Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Founder's Pack "Re-run"?

Comments

  • CryoGXCryoGX
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,210
    Posts: 38
    Member
    edited 10:04AM October 29, 2018
    I understand your sentiments, dude, and as a founder myself, I'd take the chance to upgrade my pack to legendary given how fun this game is.

    HOWEVER

    I didn't buy the pack as just a blind gamble. I bought it because I genuinely enjoyed the beta tests from early in the year and wanted to farther support the game given everything I had seen thus far. Even before then, I kept up with MS2 news outside of the betas to get an idea of what was offered. It's part of the mmo experience that when something is surfacing, especially localizations, you jump in on the beta tests or early news and get whatever you can early so you're not left months in the dust by the time full release comes around. You know what I'm jealous of? The Maple Armor. However, they got that during that closed beta promotion fair and square.

    It'd be different if the final game appeared only during early access, but GMS2 started being a thing close to the beginning of this year. While it's easier to be out of the loop at this point, it's still means those just showing up missed out on an already months long journey. I can't blame you for not knowing/being skeptical but I also can't say anyone was ripped off for not being in the loop for this long.

    I won't give you the angry post of "this will reduce the value of the actual founders packs", but that critique of your argument is correct too. If they introduce it again, there'll be people who show up right after and complain again, and then you'll be in the other founders' shoes, while those OG founders will probably be slightly annoyed their clout got watered down. Gotta put the line somewhere.

    Finally, your question is biased in that it doesn't explicitly ask "Do you think founders packs should return?". I should answer "yes" to your current question because I did buy it, but I still ultimately disagree with your point.

    TL;DR - I get it, I wouldn't mind it...too much, but the hard truth is ya'll just showing up are much later than you might think (like half a year), so I can't blame Nexon, either.
    SnackCakes
  • QtzQtz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,375
    Posts: 68
    Member
    the game just released they could still let new players support the game

    or you know.. add a new supporter pack for all the new players.. they hit 2 million players i dont think most of them played befor , so yeah i am pretty sure they could make quite some money by adding a new pack or reselling the old ones .

  • ExactingExacting
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    Posts: 7
    Member
    Yes, I would like if they had the packs available for a short time again.
    I jumped through all the hoops trying to get into the betas and kept getting denied so that made me so upset I just said screw it.
    By the time I had gotten over that slump it was too late.

  • ZeroGravigaZeroGraviga
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,065
    Posts: 29
    Member
    Exacting wrote: »
    Yes, I would like if they had the packs available for a short time again.
    I jumped through all the hoops trying to get into the betas and kept getting denied so that made me so upset I just said screw it.
    By the time I had gotten over that slump it was too late.

    You could have bought a founders pack to get into the beta. So I'm calling a bit of silliness here.
    SnackCakesCryoGXZintack
  • thdthd
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    Posts: 205
    Member
    Just because you dont wanna buy it, doesnt mean others think the same way. there a lot of people out there that want to purchase it again.
    If you dont want to buy it, or cant afford, dont buy it. its that simple.
    dont argue
  • AlexstrazsaAlexstrazsa
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
    Posts: 25
    Member
    CryoGX wrote: »
    I understand your sentiments, dude, and as a founder myself, I'd take the chance to upgrade my pack to legendary given how fun this game is.

    HOWEVER

    I didn't buy the pack as just a blind gamble. I bought it because I genuinely enjoyed the beta tests from early in the year and wanted to farther support the game given everything I had seen thus far.

    Unfortunately I didn't get that opportunity because they never let me into any of the beta tests. I know that I would've 100% gotten the founder's pack if I had ended up in either of the tests.
  • CryoGXCryoGX
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,210
    Posts: 38
    Member
    CryoGX wrote: »
    I understand your sentiments, dude, and as a founder myself, I'd take the chance to upgrade my pack to legendary given how fun this game is.

    HOWEVER

    I didn't buy the pack as just a blind gamble. I bought it because I genuinely enjoyed the beta tests from early in the year and wanted to farther support the game given everything I had seen thus far.

    Unfortunately I didn't get that opportunity because they never let me into any of the beta tests. I know that I would've 100% gotten the founder's pack if I had ended up in either of the tests.

    If that was something you were confident about, then you still could've taken the leap regardless.

    The dudes that were hyped for this game had avenues to at least educate themselves on it.

