Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

What is the RNG in this game?

NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,480
in General Chat
I have played mmo's for quite a long time. I have had many, many enchantment fails, items that wont drop and everything else imaginable, but this game is just ridiculous.

I have three alt accounts for grinding out runs and trading my main onyx or rare drops. I have run FD a combined total of 167 times. I have seen one pyrros fard pet, one pyyros fard glove and have yet to see the ring. I have run lube 328 times, I have yet to see the pet, horns or wings.

I had to buy 100m worth of onyx just to get my weapon from +11 to +12, I dont even remember how many times i failed, but i do know one of the fails was like a 76% chance of success. I made 32 epic earrings before I got one that had any piercing on them, I made 19 necklaces before I got piercing, and so far have made 14 capes with out any luck so far on them. 32.5 million mesos spent on making accessories alone.

I just want to run the raids with out being kicked, but this rng grind is so painful, nothing seems to have the chances that they say. let alone the fact that i have less than a 10% success rate on something thats supposed to be 50%. (opening first slot on 3 accessories took me 38 tries total)
ClericeruPkmdzZenjionAshleyTheNekoDarrithHeimerdingerMorningRegretDximusTeSalveiFrostZzand 3 others.

Comments

• ClericeruClericeru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,305
    edited 2:22AM November 11, 2018
    NiamhNyx wrote: »
    I have had many, many enchantment fails, items that wont drop and everything else imaginable, but this game is just ridiculous.

I too find it painful at the moment with just trying to get +13. The RNG system is just extremely absurd in my humble opinion.
    DarrithDximus
  • PkmdzPkmdz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 965
    Hello long lost sibling
    Clericeru
  • SpiritAnimalSpiritAnimal
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    While I have a different experience than you I would have to agree that RNG sucks. Been stuck for quite some time on trying to get +14. Failing the enchants stings a lot when you've tried for 2 and a half weeks to get the next upgrade. Especially without double dungeon drops. About to save fail stacks until I get 100% just for +14. Good luck with future RNG.
    DarrithDximus
  • NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
    I am beginning to think this is similar to a game I once used to play. I can not remember the name of it, but when you made an account, it assigned you an rng table. Those rng tables were 1-100, 1-1000, 1-10000, 1-100000 and 1-1000000, and no matter the table, your chance at the item was rolled once.
    Lets say you are killing a boss with a 1% drop, it dies and the loot tables rolls for it.
    1-100: 1 good number 99 bad numbers
    1-1000: 10 good numbers 990 bad numbers
    etc etc.
    In math, its still a 1% chance, but you have 990 numbers compared to 99 with ONE roll.
    Clericeru
  • SpiritAnimalSpiritAnimal
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    I hope that isn't the case in this game but I do know someone in my guild who is known for being able to get the Varrekant horn drop very often...
  • ClericeruClericeru
    I am beginning to think this is similar to a game I once used to play. I can not remember the name of it, but when you made an account, it assigned you an rng table. Those rng tables were 1-100, 1-1000, 1-10000, 1-100000 and 1-1000000, and no matter the table, your chance at the item was rolled once.
    Lets say you are killing a boss with a 1% drop, it dies and the loot tables rolls for it.
    1-100: 1 good number 99 bad numbers
    1-1000: 10 good numbers 990 bad numbers
    etc etc.
    In math, its still a 1% chance, but you have 990 numbers compared to 99 with ONE roll.

I'd be really interested in seeing how the drops are calculated in ms2, but it's something they wouldn't ever reveal.
  • Nanachi_CCCPNanachi_CCCP
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,900
    edited 3:48AM November 11, 2018
    i have 5 alts 1 main (6 characters) and did not manage to get +15 weapon even on single one

Today i've failed 6 times 14 to 15 upgrade(that cost like 4mil per try btw),if i do not get it this week i just quit,this rng is ridiculous
    it is crazy when you have to go play path of exile to take break from this rng

I also got 0 good rolls on anything, over 500 epic armors neither of them had high stats or good stats
    If my 200. epic helm is like +4 strenght for wizard just like previous 199 it is just no fun

It is not like i did not quit other games where rng was this bad,for example trove with gem introduction is game i quit even tho i had many hundreds spend in it.

What does trove and this game in common is TIME gating

Good games:
    Rng gate or
    Time gate or
    Skill gate

This game does pick first 2 and that is mark of bad game design,something you would expect on mobile phone with 5$ for 10 energy to run one more dungeon

I got 20 dungeons left this week (already did the reset) if rngesus will not bless me i'll throw this game in to trash can and go play warframe,fallout or minecraft

I'm not angry not even frustrated just disappointed because i was waiting on game like this for long time.

>my 20. run on fire dragon today i had between 0 and 2 fps because of preformance issues
    >it is borderline impossible to find raid group on some servers,i do not mean one that will win,it is fun enough to try,i mean raid group that will at least start.
    >We are not even talking about upgrading best gear,this is just epic and legendary is already here with even higher cost and all that gear will become useless as awakening comes with awakened gear.
    If it was just rng,i might somehow bite my tongue and endure it but there are some other big issues giving me nothing to do after daily limit.
    Acherons
  • ZenjionZenjion
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,065
    edited 7:21AM November 11, 2018
    I'm up to 55 Lube runs with no horns or wings. Today in the party I spammed lube with, in 10 runs horns dropped 4 times and wings dropped 3 times, just not to me. A buddy of mine got BOTH wings and horns on his first lube run.

