Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

I want to enjoy this game, but I just can't.

KonotoriKonotori
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
edited 9:35PM November 3, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
I love so many things about this game, from the art and music, to the mini games / side activities and all that... but, just like every other MMO these days, the game sacrifices actual gameplay to appeal to as many people as possible and con them for whatever they're willing to spend.

A lot of classes do their highest damage through macroing two buttons and just holding down the macro (hell, half of Wizard's skill tree is useless), there are no mechanics or anything to boss fights, there's no challenging content whatsoever... it's just a big grind fest -- then combine that with all the F2P timegating, lack of content (also because of F2P), crafting being worthless, and all that... I knew the game would be that way, given who made it and what MS1 was, but I wanted to believe there'd be at least one MMO I could enjoy these days.

I should know better though. Games aren't made for people like me anymore.
FantasykittenDanDKShawnyy

Comments

• WhyWhyWhyWhy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,270
    edited 9:35PM November 3, 2018
    Ms2 was made with being an social mmo in mind , the game was kept as simple as it can be so everyone can play them .

Timegate is needed so people don't progress too fast , nexon trying to please both side causes this , players with tons of time will just out progress players who have to work . in other games the p2w part is how player who works catches up , but nexon trying to make ms2 a none p2w game removed that option.
    OneConfusedMilletianZarozianWTB
  • ZarozianZarozian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,520
    WhyWhy wrote: »
    Ms2 was made with being an social mmo in mind , the game was kept as simple as it can be so everyone can play them .

Timegate is needed so people don't progress too fast , nexon trying to please both side causes this , players with tons of time will just out progress players who have to work . in other games the p2w part is how player who works catches up , but nexon trying to make ms2 a none p2w game removed that option.

I am quite surprised and almost proud of them for doing that. I just hope it stays that way in the future. Maybe with some community oriented events where people can socialize more.
    OneConfusedMilletianLeilafi
  • AulannAulann
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 620
    While I agree that some of the classes need a bit of re-tuning (Wizard and Thief) Chaos raids haven't been released and that's when the real game play starts and you will need to actually work well with others to do them. See if you still feel the same after doing them.
    Zarozian
  • ZarozianZarozian
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,520
    Aulann wrote: »
    While I agree that some of the classes need a bit of re-tuning (Wizard and Thief) Chaos raids haven't been released and that's when the real game play starts and you will need to actually work well with others to do them. See if you still feel the same after doing them.

That’s why jerks will never move forward. ;)
  • LeilafiLeilafi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 935
    The game JUST came out recently, in NA. Give it a break, it's only been a freaking month,
    you expect it to just push out everything with the snap of its fingers? No game does this.
    Why don't you just actually talk to people, make friends, get a latte, do something then just whine.
    Let it grow, see where it takes you, give it time! It's not going to come out of the womb a full adult!
    If you're going to sit his and critique why don't you just become a game designer and make a game yourself.
    SaranethMeso_Man
  • KhalykKhalyk
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,400
    Konotori wrote: »
    I love so many things about this game, from the art and music, to the mini games / side activities and all that... but, just like every other MMO these days, the game sacrifices actual gameplay to appeal to as many people as possible and con them for whatever they're willing to spend.

A lot of classes do their highest damage through macroing two buttons and just holding down the macro (hell, half of Wizard's skill tree is useless), there are no mechanics or anything to boss fights, there's no challenging content whatsoever... it's just a big grind fest -- then combine that with all the F2P timegating, lack of content (also because of F2P), crafting being worthless, and all that... I knew the game would be that way, given who made it and what MS1 was, but I wanted to believe there'd be at least one MMO I could enjoy these days.

I should know better though. Games aren't made for people like me anymore.

Uh you realize this is an E 10+ mmo designed more around Habbo hotel then around EQ right? Pool's closed btw.
    Howlye
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,535
    I've brough all of this up in a number of other threads I've made, there's a lot of failures of game design in MS2 that seem to just be patched over with temporary systems, that just take a fun albeit casual game and turn it into a monster of a grindfest. For no real reason.
    But there's a lot of potential for a really fantastic game here, as long as they don't keep running down this gear treadmill RNG upgrade time-gate road, anyway.
    So I'll stick around, I don't think Nexon is deliberately going out of their way to sabotage their own game, I just think a lot of stuff is in early development and we're going to have to wait a while before they can start giving concrete responses to the issues everyone's having.
    Game development takes time, after all.
    HowlyeDanDK
  • SecrotsSecrots
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,475
    edited 4:37AM November 4, 2018
    Just throwing this out here, but there's only one thing on Wizard's skill tree that is useless and that's Mana Claw. A current 4man record of 3:30 shows that Wizard uses every single skill aside from Chain Lightning and Mana Claw (Ice Spear being for PvP).