    While it's not as substantial as actually playing the game, you could've used research on it as a deciding factor for the final early access.
    SproutiZintackSnackCakes
  • SapSap
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    Posts: 4
    Member
    Wouldn't mind seeing some sort of supporter pack introduced. I'd say just release the founders pack without the title and insignia.
  • ZintackZintack
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,530
    Posts: 204
    Member
    I understand it's still early into the game so I think they shouId sell a completely different pack. different items. different name(s).
    I feel like the founder name & it's pack items hold an exclusive feel for those who were there to support them [helping test in cbt2 or just to buy it] before release. The founder packs were out for a LONG time~ Dates sold: July 17th to 20th and August 1st to October 10th [correct me if I'm wrong]. That's literally 2+ months to make up your mind/research about it, like others have said. I guess I can be more understanding if you couldn't afford it at the time but if you're saying "I didn't know how I would feel/if I would like it"- then I think that's your own fault [sorry] bc you had so much time to watch videos/streamers/read about it. I mean, even someone else said they refunded it after thinking they wouldn't like it and then bought it again! You could of always done that if you were unsure if you would like it.
    SnackCakes
  • ExactingExacting
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    Posts: 7
    Member
    Exacting wrote: »
    Yes, I would like if they had the packs available for a short time again.
    I jumped through all the hoops trying to get into the betas and kept getting denied so that made me so upset I just said screw it.
    By the time I had gotten over that slump it was too late.

    You could have bought a founders pack to get into the beta. So I'm calling a bit of silliness here.

    I realize that in hindsight. At the time I was laser focused on the event stuff they had going on. Once I saw the notice on the site saying sorry you didn't make it in I went to other games.
  • MiaosMiaos
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,175
    Posts: 42
    Member
    The Founder's Pack is for people who bought it before the games official release, that's the point of it, re-releasing the exact same pack would just be a mess, especially since it's already finished bring it back wouldn't be a good idea. Say if it was available after official release for a month or so from the get go then I feel no one would really have an issue, the main issue here is that the offer is already gone.
    Although I would like to see similar packages that are for players who started the game in the first month, just like how Founder's is for players who supported before official release, it can have similar things like titles that would probably still be exclusive after some time has passed.
    ZintackGandalfTheGaySnackCakes
  • AcsoulAcsoul
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 620
    Posts: 9
    Member
    You know, as a founder and someone who didn't get into CBT, if they did like a week sale on founders packs for those who couldn't get into CBT and wanted to try out the game before putting any money down I wouldn't really care. Let them support the game that they have come to like with a bit of playtime. Just don't make it a permanent year round sale..... and if they do offer a limited time sale.... put up the items from the Road Trip to Closed Beta event up for sale for the same duration.... yes. I have ulterior motives in supporting this.
  • ZintackZintack
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,530
    Posts: 204
    Member
    edited 1:23PM November 3, 2018
    Acsoul wrote: »
    You know, as a founder and someone who didn't get into CBT, if they did like a week sale on founders packs for those who couldn't get into CBT and wanted to try out the game before putting any money down I wouldn't really care. Let them support the game that they have come to like with a bit of playtime. Just don't make it a permanent year round sale..... and if they do offer a limited time sale.... put up the items from the Road Trip to Closed Beta event up for sale for the same duration.... yes. I have ulterior motives in supporting this.

    Sorry to say, but I hate that idea/disagree with this more than I would disagree about rereleasing founders pack. Literally, anyone could of done road trip. They were open for a month for anyone to do & you didn’t even have to pay for these exclusive items like founders. (It would be dumb to rerealse a cbt emote with no cbt anymore????) I also don’t think they should release CBT1-2 items because those ere exclusive for the testers. You also could of got into cbt2 with buying founders? (Correct if wrong~I was auto in so idk) If you didn’t take advantage of that then that’s a you problem, imo. Going against what I said in my other comments about not reselling, if they made a choice I would rather have my founders stuff rerealsed than my roadtrip&cbt1/2 items, tbh.
    SnackCakes
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    Posts: 690
    Member
    Ummm I don't mind if it comes back, but the price needs to be lowered because I don't $25 on hand cuz' I don't know.. not everyone playing the game is a working adult?
    Honestly, I think the beta players should gotten at least the cheapest pack for free, considering they were the founders, the first to play.

    But hey, I've constantly said that founders packs were a bad idea because this would happen but nobody listened to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GandalfTheGayGandalfTheGay
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 655
    Posts: 10
    Member
    Sherri wrote: »
    but the price needs to be lowered because I don't $25 on hand

    that would be extraordinarily unfair for founders who got it when it was a thing for 100 dollars, because that would mean they spent 100 for nothing
    ZintackHowlyeSnackCakes
  • MewmewGirlMewmewGirl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 740
    Posts: 15
    Member
    edited 5:26PM November 3, 2018
    There's a lot of very angry, very dumb people that will argue against this, even though other people being able to buy a Founder's pack doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever. So just be prepared for that.

    Personally not against it, nor am I against the idea of a similar pack being released with the same value for money as a compromise if Nexon keeping valueless pixels 'exclusive' is too important for anybody to entertain the idea of other people having the same items as them.


