Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Founder's Pack "Re-run"?

AlexstrazsaAlexstrazsa
MapleStory 2 Rep: 805
edited 11:57AM November 4, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
So I don't know how many people are in the same boat as me, but here it goes.

When MapleStory 2 was announced to get a global version, I was a bit hesitant on it. Having been a long time player of MS1 and seeing what became of that game, I didn't know how MapleStory 2 would fare. I went and signed up for the CBT and did all the roadmap stuff anyway, because MapleStory was a bit of a nostalgic thing for me. Maybe I'd try it for a bit and see what happened. Nexon was behind it, so I didn't have high hopes.

Fast forward to the Founder's Pack. Three different options for early access to the game, but starting cost was $25. I don't know about anyone else, but $25 to get early access to a game I didn't even know if I'd enjoy was a little steep. I also never got into the CBT, so I was going in blind. Regretfully, I decided to wait it out, skip the Founder's Pack, and start playing on the 10th with everyone else.

Now we're in the game's second week, and I honestly wish I could go back and buy the Legendary Founder's Pack when I had the chance. That's how much I've been enjoying MS2. I have over 120+ hours played so far and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. MS2 reignited my passion for the MMO genre, and has immersed me like no game has since World of Warcraft back in 2005.

I'd really be grateful for an opportunity to purchase a Founder's Pack. (You know, the "right" way, without buying someone's account because that's a no-no.)

Maybe other people are feeling that sting of regret? I added a poll, and would love to hear if anyone else feels the same.

Edit: By this point, the game is nearing a month since release, so the Founder's Pack coming back is highly unlikely. If it did, I'd be very confused. But I've seen several suggestions for a different pack with different rewards, like a "Supporter's Pack" (thanks BladeSoul69). I'd be pretty okay with that too. While not the same, it'd definitely fill the void a bit.
Sherri
  1. Would you purchase a Founder's Pack if it were available?89 votes
    1. Yes
       60% (53 votes)
    2. No
       40% (36 votes)

Comments

• JetUppercutJetUppercut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,535
    There's a lot of very angry, very dumb people that will argue against this, even though other people being able to buy a Founder's pack doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever. So just be prepared for that.

Personally not against it, nor am I against the idea of a similar pack being released with the same value for money as a compromise if Nexon keeping valueless pixels 'exclusive' is too important for anybody to entertain the idea of other people having the same items as them.
    Sherri
  • AlexstrazsaAlexstrazsa
    There's a lot of very angry, very dumb people that will argue against this, even though other people being able to buy a Founder's pack doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever. So just be prepared for that.

Yeah, that's to be expected. I feel like it's still early enough in the game's life cycle that they could reasonably get away with having the founder's pack available again, but people will still definitely complain that's not fair to those who took the risk with their money.
  • SaranethSaraneth
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,995
    I wish I could buy it now. Feel so gutted I missed out on it.
  • BippzyBippzy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,055
    edited 3:00AM October 25, 2018
    I agree with your sentiments and your feelings about being able to buy founders packs, but at the same time, they're called founder's packs for a reason. They were for people who believed the game would do well enough to benefit them in the long run as well as benefit Nexon. I got the legendary founder's pack, but that isn't influencing what I say, as I almost never get founder's packs because I'm often not sure of the game I'd be investing in (but MapleStory 2 has the name behind it and I did believe it'd do well). I would never say "yes I got a thing and you don't deserve it because you didn't do it early enough" because I've been in a very similar position where I wished I got a founder's pack for a game.

However!

Because founders were promised a certain exclusivity for items and whatnot, a lot of players would be upset if they released those exclusive things to people after the period that was guaranteed to them. I'm not one of those people and if they released the founder's packs one more time, say, within the first month to get those extra supporters who wanted a trial run of the game before investing, then I wouldn't have a problem. I was lucky enough to get into CBT2, so that sold me on the game and I was inclined to buy a founder's pack. I know a good many people weren't able to have the same luck for either CBT, so if they decided to release the founder's packs one more time (maybe for like, even just a week) then I think Nexon would see a big benefit.

So yeah, as long as they did it in a tasteful way that respected previous founder's members (aka a very limited chance at the founder's packs to keep exclusive things exclusive and not offering different items to "new" founders that original founders would have no access to), then I would be on board. If it were a thing that was just readily available as an ongoing thing, it would upset a lot of people and I'd feel like the money I spent early would be a bit of a waste as I could have waited forever to get it.

Hopefully I made sense. I understand your reasoning but I want the whole founder's thing to be fair to everyone as much as possible, especially those who thought they would be getting an exclusive reward for investing early.
    MintyliciousSproutiMizumaCaitheLofiVibes
  • ExotysExotys
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 685
    Of course People Will argue against that, and its perfectly understandable.

