Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

My 25 day review letter to Maplestory

EsferEsfer
MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
in General Chat
Dear Maplestory 2,

I'm writing this as I wait for my guildies to get online to do some raids. After which I will have to wait till tomorrow to do 10 more. It's been 25 days since I started playing and my review of this game is: TEDIOUS and REGULATED. It's pretty much an over glorified cellphone simulation game.

I understand the new patch in November is going to bring some changes however there are still some underlying issues with this game that make it rough for guys like me to keep interest. Some background, I'm a 29 year old male professional with a 9 to 5 well paying job. This game is built around a DAILY quota system. From how much you can farm, gain prestige exp, collect bonuses from dailies, login bonuses, 10/10 raids etc.

Once you get into the pattern of it, its really tedious. You need to login everyday and complete all your tasks to maximize your characters potential. Most the time all your doing is just tapping your F key (or whatever your action key is)... F. F. F. F. and if your lucky you finish it all before the daily reset. Most of this game literally has no reasoning behind it except to maximize your daily potential by picking up some random box and throwing it 5 times. If your like me, you have somewhat of a life and can't afford to play 2 hours of daily Maplestory. Instead you may prefer to play 10 hours on the weekend and try to get it all out then but the game isn't built like that. It's built around a daily quota system and when you are on daily for that small time you don't even talk to your guildies or friends cause you're too busy typing F before you need to call it a day.

Honestly, it feels just like work. you get on do your thing and hopefully finish all your inane tasks before time runs out. Rinse and repeat daily. The gems and the highlights are the raids that you do with your friends but even those are capped. Your limited from doing FUN things and promoted to do meaningless 'F' pushing everyday.

Here is what I propose:

1) Make things weekly based instead of daily based. I know that's hard but it makes it less punishing and more flexible for people's schedules. It sucks to think that I will forever miss that daily potential of exp or raiding because I had other things to do that day. It makes me not want to play.

2) Promote more FUN activities. These dailies are all really repetitive and meaningless. Make dailies like chase a guildie around for 5 minutes or some ridiculous fun stuff. Be more creative and promote what MMOs are good for, the interaction of people.

3) When your mining, gathering etc. and it gets to LOW don't punish us by lowering the percentage chance of collection. That's just mean. It's already mean to make us literally waste our time pressing 'F'. You guys do realize this is an MMO? When I'm pressing 'F' I can't even type to interact with my guildies. I'd rather play harvest moon then press F. Let us get the meaningless task of collection done as soon as possible and move on to what's ACTUALLY FUN.

4) More Raids. These are the most fun parts of the game. Get more of what's fun. Be more creative with your raid design! Incorporate block building elements like in minecraft! There's so much potential if you had a raid that required some building element as well.

Regards,

29 Year old urban professional male,
Your target Audience.

Thanks.

DalsiaFloeKasorasDanDKJeoFizzBebopWicca411Fantasykitten

Comments

• CyrroCyrro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 790
    They promote social interaction way enough. Compose some music, play in an ensemble, chit chat around, build your house and get your friends to check it out, etc.

Also, raids aren’t even out yet, only 4-man dungeons are.

Also, I don’t know what you do to be so busy with a simple 9-5, I work 55-60/week and yet can handle the wife and a lot of gaming hours. MapleStory is extremely time efficient, unlike most MMOs like WoW.
    EsferSweetrollBunny
  • KasorasKasoras
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,350
    Cyrro wrote: »
    They promote social interaction way enough. Compose some music, play in an ensemble, chit chat around, build your house and get your friends to check it out, etc.

Also, I don’t know what you do to be so busy with a simple 9-5, I work 55-60/week and yet can handle the wife and a lot of gaming hours. MapleStory is extremely time efficient, unlike most MMOs like WoW.

That's why hes saying its a mobile style mmo. Games like WoW are meant to completely immerse you, they aren't for people with little time (atleast that's how it was).
    DanDKEsfer
  • EsferEsfer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 665
    Cyrro wrote: »

Apologies for mixing up raids and dungeons.

The music feature of the game is amazing and I have been throughly enjoying it. However it still suffers from the same aspect of being a low action activity. You press play and watch. Its enjoyable and lovely however there is too much low tempo activity. Furthermore I really don't understand when people argue "hey if your bored then play music" as if that's suppose to solve the 'enjoyment problem.' Music is a great addition to the game but the majority of us did not join to mainly watch our characters play midi.

Scheduling wise I am not overall 'busy.' I just dont have a schedule flexible enough to follow a daily quota system. Some days I dont get home after work till 1 AM becuae I do in real life stuff. However I find space in other parts of my week. All I am asking for is flexibility from the rigid daily system.