    Oh, they must be angry and dumb to have a different opinion than you do?

    It *does* affect us founders if others get to buy the packs now still. We were offered unique items for buying in early and taking that chance that a lot of people didn't want to take. When more people have our same items, the uniqueness and therefore value of them is decreased. It very much does affect us.

    Now if instead, Nexon wanted to offer a new pack with the same value but different cosmetics, that would be fine and great. But we were offered a limited time purchase and spent money back then because of it. Who knows what people had to go without, sell, etc, because they had to choose to buy the pack at that time.

    To claim something doesn't affect the Founders and also claim that people are "angry and dumb" if they disagree is a fairly ignorant thing to say. It very much does affect us.

    What doesn't affect us as much is to sell a new pack with the same value but different cosmetic options for each and every cosmetic item included. I don't see what the problem with doing that instead would be.
    ZintackHowlyeCelestialKitsuneHeartdonorSnackCakes
  • HowlyeHowlye
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 815
    Posts: 31
    Member
    MewmewGirl wrote: »
    There's a lot of very angry, very dumb people that will argue against this, even though other people being able to buy a Founder's pack doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever. So just be prepared for that.

    Personally not against it, nor am I against the idea of a similar pack being released with the same value for money as a compromise if Nexon keeping valueless pixels 'exclusive' is too important for anybody to entertain the idea of other people having the same items as them.


    Oh, they must be angry and dumb to have a different opinion than you do?

    It *does* affect us founders if others get to buy the packs now still. We were offered unique items for buying in early and taking that chance that a lot of people didn't want to take. When more people have our same items, the uniqueness and therefore value of them is decreased. It very much does affect us.

    Now if instead, Nexon wanted to offer a new pack with the same value but different cosmetics, that would be fine and great. But we were offered a limited time purchase and spent money back then because of it. Who knows what people had to go without, sell, etc, because they had to choose to buy the pack at that time.

    To claim something doesn't affect the Founders and also claim that people are "angry and dumb" if they disagree is a fairly ignorant thing to say. It very much does affect us.

    What doesn't affect us as much is to sell a new pack with the same value but different cosmetic options for each and every cosmetic item included. I don't see what the problem with doing that instead would be.

    This. And not only new players will be able to purchase the new pack. But founders aswell. Which leads to more income.
    Zintack
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,535
    Posts: 299
    Member
    MewmewGirl wrote: »
    Oh, they must be angry and dumb to have a different opinion than you do?

    It *does* affect us founders if others get to buy the packs now still. We were offered unique items for buying in early and taking that chance that a lot of people didn't want to take. When more people have our same items, the uniqueness and therefore value of them is decreased. It very much does affect us.

    Now if instead, Nexon wanted to offer a new pack with the same value but different cosmetics, that would be fine and great. But we were offered a limited time purchase and spent money back then because of it. Who knows what people had to go without, sell, etc, because they had to choose to buy the pack at that time.

    To claim something doesn't affect the Founders and also claim that people are "angry and dumb" if they disagree is a fairly ignorant thing to say. It very much does affect us.

    What doesn't affect us as much is to sell a new pack with the same value but different cosmetic options for each and every cosmetic item included. I don't see what the problem with doing that instead would be.

    Yes, it is an angry and dumb opinion to have.
    Because it comes from the ignorance of losing out on exclusivity of an item that is only exclusive in the sense that they chose to stop offering it and anger at the idea of other people being able to spend $100 on a game you like to get the same things you like, just because you bought it first.
    The value of the items doesn't come from their time period exclusivity as they are not a manufactured good.
    They can create an infinite number of founder's packs and it's as simple as turning a 0 into 1 for them to give out these 'exclusive' goods again.
    The real exclusivity of these items comes from the fact you need to spend $100 on a free game, which is still a tall order for a majority of the people playing it.
    As such, I see no reason why they shouldn't bring the things back.
    Founder's packs aren't collectors items, they have no resale value, they have no appreciation or deprectiation.
    They are digital items worth nothing, as you cannot sell your account or trade it to someone else.
    It's pure ignorance to suggest anything otherwise.
    Other people spending $100 on the game can only effect you positively, in that the more money Nexon earns from the game the more they will spend on improving it.
    But like I said, having a similar value pack being released is a great alternative if kneeling to the whims of territorial lizards is worth the extra effort of creating a brand new pack.
    Though, in reality, Nexon only created the Founder's packs in response to people's feedback. Initially it wasn't something they were going to offer. So I guess the reason an alternative 'Release' pack doesn't exist is because there hasn't been any real support for it, aside from people trying to wave others away from their 'exclusive' Founder's Packs.
  • MarchinBunnyMarchinBunny
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,245
    Posts: 545
    Member
    edited 4:58AM November 4, 2018
    Yes, it is an angry and dumb opinion to have.
    It's easy to call other's opinions angry and dumb when you don't have a very good argument to make against it.
    Because it comes from the ignorance of losing out on exclusivity of an item that is only exclusive in the sense that they chose to stop offering it and anger at the idea of other people being able to spend $100 on a game you like to get the same things you like, just because you bought it first.
    Yes, and something being exclusive is sought after by people, because it's appealing to have something exclusive. It wouldn't exist otherwise. I am a bit baffled how you seem to be so confused about something that has been done for decades. If they rereleased it again, it would go against the idea of it being exclusive. It would lose that portion of its value. (Not monetary value, but the value that exists for the person towards the item.)

