Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

What do you consider as "Casual"?

Comments

• Unholy_RikuUnholy_Riku
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 485
    God forbid a game caters to the people who have money to put into it.

Truthbully though, I play 6 hours a day, and I still get called a casual. It really isn't important. Just a bunch of people qqing because they can't get an unfair advantage over people who work for a living.
    UminoKorasuScarly
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 770
    I believe casual is when a player chooses to not make MS2 or any other game a priority. A casual player would get on to level up, do events, socialize, and more - however, they would not focus solely on power. As someone who feels they fit the term "casual", I'm not someone who tries to be the best of the best and to me that's just what it means to fit that description. Sure, I want to be good, but I do not let that fact overwhelm the other reasons I play this game. My priority is to have fun, explore a fantasy world that a group of people worked hard to create, and meet new people. I may play for long hours but those long hours are dedicated to those examples I explained above.
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • RalleYTNRalleYTN
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,615
    If I had to define a casual in playtime I would say 2 hours a day 4 days a week.
  • KewkkyKewkky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,235
    It really is pretty easy to differentiate. There's a difference in the behavior of someone who "casually" cooks dinner (like while talking on the phone, or while also watching TV; it's not their focus, but they do it anyway), and someone who cooks dinner "hardcore" (like a world-class chef cooking at home to impress his boss who came to visit; it's a very focused task where everything must be perfect).
  • HaliHali
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,875
    A player who doesn't play much and makes no effort to learn much.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,530
    Miaos wrote: »
    Recently I've seen people go around talking about how Nexon is catering to "casuals" with the games direction, and I ended up being curious about at what point is someone considered a casual or a hardcore. Because I've seen casual players being refered to as people who play this as MapleStory Sims 2 with housing/fishing/exploration etc, but also as pretty much anyone who isn't ready for raids. Of course context and the general type of people in those discussions matter but I am fairly interested to see people's opinions on this.

So what would you consider as "casual" levels of playing?
    Not doing raids? Not doing hard dungeons? Not doing hard dungeons past FD? Not doing dungeons at all? Not min-maxing for piercing, boss damage etc?

A "casual" in the context of what Nexon is catering to, in my opinion, is defined by not necessarily the amount of time available or spent, but the amount of effort that is solely lacking in this game. Because of the way the game is currently constructed, though, nobody really has a choice.

When you can reach level 50 in 5 hours just by clicking through a series of NPCs, that's pretty casual.
    When you get free stuff necessary for progression served every day by doing one-minute tasks, that's pretty casual.
    When any form of gathering and crafting consists of repeatedly pressing spacebar and half the items are completely useless, that's pretty casual.
    When you can move everywhere on the entire world map in a few seconds through taxis, portals, helicopters and mounts, that's pretty casual.
    When the camera is limited to one direction and exploration consists of finding portals and NPCs marked on the minimap and chests partially obscured by foliage, that's pretty casual.
    When normal dungeons are impossible to fail because you can revive infinite times without consequences, that's pretty casual.
    When combat is limited to button-mashing for every class and spirit is automatically regained in seconds, that's pretty casual.
    When dungeons are so easy that you farm them in less than 10 minutes and they have to enforce an arbitrary daily/weekly limit just to keep it slightly under control, that's pretty casual.
    When you can progress by standing AFK and pay money for fishing or playing instruments and gain free XP, that's pretty casual.

Since the game is locked that way, I suppose the hardcore players are those who really take the above to extremes in order to stand out. Which doesn't make it any better, really. Right now hardcore players mainly differentiate themselves by spending tons of time to repeatedly farm the same "casual" dungeon content on a plethora of alts, while other traditional casuals simply enjoy the other aspects of the game without worrying too much.
    HowlyePurestElfMiguelx
  • AnomaletixAnomaletix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 905
    I`d say it means instead of going for gold, they just want to have fun. It`s not about competing for ludicrous amounts of DPS, its about just seeing what you find.

