Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

Botting is Ruining Early - Mid Game

NachanNachan
MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
edited 9:11AM November 7, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
I didn't make this post to yell at Nexon or say they aren't doing their job. It's simply to air my grievances, increase awareness and make a couple suggestions. I read the blog posts and I know the Maplestory 2 team hears us. I'm an introvert at heart and every time I encounter these issues I just get more angry and impatient. I figure I better get this off my chest before I explode and rage quit while I'm still relatively sane. With that explanation out of the way, here are the issues.

Meso Spamming
Now, I've played quite a few MMORPGS since I was in middle school (I'm in college now) and this seems to be quite common. The only difference from game to game is how bad the issue is. This has got to be the worst case of meso spamming in an mmorpg I've ever experienced. Sure, I have had to deal with meso spammers in chat before, but very rarely has it been something I couldn't get past by simply muting channels. In Maplestory 2 I have received meso ads in group chat, friend invitations and whispers. I've even seen ads on the public posters. Every time it happens I think to myself, wouldn't it be convenient if players could censor certain words, phrases and special symbols?

For example, I would be able to go to my status tab and have a place to type in [.com, meso, $, ect] to add multiple filters. What this would do is every time someone tries to send a message through any channel (local, guild, ect), their message would not appear. The whole channel mute feature is nice but its a temporary fix, not a permanent solution. With this change, players wouldn't need to mute local every time they pass through a crowded area and then remember unmute it while they are with friends or guild mates. This gets old fast. I don't know if adding a game wide website filter is something that Nexon could do or even should. Giving the player the option to do so seems like a more likely option to me. As for the group meso spam and others, I like the idea of increasing the level requirements to stop characters created instantly from spamming. Still I wonder, would that stop the mid game bots that already exist? It doesn't feel very final to me.

Dungeon/World Boss Bots
If we were to compare these issues in Maplestory 2 to an infestation in a building, meso spammers would be the occasional rat in the kitchen and the dungeon bots would be the entire rodent population living and breeding in the basement. You can set mouse traps and rat poison in the kitchen all day long (blocking and reporting bots) but you dread to go downstairs because you know thats where the real issue is.

At first it isn't too bad. Once you run Tronix, half the party is made of bots. Its where the sht hits the fan.
SherriMeso_Man
  1. Are bots still an issue in Maplestory 2?17 votes
    1. Yes
       100% (17 votes)
    2. No
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• TwerkinatorTwerkinator
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 760
    I wish they would promote Party Finder more, especially early on so new players are more inclined to use that instead of the Find Party function. You can't get bots if they aren't invited and you could even find people willing to teach you the game.
    NaishoDayoLinallaNachan
  • NaishoDayoNaishoDayo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    I wish they would promote Party Finder more, especially early on so new players are more inclined to use that instead of the Find Party function. You can't get bots if they aren't invited and you could even find people willing to teach you the game.

Yup. Most newer player doesn't even know about the Party Finder function when I mention it to them. It also took me quite a while discover it myself. It can allow us to more easily get into a specific party we want.
    Nachan
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    It's definitely an issue, especially watching all the bots run through doing the main quest when you are, it becomes a cluster...yeah.
  • KasorasKasoras
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,350
    You mean the early - mid game consisting of a total of 8 hours? At least with the bots you can get a full party, good luck finding one for early game content.
    Robotease
  • UngodlyUngodly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 600
    edited 7:52AM November 8, 2018
    "Once you run Tronix, half the party is made of bots"

That's putting it mildly imo. I play on EU servers and i literally have to exit 15-20 queues until i find a run without bots and in 10 of those queues i'm alone with bots. I used to report and block, but now i can't be bothered with reporting. It's too much work for something that seems pointless. Also, even if you block and report, they still end up in your queues.

Funny thing is that it seems to get worse the more they claim to battle this problem.
    I just feel like they should and could do more. The game need more "hands on" to fight the morale of the people who's doing this - especially when it comes to ad balloons and ad boards, which sometimes are up for days in Tria. And when it comes to bots - and this might be stupid - but how about adding some sort of Captcha - in the storyline or wherever - that stops the bots from progressing? Or slows it down. Now it feels like it's too easy to program these bots to follow a straight line and progress, without any speed bumps.
    Nachan
  • RoboteaseRobotease
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 440
    edited 8:51AM November 8, 2018
    Bottom line, if you hop into a random queue, you're gonna get in with some bots. There are some dungeons (when leveling alts early-mid game) where I don't really mind running with bots, cause they don't really get in my way or aren't able to contribute, but closer to mid-late, it's impossible. I ran some lv30 dungeon with three bots last night, the one with the Vayar, and it was miserable. 0/10 would not run with bots again.

Party finder needs to be pushed more, like maybe as a Maple Guide or something once a player hits lv 50.
    Nachan
  • NachanNachan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
    edited 10:32PM November 8, 2018
    Ungodly wrote: »
    And when it comes to bots - and this might be stupid - but how about adding some sort of Captcha - in the storyline or wherever - that stops the bots from progressing? Or slows it down. Now it feels like it's too easy to program these bots to follow a straight line and progress, without any speed bumps.

This idea is brilliant! Preferably there would be hundreds of them (that you could get), it would be randomized and it would be timed. This is so they can't just program around it.