My alt ran tronix 30 times during double drops, meaning its about 60 runs worth of drops, all I got was a stupid helmet.

Saying that you're given a set rng when you start the game is very tin-foil-hat sounding but I'm starting to believe it. People on the leader boards getting legendary gear with good rolls after 3 completed runs and I can't even find a cape with piercing.

I don't even mind rng usually, most games if you have bad rng you can grit your teeth and push forward and force good drops but we are limited in this game. Which means lucky people will keep having more and more success while unlucky people are left behind. Why bother playing when you literally cannot catch up to lucky people.

I know your pain.
  • RaxRax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 945
    edited 7:34AM November 11, 2018
    I ran double-drop lube 27 times last week and finally got the wings on my alt. I still had to buy the horns. I failed my +13 upgrade only 5 times surprisingly, but getting to +12 took 9 tries. It's not the low chance of success that gets me, it's the cost of failing, and the limited number of chances.
  • KatsKats
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,590
    Sometimes I wish the values on bonus attributes were not random (unless named gear like Balrog wings as they can only get piercing and melee dmg) so that the only thing RNG for bonus attributes was to get those good stats.
    FrostZz
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,645
    It's hard to say but I do also feel that the RNG system is quite skewed towards failure for some reason. I'm frequently failing items with 40%-60% chances more than 5 times, and this has not just been an one-time occurence. And when people finally succeed rolls that have low chances, it's hard to say whether their real chances had been even more low. It just seems extremely weird that the probabilities don't seem to even out over time but go towards more and more failures.

As you said yourself, a 1% chance is still a 1% chance no matter the tables used. I have no clue why they would do that though since it changes absolutely nothing and it just sounds like more work for them.
    Darrith
  • ArjuneArjune
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,090
    edited 12:12PM November 11, 2018
    You should try re-rolling attributes on stuff for stats 2-3 times (price rises each time) rather than create new ones every single time (500k a pop.. ouch). useless ones should/could also be used for socketing so I hope you haven't destroyed them all

SUKEE65.png

it costs crystal fragments, blue/green crystals, and metacells to change it, and you can choose to keep your old attributes. You can use blue and red stars to get metacells or buy from black market

3Jkhg2J.png

There's also a good reason people are paying big bucks to get into B4 runs.... because of the armor and accessory epic re-rollers and lock scrolls and gem crates.

3ZBMIL4.png

Gem upgrades and socketing
  • AcheronsAcherons
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 975
    I got Varrekant's Wings drop after 11 runs. I sold it at peak price for 47mill 2 weeks ago before double dungeon lol
    Teakwood
  • IllusiveDivinityIllusiveDivinity
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 540
    Took me 8 runs without 2x drop to get Kandura's- but I've done 70 runs of balrog during 2x and didn't get a single earring wing OR horns.
  • FeifeiDuFeifeiDu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,060
    You do know that before in KMS2 and CMS2 when you fail above +10 your weapon is gone right. Which makes +12 super rare You are lucky that global don’t do that anymore. Stop complaining or just quit
    NachoCheeseDragonicWolf
  • TeakwoodTeakwood
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,150
    Acherons wrote: »
    I got Varrekant's Wings drop after 11 runs. I sold it at peak price for 47mill 2 weeks ago before double dungeon lol

Hustlin XD
  • NiamhNyxNiamhNyx
    edited 4:58PM November 11, 2018
    FeifeiDu wrote: »
    You do know that before in KMS2 and CMS2 when you fail above +10 your weapon is gone right. Which makes +12 super rare You are lucky that global don’t do that anymore. Stop complaining or just quit

Stop posting on topics you don't understand.

The bad RNG in this game has nothing to do with weapon breaking in another version.

MS2 has progression based on limited availability and RNG. I have run more Hard dungeons and spent more mesos than a majority of the people who have progressed beyond me. That is not a healthy system. You can disagree all you want, but I have quite a lot of experience with bad and good mmo progression systems as I have probably played more mmo's than people know exist.

A good example of a progression system from an actual MMO.

Raid limited to two runs per day, stat roll's on armor and weapons are based on their class (No strength weapon for a healer, no Int gloves for an archer, etc ).
    Enchantments have a low rate of success past +5, past +9 requires same rarity class items (Armor still limited to armor type and weapon still limited to weapon type, but not the exact same weapon or armor).
    Secondary enchantment materials (EX: Onyx, Chaos Onyx) can be obtained though more than just dungeons and are not bogged down by a daily dungeon limit.
    Third tier enchantment materials are common drops (EX: Crystal Fragments)
    ClericeruUlukiniPkmdzErieDarkGladxxFrostZzThendriksMieh
  • ClericeruClericeru
    edited 5:06PM November 11, 2018
    MS2 has progression based on limited availability and RNG. I have run more Hard dungeons and spent more mesos than a majority of the people who have progressed beyond me. That is not a healthy system. You can disagree all you want, but I have quite a lot of experience with bad and good mmo progression systems as I have probably played more mmo's than people know exist.

Absolutely. It's not healthy, nor fair at all.
  • GarlicBreadGarlicBread
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,035
    FeifeiDu wrote: »

pretty sure it was ''time out'' if you failed and you can't enchant it till next day which is not the same as ''break''
  • OhmygodOhmygod
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 695
    Rng is based on your server. It's why you have enchantment spam of 10+ people at the exact same time, and then a whole lot of nothing after. It's highly unlikely that 20k+ people suddenly just stopped enchanting. It's best to save your attempts during such an event.
    BananaCat