Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Idea to encourage people to report bots

RalleYTNRalleYTN
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,615
Posts: 105
Member
edited 2:01AM November 5, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
A bounty.
If you report someone as a bot and they actually get identified as a bot and banned send the people who reported something.
Doesn't matter if it's RNG or not.
I guarantee some bounty hunter groups will form among the player base and hunt down bots.
Just a thought though.
PikangieSherriTele
  1. Do you actually bother with reporting bots?35 votes
    1. Yes!
       66% (23 votes)
    2. No!
       20% (7 votes)
    3. Only if the bot/scam is too obvious like reserved picture displays or something.
       14% (5 votes)

Comments

  • LeilafiLeilafi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    Posts: 40
    Member
    some real players don't even answer when you think they're bots. which turns into a bigger issue.
    But, you do realize that you can get into trouble for false reporting, no?
    In any case, though, check and see if they're real, find some way to determine. Most bots have a random character combination, example
    eadfaet.
    Most robots don't reply to you.
    Most bots lag a lot and lag teleport.
    Most bots have a set pattern they do.
    If you're unsure, whisper then or ask in Party.
    If no answer, it's probably a 50/50 chance they're a bot or some person
    who just don't want to talk to you but don't know if you're about to actually report them, or not, for being a bot.
  • DracoKamiDracoKami
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,610
    Posts: 96
    Member
    There should not be a reward for sending reports. Creating a reward leads to false flag situations which can hurt real players who may simply not talk or are being repetitious. I hate bots as much you do but I don't think there should be a reward beyond knowing you're cleaning the server up a bit.
    GaiktosuUlukiniTendiezuCariseiXtonyVeremisiaTele
  • NaishoDayoNaishoDayo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    Posts: 50
    Member
    Back in Head Start, I reported over 100 bots and filled up my block list. After release, I removed them from my block list then continued to report new bots who reached level 50 to spam. By now, I gave up because it's not easy with a limited block list. All that matters is that Nexon knows of the problem and seems to be working on a solution. If they manage an antidote for this bot plague then it's for the better.

    This bounty thing could indeed help, but I hope that reporting bots not become a part of Maplestory 2 gameplay. hahah
    PikangieLinalla
  • KugelblitzKugelblitz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 780
    Posts: 29
    Member
    edited 5:24PM November 5, 2018
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Back in Head Start, I reported over 100 bots and filled up my block list. After release, I removed them from my block list then continued to report new bots who reached level 50 to spam. By now, I gave up because it's not easy with a limited block list. All that matters is that Nexon knows of the problem and seems to be working on a solution. If they manage an antidote for this bot plague then it's for the better.

    This bounty thing could indeed help, but I hope that reporting bots not become a part of Maplestory 2 gameplay. hahah

    Don't understand why there is a limit. Even if we all blocked 10,000 each it would take up less than a few floppy disks worth of space on the database.
    Fearmypaws
  • NaishoDayoNaishoDayo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    Posts: 50
    Member
    Kugelblitz wrote: »
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Back in Head Start, I reported over 100 bots and filled up my block list. After release, I removed them from my block list then continued to report new bots who reached level 50 to spam. By now, I gave up because it's not easy with a limited block list. All that matters is that Nexon knows of the problem and seems to be working on a solution. If they manage an antidote for this bot plague then it's for the better.

    This bounty thing could indeed help, but I hope that reporting bots not become a part of Maplestory 2 gameplay. hahah

    Don't understand why there is a limit. Even if we all blocked 10,000 each it would take up less than a few floppy disks worth of space on the database.

    In short, my guess is that the block list was never intended for bots. Most of us would probably never see the need to block 100 players. :/
  • zlOwOlzzlOwOlz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 865
    Posts: 81
    Member
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Kugelblitz wrote: »
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Back in Head Start, I reported over 100 bots and filled up my block list. After release, I removed them from my block list then continued to report new bots who reached level 50 to spam. By now, I gave up because it's not easy with a limited block list. All that matters is that Nexon knows of the problem and seems to be working on a solution. If they manage an antidote for this bot plague then it's for the better.

    This bounty thing could indeed help, but I hope that reporting bots not become a part of Maplestory 2 gameplay. hahah

    Don't understand why there is a limit. Even if we all blocked 10,000 each it would take up less than a few floppy disks worth of space on the database.

