Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Getting Kind of Boring

ZarozianZarozian
MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,520
in General Chat
So with the Epic quest out of the way and the 30/30 dungeons done for the week, there is not much else to do other than auto-playing music all day.

Progress is slow on the guild of course, but at least we have something to look forward to, so I try chatting with other people and it turns out that they are bored too, there doesn't seem to be enough socializing going on or random chatter with strangers in Tria.

So I have come to the conclusion that 30 runs per a week is actually quite stupid. o -o

They should really just remove it. As for the mini-games like Dance Dance Stop, they should allow people to hang around and get a moment to chat instead of kicking them all out right away. I just feel like so much more can be done, but the game isn't hitting its full potential.
FantasykittenCLCGricelyProchillesWicca411

Comments

• DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    edited 5:41PM October 23, 2018
    Leveling is just too fast, and most things can be acquired quickly. Feels rushed. I am very far from finishing my main storyline but i am level 60. I didnt even do any afk piano or afk fishing.

felt more connected to the pre big-bang maplestory where progression was very slow and i had time to feel connected to the different locations. Even travelling from one location to another via a boat, you had to wait a few minutes, giving players time to interact with each other before arriving at the destination. It was exciting on that one boat where there was a chance for balrog to appear and kill all low level players. Death was a huge deal so people felt more on edge about going into high level areas. The party quests were more complex and required a lot of coordination.

Or maybe im just a boring washed up adult now and i dont feel the same magic with video games compared to when i was a little kid and im biased.

That being said the game has only just come out and hopefully there will be a lot of new content, and higher levels will take longer to acquire.

DanDKBatislackPhoBoyShadowsBeneaDalsiaZacharieKimZerolioXXPriestXX44
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Leveling is just too fast, and most things can be acquired quickly. Feels rushed. I am very far from finishing my main storyline but i am level 60. I didnt even do any afk piano or afk fishing.

felt more connected to the pre big-bang maplestory where progression was very slow and i had time to feel connected to the different locations. Even travelling from one location to another via a boat, you had to wait a few minutes, giving players time to interact with each other before arriving at the destination. It was exciting on that one boat where there was a chance for balrog to appear and kill all low level players. Death was a huge deal so people felt more on edge about going into high level areas. The party quests were more complex and required a lot of coordination.

Or maybe im just a boring washed up adult now and i dont feel the same magic with video games compared to when i was a little kid and im biased.

That being said the game has only just come out and hopefully there will be a lot of new content, and higher levels will take longer to acquire.

Yes but most importantly that allowed you to interact with people. I personally love people, especially when they are able to express themselves properly and be themselves and have a long chat, but it doesn't seem like people stick around in one place for long and if they do they are afk in some other place.

But I am guilty of doing that too. Life doesn't want to give you a break to be alone with yourself and your game. Maybe one day the concept of accelerated world will be real and we can enter a simulation where reality is accelerated many times, so that an hour in the game will feel like a month.

I might be rambling a bit, but there's actually a popular theory that's been going on for a while now, about how we are just simulation and that our descendants are just playing as us to learn about something important that happened in this particular era in history that caused some great big change of some significant importance in their future. It's really funny to think that we would be known as incredible people someday in our life time and yet it's slowly becoming true each passing year. Don't you just hate that feeling when it feels like the world and all its events are scripted?
    DanDKTechn0mancerShadowsBeneaDalsiaXXPriestXX44
  • SenjinSenjin
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 810
    edited 6:07PM October 23, 2018
    I don't feel the same way with everything here, but a lot of it is definitely true.

The leveling isn't that bad imho, it's short if you rush it but there's plenty of side missions. exploration goals and other things to do. My first character took a few days to level as I did plenty of the available content. I do agree though, the storyline can be rushed extremely easily, I've leveled my alts in about 4 hours each.

Zarozian wrote: »
    So with the Epic quest out of the way and the 30/30 dungeons done for the week, there is not much else to do other than auto-playing music all day.

Exploration Goals, Trophies, Going to player housing to socialize, Building, Creating Clothes and Fishing/Music are a few examples I give, granted, some of those might not be for everyone, but I feel like there's plenty to do and it's hard to have nothing to do. There is a point where Trophies/Exploration Goals become a little bit ridiculous, I.E. the higher tier trophies have ridiculous requirements that would likely take years, master fishing required for certain exploration goals etc.
    Zarozian wrote: »
    Progress is slow on the guild of course, but at least we have something to look forward to, so I try chatting with other people and it turns out that they are bored too, there doesn't seem to be enough socializing going on or random chatter with strangers in Tria.

So I have come to the conclusion that 30 runs per a week is actually quite stupid. o -o

They should really just remove it. As for the mini-games like Dance Dance Stop, they should allow people to hang around and get a moment to chat instead of kicking them all out right away. I just feel like so much more can be done, but the game isn't hitting its full potential.

