May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Custom meshed items

GandalfTheGayGandalfTheGay
MapleStory 2 Rep: 655
in Suggestions and Feedback
So, I thought about this for a while, custom model meshing.
For example, in the game I would like a top hat with a custom design, but there isn't any top hats in the game, however the items people make wouldn't be allowed instantly, would need to be reviewed by the maple team before they can start using it or list it on the merit market (to prevent people from making stuff that would violate TOS, eg: people making phallic objects and stuff)

This custom meshing would be for, hats, headgear, weapons, pretty much everything there is currently a template for except for furnishings (Due to them having pretty much all you need for an amazing house)
  1. Do you think Custom Meshing should be added with the review process?10 votes
    1. Yes
       80% (8 votes)
    2. No
       20% (2 votes)

Comments

• GandalfTheGayGandalfTheGay
  • ArtimessheedArtimessheed
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,020
    I do agree. However it may make things more complex, what with .mtl files needed to be autogenerated in order for templates/textures to properly fit on a 3D model. That said, the idea (within bounding box restrictions), would give a whole new dimension to custom weapon outfits.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,030
    I do agree. However it may make things more complex, what with .mtl files needed to be autogenerated in order for templates/textures to properly fit on a 3D model. That said, the idea (within bounding box restrictions), would give a whole new dimension to custom weapon outfits.

Wouldn't it just be simpler if the game applied a standard material across all meshes? The game doesn't have a very complex lighting system so textures matter more than materials ever would.
  • AtriaWulfAtriaWulf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    I think instead of being reviewed by maple team "as we know that would mean things would never be finished reviewing" it should be reviewed by upstanding players, and require multiple votes to get something passed. Like 10 votes, and to entice players to do the reviews, give them in game items, or maybe you get 1 - 2 merets for every 20 items reviewed or something. of course the players would have to be 18+ you never know what will come out of peoples creative minds.
    GandalfTheGay
    edited 4:59PM November 6, 2018
    AtriaWulf wrote: »
    I think instead of being reviewed by maple team "as we know that would mean things would never be finished reviewing" it should be reviewed by upstanding players, and require multiple votes to get something passed. Like 10 votes, and to entice players to do the reviews, give them in game items, or maybe you get 1 - 2 merets for every 20 items reviewed or something. of course the players would have to be 18+ you never know what will come out of peoples creative minds.

this is a good idea, however, this would require them having to add community workshop reviewers, which i am doubtful will happen, but i am not going to say that it is impossible
  • PikangiePikangie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 915
    edited 9:11PM November 6, 2018
    Yes for sure!
    I do 3D modeling (low poly anime/toon style is my specialization too) and would love to be able to make 3D models for MS2, especially for clothing or even hair (that is probably asking too much, sadly).

The only problem I can see is the problem that Second Life has, where many of the modelers have not been educated about optimization for 3D models for video games, causing awful lag for people with average or below PCs because many modelers think it's fine to have a single earring be 100k polys (NOPE!)... so Nexon would have to be strict about poly count to ensure there's not models with like 5k+ polys or 1600x900 overly-high resolution textures. Luckily for the current UGC, they do auto-resize textures which saves us from lagging worse than we already do.
    5k polys is even too much for a game like this. I have made entire non-chibi anime character models in less than 7k polys with fancy layered kimonos.

In addition, I think it'd be good if they require an application process for the modeler to sign up for and show examples of their work and take a written test on the MS2 TOS, guidelines, and general Intellectual Property laws and be approved by a human moderator, kind of like applying for a volunteer job, but this is just for being able to submit your model for review. This process may be a hassle, but it would repel trolls and thieves (including those who will rip models from other games/artists), and help educate serious beginner modelers to learn optimization techniques.
    Honestly, I think having too many quantity of models could also cause some problems like game file size (or cache size)... which is another reason I'd hope they're strict.
    But I can also see this having negative feedback as being "elitist"... >.<

I'd be all for it, though, as long as they kept it strict.

But I doubt they will, because there's probably a limit to how sandbox-y Nexon wants this game to be, and it means more work for their GMs or that they have to... dun dun DUN, hire more GMs which costs Nexon some of their billions of dollars. :(
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,195
    @GandalfTheGay: Please refrain from bumping your own post.
    'ight, soz dr, wasn't aware bumps weren't allowed
  • MedamaudeeMedamaudee
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 730
    Poly count matters a lot and I feel like there is a lot of things you need to know when modeling for a game that most people are unaware of. I really love the idea but they probably will just leave all the modeling to their artists. Also if you make your own clothing, it would need to be rigged which is a giant pain (in my opinion) and extra work for the riggers at Nexon. Probably better off just making fanart :-))
    Pikangie