Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Why are people so stingy with potions in FD runs?

Sammich88Sammich88
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,345
edited 11:57AM November 2, 2018 in General Chat
Lately I've ran a couple FD without a priest and half the team refuses to heal! They sit at 30% hp for like 10~20 seconds before finally dying and they STILL refuse to heal. What is the logic behind this? Why are they trying to save potions when there are no priests? If you play like this, why do you play like this? I can understand Berserkers to some extent and gave the Berserker(though that one Berserker did die too and not by burst but by burning slowly to death) the benefit of the doubt but the rest seems to just rather die than use their potions.

I've been monitoring their hp and by no means should they ever sit that long in low health. Or is there something I don't know and low health gives them some sorta super bonus that's worth dying for? Just to note there were more than 5 deaths during phase 1 and these guys were 3k+

Comments

• yudcyudc
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 990
    you spawn right next to the dragon in phase 1, as long as no one runs out of res it doesnt matter
  • KewkkyKewkky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,235
    Since it's hard getting actually good potions in the game, and considering how easy it is to predict FD's actually dangerous moves, it's ideal to save up potions for the dungeons that do require them.
    DanteYodaXtonyFloe
  • HosuHosu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,655
    Kewkky wrote: »
    Since it's hard getting actually good potions in the game, and considering how easy it is to predict FD's actually dangerous moves, it's ideal to save up potions for the dungeons that do require them.

Doing Halloween daily gives you 100 pumky juice that heals 800 HP every 4 seconds. If you don't like that they're temporary, Mapleopoly has given me 920 Sweet Adventurer potions, which are permanent. Not to mention lots of white herbs and white potions from random board landings.

I think they should at least be using the juice since 100 a day is way more than I go through even in something like Rune Temple or Lab Halls where mechanics force your to take damage.

My secret theory: They're trying to be pro and see how far they get without pots, and being absolutely terrible at the game, they don't get very far at all.
    UlukiniDanDK
  • KewkkyKewkky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,235
    edited 12:37PM November 2, 2018
    Hosu wrote: »

Doing Halloween daily gives you 100 pumky juice that heals 800 HP every 4 seconds. If you don't like that they're temporary, Mapleopoly has given me 920 Sweet Adventurer potions, which are permanent. Not to mention lots of white herbs and white potions from random board landings.

I think they should at least be using the juice since 100 a day is way more than I go through even in something like Rune Temple or Lab Halls where mechanics force your to take damage.

My secret theory: They're trying to be pro and see how far they get without pots, and being absolutely terrible at the game, they don't get very far at all.

Those Halloween potions, as well as most of the mapleopoly potions, are timed (you did mention this, but just pointing it out again). They will expire after a certain amount of time. Not only that, but if we were to use all those potions every time we got hit, how many would we have left over once the event ended? Plus it's not like being low on HP or dying once or twice will ruin a run. FD still dies pretty fast, yet we also save on potions for future use this way.

I personally always have my pet set to do auto-potion and it always uses event potions. However, as a class with low defense, getting hit once or twice = using a potion.
  • HosuHosu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,655

Those Halloween potions, as well as most of the mapleopoly potions, are timed (you did mention this, but just pointing it out again). They will expire after a certain amount of time. Not only that, but if we were to use all those potions every time we got hit, how many would we have left over once the event ended? Plus it's not like being low on HP or dying once or twice will ruin a run. FD still dies pretty fast, yet we also save on potions for future use this way.

I personally always have my pet set to do auto-potion and it always uses event potions. However, as a class with low defense, getting hit once or twice = using a potion.

Yeah but isn't that kind of the point? The juice is provided at a level where unless you're literally face-tanking everything, you shouldn't be running out ever right up until expiry. And if the pots are going to expire at all, isn't it even more prudent to use them up before then?

I get that some hard dungeons like FD aren't hard once you know the mechanics, and with chaos raids around the corner, people are maybe looking to save pots for that. From what I've seen though, Chaos Raids are one of those scenarios where messing up will generally 1-shot you. Ya can't pot if omae wa mo shindeiru.

