Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Golden chests not spawning

JammyJammy
MapleStory 2 Rep: 565
in Bug Reporting
Is anyone else having the issue with the golden chests not spawning in these locations?
- Expedition Base: Open a hidden golden treasure chest (0/1)
- Aurora Laboratory: Open a hidden golden treasure chest (0/2)
- Lulu Village: Open the hidden golden treasure chest at the town hall (0/1)
- Forsaken Fields: Open a hidden golden treasure chest (0/2)
- Lion's Gate: Open a hidden golden treasure chest (0/4)

I reported it directly through customer service however the customer service seems rather awful given they just respond telling me to channel hop or come back later, even after telling them twice that i already channel hopped and came back over numerous days. It seems like the issue isnt being taken seriously on Nexon's part, more than likely because gold chests arent as popular as talking to people exploration goals (AKA the broken speak with pardore exploration goal which was taken seriously and fixed within a week).

If i am wrong however and it just so happens to be me being super unlucky always coming when all the gold chests have been taken by others then ill openly apologise.

Comments

• MizaruMizaru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    These have been reported multiple times. I wouldn't contact customer service about such matters, since usually they're just hires that can help with matters that don't include anything related to gameplay.
  • KewkkyKewkky
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,235
    edited 1:49PM October 26, 2018
    Through observation and having played CBT1, CBT2 and early access, I've come to the conclusion that they're not bugged. At first I thought they were, but it's all part of a system that is working fine.

Maps have golden and wooden chests that spawn in certain locations, with a caveat. Not all chests spawn at the same time, and they spawn + despawn at certain intervals. I learned of the spawn/despawn rate when my guild got the "Open 5 wooden chests with guildmates" daily quest, since it shows you the location of wooden chests in the map as long as you haven't completed the quest. I went to a map that had wooden chests, and timed it from when they spawned, despawned, and respawned again.

It seems that different maps have different timers, but there's always a certain point where wooden chests despaw, a certain time where golden chests despawn, and a certain time where both types despawn. This hard despawn time lasts for 5 or 10 minutes, at which point a randomly-selected set number of each type of chest respawns into the map. This lasts anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 minutes, at which point the cycle repeats itself.

I believe you've just been unlucky. I'm very confident in this information as I have observed and timed it all myself instead of depended on someone else for this knowledge. My recommendation is to do the same thing: on the maps you want the golden chests, as soon as you find any golden chest anywhere in the map (even if it's not the one you want), wait right by it and note at what time it despawns. It should be at either :00, :05, :10, :15, ..., :50, or :55 minute marks. Then move around the map until you see a new chest, and note what time it spawned at. It should also be at a minute mark that's a multiple of 5. Now that you have one set of despawn/respawn times, you can then come to the map and go channel-by-channel until you find the chest you want, and then stop once they despawn. Likewise, you can just set an alarm for the respawn timer, then go to the map and start searching channel-by-channel once the alarm goes off.
  • JammyJammy
    Kewkky wrote: »
    Through observation and having played CBT1, CBT2 and early access, I've come to the conclusion that they're not bugged. At first I thought they were, but it's all part of a system that is working fine.

Maps have golden and wooden chests that spawn in certain locations, with a caveat. Not all chests spawn at the same time, and they spawn + despawn at certain intervals. I learned of the spawn/despawn rate when my guild got the "Open 5 wooden chests with guildmates" daily quest, since it shows you the location of wooden chests in the map as long as you haven't completed the quest. I went to a map that had wooden chests, and timed it from when they spawned, despawned, and respawned again.

It seems that different maps have different timers, but there's always a certain point where wooden chests despaw, a certain time where golden chests despawn, and a certain time where both types despawn. This hard despawn time lasts for 5 or 10 minutes, at which point a randomly-selected set number of each type of chest respawns into the map. This lasts anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 minutes, at which point the cycle repeats itself.

I believe you've just been unlucky. I'm very confident in this information as I have observed and timed it all myself instead of depended on someone else for this knowledge. My recommendation is to do the same thing: on the maps you want the golden chests, as soon as you find any golden chest anywhere in the map (even if it's not the one you want), wait right by it and note at what time it despawns. It should be at either :00, :05, :10, :15, ..., :50, or :55 minute marks. Then move around the map until you see a new chest, and note what time it spawned at. It should also be at a minute mark that's a multiple of 5. Now that you have one set of despawn/respawn times, you can then come to the map and go channel-by-channel until you find the chest you want, and then stop once they despawn. Likewise, you can just set an alarm for the respawn timer, then go to the map and start searching channel-by-channel once the alarm goes off.