I think there should be a dungeon cap if Nexon wants to limit the progression, just I feel 30 is a bit low, at least 50 would be nice and I believe a change is coming to that in an upcoming patch.
    If you want to meet people and chat, Tria is not the place to do that, most cities aren't the place to do that. Check world chat, look for someone advertising their house for whatever reason and give it a look. There's plenty of people who have chill house parties and plenty of chat and talking, though, there might only be a lot of people there because, like you, they are bored.
    I'd like it if I could stay in mini-game lobbies a little longer, I feel like a couple of people at least would stay to chat. Don't really know why they bother kicking you out anyway, honestly, why not let people hang there?
    I think if Nexon didn't want to limit progression in some way, there wouldn't be a cap, they must want too many people to get ridiculously geared for the upcoming raids release, which I think is a good thing, the content will be challenging that way.

If you guys disagree, feel free to respond ofc.
    Hope I got you guys to consider doing something you wouldn't have thought of doing before :)
    Zarozian
  • ShawnyyShawnyy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,120
    There are many elements of that game that allowed and rewarded people for staying in one place and farming monsters. It’s called Meso farming. That does not exist within this game and there fore there is no reason for people to go to certain maps unless they are doing dailies.

Another thing I will say is that this game is extremely restrictive in order to ensure people don’t “finish the game” in a day. Which makes you tend to rush things in the case of some people. For example if you have a job and you work 9-5 for example. You’d be home 530 maybe 6 est. gives you 2 hours to rush through all the dailies and dungeons and lifeskills if you haven’t done those, and try to get all that done by 8 for the reset or you will fall behind the herd.
    ZarozianDanDK
  • DragonicWolfDragonicWolf
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,320
    Shawnyy wrote: »
    There are many elements of that game that allowed and rewarded people for staying in one place and farming monsters. It’s called Meso farming. That does not exist within this game and there fore there is no reason for people to go to certain maps unless they are doing dailies.

Another thing I will say is that this game is extremely restrictive in order to ensure people don’t “finish the game” in a day. Which makes you tend to rush things in the case of some people. For example if you have a job and you work 9-5 for example. You’d be home 530 maybe 6 est. gives you 2 hours to rush through all the dailies and dungeons and lifeskills if you haven’t done those, and try to get all that done by 8 for the reset or you will fall behind the herd.

Why is there a concern about 'falling behind'? People can join an mmo two or three years late and still enjoy the game.
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,435
    Shawnyy wrote: »

Why is there a concern about 'falling behind'? People can join an mmo two or three years late and still enjoy the game.

People who are demanding higher and higher gear scores for runs. (We're already starting to see that)

people getting rude about partying and having to run with people right at the 2100 gear score wall. (We're starting to see this too.)

The further behind you are, the less desirable you will be to run with. Guilds can also be picky about your gear score as well. Especially as time goes on.

Most people who join a MMO late end up never really getting into endgame content because they make friends with people who start at the same point but then outpace them, or vice versa. A limit doesn't put everyone on equal ground, but it does limit the variance between players.
    BeariieXXPriestXX44
  • MochaLatteMochaLatte
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,475
    No one is anywhere near having:

6 Lifeskills maxed
    Fishing/music maxed
    lvl 100 Prestige
    All the drops from the Alchemy Ground/Air Mount random boxes
    +13-15 weapon w/ full armor/accessory set with piercing/boss rolls
    Accessories with expanded gem slots and lvl 2-3 gems in them
    8+ classes lvl 50
    All dyes/stars/trophies
    All earnable costume pieces and mounts
    All pets
    Fully designed house
    Max rank guild and guild house
    And more...

There is so much to do.
    EinoPhoBoyTsenenathuisDyphaxGrizzly_Tank
  • BatislackBatislack
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,805
    edited 3:38AM October 24, 2018
    No, you're not a boring washed up adult. You are perfectly right. This game, along the vast majority of games nowadays, are trying too hard to be like mobile games. Cheap, fast and easy entertainment with instant gratification. One click required to get what you want instead of a journey.

You are absolutely right about the pre-bigbang maplestory. You could feel a connection with other players back then because of the things you had to do to go where you wanted to go.
    Just look at the differences between both games when it comes to just traveling around.
    World travelling
    Maplestory 2: Taxis every other maps + Ultra cheap Helicopter service to teleport anywhere
    Original Maplestory: Taxis only in main cities + City teleportations scrolls. In order to go to another continent, need to take the "boats" services which would take between 5 to 20 minutes of wait time each. Don't get me started on how awesome the ludibrium towers and el-nath tower and mountain climb was.

Map travelling
    Maplestory 2: Fly above every monsters on the vast majority of maps, minimaps everywhere (except that 1 map that has no minimap), even on ground, monsters can't possibly stop or slow you down in any efficient way, let alone threaten you if you are too low level for the zone. Can simply waltz through everything no problem. The layout of the map doesn't matter at all, even though this three-dimension has so much potential for amazing layouts... if only flying wasn't a thing.
    Original Maplestory: Have to go through monsters in order to get from point A to point B and if you are too low level, you deader than dead. Tons of maps without a minimap. Travelling from one side of the map to the other could be extremely hard depending on the layout of the map. You HAD to go through those maps because no fast travelling.