Also, I don't think the OP clarified if they were just playing a little recklessly or dying repeatedly to the point of perma-tombstoning, I feel like that would clear things up a lot.
    DanDK
  • NikynoonooNikynoonoo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,655
    Well I occasionally do it because why waste more pots than I need to it's not like there is a punishment for dying besides rank at the end which doesn't really matter.
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • TseneTsene
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,475
    Well, I can see why as someone pointed out that you do have some free resses. I'm too paranoid so I just blast my pots at the first sign of danger.
  • UlukiniUlukini
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    It's kind of like low key like god complex kind of thing but I do think of myself as above the average person so I don't use potions.
  • AynixAynix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,085
    You have 5 free revives in FD. Getting back to boss, even in 2nd phase takes like 15 sec. No point in wasting potions adnd money to save like 30 sec(if you dont have free potions from event)
  • SaranethSaraneth
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,995
    edited 5:33PM November 3, 2018
    I just have my pet set to auto use a Pumpkin Juice when I drop below 50% and an Elixir when I drop below 20% just as a precaution. Since I play berserker I can usually keep myself healthy with Bloodlust.
  • Sammich88Sammich88
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like every one has their reasons.
    Aynix wrote: »
    You have 5 free revives in FD. Getting back to boss, even in 2nd phase takes like 15 sec. No point in wasting potions adnd money to save like 30 sec(if you dont have free potions from event)
    Meanwhile that's true, if they already burned 2~3 lives without a priest and reach the final stage... What's the guarantee here that they won't accidentally slip up and burn the remaining ones and become dead weight leaving the only survivors to carry the team(basically me and this other person who was willing to heal). Seems silly that they can't even use event potions which are more than plenty per day to run the FD dungeon.
  • DarrithDarrith
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,495

That's when I'd kick you from the group (taking 15 secs to run back in 2nd phase).
  • KugelblitzKugelblitz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 780
    Darrith wrote: »

That's when I'd kick you from the group (taking 15 secs to run back in 2nd phase).

Oh, you're one of those jerks?

• RalleYTNRalleYTN
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,615
    orc46k85icc11.jpg

a mentality that isn't reserved to skyrim
    Sammich88FloeRezi
  • DarrithDarrith
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,495
    edited 4:33AM November 5, 2018
    Kugelblitz wrote: »

The jerk is the person who refuses to a) learn the fight and not die b) use a potion if they can’t do a, out of greed c) instant revive if they won’t do a or b because, again, they’re too greedy and leave their party members to do the work while they casually walk their way back to the fight.

If the person was obviously new/low gs/learning the fight I’d give them a pass, but greedy people like you would get kicked in a heartbeat. It’s your responsibility to do your share and that includes either consumables or, if you’re too greedy for that, get good at the fight. Otherwise you’re dead weight.
    FloeDochiArSkulder
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    Kugelblitz wrote: »

The jerk is the person who refuses to a) learn the fight and not die b) use a potion if they can’t do a, out of greed c) instant revive if they won’t do a or b because, again, they’re too greedy and leave their party members to do the work while they casually walk their way back to the fight.

If the person was obviously new/low gs/learning the fight I’d give them a pass, but greedy people like you would get kicked in a heartbeat. It’s your responsibility to do your share and that includes either consumables or, if you’re too greedy for that, get good at the fight. Otherwise you’re dead weight.

tbh depends on how hardcore your pt recruitment was. If you said fast runs or something like that and they don't use pots i just leave and recruit new one. If you just are recruiting bunch of randoms can't complain tho
  • BanchanBanchan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 710
    As a priest main when I see pt members not using pots at 1 hp when im millions of miles away I start visualizing their brains as being a hamster running on a wheel that has gotten tired and collapsed.
  • OhmygodOhmygod
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 695
    Isn't there a gear that lowers hp per attack? Berserkers also have a passive that does this. Using pots would be a huge waste of resources.
  • Sammich88Sammich88
    edited 10:46PM November 6, 2018
    Ohmygod wrote: »
    Isn't there a gear that lowers hp per attack? Berserkers also have a passive that does this. Using pots would be a huge waste of resources.
    Yeah I think so but I can't speak for that. As for Berserkers though, you have a skill that lowers your HP by 1% per attack but you gain damage while the buff/debuff is up. You don't get stronger the lower your hp falls, in fact you step a little closer to death faster than other classes during this buff. So how is using potions a waste of resource? Would you rather die? Because again when your HP drops lower, your damage doesn't get higher. Your HP just gets lower and you just inch closer to death that's it. It's almost an obligation to use pots under Blood Price.