Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

Complete Template Guide *UPDATED*

Comments

• MiniRabbitMiniRabbit
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
  • ViZualClimaxViZualClimax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    Wardy wrote: »
    Is there an in game program to edit these templates or is it photoshop?

it defaults to microsoft paint but you can edit the templates with any editing software you want

Is there a way to change the directory to open up Photoshop instead of mspaint?
    anyone??
  • ZatchZatch
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,850
    No, you have to open the template on photoshop seperately.
  • SyrusMarufujiSyrusMarufuji
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,395
    Apology wrote: »
    Thanks for compiling the templates. However, how are we supposed to edit these when they're already coloured?
    Say, I want white pants, but the template given is pink. This must require a higher level of editing skills?

Hi, digital artist here. I have yet to mess around with the templates myself but basically to edit these nicely you're probably going to want at least a photo editor with layering skills. (GIMP and FireAlpaca are legally free options)

Please note I'm speaking on theory here, and will be testing this out as soon as I'm done typing this out.

If the template has a pink hue and you want a pure white, the easiest thing to do would be to lower the saturation of the template down to 0 so that it is simplified to grayscale values. You can also alternatively mess with brightness/contrast or levels to adjust the intensity of the colors.

I'm assuming the template textures are what provide most of the shading on objects and not an actual lighting system, so you want to make sure you overlay your design onto the template. You can do this with, a multiply layer, linear burn, or (obviously) an overlay layer. You can also probably use masking to make sure your design is in the part of the template that gets read by the game and doesnt bleed out.
    edited 11:51PM October 11, 2018

Please note I'm speaking on theory here, and will be testing this out as soon as I'm done typing this out.

So I've done this and after a few experimentation and iterations here are my results.
    6jyrQuv.png]

I used a discord icon I had made of my character as a logo, faded the edges and warped it to properly fit the curve of the shirt on the texture. Now, there are a few further things I'd like to clarify.
    If the template has a pink hue and you want a pure white, the easiest thing to do would be to lower the saturation of the template down to 0 so that it is simplified to grayscale values. You can also alternatively mess with brightness/contrast or levels to adjust the intensity of the colors.
    So what I failed to mention before is that outside of a grayscale based shirt, you probably don't wanna leave the shadows as pure gray/black, when working with color, the reason for this is that the shadows are not going to look as vibrant as they would be if they were colored.

Here's a tangent. In real life, black is lack of light while white is light, (in simplified terms) If you look carefully at objects in your house, you should notice that shadows of objects do have a slight tint of color to them, depending on whats reflecting around them. But all you really need to know is that colored shadows make things look more vibrant.

I'm assuming the template textures are what provide most of the shading on objects and not an actual lighting system, so you want to make sure you overlay your design onto the template. You can do this with, a multiply layer, linear burn, or (obviously) an overlay layer. You can also probably use masking to make sure your design is in the part of the template that gets read by the game and doesnt bleed out.

Again, I was right about this. The main shading effect is part of the texture, so if you want your design to match up with the aesthetic of the rest of the game, its important that you either, A. know how to texture by hand. (this requires a big knowledge of clothing folds and light) or B. retain/enhance the original texture while at the same time adding your own pizazz with layers that preserve the texture beneath.
  • RiuruRiuru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    some can do video tutorial? or some have a video tutorial? :3
  • Eekhoorn205Eekhoorn205
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 700
    How do you get the tee ??
    2 friends of mine and I got one but my other friends who has started at the same time doesn't have one.
    How do you get the tee ??
    2 friends of mine and I got one but my other friends who has started at the same time doesn't have one.

I believe its either by level or through the story questline
  • NyffixNyffix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 515
    edited 5:22PM October 16, 2018
    Hi!

I wanted to explain how to actually work with these templates
    First of all, the template you're looking at is called a UV Map. UV maps are the projection of 3d objects.
    Look at the picture below.
    PluG8.png
    The image on the left is the 3d object, and the image on the right is the same 3d object but on a 2d plane.

