Check out the v16 1st Anniversary Update patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45834

Lets' be Brutally Honest for Once

Comments

• KewkkyKewkky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,235
    I'm a male, my main is always male, and I don't care if players make characters opposite their sex. Dating in MS2 is too cringy for me.
    HowlyeLeilafivaltroisSherriidontreallyknowman
  • MynameisAlfieriMynameisAlfieri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 795
    Veremisia wrote: »
    I think a lot of guys play female characters. This has a couple of reasons. Some, or so they say, prefer to stare at female butts while they game. And others just think that female characters look generally better than males, in which I have to say - I fully agree. Almost all the guy friends I have play female characters. There's some exceptions, where some of the guys I know play exclusively male characters, because they can't identify with a female character.

Playing a male character as a female and not revealing ones real life gender has the pro of dodging those weird guys that start being all friendly and buddy buddy with you, once you tell them you are female. Happened to me more often than not and I don't like it. Treat me like you would treat anyone, don't treat me any different, just because I'm a girl.

Hey there!!!! ;) lol jk. I understand that entirely. I am a guy and I get irritated when I see guys chase after girl gamers. So many fakes tbh.
    valtrois
  • MynameisAlfieriMynameisAlfieri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 795
    edited 2:47AM November 3, 2018
    Idk why my profile name is this. Its triggering me... anyways, if anyone wants a friend to run FD or what not, feel free to add me. Ign: Alfi
    3700ish gs +11 weapon heavy gunner. I don't mind helping others either
  • wrexnfxwrexnfx
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,145
    I'm happily taken but I play a girl character as a guy. Specifically Heavy Gunner because the voice actress did a phenomenal job.
    OneConfusedMilletianSherri
  • MommaMakoMommaMako
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,275
    I'm a girl that plays cute girls, though I really don't care if anyone says otherwise, I understand the reasoning and even though they're wrong, what does it matter? all I want to do is make a cute avatar and blow stuff up with magic
    AkanezoraLeilafiOneConfusedMilletianSherritinyfruitbat
  • Nanachi_CCCPNanachi_CCCP
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,900
    In this country people believe even if it may sound funny to some of you,that male players that play male characters(when there is choice to play women with same skills) are probably homosexuals.
    And I can kinda see why.
    If I'm going to spend 8 hours everyday looking at some button polygons and bobs polygons,better be opposite gender.
    lara_old1.jpeg?w=439&h=538
    And now to be more on maple specific topic,male characters in this game look very girly so you can not do "It is easier to roleplay as someone that looks like me" card
    Unless you are some cute trap ;^) So might as well just accept your destiny and become cute girl.

3AgVVML.jpg
    This is my only male characters,gonna delete him when new class does get released as i find ass-as-sin super boring

leveling him just to finally get that white color trophy.
  • idontreallyknowmanidontreallyknowman
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,060
    Female, play females, I look cute for me and that's about it.
  • AcheronsAcherons
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 975
    So a lot of people play the female characters due to the visual appeal of them right?
  • TseneTsene
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,475
    edited 12:49PM November 3, 2018
    I'm a woman and all my characters are female. Not really for self-insert purposes, I just like the female characters more in this game (hair/eye choises etc).
  • AcheronsAcherons
    Ok that makes more sense
  • Baby_SimbaBaby_Simba
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 430
    It's the same with some kids like Barbies and some like G.I. Joes. It is just the outer shell they feel most comfortable playing as or telling a story as.

It's 2018, there shouldn't be any gender limitations.
    OneConfusedMilletianvaltroisSherri
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    Even if someone get's catfished, it's ultimately that person's fault, hate to play the badguy.
    Sometimes, though, it has to be that way.
    You can be really good but get nowhere and people will carry you for favors, wealth, because you're cute, because you're a girl
    It's more the person's fault over that catfisher. But, if you have friends and are in a guild, you'll also get more gear and ultimately carried, if you ask
    and people will think you're a catfish that way too.
    I've, also, seen males, that were really cute, catfishing and getting hit on, so it's not just female players.

If you are trying to date over a game, of course you're going to either get catfished or hurt
    some people get lucky and find their one over the game, but it's dangerous and the victim is
    that person still trying to find lover over the internet. It's as much the fault of the catfisher as it is the catfished.

There are also, tons of streamers on here. Those streamers do have friends and they just do things together, unfortunately the female streamers
    do have admirers who do baby them but they don't like it, some do some don't, however ; they don't want their followers to feel some type of way
    so involuntarily get things because of a fan is like "let me do this and that for you, please!" so that can seem like a catfish but it's a guy that
    is trying to impress.
    Acheronsvaltrois
  • AcheronsAcherons
    Damn that was a good explanation.
    Leilafi
  • valtroisvaltrois
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    Leilafi wrote: »
    Even if someone get's catfished, it's ultimately that person's fault, hate to play the badguy.
    Sometimes, though, it has to be that way.
    You can be really good but get nowhere and people will carry you for favors, wealth, because you're cute, because you're a girl
    It's more the person's fault over that catfisher. But, if you have friends and are in a guild, you'll also get more gear and ultimately carried, if you ask
    and people will think you're a catfish that way too.
    I've, also, seen males, that were really cute, catfishing and getting hit on, so it's not just female players.

If you are trying to date over a game, of course you're going to either get catfished or hurt
    some people get lucky and find their one over the game, but it's dangerous and the victim is
    that person still trying to find lover over the internet. It's as much the fault of the catfisher as it is the catfished.