    I also don't understand how you can say they should re-release it, like as if no one else is going to miss it afterward. There is always going to be someone who missed it. How is it fair to re-release it for a period of time, but then a year down the road not release it again for those who didn't get the chance? You just end up creating a situation where you make things more unfair. Why did they get a chance with a re-release but not them? Then they could use the same exact arguments you are trying to use. It's just entirely illogical and ruins the whole point of exclusivity.
    The value of the items doesn't come from their time period exclusivity as they are not a manufactured good.
    They can create an infinite number of founder's packs and it's as simple as turning a 0 into 1 for them to give out these 'exclusive' goods again.
    This argument doesn't make any sense because the same is true of the manufacturing process. All it takes is a flip of a switch sometimes to turn the machines back on. What makes them exclusive is the limited availability of the item.

    "Exclusivity: restricted or limited to the person, group, or area concerned."
    As you can see, the limit can be based on anything. If I limited an item to members of a guild only, that's exclusive. If I limited an item to those who saw a particular movie, that's exclusive. If I limited it to people who came in at 3am, that's exclusive.
    The real exclusivity of these items comes from the fact you need to spend $100 on a free game, which is still a tall order for a majority of the people playing it.
    This is just false all around. That isn't what makes it exclusive and doesn't even fit the definition. Plus there are $25 packs you know. You don't have to get the $100 pack. Obviously, not everyone is going to be able to afford the $100 pack no matter how long they remain available, so I don't see how this helps your point.
    Founder's packs aren't collectors items, they have no resale value, they have no appreciation or deprectiation. They are digital items worth nothing, as you cannot sell your account or trade it to someone else.
    You really need to look up definitions of these things. Collector's items are what they are because they tend to be exclusive or rare. Has nothing to do with resale value.
    It's pure ignorance to suggest anything otherwise.
    Says the person who is making up crap.
    Other people spending $100 on the game can only effect you positively, in that the more money Nexon earns from the game the more they will spend on improving it.
    Do it some other way. We don't need them to ruin what exclusivity means just because you personally don't understand it.

    ZintackHowlyeSherriSnackCakes
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,535
    Posts: 299
    Member
    The value of the items doesn't come from their time period exclusivity as they are not a manufactured good.
    They can create an infinite number of founder's packs and it's as simple as turning a 0 into 1 for them to give out these 'exclusive' goods again.
    This argument doesn't make any sense because the same is true of the manufacturing process. All it takes is a flip of a switch sometimes to turn the machines back on. What makes them exclusive is the limited availability of the item.


    Except it's not, because physical goods have this thing called 'risk' associated with them. In that, creating and stocking a physical item costs money and not selling it, also costs money. The limited availability of physical goods is simply the manufacturers and distributors attempting to match as closely as possible the supply of the item to the current demand. All of these factors do not apply to digital items and any that do are artificially imposed. Nexon has an infinite costless supply of Founder's Packs. There are as many Founder's packs as people want to buy. Every second they do not have a Founder's Pack for someone that wants to buy one, it actually costs them money in a lost sale. Which is the opposite of how physical goods operate almost entirely.

    So I don't understand how you don't understand that the word exclusivity does not apply to these Founder's Packs, because the exclusivity is simply an artificial aspect when it comes to digital goods. The limit is self-imposed by Nexon. They could choose to re-release these Founder's packs at literally any time at no risk to themselves and only serve to profit from it.
    So why shouldn't they? Because you don't want other people owning the same item as you?
    That's the part of this whole anti-Founder's argument that really makes no sense.
    You're trying to protect the exclusivity of these items like they actually have a value, when the only value they have is that you own them and another person doesn't. When you say the word 'exclusive', that's all you could possibly be implying.

    Why do you want to deny other people a digital item, with infinite supply that they would still have to pay the exact same amount as you to own?
    What do you gain out of doing that? What does Nexon gain from doing that?
    There's really no actual reason for them to not resell the Founder's Packs.
    But please continue being irrationally angry about the prospect of it happening.