Exploration
    Maplestory 2: None. There is no exploration to be done. So far, after going through every single map the current Maplestory 2 has to offer, there was literally only 1 secret map, the Stranger's House, which is a throwback to the original maplestory. Everything is on the world map outside of a few specific maps. All the dungeons are marked as well.
    Original Maplestory: Only the main maps are on the world map, the vast majority of maps aren't marked. No dungeons stamped on the world map either. A TONS of hidden maps, many hidden bosses like Mushmom, Zombie Mushmom, etc.

And I could make a whole list of those points for every single part of the game, whether it be dungeons, leveling, events, quests... But really, by far the most iconic difference, the one thing that made socializing huge in the original maplestory was the Free Market. It made buying and selling items harder than just listing or buying from an auction house. You had to talk to people if you wanted something at a fair price, otherwise you still had to go and SEE the people, even if you weren't talking to them, to buy from them.

All those QoL features the MMORPGs have nowadays? They may make it easier to complete the content you want to do, but they kill the social aspect of the game by making everything so easy and cheap to access.

We've seen it in more than just Maplestory, dungeon chat being completely silent because why even talk to these people? You didn't have to talk to them to find a group and they are nothing more than a mean to an end.
    Hard dungeons in this game are the closest you get to social content because you actually need to find the group yourself rather than use the LFG tool. Normal dungeons are completely silent.
    ZarozianDragonicWolfZerolioXXPriestXX44GuardianRS
  • ZarozianZarozian
    The demand for higher gear score will only increase as harder dungeons are implemented lol. So players who want to run Balrog in the Temple of Immortals will need to both, know what they are doing and have a high enough gear score to look convincing, with the exception of Knight & Priest, since both are useful not for their damage but for their utility that makes dungeon runs easier. Though the rest falls heavily upon the DPSes to get the boss's health down past a certain percentage to get out of a certain annoying phase.

What I do miss is the importance of stat bonuses and how much they mean, but all that seems to be overshadowed by gear score. One of these days when I am free, I should go and obtain every attribute point there is and get capped strength.
  • BeariieBeariie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,815
    MochaLatte wrote: »

6 Lifeskills maxed
    Fishing/music maxed
    lvl 100 Prestige
    All the drops from the Alchemy Ground/Air Mount random boxes
    +13-15 weapon w/ full armor/accessory set with piercing/boss rolls
    Accessories with expanded gem slots and lvl 2-3 gems in them
    8+ classes lvl 50
    All dyes/stars/trophies
    All earnable costume pieces and mounts
    All pets
    Fully designed house
    Max rank guild and guild house
    And more...

There is so much to do.

A lot of that doesnt even sound fun.
    Azkenaastronot
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Attend social parties at certain people's private homes? You are all welcomed in mine for those of you in NA-East. We can all gather on Ch6.

I made a little bar with some BIG secrets....it has a lot to do with the portals.
  • KitsunemitsuKitsunemitsu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 710
    if you're looking for an endless grind, this game isn't for you. there are plenty of korean endless grind mmos out there that's readily available. ms2 was marketed a certain way from the start. to be different from ms1 (an endless grind). this is a social mmo at its core with restrictive pve elements.

this game does not lack content by any means just because u don't like doing them/thinks its boring.
    Ryunacoalcoalcoal
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 885
    i think once do 30/30 dungeons and max level just play music and farm Treva in the pvp zones
  • AskaLanglyAskaLangly
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,085
    Give me 1.6 billion meso, then we'll talk.
    WINNING NUMBERS: 10,5, and 3!
    /disconnected
  • ZarozianZarozian
    if you're looking for an endless grind, this game isn't for you. there are plenty of korean endless grind mmos out there that's readily available. ms2 was marketed a certain way from the start. to be different from ms1 (an endless grind). this is a social mmo at its core with restrictive pve elements.

this game does not lack content by any means just because u don't like doing them/thinks its boring.

It’s social elements are being somewhat hindered. They should improve it a bit more, especially with the mini-games.
    Azkena
  • BeariieBeariie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,815
    i think once do 30/30 dungeons and max level just play music and farm Treva in the pvp zones

Game gonna be ded in no time if this is the only action were gonna be getting a weeks worth of in the future.
    XXPriestXX44
  • WhyWhyWhyWhy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,270
    the game was never meant to be played hardcore , is a social focus MMO , hence the housing and buying land in town etc , if this was a hardcore MMO , no one would ever waste 20+ M every month to have a land that does nothing to their stats
    TseneDekoponAzkenaGrizzly_Tank
  • DoggieDoggie
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,215
    MochaLatte wrote: »

Fully designed house

Mine is, pretty much. I need more houses. :o
  • TseneTsene
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,475
    edited 11:48AM October 24, 2018
    Beariie wrote: »
    A lot of that doesnt even sound fun.

Maybe this isn't the game for you then. If you only want gear progress, play other games when your cap is up. MS2 has a lot to offer for those who don't only want to gear up. It's not the game's fault that you don't like most of the content it offers. ''Dead game'' yeah no, but of course people like you would leave fast because you only want to do one thing in the game.
    Dyphax
  • ZarozianZarozian