Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Some General Chat Suggestions

SyrusMarufujiSyrusMarufuji
MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,395
in Suggestions and Feedback
Hi, I'd like to offer a few possible improvements that can be made to the game's chat function at this time.

1. A Higher Character Limit, At least in Group Chat.

100 Characters is less than what Twitter had to offer at first launch. This makes it difficult to communicate longer thoughts. While one may argue that this is preferred to avoid spam, I'm not asking to let us post Bee Movie Scripts in one message. I'd just like some more wiggle room to work with regarding character limit, possibly 255. Other MMO's, such as World of Warcraft have their message box's capped at 255. I don't think raising the cap should do much to affect servers any more than someone posting 100 character messages twice in quick succession. At the very least, allow us the ability to be more verbal in group chat.

2. Typing indicator, At least in Group Chat.
This can be shown with a small symbol or message above someones head or perhaps at the bottom of the chat box. Of course, people should be given the option to turn off people being able to tell that they're typing and being able to tell when other people are typing. Again, while not too important in local/party/guild (this should be not an option in world/channel) It would make a world of a difference to be able to see whos typing in Group Chat, so we don't have to wait awkwardly, attach 1/2s to our posts. etc.

3.Consistent and Archiveable Group Chat
It's a pretty big bummer to lose a group chat due to a game crash or being disconnected, especially if you're like me and information melts away from your brain easily. Plus, its annoying to have to set up a group chat every single time you log into the game. Group Chats should, at the very least, retain your presence when you go offline, just like parties do. (Which, by the way is an amazing feature). While constant history would be nice, I recognize MS2 is not exactly an IM client, so thats a little unreasonable. However, I would like the ability to at the very least, copy+paste content from group chat. This would be useful for people who perform guild interviews in game for example.

4.No more word in word censorship
The fact that we saying the word class results in cl*** is utterly ridiculous. Not to mention its mind boggling. I can still say, assembly, assassinate, and association without it being partially bleeped. I haven't discovered any other censorship fails yet, but I have no doubt that they're out there.

5./me command
Listed last because it's the least important, but it'd be neat to be able to emote. This probably wouldn't be used outside of the roleplaying community, but it'd certainly be a neat function.
mewberiUlukini

Comments

• UlukiniUlukini
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    I'd like to add that there needs to be an option to show time stamps on messages in the chat tabs. I don't have an easy way of telling if a message in my custom tab for whisper / guild is old or new other than sifting through the spam of world / channel chat to see how far up the message is in that tab to take a guess.
    FuroshikiSyrusMarufujiVeremisiaVerlo
  • SyrusMarufujiSyrusMarufuji
    Agreed on time stamps. Would be very helpful
  • HunterJDLHunterJDL
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 450
    I would like to suggest two things to this list, on top of agreeing with what has been suggested already.

1) I have poor eye-sight and the font is really small for me. My only way to currently fix this problem is to scale the UI to max which makes the game hard to play at times. This could be fixed by having the font-size option in the 'tab settings' menu go higher. Maybe double?

2) The ability to choose the color for each type of chat. AKA, changing guild or party chat color.
    SyrusMarufujiVeremisiaUlukiniFantasykitten
    I second the poor eyesight, and agree with both of your inputs.
  • AngelicPantyAngelicPanty
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 685
    Whisper/Party/Group chat have it's own separate window. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a whisper only to have it disappear while I'm busy ingame, never to figure out who sent it/what they said. Many other games already have this feature where if someone whispers you, it automatically goes to a new chat tab above the chat box(Like many Blizzard games, FF Online, Tera Online, ect).
    To be fair you can configure this on your own but I would like the default chat setting to not be so messy.
  • TexZeroTexZero
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,405
    The filter is a bit more complex a subject than you might believe.

They're using a traditional regular expression filter to censor out profanity. There's always going to be some crossover that leaves certain words or phrases blocked due to this unless they switch to a Regular Expression filter + Whitelisted Vocabulary but that would be a substantive investment because of the language barriers. Some phrases in english may not translate well in other languages and some subsets of common characters will still more likely than not be caught in the crossfire.
    Its interesting, because I saw someone super violate the filter today with explicit sexual talk in sole survivor.

Speaking of which, please allow us to report someone through the chat alone, When I click on their character to report I ended up walking forward falling off, only slightly annoying but still.