I mean "founder pack" have this name for something, it's because People gave this money in order to help the launch. Yeah it was a step for you to put 25$ in the game without knowing, but some People in the same situation as yours DID take the risk to help the game. That why the game give them uniques gifts to thank them to trust in MS2 since the beginning. Now you want the same gifts without this act of trust, but if you can get that, dont you think the the gift MS2 did to their TRUE founder's Will loose in "value".

If you enjoy the game, buy the packs that are in the Shop ATM and dont try to get something you dont deserve (i say that without offense, but the founder's items was "earned" by the trust you couldn't give to MS2 pre-launch)

Seeya
    ShybzShadowsBeneaMintyliciousSnackCakesDueroBebopTamakiSakuraHowlyeHeartdonorMeso_Manand 6 others.
  • MareSEphemeralMareSEphemeral
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,680
    Exotys wrote: »
    Of course People Will argue against that, and its perfectly understandable.

I mean "founder pack" have this name for something, it's because People gave this money in order to help the launch. Yeah it was a step for you to put 25$ in the game without knowing, but some People in the same situation as yours DID take the risk to help the game. That why the game give them uniques gifts to thank them to trust in MS2 since the beginning. Now you want the same gifts without this act of trust, but if you can get that, dont you think the the gift MS2 did to their TRUE founder's Will loose in "value".

If you enjoy the game, buy the packs that are in the Shop ATM and dont try to get something you dont deserve (i say that without offense, but the founder's items was "earned" by the trust you couldn't give to MS2 pre-launch)

Seeya

Honestly, this. You can't expect to go to Amazon and ask to buy their stocks at $1 again because you missed out on it when the company was starting out.
    ShybzEinoMintyliciousHeartdonorSnackCakesCryoGXTamakiSakuraTeleDanDKShayarahlaand 1 other.
  • SaranethSaraneth
    edited 3:32AM October 25, 2018
    Honestly, this. You can't expect to go to Amazon and ask to buy their stocks at $1 again because you missed out on it when the company was starting out.

Completely different scenario. You can still buy Amazon stocks.

I would have gotten a founders pack but I didn't know about the game until 2 days ago.
    AwxisSherriVrykodin
  • AlexstrazsaAlexstrazsa
    Exotys wrote: »
    Now you want the same gifts without this act of trust, but if you can get that, dont you think the the gift MS2 did to their TRUE founder's Will loose in "value".

Yes, I want to pay for them. I want the ability to give Nexon money for a Founder's pack that people had every reason to be hesitant on purchasing. Honestly, if they made it available even two days after the game had launched I'd already have one.

Arguably, a re-released Founder's pack is actually less value than the original, because the original came with a two week head start which is irrelevant now. It's just down to cosmetics and in-game currency.
  • BladeSoul69BladeSoul69
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,315
    I don't think Nexon should re-release the Founder's Pack, just because we have regrets about not giving money when it was still a risk. It simply wouldn't be fair to the original buyers.

A better solution would be to release a new pack thats has a similar value, but not the Founder's exclusives. So the mount/outfits would be different but the merets/premium would be the same.
    MintyliciousSnackCakesTechn0mancerCelestialKitsuneNisue
  • ExotysExotys
    You dont understand my point.

This was a gift for People Who help the launch, allowing MS2 to get a well-sized team, maybe more servers, ect...

But its hard to ask People to pay for something they know nothing about. So they give exclusive gift. I'M notre gonna lie, more than 99% of founder pack's was buy for the exclusive and not to help the team. But it DID help the team.

Now remember, you said it was à step for you to buy a pack without knowing the game. I'M not blaming you, i've been à student, i know about money issues. BUT, some other People did it, and helped a lot for the launch. The team seems to do a "pretty good job so far".

Now, why those People Who helped the game to be as good as it is (and you agree me, you love it) shouldn't be rewarded ? I mean if you want a pack "I was here since the beginning" with OTHER exclusive outfit, I would agree 100% with you but dont ask for a pack "I trusted this game even before the beginning" because you did not, right ?
  • BurisuBurisu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    "MS2 reignited my passion for the MMO genre""

That hit me. I'm thirsty for a fun MMO and I judged too quickly for the new ones that's going to come including MP2. I told to myself "Here we go again with the Founders Pack Wallet Draining Scam" basically Ignoring every news that I kept seeing about MP2. Then it Officially opened and I was like "Might as well try it" and got hooked like I missed everything from an MMO and MP2 gave it to me. I mean its all cute and fluffy , the mini games, the sides quests the events, trophies etc! There are heaps to do in the game. I just wish there would be a limited time offer for another round of founders pack.
    Alexstrazsa
  • SaranethSaraneth
    How does it hurt you in any way if they allow us to buy founders packs apart from your epeen?
  • SkyCalleRSkyCalleR
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 820
    its called founder pack of a reason, why should it be rerun on it? then it destroy the actually wording of "founder pack".
    SnackCakesCaitheNisue
  • AlexstrazsaAlexstrazsa
    edited 4:37AM October 25, 2018
    I don't think Nexon should re-release the Founder's Pack, just because we have regrets about not giving money when it was still a risk. It simply wouldn't be fair to the original buyers.

