Check out the v16 1st Anniversary Update patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45834

Make an Anti-bot system

KaboomBabyKaboomBaby
MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
edited 8:05AM November 1, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
If you can implement a way to know if real player is playing dungeons rather than an automated 3rd party program doing clicks and buttons it will be great of help, I know banning 1,000 accounts a day is helping but its not enough.

Comments

• PizzaBearPizzaBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    A numeric captcha with limited attempts for entering dungeon would be good.
  • Techn0mancerTechn0mancer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,235
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, and apparently I'll keep saying it into the future. Captchas do not work and have not worked for years. There are entire economies built around captcha solving. We need a solution, but the captcha is NOT it. There are literal captcha solving boxes you can buy for a few dollars on the internet at this point. Technology is hard to keep up with, I get it, but this is years old. Captcha only prove an annoyance for regular players like us, and zero obstacle for bots. Captcha is NOT the answer. It's just creating the illusion of having security, much like the TSA.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/inside-indias-captcha-solving-economy/
    CelestialKitsuneCariseiOneConfusedMilletianEinoFarieDreamsSyrusMarufuji
  • KaboomBabyKaboomBaby
    I thought an idea, i don't know if its a good one Bots farm onyx and mesos right? and they look to trade it afterward to another character right? and their "mmok" site sells them right? , ok here is my idea: make mesos the currency on the game unable to trade between characters of different account, if they can't transfer they cant sell big, of course allow players to buy and sell from market, just mesos will stay on the same account. This would eliminate alot of problems including the economy , not necessarily eliminate bots but eliminate their purpose.
  • CelestialKitsuneCelestialKitsune
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 725
    KaboomBaby wrote: »
    I thought an idea, i don't know if its a good one Bots farm onyx and mesos right? and they look to trade it afterward to another character right? and their "mmok" site sells them right? , ok here is my idea: make mesos the currency on the game unable to trade between characters of different account, if they can't transfer they cant sell big, of course allow players to buy and sell from market, just mesos will stay on the same account. This would eliminate alot of problems including the economy , not necessarily eliminate bots but eliminate their purpose.

This won't solve the meso selling problem as they don't typically sell mesos through trades. They sell them through the BM. And a huge part of this game for most players is the community. Being able to share your money with others is a feature that many many people enjoy. Just the other day I sent my boyfriend a million mesos to help him get geared up enough to do hard dungeons with me and it would've really sucked if I wasn't able to do that. Plus this would also be easy to get around because someone could just list a certain item on the black market and price it using a unique number like 5429 and then have their friend buy their item off of the BM. So this would only serve to annoy regular players and do nothing to hinder meso sellers.
  • KaboomBabyKaboomBaby

This won't solve the meso selling problem as they don't typically sell mesos through trades. They sell them through the BM. And a huge part of this game for most players is the community. Being able to share your money with others is a feature that many many people enjoy. Just the other day I sent my boyfriend a million mesos to help him get geared up enough to do hard dungeons with me and it would've really sucked if I wasn't able to do that. Plus this would also be easy to get around because someone could just list a certain item on the black market and price it using a unique number like 5429 and then have their friend buy their item off of the BM. So this would only serve to annoy regular players and do nothing to hinder meso sellers.

exactly, they could only transfer mesos through black market thus they would have to limit themselves to that, in a mmok buy you wont ask player to list an item of their price and coordinate buying it, its obviously so bad and it would be easier to catch whos buying the mesos through black market, so in effect they can't sell mesos at all
  • Oldwargoat39Oldwargoat39
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 640
    PizzaBear wrote: »
    A numeric captcha with limited attempts for entering dungeon would be good.

no, an alphanumeric one would be better and a picture recognition system
  • Oldwargoat39Oldwargoat39
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 640
    here is an idea: IP ban them and have Nexion tell their ISP to not allow them to have access to the servers...
  • DoomKittenDoomKitten
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    We have to give a bit of slack to them, games been out for less then a month so 1000 a day is a huge step in the right direction for being about to root them out. I know first hand how frustraiting it is getting nothing but bots over and over but it gets less and less each time I play (and a notable differance from the pre-launch days.) So it's only a matter of time. ^-^
  • KaboomBabyKaboomBaby
    Bots aren't really decreasing, recently i found more topics of them , that they are flooding the channels and dungeons :C
  • FarieDreamsFarieDreams
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 525
    edited 12:26PM November 2, 2018
    I have an idea myself. This is based on the lack of knowledge on how this whole banning system works so I'm sorry if this isn't actually helpful. If a character is banned does that mean that their other characters are banned to? If not then I feel that if an account has a banned character then they should freeze that accounts bank. In doing so they wouldn't be able to trade items or mesos between their bots and actual characters, thus deleting their purpose and reason to keep creating more bots on the account.
    If this idea wouldn't help or is impossible just ignore it
  • FarieDreamsFarieDreams
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 525
    here is an idea: IP ban them and have Nexion tell their ISP to not allow them to have access to the servers...