• cutiebotcutiebot
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,405
    after finishing work at 2pm i just come home and play till i have to sleep aha
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • Techn0mancerTechn0mancer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,235
    I relate to Unholy_Rikku up there. I consider myself a casual player, although I play far more hours than most folks. I have a wife, kids, a job, and I sometimes go home on my lunch break just to do a couple of quests, each a sammich talk to the guildies, whatever. MS2 has become my new timesink, and I think that we are actually the quiet majority. We have the money to throw at the game because we feel like there's good value here; the game feels built JUST FOR ME and lets me play how I want to. I can socialize without feeling like I'm "falling behind", chase trophy's, visit people's homes, do dungeons, chase chests, or just explore. All of it is getting me "somewhere". And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The people in my guild think I'm "hardcore" because I have achieved a lot in the game, am always around, logged in a lot, have a good number of trophy's (800 and counting! I think.) 4k+ GS, "optimized" character build etc, but I spend most of my time touring people's houses, attending in game concerts, making maple music, posting UGC items (Well only 2 so far, but I have several more lined up in progress.) But I don't consider myself hardcore because in contrast to some of the vitriol you see on these forums, I'm not raging that my thief feels lackluster at the moment, for example. So what? I've got other characters to play, other goals to chase, other things to create. To me, they've created an ecosystem that causes me to want to contribute naturally, without being coerced by reward, or payment or min/maxing.

Building the game for ME, with ME representing the professional working class individual with money to spend is probably pretty smart. So far, I've sunk about 300 into the game between my founders pack, meret purchases, gifts to other people etc, which is just pocket change for the value proposition that I think I'm getting. If even one in one hundred players has done what I have done, and appreciates there being end game goal chasing opportunities without feeling like they're "too far" away or built for the "hardcore", you have a pretty damned solid monetary base, of around 3 million a month assuming that NO ONE else ever put in any money EVER. Assuming a unique player count of 1 million players, btw.

They have provided us the tools to make our own fun, chase our own goals, and it's up to us to make of it what we will. I'm not a whale, and would ditch this game in about 2 seconds if they brought in any P2W nonsense. Casual and proud! ;-D
    OneConfusedMilletianWTB
  • CryoGXCryoGX
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,210
    I used to play MMOs hardcore but as a college student and active artist, I don't have time anymore. Compared to a ton of you guys I haven't really played this game at all, but I plan to get my gear...eventually. I'm well aware the past two weeks would've been prime time to grind like mad but I'm just too tired my dudes.

So I'm pretty much a casual. Taking it easy, playing in quick, but huge bursts. That's nothing against this game, either; it's just how I play these things.
    Beariie
  • BeariieBeariie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,815
    CryoGX wrote: »
    I used to play MMOs hardcore but as a college student and active artist, I don't have time anymore. Compared to a ton of you guys I haven't really played this game at all, but I plan to get my gear...eventually. I'm well aware the past two weeks would've been prime time to grind like mad but I'm just too tired my dudes.

So I'm pretty much a casual. Taking it easy, playing in quick, but huge bursts. That's nothing against this game, either; it's just how I play these things.

This should be how many who dont have time, reason with playing a MMO, not ask for changes that slows progress or kills the depth for others who do have the time.

I'm in the same boat though, I go to school full time and work fulltime. I play when I want to and can afford to without worrying about others pushing ahead, all about the personal journey, but people dont see it that way anymore.
  • FloeFloe
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,035
    For me, playing a game casually means, while I enjoy all the content and do all the content, it's at my own pace and I don't feel the need to play as much as possible to keep up with other players. It means I play as much as I want because I'm having fun.

It's perfect that in this game the RNG is kind to me and I have no problem whatsoever to keep up with gearing despite not treating this game as a second job.
  • shadowgunshadowgun
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    Here is how I see it a Hardcore gamer likes to be challenged and likes to try to be the best. They can accept that everything wont be handed to them and they enjoy going for things to show off. Casual gamers do not like this because they want everyone to be on fair and equal footing. They want everything handed to them with little amount of effort. This game is edging on casual but we wont know until raids launch. If raids are actually a challenge then it wont be casual but if anyone can go in there and do it like any other dungeon then it is casual.
  • SlightlyGrimSlightlyGrim
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 770
    Miaos wrote: »
    I understand that there are rude/entitled/disruptive people coming from every perspective but this is an opinion based discussion so please try to keep it civiled and respect each other!

Recently I've seen people go around talking about how Nexon is catering to "casuals" with the games direction, and I ended up being curious about at what point is someone considered a casual or a hardcore. Because I've seen casual players being refered to as people who play this as MapleStory Sims 2 with housing/fishing/exploration etc, but also as pretty much anyone who isn't ready for raids. Of course context and the general type of people in those discussions matter but I am fairly interested to see people's opinions on this.