A better solution would be to release a new pack thats has a similar value, but not the Founder's exclusives. So the mount/outfits would be different but the merets/premium would be the same.

I agree somewhat! The only reason I pitched the idea of re-releasing it is because the game is still in it's first month, so there's still a window where it could be considered a Founder's Pack. Then again, the main draw for me personally is the title and nameplate that you get. The other stuff is just a bonus, so unless there's an additional title and plate, it wouldn't be as worth it (Personally).

Burisu wrote: »
    I told to myself "Here we go again with the Founders Pack Wallet Draining Scam" basically Ignoring every news that I kept seeing about MP2.

Yeah, pretty much. The modern game market is just so draining with all the early access junk that when something legitimately good comes along, you might miss it.
  • CLCCLC
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,375
    edited 4:38AM October 25, 2018

I'll take the bait.

You do know what limited edition means right?
    What do you think will happen if they blatantly break a promise to their player base after 2 weeks after release?
    SnackCakesHeartdonorTeleCaitheNisue
  • SaranethSaraneth
    edited 4:44AM October 25, 2018
    Tera Online, you can still buy founder keys for that game of which I did and it doesn't appear to have hurt anyone. Are players of MS2 just that sensitive?
  • AlexstrazsaAlexstrazsa
    CLC wrote: »
    What do you think will happen if they go back on their word of making founders pack a limited time purchase 2 weeks after release?

1. Make a lot of sales from people like me who now know the game is worth it.
    2. Increase the number of people with "Founder" in front of their name. Some people care about that, but the more the merrier I say.
    3. A small minority of people get upset and possibly quit, but with over a million players in the first week I don't think it would cut into the playerbase that hard.

Also, some people might say "what would stop them from re-re-releasing it?", so I'll just address that now:

Like I said in previous posts, the game is still in such an early stage that they could still do this and not face too many issues. It's not even been released a month. And this would be a one time thing. Like "You've played the game, you know if you like it. Here's one last chance to get your Founder's Pack." I would never expect them to do a re-release past the first one or two months, because by that point it doesn't make sense anymore and the game is already established.
  • CLCCLC
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,375
    Saraneth wrote: »
    How does it hurt you in any way if they allow us to buy founders packs apart from your epeen?

It doesn't. It's like releasing a limited time Halloween item. After it was so popular they made it all year around.

What if this was their first Halloween item they've ever released?
    Would you still believe anything is has a limited time anymore?
    Why even make it a founders pack if they were to do this?

The only issue I have is them releasing them as limited edition, then changing it. That's a total bait and switch.
    SnackCakes
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,535
    edited 4:47AM October 25, 2018
    CLC wrote: »

I'll take the bait.

You do know what limited edition means right?
    What do you think will happen if they blatantly break a promise to their player base after 2 weeks after release?

The same thing that happened when they added the entire premium shop into a $3 lootbox and locked outfits behind a minimum $100 gamble wall?
    Some localized whining until they make a compromise.

Because the only things worth owning out of the founders pack are the merets.
    Everything else is just filler.
    Woah, a single-character emote I'll never use.
    Awesome, an insignia and title. The game doesn't give you a million of them for free.
    Amazing, an ugly outfit and useless ground mount. Oh boy.
    The only actual reason to get the Founder's Pack was to get into CBT2 and Headstart. They're over now.

If Nexon brings them back, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I mean they made so much money from them while the game wasn't even free it seems kinda dumb to me that they stopped selling them or didn't have a 'Release Pack' lined up when Founder's Packs ended.
    But I don't work for Nexon so I can't speak for their bad business decisions.
  • ExotysExotys
    Hmm, last try for me, then i quit :3

Why dont you as for an OTHER pack ? With OTHE exclusive, because yes, i understand your need tout reward the gale for the fun it gave you, but you are not à FOUNDER.

Let me give you an exemple:

You develop à little mobile game or whatever, but you need help on some points, but no money

You go tout the bank and say "gimme money nerds" and they laught

Now you go hom, sad, and talk about your game to a friend, he love it, together, you talk about it to all your friend, everyone love it, you reddit some informations and get in top tendances, soit much People are ready tout buy it before you even release it !

Now you go back tout the bank and show them those feedbacks, and say "gimme money nerds"

Now you got your money.

Same with founder pack, with all the pre-sold, the producter trust the project and give more.

Now they are launch, no more money for producter, if you buy a pack, its Still good, but it's not the same impact.

Thats Why I told you about the "reward the People Who trust the project". Because it's a risk they toOK, but it help À LOT