I thought of that myself but there are security programs out now that prevent the finding of your IP address. It's expensive but someone with money to blow can easily bypass that.
  • AngelicPantyAngelicPanty
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 685

IP's can easily be faked so that wouldn't work at all.
    Meso_Man
  • zlOwOlzzlOwOlz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 865
    free game = massive spam of free bots, everyone knows that
  • ItsIffyItsIffy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 715
    edited 1:46AM November 3, 2018
    I'm all for an audit system, which takes buffered input. player's account that are 'green', don't get checked by this audit system (aka. they've been processed already..perhaps multiple times?) when an account gets flagged, they get more frequently auditted, up to a certain amount of flags, which leads to an automated ban.

gms already are scrambling the messages of the bots, they could perfect insert that into the audit system.
    The only downside is, this system will need to learn, which won't be effective during it's first life cycle, but progressively gets more effective the more people have been cleared.

Investment wise;
    2 databases, 1 to hold 'current to be needed audit people' with their current amount of flags.
    1 to evaluate if a person is up for audit (remove person from table if no longer needed for audits)
    (this can just as good be a table in an exsisting database)

2 systems;
    1 for GMs to directly inject testing material (eg; spammer uses new String to spam, GM can insert 'to be tested regex')
    1 pattern recognition system. this can either be AI programmed (seperate system) or hardcoded checkpoints which needs to be cycled through every x times to keep it 'at random', using all checkpoints would make it predictable. Secondary, and hard to guess for bot creators. ever so often needs an update too.

Lastly, give the flag for ban - and ban time a random interval, so it's not predictable.

Additionally, for the normal player, make some kind of 'appeal' system on site to combat these bans as faulty bans, which takes in some variables like 'how often chatted, repeated-lookalike messages' (Levenshtein distance), combined playtime, character name , ....
    KaboomBaby
  • MochaLatteMochaLatte
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,475
    edited 4:51AM November 3, 2018
    DO NOT USE AN OVERBEARING AUTOMATED DETECTION SYSTEM UNLESS YOU HAVE $50M TO INVEST INTO DESIGNING IT.

MS1 has this, and it made myself and countless others outright quit the game. Normal players get kicked out of the game and sometimes even permanently banned out of nowhere for no reason just because of some bug in an event quest or a server hiccup... Meanwhile, literally 5,000 bots can not only swarm around the game, but they can blatantly hack at the same time not just script, breaking all the rules of the mechanics of the game, teleporting through 20 maps a second, and autobuying every miss-priced thing on the auction house the second it gets listed. Real players get banned, bots find the triggers and hack around them.

Already just the other day, someone got permabanned in MS2 for saying something about one of the spammers, and it took support like a week to stop lying that they had "done thurough investigation" into their account, and it was only solved by getting attention with a reddit post. This game has rigerous dailies, you can't just miss a whole week for literally no reason and have to send a dozen emails to the support getting them to undo an automated insta-ban.

There has to be some other solution. Use reCAPTCHA in the in-game browser? Some form of in-game activity? Then combined with basic anti-spam stuff that doesn't just instantly ban you, "too many messages" that kinda thing.

PS. The bots teleport around between NPCs while in a swimming animation, so you're going to want to look into whatever exploit they seem to have found there. It probably has to do with the mechanic that returns you to the last solid block you touched when you fall off the map.
    FarieDreamsSyrusMarufujiKinla
  • ShuangHuaShuangHua
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    edited 3:37AM November 4, 2018

Exactly. I also helepd on my friend to get epic wep to be able to join to us in hard dg. I gave him onyx what he sold in BM to get meso then he gave back my onyx. Tradeing meso have 20% fee what is nice. Disableing trade like they did in Mu Legend will case a lot rage from legit players. There the Stash was not acc shared like here.

Sweet dream. Did you heard about VPN?
    ItsIffy wrote: »
    I'm all for an audit system, which takes buffered input. player's account that are 'green', don't get checked by this audit system (aka. they've been processed already..perhaps multiple times?) when an account gets flagged, they get more frequently auditted, up to a certain amount of flags, which leads to an automated ban.

gms already are scrambling the messages of the bots, they could perfect insert that into the audit system.
    The only downside is, this system will need to learn, which won't be effective during it's first life cycle, but progressively gets more effective the more people have been cleared.

Investment wise;
    2 databases, 1 to hold 'current to be needed audit people' with their current amount of flags.
    1 to evaluate if a person is up for audit (remove person from table if no longer needed for audits)
    (this can just as good be a table in an exsisting database)

2 systems;
    1 for GMs to directly inject testing material (eg; spammer uses new String to spam, GM can insert 'to be tested regex')
    1 pattern recognition system. this can either be AI programmed (seperate system) or hardcoded checkpoints which needs to be cycled through every x times to keep it 'at random', using all checkpoints would make it predictable. Secondary, and hard to guess for bot creators. ever so often needs an update too.

Lastly, give the flag for ban - and ban time a random interval, so it's not predictable.

Additionally, for the normal player, make some kind of 'appeal' system on site to combat these bans as faulty bans, which takes in some variables like 'how often chatted, repeated-lookalike messages' (Levenshtein distance), combined playtime, character name , ....

I read about how to deal with TROLL ppls on forums. If they get bann, they just make new acc. Someone come up with a good idea.
    Silent bann. What it mean, the system is blocking his / her posts on the entire forum. Nobody can see those posts, except the person who got silent bann. He still can read his / her new posts. :) just filterd out for everyone else. Spammer bots should go on this list. :D
    Not the best idea, cause with other spammer bot they can realise they do not see the other bot msg.