There are also, tons of streamers on here. Those streamers do have friends and they just do things together, unfortunately the female streamers
    do have admirers who do baby them but they don't like it, some do some don't, however ; they don't want their followers to feel some type of way
    so involuntarily get things because of a fan is like "let me do this and that for you, please!" so that can seem like a catfish but it's a guy that
    is trying to impress.

I love the way you explained everything for OP. As you've said, ultimately it is their fault if they have been catfished, or used, because some will notice that they will go out of their way to do nice things for a person when they realise they are a girl, or someone else they are attracted to, even if they do not know said person well. When you set yourself up like that, it is hard to not be used by others.
    Well-written, Leilafi.
    Leilafi
  • ReziRezi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,465
    - She said she cant reveal her voice, and she gave me a picture. I reverse searched and found matching results..
    - Legit one is actually spammed by guys already. Lol

You'd be surprised how often #2 leads to #1.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    I am transgender and as such, I just play as the gender I identify with most, female.

I will admit, about 13 years ago, when I played my first MMORPG I catfished someone even when not playing a female character. I liked someone a lot, but they were male and so I told them I was female. They believed it, well a lot of people did actually XD. I didn't really understand why I did something like that, it confused me but it felt right. Not right as in moral, or ethical, but right as ... it just felt more natural for me, it felt like me which was something I felt I had lost a long time ago.

Long story short, one of my best friends in real life ratted me out. I remained friends with everyone, including the person I catfished. I guess they understood I didn't have any ill intentions by doing it. I can say it was a pretty heartbreaking experience for me. I even had someone who wouldn't believe it. They were 100% sure I was female. They thought I was doing this just to drive them away. Took a lot to convince them.

Ever since that experience, I now pretty much always come forward as being transgender as soon as it seems someone is hitting on me because I never want to go through that again. I consider myself female and as such, I play female characters.
    LeilafiVerdant
  • AcheronsAcherons
    @MarchinBunny Thanks for your explanation! I never knew how you felt so this is new things I'm learning!
  • ReziRezi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,465
    edited 12:04PM November 4, 2018
    I am transgender and as such, I just play as the gender I identify with most, female.

What a clean and concise answer.

I didn't really understand why I did something like that, it confused me but it felt right.

Something doesn't feel right imo.

I guess they understood I didn't have any ill intentions by doing it. I can say it was a pretty heartbreaking experience for me.

But you were the catfisher...

Ever since that experience, I now pretty much always come forward as being transgender as soon as it seems someone is hitting on me.

Now I just feel sorry for you, because most people that would have the benefit of the doubt later on are probably weirded out by that being the first thing you say in reply to their flirting. Not, I'm not interested, or I'd need to get to know you first, or anything like that. Just...revealing something super personal right off the bat.

I'm glad that games help you feel that you can be someone that you weren't born as, but like... Maybe you shouldn't define every possible relationship you could have by starting with that. Good luck. :)
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    edited 4:24PM November 4, 2018
    Rezi wrote: »
    Something doesn't feel right imo.
    Not really certain what you mean by that. What feels right is simply what feels natural to a person. Are you saying there is no such thing of that? Cause I am pretty sure pretty much anything that is wrong with you physically would feel unnatural and wrong. Like having a hand chopped off, as an extreme example. And anything that makes you feel complete and healthy would be feeling right.

Or being yourself would be right while not being yourself would be wrong. I don't know, I figured this word usage was self-explanatory XD.
    But you were the catfisher...
    Indeed, but that doesn't change the fact that I liked him at the time, and we could no longer be together. I would even go far as to argue he was my first love, which is pretty crazy since I was 18 at the time. The thing is ... I never even considered dating guys before because of how it was perceived as being wrong. I just knew any girl that wanted to get with me, it just didn't seem to work out ever. Not compatible. With that said as of now, I am pretty sure I am bi ... just falling for guys is much easier since they tend to fall more in line with what I am attracted to personality wise.
    Now I just feel sorry for you, because most people that would have the benefit of the doubt later on are probably weirded out by that being the first thing you say in reply to their flirting. Not, I'm not interested, or I'd need to get to know you first, or anything like that. Just...revealing something super personal right off the bat.
    I don't think you realize how pissed off people get if you don't tell them something like that and allow them to continue to hit on you without them knowing. They will feel like you tricked them. I don't think telling people I am transgender is all that personal, to be honest. I don't see it as any different than telling someone you are not male or female.
    I'm glad that games help you feel that you can be someone that you weren't born as, but like... Maybe you shouldn't define every possible relationship you could have by starting with that. Good luck. :)
    Every relationship in existence starts off with sex and gender (well usually ... might be wrong with today's political correctness .. but I can't think of any situation where those two things don't apply at the start of a relationship), so I have no idea what you mean.

AcheronsLeilafi
  • NaishoDayoNaishoDayo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    edited 4:49PM November 4, 2018
    I am male but usually play female in most game. As to why... probably because I'd much rather be looking at a kawaii female character vs a male (cough* not saying male characters not kawaii) while playing the game. And maybe because prior gaming experience tells me that female characters tend to have better cosmetic options than male.

For gear score requirements, I'm not kind enough to give leeway regardless of gender in game or irl. I would only help/carry friends when I feel like it.
    I can see me preferring to make friends with female over male characters... but I mostly keep to myself, so most of my friends in game are my irl friends.
    And I look cute only for myself and so that I can brag to my friends. That's about it.

Clearly my character is the cutest of them all, so it's just not possible for other characters to catfish me.