Have you collected said chests yourself?
  • MizaruMizaru
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,025
    Jammy wrote: »

Yeah, these chests seem to be unavailable, so unless you or someone you know (must be proven) have collected these, I count them as bugged too.
  • JammyJammy
    Mizaru wrote: »

Yeah, these chests seem to be unavailable, so unless you or someone you know (must be proven) have collected these, I count them as bugged too.

This was going to be my next point once he answered, although his lengthy post is informative, without actually collecting them himself, its irrelevant to the original question.
  • KewkkyKewkky
    edited 3:24PM October 26, 2018

Nope! They really do seem to be bugged, lol. I just wanted to throw this random bit of info out on the next golden chest thread I found (and now possibly for the naysayers so they could test it as well, such as me previously and the GMs). I just tried finding the Forsaken Fields ones for a full hour across multiple channels and couldn't find either of them.

That being said, the info holds true for every other map in the game, barring the ones in your opening post.
  • JammyJammy

Nope! They really do seem to be bugged, lol. I just wanted to throw this random bit of info out on the next golden chest thread I found (and now possibly for the naysayers so they could test it as well, such as me previously and the GMs). I just tried finding the Forsaken Fields ones for a full hour across multiple channels and couldn't find either of them.

That being said, the info holds true for every other map in the game, barring the ones in your opening post.

I'd just like to say that i was stood in the known location of a gold chest for an hour (since your post). The chest didnt spawn once.
  • KewkkyKewkky
    I'd just like to say that i was stood in the known location of a gold chest for an hour (since your post). The chest didnt spawn once.

I did the same when you asked, since I didn't have proof about the golden chests there. Although this method does work for any other golden/wooden chest in any other map that isn't listed in your OP. I personally haven't hunted for golden chests yet, as I did it in CBT1 + CBT2 and am still a little burned out. I had my own personal guide and everything accessible to my guildies via google drive.
  • rubystarrubystar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    These have been reported multiple times. I wouldn't contact customer service about such matters, since usually they're just hires that can help with matters that don't include anything related to gameplay.

if customer service cant help, is there anywhere else to report this?
  • thdthd
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,605
    rubystar wrote: »

it's not on their priority list right now. that's why they are not taking any actions I guess..
  • JammyJammy
    thd wrote: »
    rubystar wrote: »

it's not on their priority list right now. that's why they are not taking any actions I guess..

referring back to what i said. Perhaps its not their priority, because they outright refuse to acknowledge its existence.
  • FrozareFrozare
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 600
    Ah crap, I was switching chs for a while looking for one. I've had bad rng with certain chests so I had no idea!
  • KhongiKhongi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
    Are they being taken by those teleport bots?

I did some golden chest trophies in headstart and then stopped, tried to pick it up only the other day and witnessed many teleport bots teleport to the chest location right before a chest spawned and I had no chance to loot before the chest vanished, happened in seconds, even trying to take a screenie was too slow. I'm finding it near impossible to complete the exploration golden chest goals as well as the trophies because of this now.

I reported this on the feedback forum as customer service told me it wasn't a bug (was also told to cc) they said if I get enough ppl talking about it the developers would take notice. ... :( notice senpais
  • AlfaniAlfani
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,775
    Just wanted to say that I have also tried and failed on multiple days across multiple channels to locate any of the golden chests from the op.
    I only have five more explorations goal stars to go before I reach 100%, but unable to do so thanks to the BUG.
    Please fix so this completionist can mark these off her checklist, tytyy~
  • ValrosValros
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 425
    Is there any eta on the fix on this or are the mods totally ignoring the fact that you cant 100% achieve the exploration goals , as this issue has bin sins Launce and it seams they are not telling us when or if they ever tend to fix this...
  • JammyJammy
    Valros wrote: »
    Is there any eta on the fix on this or are the mods totally ignoring the fact that you cant 100% achieve the exploration goals , as this issue has bin sins Launce and it seams they are not telling us when or if they ever tend to fix this...

It would seem its not being taken seriously as its existed now for two server updates and nothing about it. I think until someone can actually be bothered to bring it forward to the devs its not going to be fixed.
  • thigh_highsthigh_highs
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 920
    Nexon is aware of the issue, it was acknowledged in the most recent patch notes. They aren't "ignoring" it, their priorities are just elsewhere.

9703263109e3ab475b4b9bb9ac716819.png
  • rubystarrubystar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    this issue has been fixed in the chaos raid update. finally