So what would you consider as "casual" levels of playing?
    Not doing raids? Not doing hard dungeons? Not doing hard dungeons past FD? Not doing dungeons at all? Not min-maxing for piercing, boss damage etc?

From my point of view, a casual player probably only has 1 maybe 2 alts.
    They have good gear with decent stats but they arent mid maxing what needs to be maxed for the chaos raids
    aka 94 accuracy, 15 phys/magic piece , 10+ pierce, and a few other things.

Where as a lot of the more hardcore players I know, already had 4-5 alts at level 50 a week and a half to 2 weeks into the game. They have 2-3 characters over 3,000 - 4,000 gs and are gearing them all for chaos.
    They are also running all their dungeon runs on all thier characters to max out their gains.
  • SentineIsSentineIs
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    Yeah, so far the definition I agree with the most is the mindset. Not trying to be competitive vs trying to be competitive. Taking it at your own pace instead of min maxing.

Like even if there was a player that casually played for 6 hours a day. I wouldn't think hardcore of they were mainly just chatting, playing instruments and chillin.
    SlightlyGrim
  • Pineapple1124Pineapple1124
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,740
    Casual players get on irregularly, they are never near active. If you’re on everyday you’re active player.

Just having a slow progress in levelling is not a casual. You’re just spending that other times doing something else. If you did the same thing, you’d be where I am at now too.

Players who does other random things are labeled differently, like we have lifeskillers, trophy hunters, master fishers, house designers, musicians. They all put hours into devoting things aside from core gameplay. They never consider themselves a casual.
  • KiwanoKiwano
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 640
    edited 8:21AM November 2, 2018
    Casual players get on irregularly, they are never near active. If you’re on everyday you’re active player.
    That's nonsense. The regularity of your time spent doesn't define whether you're a casual, and you certainly don't need to log in every day to be considered active. In many games people just log in for their guilds' raids or pvp battles.

As said I've already said before, you can discern two distinct connotations which people use.

In short, one interpretation is based on motivation; that is, whether the person plays two hours a week or sixty, no matter how good they actually are when they take the hobby seriously enough, they're not casual players.
    The other meaning refers to the time spent; i.e., usually people outside of the game would not consider you a casual player when on average you devote 3-4+ hours a day to it.

In discussions both are usually conflated in various ways depending on who you're talking to and the context. For instance, you wouldn't claim to be a casual player just spending 20 hours a week on a game before coworkers, but ingame where everyone knows what you can do in that time, it may be a different story.
    If you read through the replies, you notice how everyone assigns a different value of importance to either point. For some no matter how much time you're wasting on the game, when you don't compete or at least manage some of your dailies effectively, you're still a casual. Others can't imagine calling someone a casual when they spend as much as three hours on a game daily. Game developers and publishers, on the other hand, generally have to take all perspectives into account, but they only rely on labels with clear-cut definitions.

So yes, everyone is throwing that term around, but the risk of misunderstanding or even affronting one another is quite high. It is better to explicitly point out what exactly you're talking about. Who knows whether 2-3 hard dungeon runs are a lot for you or 20-30 when you argue that the double drop event caters too much to casuals.
  • MetaRaidMetaRaid
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    Being casual is just doing dailies on your main and logging off. I do the same in MapleStory 1 as well.
  • ArSkulderArSkulder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,215
    I consider myself as casual, even though my play time is pretty high. I don't really care about gear progression, but still on decent gear. I don't reach my dungeon limit. I'm doing stuff on my own pace, and I'm having fun with this kind of play style.

For me, it doesn't matter if people want to go casual or hardcore, we all enjoy the game with our own way. As long as we have fun with it and not insult each other I'm fine with it.
  • mirta000mirta000
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,270
    ArSkulder wrote: »
    I consider myself as casual, even though my play time is pretty high. I don't really care about gear progression, but still on decent gear. I don't reach my dungeon limit. I'm doing stuff on my own pace, and I'm having fun with this kind of play style.

For me, it doesn't matter if people want to go casual or hardcore, we all enjoy the game with our own way. As long as we have fun with it and not insult each other I'm fine with it.

This was exactly the kind of post that I was just going to write myself.
    At the moment I could dedicate 6 hours or more to the game and I got my gear score to 3.5K, however I have no obligation to log in and be on the game specifically and I also tend to do what I feel like doing that day when I do log in.