I agree that there's improvements to be made to things like Life Skills though. Right now it feels like I'm just doing it to be doing it and there's no real motivator other than the buffs you get from Alchemy/Cooking.
  • ArtimessheedArtimessheed
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,020
    edited 5:25PM November 4, 2018
    I'm told there will be improvements on life skills in future updates (smiting defo needs some). Also, what you CAN do and what you are WILLING to do, are two different things, combat wise (and kina game-wise too). How the skills are structured in MS2 is actually really good, because they now rely more on the creativity (or lack thereof) from the player. The game doesn't focus on combat alone, and that's another boon of MS2 over MS1, the latter of which focuses ONLY on bossing/grinding after lv 150.
    I suppose you can dislike the game if its not your style, but don't blame the game if you yourself are at fault on some of your critiques.
  • AnOldGeezerAnOldGeezer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,740
    Leilafi wrote: »
    The game JUST came out recently, in NA. Give it a break, it's only been a freaking month,
    you expect it to just push out everything with the snap of its fingers? No game does this.
    Why don't you just actually talk to people, make friends, get a latte, do something then just whine.
    Let it grow, see where it takes you, give it time! It's not going to come out of the womb a full adult!
    If you're going to sit his and critique why don't you just become a game designer and make a game yourself.

Game developer
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Leilafi wrote: »

Already left several pages of feedback about obvious things to improve since before the first CBT. It's sad that Nexon owns the rights to the game and seems only intent on making it as bad as possible and ignoring everything that has been stated for half a year. Definitely wouldn't mind designing the game myself or letting any other developer with actual common sense take over, but sadly those are all dream scenarios.
  • WTBWTB
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 900
    edited 10:02AM November 5, 2018
    I'm not really sure what players, especially the self-professed "hardcore" players, seem to expect from a game that is only a month old. We don't even have Chaos Raids out yet!
    Coming from WoW and having done Mythic raiding as well, I'm struggling to understand what makes this game so especially "time-gated" and "grindy," while somehow still simultaneously being "too casual," to many of the players on the forums complaining about the game. What sets this game apart as so time-gated and grindy it's unable to be tolerated vs other games (like WoW that has tons of time gating/bottlenecking) that do much of the same thing? How can a game be called too easy when the difficult end game content isn't even out yet?

As for the game sacrificing actual gameplay in favor of appealing to more casual players.... You have a legitimate point here. I do think they are putting concerted effort into making the game accessible to more people, and I do not think that is a bad thing. I think all that really means is this is not a hardcore game and those who want that experience will need to go elsewhere. Sometimes a game isn't made for hardcore players. You'll simply have to move on and find one that does.
  • PilikenPiliken
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,540
    While this game does have a lot of social/casual content to do, in terms of PVE/endgame it is lacking a bit. The combat is fun and rewarding, but the classes themselves are overly simplistic. It kind of reminds me of vanilla WoW where every class started out with a 1-3 button rotation for killing mobs and bosses. Over the years they added and took away from each class until it reached the BFA state where every class has at a minimum a 3 skill rotation with resources/procs/buffs/windows of opportunity to enhance their game play.

MS2 in Korea/China have the awakening system and that does make most classes we currently have more interesting. The only downside is the damage % of skills for each class. They are currently out of wack and after awakening are in a similar position. Rune Blader goes from having 3-5 skills to use in combat to spamming 1 button because it's the highest damage. Wizard goes from spamming flame wave to having 4-6 skills to use in addition to flame wave. So some classes become more interesting while others become more simple. This is all due to skill balance and i don't think Nexon has a team dedicated to testing out classes skills and tweaking them until they fit in a rotation where they all have a use and none of the spam skills outshine the cooldown ones.

I don't know if our overlords in the west have any say on class tuning since i don't think we can deviate from the KMS/CMS, but until PVP comes out buffing some of the under used/never used skills for classes would go a long way in allowing diversity in skill builds. I also don't know if there is a beta/test version of the game to test class balancing before it makes it to the live game.

I main Wizard atm and i know the flame wave animation canceling is the highest dps/dpm in terms of PVE. The ice and lightning skills get next to no use because of their damage % and for lighting SP cost. Buffing them so that they do more damage baseline than fire to compensate for the animation cancel + fire dot would make them at least more viable and a potential alternative to the 1 button flame wave spec with the occasional ice/lightning cool down skill thrown in for extra damage. (Thief is what I would consider the base line for how synergistic and interesting a classes kit should be. 2-4 skills + 1-2 buffs/debuffs to manage based off of those skills.)
    WTB