all either.

    So, couple error 10053, the stagnant progression, the lack of ideal stat rolls and the crippling failures has been eating away at my resolve to play - And I'm a hardcore player, hardcore raider too but unfortunately Maplestory 2 is less about player skill rather than getting lucky with so many layers of RNG and then just brute forcing your way by constant hardmode dungeons to fail your enchants over and over until you pray you get lucky before you burn out, just so ~ you can start the process all over again - I honestly would have quit weeks ago if it wasn't for my guild and the friendships I've made, that has been the only driving force in order just to login and do my dailies, other than that - I'm almost at my limit.

    I could write an essay on all the design flaws Maplestory 2 has, all the systems in play which are purely and almost maliciously designed to keep a majority of players from ever progressing fairly, whilst others find any way, legal or otherwise to bypass it and then you have others exploiting those systems aka carriers purely for personal profiteering.

    Along time ago when MMos first started to become a major genre, some of the earlier publishers realized something so important is that first impressions of your product are so important, you only get that first impression and you only get one chance to do right by it. Nexon has done so many things wrong with Maplestory 2, some of which they have been fighting to fix but that first impression for so many has been negative and considering that even more the game launched with all the abuse in the Mushking Royale which still, has not been address - then having a GM abuse powers which again, reflected poorly for the launch.

    Maplestory 2 is a fun game, its got some good elements but it also has major flaws and unfair mechanics which are easily exploitable by people who have played the KMS2 for years, exploitable by meso buyers and exploitable by people hacking - time will honestly tell how far Maplestory 2 will go, but I very much doubt it will ever surpass the original, considering how bad the original 'maplestory' actually was for hackers and scammers, Maplestory 2 is actually at the moment rather tame by comparison in that aspect, Nexon never did nearly enough to combat the rampant hacking in the original but partly in their defense its very difficult to stop millions of bots, you ban 10 and 100 more take its place.
    MintyliciousFantasykittenILLyasvir
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    Posts: 40
    Member
    edited 4:28AM November 14, 2018
    I'm not losing any patience to play the game itself, it's more about certain players. I just got out of a dungeon where people got upset at me for trying to damage the boss while heal and stand in one stop to try to stick the boss, Fire Dragon. Which I went in again, stood there and the boss still ran all over the place, while I still healed and buffed whenever possible.

    I stood there with them so they don't have to go down and get the fire buff off, which by the way I do get it off because I rather have a good score.
    But I never knew about this in the first place, so someone by the name of Hawki blows up on me and tells me not to burst a brain cell to figure it out.
    OK, I've been off of MS2 for 2 weeks. How am I suppose to know that mechanic play just returning to the game, when all of my party just wanted to attack the boss, and get out of there?
    Instead of asking me "can you stack up on us?" no he tries to call me out even though I got a better score then he did, got my A with his B
    and kept them alive except when they get one hit or overly stacked with fire and drop into the hole when it's not doing the laser,
    thereby avoiding my heals, that I have to chase them down for, which rather keep more alive if in danger over one straggler leaving the area when he wanted me
    to stack in the first place. SO two people end up with a B and I have my A and
    they get even more upset because I have an A and they have a B and said "I'm stupid for not doing what I'm suppose to do and wasting
    5 minutes and got them lower grade scores.

    Wait, hold on, One, I'm suppose to be healing your butt and buffing, which I have been.
    Two, how can I give you a lower grade when nothing I do affects what the dungeon personally gives you?
    Three, you expect any healer, after you try to talk crap about them, because they didn't know waht you wanted, to consider continue to heal you because you're being a dirt bag?

    Maybe I didn't know about the boss sticking in one area, which I still haven't seen,
    maybe I didn't know you wanted me to stack. Next time, let me read your mind like all other Priests do.


    Oh, btw, why join a random team who will be randomized and do whatever they want, if you wanted to be more coordinated
    It's simple, you're in a guild join with your guild mates or do a party finder. "Staking pt FD, must be stkd"
    Mintylicious
  • SkengsSkengs
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 780
    Posts: 19
    Member
    I don't mind rng but the layers of rng this game has is very demotivating.