Thanks for your responses. I do appreciate them.
  • JeoFizzJeoFizz
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,010
    While I don't agree with your review entirely, I do agree with most of it. The tedium of mmo's is something I enjoy or I am just used to it and jaded. All mmo's end up being tedious in the end and I look forward to the daily grind. This of course is my personal opinion of not just this game but the entire genre.

I'll let you know, I am also your age'ish, I'm a 30 year old male with a career as well. The daily caps on thing such as high end dungeons and a large compilation of daily quests that vary slightly is overwhelming to finish each day when you got to adult before you game.

I like the idea of end game content being on a weekly timer, Most mmo's do this so that endgame is less of a daily chore and more a weekly guild activity that people enjoy. Also the dailies need to be on a rotation to add some variety to the grind.

Either way great review, I love to constructive criticism in a review instead of the normal "Best game ever 10/10" or "Fail game 0/10" posts. Thank you for sharing your opinion with us!
    Esfer
  • DochiDochi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,795
    1) Make things weekly based instead of daily based. I know that's hard but it makes it less punishing and more flexible for people's schedules. It sucks to think that I will forever miss that daily potential of exp or raiding because I had other things to do that day. It makes me not want to play.

- This I agree with.

2) Promote more FUN activities. These dailies are all really repetitive and meaningless. Make dailies like chase a guildie around for 5 minutes or some ridiculous fun stuff. Be more creative and promote what MMOs are good for, the interaction of people.

- They are designed to be all over the fking map so people buy premium club. Its one of their main business models lol. This won't change. UNFORTUNATELY

3) When your mining, gathering etc. and it gets to LOW don't punish us by lowering the percentage chance of collection. That's just mean. It's already mean to make us literally waste our time pressing 'F'. You guys do realize this is an MMO? When I'm pressing 'F' I can't even type to interact with my guildies. I'd rather play harvest moon then press F. Let us get the meaningless task of collection done as soon as possible and move on to what's ACTUALLY FUN.

- Same. They can't sell auto gathering vouchers. This will stay

4) More Raids. These are the most fun parts of the game. Get more of what's fun. Be more creative with your raid design! Incorporate block building elements like in minecraft! There's so much potential if you had a raid that required some building element as well.

- This I want as well.

Some good points but 2 and 3 will not change since its their business model
    JeoFizz
  • Wicca411Wicca411
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 620
    i agree...ffffffffff lol i could fall asleep crafting and gathering every day....fffffff.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz =P not to mention the DC bug i have every 20 min and the auto cast bug that keeps me from combat.....so yeah i quit logging in so much because of fffffff and zzzzzzzzzz lol
  • SentineIsSentineIs
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    To be fair you dont have to meet the daily caps everyday to maximize your character. The weekly cap is 30. If you do 10 a day youll hit that cap in less then half a week. Ive been enjoying myself just running 2 to 4 HM a day and tossing in some dungeons for trophies. I still get the 30 per week, but its a lot less stressful. You can burn through 10 dungeons on weekends, and take it easy on weekdays.

The cap is there to prevent botters from overflowing the market. Not to make casual players forced to play. Thats why the weekly cap is 30 not 70.
  • DocDoomDocDoom
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,265
    A question though, does KMS differs anything from the version we are playing? Do they have all this fun and suggestions you've made as a whole? Because what I mean is, if a game that is up since 2015 and people are playing daily, how miserable can it be? People seem to enjoy it...
  • strawberriesstrawberries
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    all i do with my life at the moment is video games (i play games for at least 10+ hours per day) and im finding it hard to keep up with all this daily stuff i gotta do
    i dont even do all my dungeons in a week , i take like an hour to farm/ranch/forage/mine and not even including time it takes to craft stuff i also have to sacrifice 24 innocents to my pet every day, then i gotta do cathy mart/premium dungeon, use the maple coins, whew not enough time to do all the stuff i wanna do
    u don't only play this game though im invested in other stuff too T___T trying to grind tokens in LoL takes up a lot of time too

there has to be a better way to build my house the angles u can build at suck. and u have to place each block individually so tedious >.<
    also all my friends left the guild we decided to found not even a week after to join big guild for the raids i am sad

complaining aside this is my first mmo that ive really played (200ish hours as of right now) and its pretty fun just wish it didnt take freaking hours to do farming/crafting efficiently
  • remsrems
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    yeah gathering/crafting takes too long!!! (also crafting lags when looking at it happen and not in another window! huh wtf)