    In short, my guess is that the block list was never intended for bots. Most of us would probably never see the need to block 100 players. :/

    wait until you get bot's sending you friend requests lol, it will fill up your list REAL quick
  • RalleYTNRalleYTN
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,615
    Posts: 105
    Member
    zlOwOlz wrote: »
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Kugelblitz wrote: »
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Back in Head Start, I reported over 100 bots and filled up my block list. After release, I removed them from my block list then continued to report new bots who reached level 50 to spam. By now, I gave up because it's not easy with a limited block list. All that matters is that Nexon knows of the problem and seems to be working on a solution. If they manage an antidote for this bot plague then it's for the better.

    This bounty thing could indeed help, but I hope that reporting bots not become a part of Maplestory 2 gameplay. hahah

    Don't understand why there is a limit. Even if we all blocked 10,000 each it would take up less than a few floppy disks worth of space on the database.

    In short, my guess is that the block list was never intended for bots. Most of us would probably never see the need to block 100 players. :/

    wait until you get bot's sending you friend requests lol, it will fill up your list REAL quick

    I have this problem alot. Just minding my own business when you get 2 - 10 friend requests in a single batch of people with such lovely names such as HHGjkL and ZuITTu and the message $€ll ch€4p m€$0
    Tele
  • Mirab3lleMirab3lle
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    Posts: 16
    Member
    I think this might help. Incentive for the 24% of ABSOLUTE PIECES OF HUMAN TRASH that voted that they don't report bots, and an incentive to give up for the even bigger pieces of garbage making the bots to not make them in the first place if they're gonna get banned in .5 seconds.

    Most of the time it's painfully obvious who's a bot and who's not. If the name is absolute jibberish and they're a priest they're a bot. And obviously those that are spamming, placing balloons, and taking up displays and land for ads. If the name seems mildly pronounceable I give them the benefit of the doubt but I still hit 100 in my blocked list alarmingly quickly.
  • PikangiePikangie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 915
    Posts: 39
    Member
    RalleYTN wrote: »
    A bounty.
    If you report someone as a bot and they actually get identified as a bot and banned send the people who reported something.
    Doesn't matter if it's RNG or not.
    I guarantee some bounty hunter groups will form among the player base and hunt down bots.
    Just a thought though.

    I remember in Mabinogi they used to have these bomb items in the general shop that you could buy to use on bots (but only if they were in attack stance), and it would kick the bot offline (as they were probably not equipped to solve the captchas)... but I think they might have removed it since people used it on each other (also if you solved the captcha, you'd get quite a bit of EXP). But in that case, it was bad implementation by Nexon.
    You couldn't report the stationary advertising bots in town, who were the biggest nuisance to players, and if they did let you use it on stationary characters, you'd probably see a lot of AFK human players get abused from it. If it sent the "bot" as a report to GMs, it'd be another story since then they could track who false-reported and punish them... but I am sure the GMs would be too lazy or busy to want to deal with that on top of their normal work days.
  • AtriaWulfAtriaWulf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    Posts: 18
    Member
    It's not the reporting thats the problem, it's Nexon not doing anything about it.
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    Posts: 690
    Member
    edited 8:37PM November 6, 2018
    DracoKami wrote: »
    There should not be a reward for sending reports. Creating a reward leads to false flag situations which can hurt real players who may simply not talk or are being repetitious. I hate bots as much you do but I don't think there should be a reward beyond knowing you're cleaning the server up a bit.

    Even if it's only reporting bots? I mean, the moderation team would probably be able to figure out between a false reported player and a bot.
    If the moderation team is bots/AI themselves... then maybe not. >3>
    RalleYTN
  • NaishoDayoNaishoDayo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    Posts: 50
    Member
    RalleYTN wrote: »
    zlOwOlz wrote: »
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Kugelblitz wrote: »
    NaishoDayo wrote: »
    Back in Head Start, I reported over 100 bots and filled up my block list. After release, I removed them from my block list then continued to report new bots who reached level 50 to spam. By now, I gave up because it's not easy with a limited block list. All that matters is that Nexon knows of the problem and seems to be working on a solution. If they manage an antidote for this bot plague then it's for the better.

    This bounty thing could indeed help, but I hope that reporting bots not become a part of Maplestory 2 gameplay. hahah

    Don't understand why there is a limit. Even if we all blocked 10,000 each it would take up less than a few floppy disks worth of space on the database.

    In short, my guess is that the block list was never intended for bots. Most of us would probably never see the need to block 100 players. :/

    wait until you get bot's sending you friend requests lol, it will fill up your list REAL quick

    I have this problem alot. Just minding my own business when you get 2 - 10 friend requests in a single batch of people with such lovely names such as HHGjkL and ZuITTu and the message $€ll ch€4p m€$0

    After bot friend requests started for me... I just disabled friend requests in my settings. It's surely not too difficult for someone who wants to be my friend to ask first, so this doesn't really do me any harm.