The shirts and objects here are a little more complex than that but they are explained through the little pictures in the top left corners. The numbers are there to help you identify which bit is which, but even with that, it can be confusing. I have pointed out which bit is which on a shirt in the next picture.
    dhfbhdjf_by_nyffix-dcpmih9.png

I hope this helps a bit. I'm not sure how to make it clearer.

To edit these templates all you'll need is a painting software. It could even be MS Paint. You don't need anything fancy if you don't want to make something fancy. But you can also use Gimp, Corel, Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai, Clip Studio Paint, Krita, and so on.

All you need to do is to draw inside of the lines given.

You don't need to multiply or overlay. You can even go outside the lines, it will not break anything. The only thing that will happen if you go outside the lines is that it will not show up on the object as you are drawing outside of it.
    Depending on the direction you paint in, or the direction in which you place an image, it will have a different direction on the object as well.

I hope this helped. Have fun!

ZatchMapleMasterMePunsyMcgee
  • UnicornDreamUnicornDream
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,300
    Snagged these before actually joining the forums, but yeah, thanks. You saved me from having to wait until after an update and after the servers restarted to make some UGC~
  • CorruptionYubelCorruptionYubel
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    edited 10:18AM October 25, 2018
    hey lookin for some one to help me make some boots n gloves that match my suite Template names H3lix in game shoot me a message please NA west
  • TobylolzTobylolz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    Hi guys,

where do I find staff template?

Kind regards
  • Sir_NicholasSir_Nicholas
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    Awesome!
    Although, I'd like to know if you can use transparent pixels. For example to make a ragged shirt.
    And to also know if you can resize the image for a higher resolution texture, and what's the maximum size?
  • KhongiKhongi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
    edited 4:35PM November 8, 2018
    Awesome!
    Although, I'd like to know if you can use transparent pixels. For example to make a ragged shirt.

Unfortunately not, what you'll see is the transparent squares on the final product, that's why people get creative with skin tones.

This is my skin chart (anyone feel free to add your own tones if you think mine are off)

5ZOqRF1.png
    *please note this swatch is slightly darker but the codes bellow are close to the in game color.

1. #FBEAE2
    2. #FCE1D6
    3. #FDD2C2
    4. #FFC2AD
    5. #F5B399
    6. #E39D7E
    7. #DB9073
    8. #CE7A58
    9. #B1674A
    10. #7F4C3B
    11. #F8EBDB
    12. #FDE5CD
    13. #FDD5B1
    14. #F3C79A
    15. #E2AF82

16. #D39E69
    17. #B88A58
    20. #68492D

(I find 12-15 are the most popular skin tones)

Hope this helps
    BlackBornXmipXPunsyMcgee
  • OddieASDFOddieASDF
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,580
    Did they release a texture guide for the new weapons yet?
  • BlackBornBlackBorn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    Khongi wrote: »
    Awesome!

Unfortunately not, what you'll see is the transparent squares on the final product, that's why people get creative with skin tones.

This is my skin chart (anyone feel free to add your own tones if you think mine are off)

5ZOqRF1.png
    *please note this swatch is slightly darker but the codes bellow are close to the in game color.

1. #FBEAE2
    2. #FCE1D6
    3. #FDD2C2
    4. #FFC2AD
    5. #F5B399
    6. #E39D7E
    7. #DB9073
    8. #CE7A58
    9. #B1674A
    10. #7F4C3B
    11. #F8EBDB
    12. #FDE5CD
    13. #FDD5B1
    14. #F3C79A
    15. #E2AF82

16. #D39E69
    17. #B88A58
    20. #68492D

(I find 12-15 are the most popular skin tones)

Hope this helps

Thank you...
  • PunsyMcgeePunsyMcgee
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 520
    edited 1:13AM September 18, 2019
    There has been quite some time since this has been posted, but I wanted to thank you for such the helpful templates!