CM Kyrios explains the team's plans moving forward!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45796/

Shield Booster Incorrect Buff Time?

NachanNachan
MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
in Knight
I've read and reread the description of Shield Booster to make sure my assumption is correct, although with the typo I could be wrong. If you take away the period between "450" and "For 10 Sec", that would mean you get a buff of 450 Physical-Defence and Magic-Defence for 10 seconds. However, this isn't the case. The buff only lasts for half a second. This leaves me with two questions.

1. If this works as intended, in what purpose or scenario would this half second buff be useful (compared to shield wall)?
2. Why hasn't the typo been corrected? It doesn't even say how long the buff lasts in the description and I'm definitely not the only one confused.

Comments

• DioreDiore
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 555
    edited 4:38PM October 24, 2018
    Yah the description sucks lol, the 450 defense buff applies during the parry window and if you get hit during parry, you get the Shield Master buff (which lasts 10 seconds). So it's a way to guarantee proc the Shield Master buff. The parry is short and hard to time, especially with poor ping. Pretty dope when you get it right though.

EDIT: Used wrong term; parrying an attack with Shield Booster gives Shield Mastery buff
    Nachan
  • NachanNachan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
    Diore wrote: »
    Yah the description sucks lol, the 450 defense buff applies during the parry window and if you get hit during parry, you get the Shield Booster buff (which lasts 10 seconds). So it's a way to guarantee proc the Shield Booster buff. The parry is short and hard to time, especially with poor ping. Pretty dope when you get it right though.

Thanks for the reply! This makes so much more sense. I know the descriptions need to be short enough to fit the ui but surely it deserves a revision.
  • ZifienZifien
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    edited 12:04PM October 24, 2018
    It doesn't say that the resistant buff is 10s.

What Shield Booster actually does is give you a 1s buff of resistance, kind of like a way to block incoming damage if timed right.

The 10s buff is called a counter buff. Normally this can only be activated by Shield Mastery when you do a perfect block (both a chance of perfect blocking and it activating) and when you do you'll get the counter buff which increases your damage based on your mastery of the skill for 10s.

Shield Booster does 2 things to this:

1st you can activate the buff by taking damage, not just by perfect blocking.
    2nd it further increases the damage boost from Shield Mastery to stack with the passive boost from whatever rank you have from Shield Booster.

Reference Pictures:
    https://imgur.com/ZS1FA1u - Counter Attack Buff Icon
    https://imgur.com/QEmvGnh - Shield Booster Skill Description
    https://imgur.com/ZQfdr1L - Shield Mastery Skill Description

Reference Video:

at 00:36 You can see the resistant boost for about a second
    at 01:10 You can see that I didn't block anything, however I still got the counter buff
  • SAN_QSAN_Q
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    Sorry I could be slow but could you explain that again?

you said shield booster can be activated while just taking damage. this includes the 450 res bonuses, correrct? what exactly is the chance of the buff occurring while taking damage?
  • DioreDiore
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 555
    edited 12:15PM October 27, 2018
    SAN_Q wrote: »
    Sorry I could be slow but could you explain that again?

you said shield booster can be activated while just taking damage. this includes the 450 res bonuses, correrct? what exactly is the chance of the buff occurring while taking damage?

It's Shield Mastery buff, not booster
    The one that gives 10% dmg
    It's 100% of getting the buff if you parry correctly

The Shield Mastery passive gives you a chance to get the buff when you block, but it's random. Shield Booster is the one way you can activate it yourself